Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Not sure if this should go here or the BWM thread but here we go, from Ask Amy:

Ask Amy: Woman concerned her granddaughters might be trying to ‘get at’ her Beanie Baby collection

Umm, is this from 1995?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That photo of people arguing over a huge pile of beanie babies on an office floor, except it's at a reading of the will

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

haveblue posted:

That photo of people arguing over a huge pile of beanie babies on an office floor, except it's at a reading of the will

Excuse me, but I believe it was a court room floor

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

haveblue posted:

The one you're talking about was in a courtroom and being divided up because of divorce.

The divorced couple couldn't agree on how to do it so the judge ordered them to spread them on the floor and supervised them to be distributed one by one.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 23, 2023

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
AITA for insisting my sister pay for my car to be cleaned after my niece got carsick and threw up all over? My sister says me "circling and circling" for a better parking space is why she got sick and refuses.

quote:

I created a unique account for this because some of the rules on the side bar made me a little nervous and I don't want my sister to know my real reddit account.

This morning I went to my sister's house to help out for Sunday dinner which she was going to bring to her in-laws for the football games today. She needed to go the grocery store so I offered to drive. My niece came with us.

I honestly don't know the whole timeline here because she started yelling right away but MAYBE we are talking 5-7 minutes. I wanted to park as close as I could to the front door because I hate to walk very far to get in a store. For whatever reason the parking lot was packed so it took a little while of driving to find a good spot. A few minutes into it my niece started saying she wasn't feeling well. I told her just a few minutes. My sister started screaming "oh my god just park, just park" I told her my reasoning and she said "I don't give a gently caress, just park." I told her that was nice language in front of her kid and at that exact moment my niece threw up all over the back seat of my car. My sister asked "are you happy?" and I responded with "yeah you are paying for that to be detailed" and then we got in this huge screaming match and she eventually she went in the store without even offering to help me clean out most of the mess on the spot. She got her husband to pick her and my niece up and I haven't seen her.

We have been exchanging angry texts all day long and I think I should hold firm that she needs to have my car fully detailed.

I guess while I'm holding firm, am I the rear end in a top hat?

edit: can people please read the question I'm asking?

AITA for only promoting college/high school employees to trainer/team lead over adult employees?

quote:

I’m (25F) a manager at a restaurant, I became a manager a year ago. We have a few different managers but I’m an assistant GM so I usually take care of interviews, new hires, making the schedule, etc.. At our work there’s GM, assistant GM, Team Leads (aka trainers), then associates.

Most of our employees are teens, mainly high school, and some college. We hired 5 new people last month, We also made a few high schoolers promoted to team lead.

We have an employee “Tara” who’s been here for 2 years, she’s 20. She’s very reliable and excellent with customers. She’s been reliable back when she didn’t have a car and used to walk across town to work. She has only called out once, ever, when she was sick. She’d still continue to show up to work even when she knew she’d be closing alone due to callouts, she’s extremely fast, too. She’s good about picking up shifts or working doubles, and she’s cross-trained. However, even though she’s worked here longer than the team leads, what she lacks is that she’s the quietest of everyone. She’s friendly but the college and high schoolers are just more fun and talkative, and always have stories to share from outside of work. I recently made a girl a team lead because her boyfriend is a team lead so it would be fitting for them to both be team leads, it’s a better look with the team. it’s hard not to favor them.

I’ve noticed when Tara is working and a new employee is working, she’s always correcting the new employee when they’re doing something wrong or poorly, or she’s showing them how to do things or giving them something to do if they’re standing around. She is only an associate, she is not a team lead/trainer, it’s not her role to be training. Recently when she was doing this, the new employee thanked her and said she’s been really helpful and nice to her. Again, Tara should not be “training” employees, Only team leads can train employees, not associates.

When I confronted Tara she was saying “So when I see them doing something incorrectly I should just do nothing?” And said that she was only being helpful to them. And apparently one time the new employee rang up an order wrong on the register because he didn’t know had certain things were, so he just decided to hit something random hoping it was correct, and when “Tara” made the drink the customer confronted her about it saying it was wrong, so Tara confronted the employee about it to see where it went wrong and explained to him how to ring correctly. I stopped her in the middle of it and asked her what she was doing, she said she was explaining to him for future reference and telling him to always repeat the order back to the customer to make sure it's right. I told her it's not her role to do that and to just fix what the customer wants. Training people is not her job as only an associate.

