Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Let's all remember the literally impossible-without-an-online-solver clock puzzles in Final Fantasy 13-2, that due to how they worked had exponential difficulty, and by the end of teh game not only did they have like 1^100000000 possible solutions, they also were timed and randomised themselves every attempt if you failed.

I think I just did those... without an online solver?

Edit: Did a quick Google search and Oh My God are people salty about these lmao

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I didn't have trouble with them.

How didn't I have trouble with them!? :psyduck:

Because they're really loving easy. It's just a lot of people are either:
  1. Dumber than Snow Villiers.
  2. People who freeze up at the sight of a puzzle.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Jan 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Inspector Gesicht posted:

HITMAN: What's the point of leaderboards if that cheating oval office SPRUT is at the top of all of them? Beating the Bangkok mission in 7 seconds? Get the gently caress out of here.
LOL I love this extra much given that their whole bullshit about online-only for a single player game was so people couldn't do things like this.

Edit: Also to add one of my own, Fallen Order - there are so, so many nooks and crannies to explore and 95% of what you find is loving cosmetics for things I don't care about. In hindsight I feel like I wasted so much time getting 800 lightsaber colors.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Less Fat Luke posted:

Edit: Also to add one of my own, Fallen Order - there are so, so many nooks and crannies to explore and 95% of what you find is loving cosmetics for things I don't care about. In hindsight I feel like I wasted so much time getting 800 lightsaber colors.

When I got to the 2nd planet, that's when I realized the same thing. I guess if you're a huge Star Wars fan/nerd and have a favorite lightsaber it might be cool but for the rest of us it's just garbage.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Hector Delgado posted:

When I got to the 2nd planet, that's when I realized the same thing. I guess if you're a huge Star Wars fan/nerd and have a favorite lightsaber it might be cool but for the rest of us it's just garbage.
Yeah and the worst part is that there *are* stim and life/force upgrades but its truly 5% of the chests, goddamn.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

BioEnchanted posted:

Let's all remember the literally impossible-without-an-online-solver clock puzzles in Final Fantasy 13-2, that due to how they worked had exponential difficulty, and by the end of teh game not only did they have like 1^100000000 possible solutions, they also were timed and randomised themselves every attempt if you failed.

I don't remember any clock puzzle, but I definitely played through that game without any help from a guide.

I mean, not to boast, but I am that good sorry

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

HITMAN: What's the point of leaderboards if that cheating oval office SPRUT is at the top of all of them? Beating the Bangkok mission in 7 seconds? Get the gently caress out of here.

Just 47 being in character as a speedrunner.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Except it's game design.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
To be fair, I am not my character. We have different experiences, different frames of reference. For the time I am playing, the protagonist and I may be sharing the present experience but our abilities are not the same. The character may be able to solve puzzles much better than I. Or vice versa. I find it frustrating either way; better to not have any puzzles at all unless I'm playing a puzzle game. Or just stick with towers of hanoi / pipe dream / sweet spot bullshit

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Oh my wet christ the cutscenes in the star wars game on PS+. Plus the player character moves like he has an ear infection. Backtrack to open a gated rock wall and I get a loving poncho skin? I look like a rick astley fortnite skin why is that helping??

edit: was a few pages behind and too annoyed to catch up but looks like i should have read this page

edit 2 (waiting for a cutscene to end): it runs like absolute poo poo too. don’t worry about jumping off elevators like a souls game it’s literally reloading rock textures

edit 3: Also apparently super easy to misread the map (which clips with geometry between the camera and the map) and realize that you have to take the elevator back. Where even am I and why? Don’t say “the cutscene explained it” I swear to god.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 04:45 on Jan 23, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the subtle wrongness of fallen order’s PC model has driven many a mind to madness

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

SLOSifl posted:

I look like a rick astley fortnite skin

I never thought about it like that but it makes all the sense

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

That's just how Cameron Monaghan is, leave the man alone.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

credburn posted:

I don't remember any clock puzzle, but I definitely played through that game without any help from a guide.

I mean, not to boast, but I am that good sorry

Most of the puzzles arent hard but theres one optional area that is nothing but puzzles and it gets really annoying

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

I don't even pay attention to leaderboards anymore because you know it's some guy/girl who broke the code.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I have fond memories of watching seven of my friends in college desperately trying to solve one of those clock puzzles.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The thing with Hitman is that there are a bunch of levels that can be beaten in well under 30 second and it's a coin flip as to whether a 12 second time is legit or bullshit.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Justin Godscock posted:

I don't even pay attention to leaderboards anymore because you know it's some guy/girl who broke the code.

I like friend leaderboards tho. With Hitman 2 I had fun going for gold and every time I had the second or third spot it would encourage me to improve my times.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The thing with Hitman is that there are a bunch of levels that can be beaten in well under 30 second and it's a coin flip as to whether a 12 second time is legit or bullshit.

