Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

T-Square posted:

Smash burgs have the best easy:incredible ratio. I’ve had multiple people say “This is the best burger I’ve ever had” and it takes all of five minutes.

Currently looking for an excuse for some dinners with a chuck roast and short ribs so I can grind up some scraps to go with the ground brisket in the freezer for some A+ smash burgs

Yeah I finally gave smash burgers a try and can't imagine going back. The kids absolutely love them

I already had a cast iron griddle for the stove for making cheesesteaks so I didn't even have to buy any equipment (though I did end up buying a press instead of using the metal spatula)

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Intruder posted:

Yeah I finally gave smash burgers a try and can't imagine going back. The kids absolutely love them

I already had a cast iron griddle for the stove for making cheesesteaks so I didn't even have to buy any equipment (though I did end up buying a press instead of using the metal spatula)

I did the metal spatula last night for my first attempt and I'll be purchasing a press soon.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Can you make a smashburger with a Foreman grill? Like, if you press down on the lid?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

General Dog posted:

Can you make a smashburger with a Foreman grill? Like, if you press down on the lid?

not hot enough.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dango Bango posted:

Dammit! At the airport for work travel and I just realized I forgot my laptop and my headphones with a mic. Freaking covid brain fog from when I got it two months ago.

That freaking sucks!!

What are you going to do??

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

General Dog posted:

Foreman grills have the fake grillmark things, you need full contact of the meat against the pan to get the crisp outside

Also I've seen people say you can't really do it right on nonstick surfaces but seasoned cast iron is nonstick so :shrug:

Neil Armbong posted:

not hot enough.

also this I guess. you want your surface to be between 400 and 500

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

That freaking sucks!!

What are you going to do??

Thankfully I don't need it for any of the meetings I'm in town for. I'm basically missing out on being able to stay up on my work items during downtime at the hotel. I can at least handle emails and some items on my phone. It's only a 3 day trip so I should be fine.

I do need to go buy new headphones though. Ha.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I went on a work trip like 9 years ago and left my cellphone in the car. My wife dropped me off and I just left it sitting next to me. By the time I could reach her, it was too late to leave security, go get it, go back through security, and still make my flight. It was weird, but luckily I was with a bunch of other people, so it's not like I was unreachable, and it was only one day. It still sucks though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Dango Bango posted:

Thankfully I don't need it for any of the meetings I'm in town for. I'm basically missing out on being able to stay up on my work items during downtime at the hotel. I can at least handle emails and some items on my phone. It's only a 3 day trip so I should be fine.

I do need to go buy new headphones though. Ha.

I don't know your work requirements or budget, but you can get a Chromebook for emailing, Office, and dicking around for really cheap. The plus side is you could just have it as your "travel" laptop which makes it easier to deal with if lost or stolen.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Intruder posted:

Foreman grills have the fake grillmark things, you need full contact of the meat against the pan to get the crisp outside

Also I've seen people say you can't really do it right on nonstick surfaces but seasoned cast iron is nonstick so :shrug:

also this I guess. you want your surface to be between 400 and 500

Seasoned cast iron IS nonstick but it’s not a Teflon pan. You’re not supposed to use a coated nonstick pan at high heat and it seems like you need high heat for these burgers. So yeah, cast iron is nonstick because it’s seasoned, not because it was manufactured that way.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If your burgers are sticking to any sort of pan, you're using beef that is way too lean anyway.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lol

https://twitter.com/davidzipper/status/1617511883271028737?s=46&t=P4ujtQOqP_gxnHNHyiVL2Q

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
This thread seems to love tiny trucks

What Audi could’ve done on a wide scale with a little imagination!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2...urce=linkin.bio

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah you want to get your cast iron ripping hot so your smash burg is cooked and good crust is formed in like ~60 seconds per side and you really don’t wanna be eating food off a non-stick pan that’s been that hot

Also sorry to interject this into smashburg chat but holy gently caress I just blew like a pint of all the poo poo that’s been in my sinuses all week out and finished with slowly pulling one of those long snail trails out of my brain and I feel like a new man