Ever since, I noticed she doesn’t make as much effort as she used to and just does, well, bare minimum. She’s still a great employee, what I mean is she doesn’t fill in as much anymore when we need someone to cover a shift. She was always a great fill in when we needed someone. She was sort of like a team lead, but without the title and I just feel she’s better as a sub/fill in because when I need someone I really rely on her to pick up the shift because she’s the more reliable of everyone else, especially sometimes because we have our morning team lead who usually wants to go home early lately, who does college after work. I just don’t believe she’d fit the role of being a team lead, as I mostly like to give it to students, she just works and there’s nothing wrong with that as she’s got more reliability than students so she can be helpful in that part of it, and the students can train the trainees. She’s kind of quiet so I think trainees would have a hard time with her, the students are just more “loud” and talkative, making them naturally more appealing to be a trainer. I really don’t have anything against Tara, she’s very reliable and her not being chosen for a role doesn’t mean I don’t like her. I usually choose students to be team leads because they get a raise typically and within a few years they’ll move onto something elsewhere, which keeps the position moving with replacing different employees for different positions, where as a non student will likely always drag the position because they’re unlikely to move on somewhere else which keeps the position “stuck”.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Back on the mid-90s, my friend worked in a toyshop in the middle of Chicago, and she said the day when the beanie baby box was shipped in was the most unbelievably crazy day every week.
No-one knew in advance what The Box would hold, so all the "investors" would be there in time to se it opened, then pounce upon it like starved zombies to try to find the rarest ones.
They fought and bit each other to get to the special goddamn teddy bears.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

god imagine being in the back seat of a car with a kid you know is about to throw up and all this motherfucker has to do is park and he just won't do it

I might have punched him in the back of the head

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
AITA for arguing with my parents over beanie babies?

quote:

Hi this is my first time posting on AITA and I am ready for my honest judgement.

So I am a 15 year old girl so I understand that I am supposed to listen to my parents and all that. The other day my aunt (who I am very close to) recently asked me if I would want all her old beanie babies and stuffed bears that she had collected over the years since she knew I love stuffed animals. She used to be very into bears and some of them are 20+ years old. So of course I said yes to her because again I love stuffed animals and collect them. Well once they got here me and my mom went through them and mymom found out that some of them were worth a lot of money. Like 3oo to 500 dollars. Of course my mom told my dad this and they discussed selling them all even though my aunt had given them to me not them. I went up to my dad and told him at least let me keep the ones I really like even if they were a lot of money and his words to me were. "If they are worth money we are selling them. End of discussion." I even tried to bring up that they were given to me not them but they didn't care. I feel bad for arguing and getting upset over it because they brought up that the money would be used for food and clothes towards me and my sister but i still tried to insist that they were now my beanie babies and not thiers. They haven't even told my aunt that they plan to sell them. My aunt had these bears for years and I was planning to keep them too. I understand money is important but it's not like we are in a tough spot. They told me I can keep the ones that aren't worth much but I just want to keep the ones I liked. My sister even claimed one earlier and they took it back from here even though she really liked it. The ones I liked happen to be worth a few hundred bucks too.

What I'm really getting at here is would WIBTA if I took the ones I liked and hid them? I feel like if they didn't notice all of them then I may have the chance to take the ones I like and hide them till my parents sell the others. I feel like they wouldn't notice as I have a lot of stuffed animals and could easily hide them within all of them. I just really want to keep some of these bears that my aunt has had for so long.

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you for reading.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA for insisting my sister pay for my car to be cleaned after my niece got carsick and threw up all over? My sister says me "circling and circling" for a better parking space is why she got sick and refuses.

Circling the parking lot for "5-7 minutes" to save like ten seconds of walking

Physical disability is the only way this person wouldn't be TA

quote:

AITA for only promoting college/high school employees to trainer/team lead over adult employees?

I reprimanded my employee for going the extra mile, now she doesn't go the extra mile anymore, what the gently caress???

Boogan
May 1, 2005

f off

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Acid is too good for this person. Just dump them into an empty vat.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

AKA Pseudonym posted:

This lady wasting tens of minutes going in circles waiting for a car to pull out hears that someone is gonna throw up and just keeps driving.

Trying to find a close spot is for lazy suckers who probably don't even return carts.

It would take less time to park and walk a bit than to find that close space. Time you could have spent doing the thing you drove there to do.

Anyway, the best parking spots are as close to the cart returns as you can get, but not the closest one to the store.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Am I missing something here because the idea that trainers/mangers should have high turnover and the most reliable should never be promoted seems really loving stupid.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

limp_cheese posted:

Am I missing something here because the idea that trainers/mangers should have high turnover and the most reliable should never be promoted seems really loving stupid.