Yeah, look up individual level times on speedrun dot com if you are curious, since those are verified. The whole Hitman: World of Assasination trilogy* can be beat in 20 minutes in-game... as a marathon run. It would be even less if you'd stitch together the best times for seperate levels.

Dubai (first level in Hitman 3) can be done in 10 seconds. Bangkok from Hitman 1 just needs 19 seconds in H3. There are even faster times for Any% but not going for the five star Silent Assassin rating means you'd not end up on the top of the in-game leaderboard anyway.

*They don't do the ICA Training levels or Ambrose Island on marathon runs.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:03 on Jan 23, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It helps when these names on the scoreboard have a youtube recording to back up their record.

A complete nobody called SPRUT popping up first place in every board and nowhere else on the internet is vibrating-anal-bead obvious cheating.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Though it's unlikely to be patched any time soon, PYF thing dragging down millennia old game Chess: I don't like that you can no longer castle if the king would hypothetically go into check during the invisible texas switch it makes with the rook. Even if it's some bishop halfway across the board near the start of the game.

The logic is that I'd be putting myself in danger if they were real moves... but first off it doesn't apply to the rook, and second the moves didn't happen, they're simulated and you can tell because the opponent's turn is skipped. Castling prevention doesn't account for the opponent needing to go if the moves were real - they would have to do something else for 3 turns straight and keep me in danger the entire time. It's just silly because anyone with the opportunity would take it and the game would end, so all castling can safely assume it didn't happen and wasn't possible.

edit: Also, if I'd be putting myself in check, wouldn't continuing the castle logically get you out of it?? It's not a checkmate, I can still move, and the king wouldn't land on a square where it'd be captured because that's when the rook takes its place! Weird case of both considering and not considering the opponent's agency.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:28 on Jan 23, 2023

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

CJacobs posted:

Though it's unlikely to be patched any time soon, PYF thing dragging down millennia old game Chess: I don't like that you can no longer castle if the king would hypothetically go into check during the invisible texas switch it makes with the rook. Even if it's some bishop halfway across the board near the start of the game.

The logic is that I'd be putting myself in danger if they were real moves... but first off it doesn't apply to the rook, and second the moves didn't happen, they're simulated and you can tell because the opponent's turn is skipped. Castling prevention doesn't account for the opponent needing to go if the moves were real - they would lol lhave to do something else for 3 turns straight and keep me in danger the entire time. It's just silly because anyone with the opportunity would take it and the game would end, so all castling can safely assume it didn't happen and wasn't possible.

edit: Also, if I'd be putting myself in check, wouldn't continuing the castle logically get you out of it?? It's not a checkmate, I can still move, and the king wouldn't land on a square where it'd be captured because that's when the rook takes its place! Weird case of both considering and not considering the opponent's agency.

Chess has a couple weird rules like that that seem like someone pulled the old school yard "no no see my dad worked at Ancient Nintendo and he says that en passant is a real rule that is very strong and is my friend" and it just got recorded into an official rule book at some point

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ohhh god drat you en passant. You are so right.

edit: I flipped the board but Mew's not underneath, what gives

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:37 on Jan 23, 2023

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
When I was a kid I read about en passant in a book and tried to tell my grampa about it next time we played chess, and he thought I was making things up.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Some of the rules in chess definitely feel like houserules that became the norm, complete with obvious loophole abuse and even more rules.

Most games spend several turns just moving pawns up the board? gently caress it, each pawn can move two spaces as their first move to hurry the gently caress up.

You have a pawn that you can't move because I would capture it when it moves forward, so you en passent to evade capture? gently caress off, that's not what was meant by the rule and you know it.

I don't know where castling came from, but saying that "you can't castle if the king would pass through any square where they could have been captured" seems... really dumb.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Randalor posted:

Some of the rules in chess definitely feel like houserules that became the norm, complete with obvious loophole abuse and even more rules.

Most games spend several turns just moving pawns up the board? gently caress it, each pawn can move two spaces as their first move to hurry the gently caress up.

You have a pawn that you can't move because I would capture it when it moves forward, so you en passent to evade capture? gently caress off, that's not what was meant by the rule and you know it.

I don't know where castling came from, but saying that "you can't castle if the king would pass through any square where they could have been captured" seems... really dumb.

Imagine a medieval armchair general going "Um, actually, if a real king would try to castle, clearly a real knight would spot the opportunity and dart in to capture him before he could get to safety, and furthermore..."

