Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I feel like Ewing and Gillen do that a lot in team books.

Fraction fuckin' loves that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, I’ve been reading seminal shojo manga Rose of Versailles and one thing that struck me was how it switches from a more serious style you’d associate with manga to a more cartoony style and then back at a drop of a hat

Here’s a picture I took of that happening (apologies for the low quality, I only have the physical edition)

This switching up of style, either to help sell a joke or to underline a dramatic scene, is still decently common in Japanese and Korean comics.

What struck me is that I can’t think of a single example of something like that happening in the western, particularly American, comics that I’ve read. Are there any mainstream western comics that change the style of drawing mid-comic?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

thetoughestbean posted:

So, I’ve been reading seminal shojo manga Rose of Versailles and one thing that struck me was how it switches from a more serious style you’d associate with manga to a more cartoony style and then back at a drop of a hat

Here’s a picture I took of that happening (apologies for the low quality, I only have the physical edition)

This switching up of style, either to help sell a joke or to underline a dramatic scene, is still decently common in Japanese and Korean comics.

What struck me is that I can’t think of a single example of something like that happening in the western, particularly American, comics that I’ve read. Are there any mainstream western comics that change the style of drawing mid-comic?

I'm pretty sure Scott Pilgrim vs The World did it a few times, but more subtly, and that was heavily indebted to Manga. I'm pretty sure I've seen this kind of thing in books like The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl too, but I'd need to dig for it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't remember seeing that kind of thing until manga and anime had become a bigger cultural influence in the West. Except for stuff that would reference cartoons as part of the character or story, like Plastic Man or The Mask or Slapstick.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I remember Scott McCloud talking about that a bit in Understanding Comics, comparing different approaches to detail in manga and American comic styles.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think Ms Marvel has done it a few times. I remember something like that when she meets Wolverine for the first time.

I think when it happens it's a one off gag referencing the manga/anime trope, but not a regular narrative occurrence. And it'll be artists with more influence from anime/manga sources. Like, I'm pretty sure it happens a decent amount in Avatar, but while that's a Western production it's obviously very, very heavily influenced by anime.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
If we're not talking about chibi versions of characters, there are a fair number of anglophone artists (Bill Sienkiewicz and those influenced by him spring to mind) who will change style pretty radically to indicate mood or emotion.

Another sort of... substitute(?) for that sort of thing are all of the various western comics that will employ multiple artists in the same story to indicate shifts in time, perspective, etc.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Maxx jumps between art styles and even mediums page to page. I think most of Sam Kieth's art is like that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
pretty sure most contemporary marvel ya comics have done it at some point, and yes it's because all these artists grew up reading manga and watching anime. usg, ms marvel, wasp, gwenpool, patsy walker aka hellcat. pretty sure even all new wolverine and kate bishop hawkeye did it at least once

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Not a chibi/serious switch, but Decorum by Jonathan Hickman & Mike Huddleston does a lot of switching art styles depending on the characters/scene.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Not exactly the same thing but the 2013(?) TMNT CGI series did this often, switching between the standard look, an out of place reaction shot, and occasionally a "serious" look. Not comics, but comics adjacent.

Personally, I think it makes sense for something like the YA/comedy books (Squirrel Girl, Ms Marvel, Deadpool), but if I saw it happen in a mainline Wolverine book, I think I would hate it. Unless it was

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

CzarChasm posted:

Not exactly the same thing but the 2013(?) TMNT CGI series did this often, switching between the standard look, an out of place reaction shot, and occasionally a "serious" look. Not comics, but comics adjacent.

Personally, I think it makes sense for something like the YA/comedy books (Squirrel Girl, Ms Marvel, Deadpool), but if I saw it happen in a mainline Wolverine book, I think I would hate it. Unless it was

Actually, I think it was used once per issue in Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine, which is a great book. It was part of a meta/mojo-commentary on things.
That book also had Doom the Living Planet, it was great Jason Aaron bullshit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

If we're not talking about chibi versions of characters, there are a fair number of anglophone artists (Bill Sienkiewicz and those influenced by him spring to mind) who will change style pretty radically to indicate mood or emotion.

Another sort of... substitute(?) for that sort of thing are all of the various western comics that will employ multiple artists in the same story to indicate shifts in time, perspective, etc.

Yeah, while it's not as extreme and not typically comedic, switching styles for emphasis isn't really unknown in western comics. Action scenes become looser, for example.

