Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the best 3D thing I ever saw was this

https://weirdal.fandom.com/wiki/Al%27s_Brain

it's weird that this fan wiki doesn't mention that it's full of cameos. off the top of my head I remember it had Thomas Lennon and Patton Oswalt in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al%27s_Brain

it's got Tim and Eric in it too. wish I could find a copy.

DR FRASIER KRANG has issued a correction as of 19:55 on Jan 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Substandard posted:

If you have a VR headset 3d movies look pretty good on those. I watched a couple of things on it when I first got mine. I remember Hugo in particular looking great.

how's that work? do you need inserts or does the 3d just function automatically?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
as far as rich child movies go I liked Blank Check more than Richie Rich because he made his money righteously and I had the hots for Duff

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

StashAugustine posted:

Death of Stalin is technically a comic book movie

So is A history of violence! Both movies are way better than the comics too

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

as far as rich child movies go I liked Blank Check more than Richie Rich because he made his money righteously and I had the hots for Duff

yeah same. i also like the 90s moral of "a million bucks isn't actually a lot of money". that'd barely buy a downtown condo now lol

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

indigi posted:

loved that movie as a kid but nowadays its hard to ignore the pedo subplot

wasnt there some weirdo poster with the name Preston Waters?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
blank check is cool because the bad guys are Tone Loc and Miguel Ferrer.

the best part is the giant wall of CRTs he built to play Afterburner on.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

mawarannahr posted:

i saw fury road in 3D and I really hated the experience and the movie, probably somewhat as a result. I’m glad they’re not a thing anymore. remember 3D tvs? lol

I saw one of those dogshit hobbit movies in 3d and after that I was like nope not gonna do that again but Avatar 2 really made it immersive. Like fish were swimming right in front of your face

Avatar 2 finally delivers on the promise of cool screensavers from the 90's. The future is now

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

i say swears online posted:

how's that work? do you need inserts or does the 3d just function automatically?

It just works. You just load up a 3d movie file on one of the normal movie theater apps. I think I was using Big Screen. I don't really know how it does it, but I think because it's already got high frequency displays for both eyes it can just simulate the 3d effect.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

indigi posted:

I was also a Blank Check boy, not a Richie Rich one, and I bet it turns out it wasn't the amazing movie I thought it was when my brain wasn't developed

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

cancel culture has gone too far

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I was also a Blank Check boy, not a Richie Rich one, and I bet it turns out it wasn't the amazing movie I thought it was when my brain wasn't developed

I mean, the undercover fbi agent goes on a date with an 11 year old child and dances in a fountain with him.

there's a lot going on.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I mean, the undercover fbi agent goes on a date with an 11 year old child and dances in a fountain with him.

there's a lot going on.

quote:

11-year-old Preston Waters laments his relative lack of money compared to his entrepreneurial older brothers and his working class father, an investor.

i can't even make it past the first sentence in the plot synopsis without recoiling

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

another blank check fact: the mansion is in austin and robert rodriguez lives there now

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

loved that movie as a kid but nowadays its hard to ignore the pedo subplot

wasnt there some weirdo poster with the name Preston Waters?

I thought the subplot was the stinking pig lies to the kid to gain his trust rather than that she wanted to actually be his girlfriend. but I haven't seen it since the 90s so maybe I’m wrong

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the guy who wrote blank check became the hollywood script guy. Every wannabe screenwriter read his book, Save The Cat, and script readers basically judge you on if you followed what he said.

He also wrote Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot! which has a 4.3 on IMDB (Blank Check has a 5.2)

edit: his only other IMDB credit is Save the Cat! Goes Anime lmao

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 20:48 on Jan 23, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Antonymous posted:

He also wrote Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot! which has a 4.3 on IMDB (Blank Check has a 5.2)

sold for $500,000 in 1989 lol

it's amazing that those are the only two screenplays he sold

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

oh drat he died right after he put that book out

he spent the end of his days trying to prove Memento is a bad script btw. obsessively

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Antonymous posted:

oh drat he died right after he put that book out

seems like he reached the end of his arc

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

sold for $500,000 in 1989 lol

it's amazing that those are the only two screenplays he sold

it's possible he sold or optioned many more which simply didn't get made. it's amazing those are the ones that did!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Antonymous posted:

he spent the end of his days trying to prove Memento is a bad script btw. obsessively

DON'T BELIEVE HIS LIES

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Antonymous posted:

it's possible he sold or optioned many more which simply didn't get made

an actual good counterpart to Save The Cat is "Writing Movies For Fun and Profit" by Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant which is a guidebook on how to write the kind of lovely comedy scripts that get passed around for years before actually getting made

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I'm not a screenwriter but I read Mckee's "Story" and I basically 100% agree with everything in it but it's kinda so basic and obvious that you also might not learn anything from it if you have any other background in storytelling. He seems to be the main guy who talks about unconscious desire driving character action, if you wanna write something like that

Save The Cat is a set-by-step guide to writing a screenplay that can sell and I think is by far the most restrictive of any of the 'story structure' books, which might be why it was popular, it's as close to fill in the blank as you can get. His book is the only one that really breaks down the second half of act 2 which is cool I guess.