I knew someone who worked for a Subway stuck in that exact position. Some places decide that promoting someone reliable means you will lose them as they go on to bigger and better things, so you get them in a position you need someone reliable (a step or two below the work that you have them cover for frequently) and leave them there forever. Same place had high manager turnover, the position was always dangled over their head, but they never got it. Some fuckin nepotism hire would get it.

That place was smarter about it though, you're supposed to quietly let the reliable person do all the work that your lovely manager hire can't do. You don't get mad at them doing it!

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

limp_cheese posted:

I've seen and heard it being pretty common that being good at your job and doing extra ensures you'll never be promoted, because then someone else would have to do what you're currently doing. maybe two someones. So bad managers look at that and don't want to lose their experienced employee so they don't promote them ever, and I don't think I've heard of a single company that gives people like this actual good raises to keep them around, so you end up with people like this poor girl who are doing the work of someone a couple positions their senior and coming in whenever they can getting paid 25 cents an hour more than someone working their first day there.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
[/quote]

Wtf?!? gently caress this guy.

“Hrrdrrr, I don’t want to give the person who knows how poo poo works the position that lets them tell other people how poo poo works even though the new employees appreciate how she tells them because most people actually don’t want to gently caress up their jobs.”

Like, I’ve been in Tara’s position, but it was dealing with medical authorizations, not restaurant work. At least I get to sit back and watch the lawsuits start piling for my previous company because of their poo poo training and promotion of people who don’t bother reading or understanding work instructions based on legislation and state contracts. Too bad a lot of people are going to literally suffer in the meantime.

There is no way for Tara to leave and watch as this asinine policy causes hardship for this shithead and the restaurant since they refused to give her the title that allows her to tell people how to enter things so that people get their correct orders and correct money is collected. Unless it is part of a chain. She may be able to report this to corporate on her way out.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

This seems genetically engineered to make me as angry as possible
Me too!

Bored fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 23, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Nah, they'd still be an rear end in a top hat because they could let the others out by the curb and then continue their search for the perfect space.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Circling the parking lot for "5-7 minutes" to save like ten seconds of walking

I reprimanded my employee for going the extra mile, now she doesn't go the extra mile anymore, what the gently caress???

You know the adage that everyone on the reddit posts are fatter than you're thinking? This one is fatter than that.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

This seems genetically engineered to make me as angry as possible

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Nah, they'd still be an rear end in a top hat because they could let the others out by the curb and then continue their search for the perfect space.

... why in hell did they not do this, actually

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Hughlander posted:

You know the adage that everyone on the reddit posts are fatter than you're thinking? This one is fatter than that.

Can this poo poo be thread bannable already?

Believe it or not, people of all sizes and attractiveness can be lazy pieces of poo poo.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

JackSplater posted:

I've seen and heard it being pretty common that being good at your job and doing extra ensures you'll never be promoted, because then someone else would have to do what you're currently doing. maybe two someones. So bad managers look at that and don't want to lose their experienced employee so they don't promote them ever, and I don't think I've heard of a single company that gives people like this actual good raises to keep them around, so you end up with people like this poor girl who are doing the work of someone a couple positions their senior and coming in whenever they can getting paid 25 cents an hour more than someone working their first day there.

As an added bonus, by only promoting people that are going to be gone in a year or two tops they keep people from moving up the promotion/salary ladder, which keeps payroll down and cuts down on competition for the manager's own job.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

the holy poopacy posted:

As an added bonus, by only promoting people that are going to be gone in a year or two tops they keep people from moving up the promotion/salary ladder, which keeps payroll down and cuts down on competition for the manager's own job.

Yeah it’s this

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

run on sentience posted:

Can this poo poo be thread bannable already?

Believe it or not, people of all sizes and attractiveness can be lazy pieces of poo poo.

Threadbannable? No.

However if Hughlander’s post causes a multi page derail, associating them with said derail and irritating everyone, would I stop it? Maybe.

Sadly I have a lethal case of obesity so the buttons needed to Do Things In Thread crumble under my sassage fingies.

E: seems I have an obesity of the mind, can’t type

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

mind the walrus posted:

That's definitely one of those "no one is as unique as they think they are and it turns out the social engineering and marketing of capitalism is often chillingly good at funneling similar demographics towards similar styles and purchases" things, and the co-worker is too myopic to realize it.
And "Oh no you're copying me" by purchasing one of the most common cars in America (and a different color btw) is a big stretch.

Two of my friends bought Civics around the same time as each other but their reaction was "Cool! You got a Civic too! Civic bros!"

