Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I think it'll be fine if people could talk about the game like any other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

This is so stupid

What specifically do you think is stupid?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
What's a Harry Potter? Is that like a Rusty Trombone?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Givin posted:

It’s short for Harold Potter

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Givin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXJcQkvRa4&t=27s

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I feel like a lot of the time when a subject generates bad discussion, the real problem is people saying "Oh boy, we're talking about *topic*? Here comes the bad discussion. oh my god can you guys not bring it up, we're gonna get so much bad discussion"

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Let's talk more about this. If anyone wants to talk about video games, they can use the Games Forum Feedback thread, no one's using that at the moment.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want to apologize to everyone who has valid reasons for not getting the Harry Potter game while I'm sitting here not having liked anything about the wizard kid since the books first came out. Sucks to have to re-evaluate your enjoyment with a franchise due to a large portion of it being crafted by a nutjob.

It'd be like for me if Sonic the Hedgehog as a brand became synonymous with odd corners of the internet that have such sights to show you. oh

EDIT: I'm going to start Forbidden West tonight

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
instead of the Harry Potter game buy theaterythm final bar line, it will be fun

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

For the game itself its not just that JK is a nutjob, the stated plot of it seems pretty sus (put down a goblin rebellion) and the lead developer of it before he was booted out had heavy ties to the alt-right.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Relax Or DIE posted:

instead of the Harry Potter game buy theaterythm final bar line, it will be fun

theatrhythm sucks unless its in a arcade

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

hog goblins, hog goblins
what do you do with those hog goblins

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

hog goblins, hog goblins
what do you do with those hog goblins

Crank them

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I feel like a lot of the time when a subject generates bad discussion, the real problem is people saying "Oh boy, we're talking about *topic*? Here comes the bad discussion. oh my god can you guys not bring it up, we're gonna get so much bad discussion"

I completely agree.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

For the game itself its not just that JK is a nutjob, the stated plot of it seems pretty sus (put down a goblin rebellion) and the lead developer of it before he was booted out had heavy ties to the alt-right.

I don't care if anyone plays the game or not, but Leavitt was one of a dozen game directors working on it. He also was not on the writing team.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think there being a dozen directors in general is more of an issue

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I like the setting of the Potter books, it's just that the characters are unlikable little bastards and the plots are dumb, so other, probably better writers taking the setting and doing something with it to make Skyrim Bully interests me enough to pick it up if reviews don't say it's a broken mess. Gonna wait for other people to sink their cash and write reviews before doing anything, but that's been my default for years now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Escobarbarian posted:

What specifically do you think is stupid?

People acting like not buying the stupid game is morally correct. It is just arbitrary lines in the sand, but whatever makes people feel good.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I've liked the gameplay videos so far

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

People acting like not buying the stupid game is morally correct. It is just arbitrary lines in the sand, but whatever makes people feel good.

you'll love this post then

https://www.resetera.com/threads/concerning-hogwarts-legacy-and-jk-rowling.678517/

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

I think there being a dozen directors in general is more of an issue

That really depends. Most games have multiple directors and producers over different parts of the game and different teams.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mr Hootington posted:

Not directly giving money to rampant TERFs is good imo

That said if you want to play the game just get it second hand so all the money goes to the dealer, this is a solved problem

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I didn't clikc on this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Several parallel directors, not necessarily a problem. Several serial directors, very likely a problem. I don't know which one it is here

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I want a witch game like the book Little Witch Hazel. So like, whatever the genre that A Short Hike is.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh Resetera permabanned me three months ago lol

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

hatty posted:

Oh Resetera permabanned me three months ago lol

What did you do :allears:

Their ban reasons are always so insane

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I said downloading roms is good and okay too many times I think

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rarity posted:

Not directly giving money to rampant TERFs is good imo

That said if you want to play the game just get it second hand so all the money goes to the dealer, this is a solved problem

Do you make this same moral judgment before buying every game?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I have no plans to buy the alt-right hogwarts legacy or the woke-left Forespoken

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

I don’t think every game is based on a JK Rowling property

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Mr Hootington posted:

You dont have to when you buy every game second hand

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

I agree that it's silly to prioritize denying what's probably fifty cents worth of royalties to a boomer second-wave feminist for shitposting on twitter when we're all surrounded by mass-produced items that directly stem from slave labor. But I do it too; I refuse to buy Roman Polanski movies on account of the whole, y'know, literal child rapist thing. So whatevs, more power to them.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Mr Hootington posted:

I mean, if there are other big franchises that will benefit gigantic terfs too; I am fully willing to listen and note

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mr Hootington posted:

I have no plans to buy the alt-right hogwarts legacy or the woke-left Forespoken

Your posts are whack OP.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t think every game is based on a JK Rowling property

No but many games are developed by companies or have individuals involved that are as lovely or shittier than her. Blizzard-Activision or Amazon Games come to mind.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mr Hootington posted:

No but many games are developed by companies or have individuals involved that are as lovely or shittier than her. Blizzard-Activision or Amazon Games come to mind.

As a trans person JKR's lovely opinions have a direct impact on the movement to restrict my human rights so I can do whatever the gently caress I want

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Vermain posted:

we were chatting about this in the horror thread re: callisto and it was brought up that the industry as a whole has a massive project management problem, and it's hard to disagree

i don't think the people working on forspoken were bumbling incompetents at all, but when you get something as massively complex as a AAA video game with a ton of executive fingers jamming into the pie, then you need a really solid captain who knows how to keep the ship sailing straight and deliver a saleable product on time, and there's an almost total absence of them in the scene. not to do too much hagiography on the guy, but i'm positive the whole reason they put yoshida on FFXVI is because he seems to be the only person at SE who knows how to get a game to gold without a ten car pileup of delays along the way

bouncin out of the terf chat zone to reply to this from earlier today, only that it made me think of some interview I saw with yoshida where he explains how he produces FFXVI, and he's basically like yeah I've got a big spreadsheet that tells me exactly how long it's going to take every employee to deliver every bit of content down to the second. I think it even factored in like coffee/lunch breaks. But it does mean that for a game like FF14 there aren't really any big surprises or wild swings - even the patches/expansions are predictable by design in terms of how many new maps/bits of content you're getting, and at which point in the update cycle you're getting them .

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Please Permaban the weird psychoposters from the chat thread, as they have made it incredibly fail. Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

I'm fine with this policy, but this is pretty rich given that their terrible moderation has long since driven away most of the trans community there