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I wish Ford still.made the small Rangers. I just would like a small truck for doing dump runs and camping. Not something I can't see 6 ft infront of bc of clearance

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I loved my s10. It's rotting on the driveway because I can't be assed to jump through all the DMV hoops to get an actual title for it so I can sell it (the lender never sent the title, they're a credit union and don't have it any more, I gotta do... something... to make it right and I have to actually go stand in line at DMV to do that ugh). But yeah having a small truck in terms of height and width, but a 6' bed and a 4.3l v6, was fantastic. I don't want a behemoth, I want a vehicle I can haul a bunch of poo poo with and also actually park in a normal parking lot without getting dings on both sides from people's doors smashing into it because it's too loving wide.

The death of the small truck in the US is really sad. It basically came down to pricing I think, the automakers could sell a midsized for $10k+ more and it cost like $2k more to build because some extra frame and bodywork and maybe a slightly larger diff was the only real cost. Plus the truck-buying public really seemed to prefer being sold on raaagh BIG TRUCK vs. practicality and convenience.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That’s not really true based on the Mavericks success!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yeah, seems to come up every 6 months.

Amy Pole Her posted:

I know 4 people who own one and they all love them. 2 of them already ordered new ones with higher trim levels. The truck is an absolute hit.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

it's girl scout cookie season...........gently caress

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Lmao, welp somehow I missed 5 letter from my HOA about fines :suicide:

Atleast they dropped the late fees after I called them

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yeah I'm delighted to see a comeback. It remains to be seen whether every manufacturer can put a small truck in their lineup and still have them sell. It seems like the s10, ranger, etc. all disappeared around the same time. There may be enough interest to only sustain one or two manufacturers and if they all get into the business volume is too low to justify it for any of them.

Also to my eyes even a Maverick is way bigger than my old S10, but that's also just... all cars have gotten a big bloaty because they have to put in side impact door reinforcements and stuff that make them a bit thicc.

And you can't get them with 6'+ beds, let alone an 8' bed that you can put full size sheet goods in. Sad.

And the maverick hybrid is only available 2wd with a CVT, ughhh

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 23, 2023

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

wandler20 posted:

Yeah, seems to come up every 6 months.

I know 4 people who own one and they all love them. 2 of them already ordered new ones with higher trim levels. The truck is an absolute hit.

They're insanely hard to find down in South Florida. Local dealers are tacking on 15k to them. Excited for Ford to absolutely destroy these guys who are jacking up the prices, but the overall numbers are crazy. Ford's already announced they're expanding their line, so its pretty much the opposite of what I quoted.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

Lmao, welp somehow I missed 5 letter from my HOA about fines :suicide:

Atleast they dropped the late fees after I called them

What state

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

God look how much more bed there is on that ‘60s truck in spite of being almost a foot shorter. Glorified grocery haulers these days for sure

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
If you're hauling around 8' sheets of material constantly then a small truck probably isn't for you to begin with. My buddy who has a Maverick has used it a few times to haul plywood and he said with the tailgate being able to half fold down he can haul it pretty easily and not much hangs out.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

California

I mean, they're not wrong about the little patch of yard being overgrown, I turned off the sprinkler 2 years ago during the droughts and have just let go wild. Just somehow never got the letters to tell me and never checked the monthly bills because its been on auto-pay for years and I've been seeing the withdrawals on my bank statement. Definitely my gently caress up, but drat

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Haha, that was my first thought....

Take like an hour or two to research HOA laws in your state and your own HOAs covenant. I would guess like 75% of HOAs routinely violate one of them.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I hate my job so much

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

wandler20 posted:

If you're hauling around 8' sheets of material constantly then a small truck probably isn't for you to begin with. My buddy who has a Maverick has used it a few times to haul plywood and he said with the tailgate being able to half fold down he can haul it pretty easily and not much hangs out.