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Jan 23, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

And what's up with knights not being able to move in a straight line? Have the designers ever even seen a horse?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"My Bishop takes your Knight"
"Alright Padre. You, me, courtyard. *clanks off to get his sword*"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Tom Francis recently put out an angry little rant about Chess and its bullshit. It's a good read.

https://www.pentadact.com/2022-11-10-five-problems-with-chess/

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Randalor posted:

I think that's sorta what happened if I remember right. Pawns used to be able to move one space only, and over time it changed until two spaces became the official rule sometime in the medieval era or something.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

"My Bishop takes your Knight"
"Alright Padre. You, me, courtyard. *clanks off to get his sword*"

Well now I kinda want Battle Chess, but with actual fighting game mechanics for each capture. That pawn wants to take a knight? Sure, he *might* be able to, but he better be good.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

quote:

5. Stalemate is a wildly stupid concept

All that draw stuff, above, is what I thought ‘stalemate’ meant – you determine no-one can win and it’s a draw. That’s not it! A stalemate is when one player, let’s say white, is left in a position where every move they can make would let their king be taken. Ooh, tough game design problem! Who can say who should win that game? Maybe a draw, maybe white wins, maybe it’s illegal to put someone in that position?

What the everloving gently caress is this bullshit? "You put your opponent into an unwinnable position, therefore no one wins!" This is pro-tier rules-lawyering bullshit right here. "Aha, but if you capture my king, then how can you put my king into check?"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Randalor posted:

What the everloving gently caress is this bullshit? "You put your opponent into an unwinnable position, therefore no one wins!" This is pro-tier rules-lawyering bullshit right here. "Aha, but if you capture my king, then how can you put my king into check?"

I knew about en passant but this bullshit was new to me too lmao

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Tom Francis recently put out an angry little rant about Chess and its bullshit. It's a good read.

https://www.pentadact.com/2022-11-10-five-problems-with-chess/

quote:

This is two more special cases: no other piece has range other than infinity or 1
Wait until this fucker hears about knights

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Captain Hygiene posted:

And what's up with knights not being able to move in a straight line? Have the designers ever even seen a horse?

I read/heard somewhere that the reason knights move in weird patterns and jump over other pieces isn't because people have weird ideas about how horses move; the space represented by the chessboard isn't the physical space of a battlefield; it's a metaphorical space of court intrigue, and knights, being sort of in-between the peasantry (pawns) and nobility (bishops, kings, queens, etc.), they have a bit of an odd political position within the court, and are more "mobile" in that space, hence being able to move unfettered from the back row (nobility) to jump into the action of the pawns.

A lot of the stuff in chess makes at least a little more sense from the "court intrigue" point of view, e.g. why would bishops be on a battlefield?

otoh that may all be bullshit invented after the fact to justify what were just game design decisions.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

A lot of the stuff in chess makes at least a little more sense from the "court intrigue" point of view, e.g. why would bishops be on a battlefield?

otoh that may all be bullshit invented after the fact to justify what were just game design decisions.

I've been told that the earliest version of chess had warships instead of bishops, and that the diagonal movement is from ships tacking into the wind. Then the church officials got pissy that they weren't in this newfangled board game and, well, you can change ships or rooks and ships made less sense than battlements on a battlefield.

Absolutely no idea how true that is or even where I heard it from now.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If you're in a position where any move you make would let the opponent take your king, don't you... lose? I guess I thought that's what checkmate was

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

2house2fly posted:

If you're in a position where any move you make would let the opponent take your king, don't you... lose? I guess I thought that's what checkmate was

Castling moves the King 2-3 spaces and a rook several pieces past them all in one move, if the King is checked At Any Point in that move it's an illegal move. Despite the fact that the opponent has no way to act on the check to capture the king.

This rule also is why you can't castle OUT of check (since the start of the move is checked, obv)

This reminds me that castling AT ALL is illegal of the Rook or King have moved even once at all since the game has begun. One bigtime chess tournament had a controversial game a while back as one player moved the king, moved it back, and then castled (over the course of many moves), and the ref didn't catch it; nobody caught it for several days (at least).

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Jan 23, 2023

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Checkmate is when you can't move your king out of check.

You can't move your king into check.

Stalemate is when you can't move your king, because it would be in check then.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Randalor posted:

i don't know what you think en passant means but your description of it makes 0 sense

the en passant rule was added to patch a hole added by the "pawns can move two spaces on their first turn" rule.
it's just that, if a pawn does move two spaces, but you could've captured it if it only moved one space instead, then you get to pretend it only moved one space and capture it anyway. the en passant rule is the capturing rule

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Post poste posted:

Checkmate is when you can't move your king out of check.

You can't move your king into check.

Stalemate is when you can't move your king, because it would be in check then.

Stalemate is when you can't move ANY piece, for example if all you have are deadlocked pawns and your king is cornered but not checked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
So if the game is turning against you you can avoid losing by trying to manipulate your opponent into stalemate? This has almost certainly been a plot point in a movie at some point