Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fell Mood posted:

But Finland and Sweden aren't shelling thier Russian majority districts? Why would Russia invade? 🤔

there is no need to ask that question, reason is not required

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I think it's a good thing when people read books.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

tristeham posted:

reverse snobbery loving sucks too

Oh I agree; I'm just pointing out a lot of classics or "high lit" is really only that way due to various reasons (Victorians getting really into Greco-Roman stuff, Shakespeare would have been forgotten like most of his peers if not for the efforts of his friends/proteges). And again, depending on what school you went to your exposure to that kind of literature probably at best will be decent while at worst you're being made to read some 19th century tome without any context or link to it's relevance to today. I'll personally read some dumb sci-fi poo poo while also going through some professional/historical/classical text.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Futanari Damacy posted:

I think it is a good thing when people are happy doing things, regardless of whether those things are cool or lame

The only exception is when someone is happy doing things that make other people unhappy. That's not cool and I don't approve of it.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I think it is a good thing when people are happy doing things, regardless of whether those things are cool or lame

The only exception is when someone is happy doing things that make other people unhappy. That's not cool and I don't approve of it.

Well, unless it's making fash unhappy. Then it's cool.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1617644367380090884

ork shamans are preparing a dark ritual

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Putin beseeching the dark gods to grant him Kislev.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

the valkyries are coming to take all the "pagans" from the morgues

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

this is what happens before the tripods come in tom cruise war of the worlds movie, the martians are coming

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Putin beseeching the dark gods to grant him Kislev.

They are gonna use Malagor's constant flock of Crows ability when he hits like lvl 20.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Zelensky's adviser Tymoshenko has apparently resigned, as well as heads of 4 regions, with rumors that the PM and a few cabinet ministers could be gone soon as well. This comes only weeks after Arestovich resigned and the entire Interior Ministry exploded. Seems like there's a power struggle behind the scenes.

Политика Страны posted:

So, what is known about the personnel changes in power.

1. Strana's sources confirm that the Deputy Head of the President's Office, Kyrylo Tymoshenko, has written a letter of resignation. Also, the heads of the OVA of Dnepropetrovsk, Zaporozhye, Sumy and Kherson regions associated with him are resigning.

2. In place of Tymoshenko comes the head of the Kyiv regional administration Alexei Kuleba. There are various rumors about the future of Tymoshenko himself. For example, that he could be appointed head of the Kherson regional military district.

3. As for the government, in the morning there were rumors about the resignations of three ministers - Minister of Energy Galushchenko, Minister of Sports Gutzeit, Minister for Strategic Industries Ryabikin.

4. As for Defense Minister Reznikov, calls for his resignation have been crushed in the wake of the recent corruption scandal involving overpriced food purchases for the Armed Forces of Ukraine. But today, after a meeting of the parliamentary committee on national security and defense, the “servants of the people” actually took the minister under protection, stating that there were no complaints against him. So apparently there is no command for his resignation. At least for now.

5. There are also as yet unconfirmed rumors about the resignation of Prime Minister Shmyhal, who was closely associated with Vasily Lozinsky, Deputy Minister of Infrastructure, Community Development and Territories suspected of corruption.
(from t.me/stranaua/87155, via tgsa)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/VassiliGolod/status/1617089586240393217?s=20

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

drat, the minister of sports must have done some serious poo poo if he can beat the MoD guy who's probably getting a hefty kickback for fleecing the gov't.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

sum posted:

Zelensky's adviser Tymoshenko has apparently resigned, as well as heads of 4 regions, with rumors that the PM and a few cabinet ministers could be gone soon as well. This comes only weeks after Arestovich resigned and the entire Interior Ministry exploded. Seems like there's a power struggle behind the scenes.

Always was, remember that the head of National Bank of Ukraine retired for health reasons back in October.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

the “hair means you can’t efficiently wear a gas mask” excuse is funny cause almost every time, the person mad about it is in garrison or hasn’t worn a gas mask in 12+ months. And they maybe wore it for 30 minutes of training. Pretty sure shaving doesn’t take months or years, so pretty easy to shave if the need to wear gas masks is coming up.

In barrack in peace time sure but on the front line? How fast can you shave a beard if the enemy decide it's gas o'clock?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/RusEmbUSA/status/1617667517585186817

no details.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think I saw a post the other day about how the US is leaking corruption allegations about the current govt to try and exert leverage against Zelensky, while the UK is more pro-Zelensky and is backing him up, as a backdrop of the political maneuvering happening inside the cabinet.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

supersnowman posted:

In barrack in peace time sure but on the front line? How fast can you shave a beard if the enemy decide it's gas o'clock?

Before deploying, you do an assessment of the risk of gas attacks. Sometimes that risk is low to very low risk. But for a conflict like a deployment to Afghanistan, there really was never any risk that the Taliban was going to suddenly start doing chemical weapon attacks. And there isn't/wasn't any real fear that when Iran and the US are poking one another, that either side would suddenly gas the other. Besides, a lot of the time, people are in MOPP 0, which basically means that you possess your protective gear somewhere in theater / on base, but it isn't on your hip or in your vehicle 24/7. Might be sealed up in plastic in a footlocker kms away.