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

cumpantry posted:

... why in hell did they not do this, actually

I had to use unddit to find their comments but apparently it would be because if they did do that someone could come in and swipe the space they were looking for

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

OP updated in a few comments with some unsurprising tidbits:

On the plus side, he's not letting dad's idiocy ruin his enjoyment of piano for school & other gigs. Can't wait for dad to be put in a nursing home with a note in his pocket from OP: "only give him the bare minimum - after all, life isn't fair"

The OP could have phrased the request perfectly and the dad would have gone out of his way to buy him one with a broken engine, or taken out the battery, or just not given him the keys. Anything to gently caress with the kid.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend got a Honda fit and then my neighbour got a Fit as well, so then I got one and another friend got one. It's fun all having the same car. Now a rival gang has formed of friends all buying Foresters. It's fun going to an event and parking all in a row. Why would anyone be upset at this?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
amazing to find myself siding against the person whose car got thrown up in. I can't imagine circling the parking lot to look for a better space. Having that many pedestrians around really gives me anxiety. I just try to get the parking over with ASAP so I don't look down for a second and find a little toddler running out in front of the car.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Anyone who circles the lot to find "a better space" (where by "better" they mean "I have to walk for 60 seconds instead of 30") can gently caress right off. You get one (1) drive to the front door when you first arrive in case there's a random open space there, and if there isn't one then you take the first space you find. End of discussion.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

DreamingofRoses posted:

I had to use unddit to find their comments but apparently it would be because if they did do that someone could come in and swipe the space they were looking for

lol that is so loving stupid. toss their license into the vat

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
and the car

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It's too bad that manager probably won't post an update when tara quits in like a month or less, 'cuz I'm sure it would be hilarious

Captain Hygiene posted:

Excellent point, gently caress this person even harder

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

cumpantry posted:

and the car

:hmmyes:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Driving a car rots your brain.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
What sticks in my craw about the bad manager story is that she happily offers up that she promoted a girl to team lead just because her boyfriend was already a team lead. It just “made sense.” No account for how good of a worker they were, just that it made a pretty picture in their head.

I hope Tara finds a position that appreciates her. The OP can suffer with the consequences of their shortsightedness

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The story is whatever but the post title had me lolling

AITA for showing PDA around my cousins and telling my Aunt to eat poo poo

quote:

I (23m) have been with my boyfriend (27m) for 3 years now. 2022 was the first Christmas we spent together. We stayed at my parents for Christmas. It was mostly amazing till my aunt invited herself over for Christmas dinner and to use the pool. My parents didn't say no since they will put up with it for her kids and honestly i think we all only put up with her because of the kids (5f, 8m, 10m and 16m).

While they were over, me and my boyfriend did show some PDA like we were doing before my aunt even came over. Nothing to crazy, just cuddling and the occasional peck on the lips or cheek. My Aunt did not like that and told me and him to stop showing affection and that it will confuse her children.

My immediate response was to tell her to eat poo poo and tell her to stop being a homophobic rear end in a top hat. She tried to insist that it had nothing to do with being gay but I pointed out how my 16 yo brother had been sucking face with his gf since she got there and hasnt batted a loving eye but 2 men pecking was somehow her line, nah you homophobic bish.

After confronting her with that she gathered the kids up and left. Since then she hasnt contacted us, which should be a good thing but she wont let my parents see my cousins since they "let" me disrespect her like that. The only cousin we get to see is 16m since he will sneak over to my place to get away from his mum but i see him less now. I feel like an rear end in a top hat because I want my cousins in my life, especially 16m. Hes also gay but not out to his mum,and i feel like me doing this cost him time with us that help him feel normal and better about himself. AITA.
NTA obviously, auntie should absolutely go and eat some poo poo.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It's too bad that manager probably won't post an update when tara quits in like a month or less, 'cuz I'm sure it would be hilarious

Excellent point, gently caress this person even harder

As a mea culpa for last post have a repost of one of the best stories of that:

my best employee quit on the spot because I wouldn’t let her go to her college graduation

quote:

I manage a team, and part of their jobs is to provide customer support over the phone. Due to a new product launch, we are expected to provide service outside of our normal hours for a time. This includes some of my team coming in on a day our office is normally closed (based on lowest seniority because no one volunteered).

One employee asked to come in two hours after the start time due to her college graduation ceremony being that same day (she was taking night classes part-time in order to earn her degree). I was unable to grant her request because she was the employee with the lowest seniority and we need coverage for that day. I said that if she could find someone to replace her for those two hours, she could start later. She asked her coworkers, but no one was willing to come in on their day off. After she asked around, some people who were not scheduled for the overtime did switch shifts with other people (but not her) and volunteered to take on overtime from others who were scheduled, but these people are friends outside of work, and as long as there is coverage I don’t interfere if people want to give or take overtime of their own accord. (Caveat: I did intervene and switch one person’s end time because they had concert tickets that they had already paid for, but this was a special circumstance because there was cost involved.)