The Japanese examples seem to come from the comic storytelling flowing out of animation (see Tezuka as the obvious inflection point there), and so the looser comedic conventions of animation from the 30s to the 50s got brought in.

And I think a lot of that has faded away in Japanese comics as they've pulled in more western stylistic conventions. The Rose of Versailles was from the early 70s which was the height of that style. While it still exists and it gets pulled out of the creator's toolbox to reference something they like, it's much more rare these days. There's definitely Japanese creator's who like to use it more than others, though.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Edge & Christian posted:

Do you have any particular examples of this happening? I know Sienkiewicz by reputation but haven’t read much of the stuff he was the artist on.

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, while it's not as extreme and not typically comedic, switching styles for emphasis isn't really unknown in western comics. Action scenes become looser, for example.

The Japanese examples seem to come from the comic storytelling flowing out of animation (see Tezuka as the obvious inflection point there), and so the looser comedic conventions of animation from the 30s to the 50s got brought in.

And I think a lot of that has faded away in Japanese comics as they've pulled in more western stylistic conventions. The Rose of Versailles was from the early 70s which was the height of that style. While it still exists and it gets pulled out of the creator's toolbox to reference something they like, it's much more rare these days. There's definitely Japanese creator's who like to use it more than others, though.

It’s maybe not omnipresent but switching to a cartoonier style for a lighter emotional beat is used a decent amount. It can be used as a reference to other works, too, but it often isn’t

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Do you have any particular examples of this happening? I know Sienkiewicz by reputation but haven’t read much of the stuff he was the artist on.

Well, the first example that comes to mind is Elektra: Assassin, where he switched to childlike scrawls for the parts dealing with Elektra's childhood memories.

My favorite artistic bit from that series, though, is Ken Wind, the fraudulent politician who's always depicted with the same photocopied, pasted-on grinning face no matter what the situation is.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

If we are not restricting it to Big Two superhero comics (though there are lots of examples of it there as have been pointed out), Asterios Polyp by David Mazzuchelli plays with changing art styles a whole lot. Parody/satire books like Ambush Bug or World's Funnest really lampshade it. Probably half of all Brian Michael Bendis superhero comics will use different coloring and/or different artists to connote tone /time/perspective shifts, usually multiple times in a run.

Tom King worked with two artists on Strange Adventures recently, one to draw the "sanitized version of war where there are heroes and war crimes are okay" and the other to draw "the real world" where war crimes are very sad and will drive people to commit suicide or kill people or just feel really bad about war crimes.

Tom King also seemed to think he was the first person to ever do this based on interviews about Strange Adventures. I am not sure if thetoughestbean is Tom King, but I cannot rule it out.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Unfortunately I’ve never made comics of any kind, least of all about war crimes

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm reading Decorum right now and it jumps around styles a lot

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

Tom King worked with two artists on Strange Adventures recently, one to draw the "sanitized version of war where there are heroes and war crimes are okay" and the other to draw "the real world" where war crimes are very sad and will drive people to commit suicide or kill people or just feel really bad about war crimes.

That reminds me of a 50s Mad bit where they did a parody of the comic strip Bringing Up Father. It had cartoony panels where the wife was beating her husband with a rolling pin and throwing plates at him (which often happened in the strip and was played for laughs), contrasting with severely realistic panels where the husband was dealing with all the injuries he'd collected from those beatings.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 13, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Moore's Supreme run is another good one. It's a deconstruction of a Superman type with (made up) stories going back to the golden age, and the art matches the era

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's great that Moore lampoons the outcome of Watchmen by including Grim 80s Supreme and a love interest hooked on drugs.

The whole run is full of nods to comic history. It's real fun

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is Savage Avengers the only stuff with Conan in the modern 616? Trying to read through some of the stuff and I'm confused with all the titles

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Mmm I want to say there was a crossover with the regular avengers team at some point? But I'd have to look it up

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

From the modern era of Marvel having the Conan license, he was (re)introduced into the Marvel Universe in Avengers: No Road Home before being the lead in Savage Avengers, then getting hastily written out of the second volume of Savage Avengers when the license was pulled and given to Titan.

There were at least a couple of crossovers/tie-ins back in the 1970s-1980s as well, but I forget which were What Ifs and which were "real", outside of the Kulan Goth thing in X-Men/Spider-Man.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's about what I figured. I assumed the main title would be modern and Savage Sword would be of a classic tales thing, but apparently they both are

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

From the modern era of Marvel having the Conan license, he was (re)introduced into the Marvel Universe in Avengers: No Road Home before being the lead in Savage Avengers, then getting hastily written out of the second volume of Savage Avengers when the license was pulled and given to Titan.