Movies are actually usually four acts but because we don't have two words for 'the middle' we have the beginning, the middle part A, the middle part B, and the end - 3 'acts' lol

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

indigi posted:

I thought the subplot was the stinking pig lies to the kid to gain his trust rather than that she wanted to actually be his girlfriend. but I haven't seen it since the 90s so maybe I’m wrong

thats a good point. Havent seen the movie since i was a kid so i will go with this interpretation for now

i think their romantic subplot ended with the hot agent saying that she will wait for him to grow up tho...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

why do i like first acts way more than third? i feel like movies drop the ball in the third act like 80% of the time

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

why do i like first acts way more than third? i feel like movies drop the ball in the third act like 80% of the time

you seem to have answered your question

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Antonymous posted:

Save The Cat is a set-by-step guide to writing a screenplay that can sell and I think is by far the most restrictive of any of the 'story structure' books, which might be why it was popular, it's as close to fill in the blank as you can get. His book is the only one that really breaks down the second half of act 2 which is cool I guess.

Movies are actually usually four acts but because we don't have two words for 'the middle' we have the beginning, the middle part A, the middle part B, and the end - 3 'acts' lol

it's not bad as a gift for a teenager or like a middle-aged parent who needs a hobby but if you've put any thought into writing a screenplay already, you're probably already past the point where you'll glean anything useful from it.

as far as big picture story insights, "Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell is an easy read because it's just a transcript of a conversation and probably has bigger, better ideas to kick around in your head for awhile. but yeah, very much the opposite of Save The Cat - not a workbook, no exercises, no fill in the blanks, just two guys having a conversation about why we tell stories the way we do.

also my first introduction to the 4-Act structure was Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg posting their whiteboard they used to plan out the screenplays of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz

Pepe Silvia Browne has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Jan 23, 2023

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

i can't even make it past the first sentence in the plot synopsis without recoiling

the movie is obsessed with money, the kid constantly complains that he can't do anything fun without money, he only has fun when he spends money, and once the money is out the good times stop

it's the most American movie ever made

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

WampaLord posted:

the movie is obsessed with money, the kid constantly complains that he can't do anything fun without money, he only has fun when he spends money, and once the money is out the good times stop

it's the most American movie ever made

you forgot about the part where he's surrounded by all the stuff he bought but he's completely alone and unhappy anyway.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wow you guys figured out the moral of the movie for children. good job

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Endings are the most important part of the film, and also the hardest. It's what's going to give the feeling the audience walks away from. You have to satisfyingly tie up everything and do it bigger than anything that came before. Ideally I think a writer should come up with endings and work backwards, but usually people think of a character or premise and go forward.

I can imagine someone says
"this new film I watched, the beginning was amazing, the middle ok, and the ending sucked!" - no way I'm going to see it
"this new film I watched, the beginning was awful, the middle ok, and the ending incredible!" - ok I kinda want to see it now

the beginning you get to teach people stuff, mystery, cool lore, cool characters, people like that
the ending you have to work with what you already set up in a way the audience doesn't predict, but believes, and feels strong emotion from, and doesn't leave any big loose ends

Fox Searchlight executives said they buy endings. if your script doesn't have a good ending they don't want it. and then they develop from there. They said TV is hard for them because the idea of TV is there is no ending.

I see a lot of films cop out with ambiguous endings, cutting just before a big reveal, or a sudden surreal ending, to try to get out of it and basically say "I leave the ending as an exercise for the viewer"
Ambiguity is an unclear answer, no one wants that. Mystery is good but mystery is like a well posed, deep question. But they seem to be conflated a lot.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

indigi posted:

wow you guys figured out the moral of the movie for children. good job

there's no moral you absolute moron.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Antonymous posted:

"this new film I watched, the beginning was awful, the middle ok, and the ending incredible!" - ok I kinda want to see it now

Baz Luhrmann's Elvis

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Hot take: but as Charles Kane got richer he actually got lonelier, not happier.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah that's the best part, you would think that the movie ends on a note of "well, i can have fun and live a good life even without money" but instead it ends on the weird FBI lady agreeing to date him when he turns older and they negotiate on the terms of when exactly is "old enough"

:chloe:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

oh nevermind. you didn’t

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

there's a lot going on.

it was a different time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Baz Luhrmann's Elvis

really? i felt it dragging and stopped halfway through

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

really? i felt it dragging and stopped halfway through

Just one man's opinion but I think it really turned itself around right around the scene where Elvis was trying to reinvent himself with the Live special and by the ending I had come around on what Baz was trying to do with the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
That being said, Tom Hanks still gives a particularly bad performance in it lol