I told this team member that she could not start two hours late and that she would have to skip the ceremony. An hour later, she handed me her work ID and a list of all the times she had worked late/come in early/worked overtime for each and every one of her coworkers. Then she quit on the spot.

I’m a bit upset because she was my best employee by far. Her work was excellent, she never missed a day of work in the six years she worked here, and she was my go-to person for weekends and holidays.

Even though she doesn’t work here any longer, I want to reach out and tell her that quitting without notice because she didn’t get her way isn’t exactly professional. I only want to do this because she was an otherwise great employee, and I don’t want her to derail her career by doing this again and thinking it is okay. She was raised in a few dozen different foster homes and has no living family. She was homeless for a bit after she turned 18 and besides us she doesn’t have anyone in her life that has ever had professional employment. This is the only job she has had. Since she’s never had anyone to teach her professional norms, I want to help her so she doesn’t make the same mistake again. What do you think is the best way for me to do this?

UPDATE (6 years later)

quote:

This is about me. I know for a fact it is because this exact thing happened to me in that time frame. And I know exactly who it was.

I’d like to tell this person that I have a general idea of the social norms but (redacted — medical conditions) make it impossible to stay on this side of reality very long. I did however get medicated and become a GM myself that would never be a jerk like he was.

And it wasn’t about the graduation. At freaking all. It was so much more than that. It was about having one day that was just mine.

Joke’s on him though. That diploma has gotten me further in life than I would have gotten without.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

the holy poopacy posted:

who needs they jesussy crucified

from now on i'm only referring to stigmata as jesussies

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

The real answer is right here:

quote:

what she lacks is that she’s the quietest of everyone. She’s friendly but the college and high schoolers are just more fun and talkative, and always have stories to share from outside of work. I recently made a girl a team lead because her boyfriend is a team lead so it would be fitting for them to both be team leads, it’s a better look with the team. it’s hard not to favor them.
OP is picking her trainers/team leads as a social decision based on who she likes best - not trying to pick the person who's actually the best for the job. The other explanations listed in the post are bullshit that OP is telling herself (and us) rather than admitting that she's a poo poo manager making dumb decisions.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Anyone who circles the lot to find "a better space" (where by "better" they mean "I have to walk for 60 seconds instead of 30") can gently caress right off. You get one (1) drive to the front door when you first arrive in case there's a random open space there, and if there isn't one then you take the first space you find. End of discussion.
Unless there are physical limitations involved or it's a rainstorm, I think it's easier to park further away. It's quicker to find a spot upfront and much easier to leave afterwards since you don't have a bunch of pedestrians walking behind your car while you're trying to back out, another car eagerly waiting to snag your spot, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Well well well, if it isnt etc (parental favoritism edition)

AITA for not helping my family when they have financial problems

quote:

Growing up it was no secret my older sister was the favorite child. We could both do something bad and only I would get in trouble, they would often say I forced her to do it. My sister also got better gifts then me. I couldn’t ask for anything over $20, while my sister could ask for something in the hundreds and they get it for her. Eventually my sister caught on and used it to her advantage. She would blame me for everything and our parents would believe her. If she wanted something of mine she would cry to our parents and they would force me to give it to her.

It wasn’t all bad because while I wasn’t my parents favorite but I was my aunt’s favorite. She couldn’t have kids of her own so she treated me as her own. Unfortunately my aunt moved two hours away to work at a college and I didn’t see her as much.

When the time came I went to the college my aunt worked at, she let me move in with her and helped me out financially. My sister never went to college and job hopped. She never had to take work seriously because our parents took care of everything for her. When I left I went low contact with them because I had no reason for interacting with them, they weren’t supporting me emotionally or financially so what was the point.

Now I have my own apartment, good friends, a cat and a good job. I was happy with my life. Recently I got a call from my Dad. Apparently they are having a hard time. My sister can’t keep a job, my dad is working less hours and my mother’s new job pays significantly less so they can’t support all three of them. He asked if my sister could stay with me to lighten the load on them.

I said no, I am happy now and getting involved with y’all will just make me miserable. You guys didn’t do much for me when I was young so I don’t owe them anything. My dad tried to plead with me saying they could loose the house and end up homeless. I still refused and hung up. Since then I’ve been getting calls and text from them begging me for any kind of help.

I do feel kinda bad because from their calls I can tell they are close to tears. My aunt says I have every right to not want to help, but every time I hear how bad they are doing I feel guilty, I don’t want them to be homeless but I don’t want to get involved.
Yet another example of the Golden Child being coddled to the point where they are absolutely helpless in adult life.