There were at least a couple of crossovers/tie-ins back in the 1970s-1980s as well, but I forget which were What Ifs and which were "real", outside of the Kulan Goth thing in X-Men/Spider-Man.

What even happened there? Did Marvel willingly drop the licence after making a big deal of getting it, or did the Howard side not like what Marvel were doing?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

What even happened there? Did Marvel willingly drop the licence after making a big deal of getting it, or did the Howard side not like what Marvel were doing?

My understanding is that Funcom, which bought the rights to Conan in 2021, wanted to bring Conan-related projects more directly under their control. They also pulled the license from Modiphius's Conan tabletop RPG around the same time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
He'll be public domain in a couple years, I think they're just trying to squeeze every last dollar.

I hope when Conan is public domain Marvel will throw all their Conan stuff up on Marvel unlimited.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Humble Bundle has another 2000AD bundle and there's a ton of Slaine stuff in and I've been meaning to read that. But it's one of those situations where most of the volumes just have a title so I have no idea what the appropriate reading order would be or even if this was a good way to get the comics.

So first, is this bundle reasonably complete from the start? I'm not worried about small gaps, but I want to read the whole story.

Second, what's the correct order for the trades? Google isn't helping since my results are either old or irrelevant.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slaine-wise, the publication order of collections is:

Warrior's Dawn
Time Killer
The King
Horned God
Demon Killer
Lord of Misrule
Treasures of Britain
Grail War
---Lord of the Beasts---
Books of Invasions
The Wanderer
Book of Scars
Brutania Chronicles
Dragontamer

It looks like the collection has everything except Lord of the Beasts

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Slaine-wise, the publication order of collections is:

Warrior's Dawn
Time Killer
The King
Horned God
Demon Killer
Lord of Misrule
Treasures of Britain
Grail War
---Lord of the Beasts---
Books of Invasions
The Wanderer
Book of Scars
Brutania Chronicles
Dragontamer

It looks like the collection has everything except Lord of the Beasts

Thanks. Missing one in the middle isn't ideal but it would be worse to be missing something key.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Edge & Christian posted:

Marvel also published a couple minis in 2019 and 2020 in the Marvel Universe: Conan: Serpent War and Conan: Battle for the Serpent Crown

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

My first thought was not cape comics but Calvin & Hobbes, although they are generally in the opposite direction; some of the sunday strips in have a dramatic stylistic shift from the very cartoony "default" style to something much more detailed and/or realistic for Calvin's imagination, e.g. this one.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

What's a good, safe way to display comics of value when they aren't slabbed?

I was stuck in my house from the beginning of the pandemic until this month due to immune disorders I have. For my leaving the house/birthday, my wife bought me Uncanny 266 and the GI Joe silent issue. I'd like to show them off in my office, but there is sunlight (Phoenix area) all the time. I don't want them damaged, and I'm not super into slabbing comics. I don't even know how protective of things like fading or yellowing they are.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lucifunk posted:

What's a good, safe way to display comics of value when they aren't slabbed?
You slab the motherfuckers.

They sell UV protective slabs, but even then… desert sunlight is no joke and I’m no expert. You may have to either accept there’s gonna be damage, do the trick of displaying a printout of the cover with the actual comic behind it, or not display them.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

Strictly like your example? I've seen it in a few issues of cape comics where the artist was heavily influenced by manga and did just that as the punch line to a joke.

And an example of a mainstream comic changing styles in the middle of the action is the last issue of Seven Soldiers of Victory (Seven Soldiers #1, funnily enough. Written by Morrison, art by J.H. Williams III, colors by Dave Stewart and letters by Todd Klein), where almost each page is a different style.

The Seven Soldiers minis were each staring a different character, with each being drawn by a different artist. The "issue #1" had Williams drawing (almost perfectly also) in the style of the different artists whenever each of the main characters appeared. It was incredible.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
That sounds like a hell of a comic

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's Morrison, baby

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
7S was fantastic. I've been catching up on Morrison's stuff since then and I'm starting to think that was their peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I prefer Morrison’s Batman, but they did let them go just absolutely ham with a bunch of random characters. Doesn’t get talked about enough for how good it was.