Yeah the ideal vehicle for dealing with sheet goods is either a Ford Transit Van, or a rented box truck, or literally anything that can haul a 10' trailer. But I really like having the option, and aside from that, being able e.g. put a cap on it and sleep in the back requires at least 6'.

Of course a huge proportion of actually used to do real work pickup trucks are sold as fleet sales, and fleet buyers are generally not going to buy trucks with 4' beds.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Amy Pole Her posted:

I saw a truck like this in my neighborhood the other day, which is a rowhome hellscape with pretty tight parking. Can't remember the manufacturer but I remember thinking "oh that's cute".

3 DONG HORSE posted:

it's girl scout cookie season...........gently caress

I'm going to demolish the first box that I purchase of the new raspberry ones, and if they are actually good then I will demolish many more.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Freaquency posted:

God look how much more bed there is on that ‘60s truck in spite of being almost a foot shorter. Glorified grocery haulers these days for sure

It sucks because they're so much taller now, too. My wife and I felt like kids trying to load up the truck we rented at Home Depot to haul cement board and drywall.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I love the idea of the Maverick, but I don't love that I can tow the same weight in my Legacy. I like the size of the Taco, but not sure if the interior is any bigger than a sedan and road trips with two car seats and a dog suuuuuck.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Honestly my Audi SUV is a great tow vehicle for the smaller stuff and I have an F250 for the big boats that are routinely 10k+ lbs.

The new F150s and Silverado 1500s actually tow as much as my older F250 while being a tiny tiny bit smaller (but bigger than that generation F150) in a MUCH more comfortable package. The new F150 Hybrid Platinums are selling for 100k while still being able to tow 10,500. Impressive but whose that for? No dude spending 100k on his hybrid truck is towing a drat thing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was reading an article about EV/hybrid trucks basically being a waste. The amount of effort going into them takes away from EV efforts for actual vehicles that it'd be useful, because trucks need a much bigger battery, and the amount of raw material is double that of an EV car. Being EVs are still a pain to find right now, I don't disagree with the assessment.

(we need to just get rid of cars as much as possible and replace with alternate modes of transportation / redesign cities to be closer and walkable but lol that's never happening in America anytime soon)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

I hate my job so much

same!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

C-Euro posted:

I'm going to demolish the first box that I purchase of the new raspberry ones, and if they are actually good then I will demolish many more.

Oh god don't tell me about these. I love raspberries!!!!!!!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

seiferguy posted:

I was reading an article about EV/hybrid trucks basically being a waste. The amount of effort going into them takes away from EV efforts for actual vehicles that it'd be useful, because trucks need a much bigger battery, and the amount of raw material is double that of an EV car. Being EVs are still a pain to find right now, I don't disagree with the assessment.

(we need to just get rid of cars as much as possible and replace with alternate modes of transportation / redesign cities to be closer and walkable but lol that's never happening in America anytime soon)

Alternatively, light trucks/SUVs are a hugely popular market segment. If they’re putting substantial resources into electrifying those now (including the charging infrastructure that will be necessary to make all EVs more viable) then I welcome them developing those platforms. Obviously it would be better if the resources went to whatever results in the most utility but :lol: at the markets ever working that way except for accidentally

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pron on VHS posted:

I hate my job so much

I can't tell if I hate my job or hate having to get work done at home while also tending to a < 1 year old child. Probably a mix of both.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

drat didn’t you just get a new gig and/or accept an ongoing position with your old gig too :(

Also trukk chat, there’s a used car dealer a few blocks from me and I don’t think it’s for sale because it’s all vinyled up in their dealer logo and signage and stuff, but they have a lil Suzuki Kei trukk parked on the corner for advertising and it has the cutest most adorable tiny lil chunky off-road tires and I want it so bad :kimchi::kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

T-Square posted:

drat didn’t you just get a new gig and/or accept an ongoing position with your old gig too :(

its the new main gig.

imagine working at a medical facility where admissions can override medical about who's an appropriate patient

now imagine admissions are all 24 year olds with no medical or clinical experience

NOW imagine...they're paid on commission

PRN night gig is fine, I just totally suck at it.