Still, I guess an option would be to allow beards in garrison and make people shave them on any deployment "just in case." But a lot of the grumbling about facial hair isn't actually about that; it's just a convenient excuse for people who are mad about facial hair to be mad.

I don't really care; shaving isn't super burdensome, but the idea that it's required for the sake of gas masks is mostly a cover story.

E: A better argument might be "have you seen vetbro beards? gently caress that." which, fair enough, just say it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Some more Kremlin propaganda from eastern europe.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1617508979189456898

https://twitter.com/Marianna9110/status/1617633223852556289

https://twitter.com/PeImeniPusha/status/1617502543852228609

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sum posted:

(Draws sword)

There can only be one!

(Thunder in background)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

supersnowman posted:

Duh what soldier doesn't go into battle with a full sized vanity and cast iron bath tub?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Lolontee, Allah will surely forgive you if you do the needful.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
only 1000 pages until the ukraine #

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

yes u r

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If you see a javelin go up and down on a tank, it means it destroys every tank, and all the tanks are gone. If you see the tank rumble up and shoot a building, it means tanks are stronger than buildings, send better buildings! If some guys are lying dead, it means that it's a disaster, the war is being lost. I like to follow war and keep tabs on what's goin on in the world, it's great to stay informed!

The fiction best sellers of 2022 are majority Colleen Hoover books lol

And the most popular movies are marvel bullshit. People mostly being idiots with no taste is the norm and always has been, doesn't mean there's no film or literary culture.

Ultimately:

Futanari Damacy posted:

Anyway this:

sum posted:

+ this:

= Ukraine stops being a country in a year or two. Yeah there'll be a protected Ukrainian zone under polish peace keepers but it won't be it's own country any more than Vichy France

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

And the most popular movies are marvel bullshit. People mostly being idiots with no taste is the norm and always has been, doesn't mean there's no film or literary culture.

Ultimately:

Anyway this:

+ this:

= Ukraine stops being a country in a year or two. Yeah there'll be a protected Ukrainian zone under polish peace keepers but it won't be it's own country any more than Vichy France

In the course of one year Ukraine has purged all opposition parties, most of its own government, no longer has an economy and is propped up by begging for hundreds of overseas billions.

Also millions fled overseas or into Europe and every remotely abled bodied citizen left is being fed into the burger mincer because the blood god demands it.

I'm sure it'll be fine. This is very sustainable.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

more russian dizinformatia. mods ban this putin propagandist

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DancingShade posted:

In the course of one year Ukraine has purged all opposition parties, most of its own government, no longer has an economy and is propped up by begging for hundreds of overseas billions.

Also millions fled overseas or into Europe and every remotely abled bodied citizen left is being fed into the burger mincer because the blood god demands it.

A lot of sad poo poo has come out of this war but the videos of 50-60yo dudes fist fighting six guys in fatigues before being shoved into the back of a van to go be fodder for the Russian guns really get to me

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

huh, i must've missed something. i knew about polish "volunteers" in ukraine, but what happened with hungarians and transcarpathia?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

A lot of sad poo poo has come out of this war but the videos of 50-60yo dudes fist fighting six guys in fatigues before being shoved into the back of a van to go be fodder for the Russian guns really get to me

It can still get a lot worse. Wait until they do it to the children.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Slavvy posted:

Anyway this:

+ this:

it'll be so goddamn miserable because it's not like blackrock and wall st and the IMF are going to let a state laden with debt just disappear. whatever successor state ukraine ends up as will be hosed

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

DancingShade posted:

It can still get a lot worse. Wait until they do it to the children.

Honestly it's not a bad idea, it's been well established that every Ukrainian man is worth 10-15 Orks, a Ukrainian child is probably worth at least 3 or 4 and it would therefore be perfectly reasonable for them to perform rear area duties.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DancingShade posted:

on the other hand they’re purging bankers so it’s hard to say if they’re good or bad

https://twitter.com/rferl/status/1617513177633419264

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

crepeface posted:

huh, i must've missed something. i knew about polish "volunteers" in ukraine, but what happened with hungarians and transcarpathia?

zakarpattia, or transcarpathia, is a region of ukraine with a sizable ethnic hungarian population. so this is not foreign volunteers dying but ukrainian citizens.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the purges that are happening are getting more expansive but it is also a question of who is really consolidating power, Zelensky himsef or are all of these guys just taking the blame to keep the US happy?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Ukraine shouldn't get any more tanks until they've shown they used the ones they've already been given responsibly :colbert:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

lobster shirt posted:

zakarpattia, or transcarpathia, is a region of ukraine with a sizable ethnic hungarian population. so this is not foreign volunteers dying but ukrainian citizens.

*Nationalistically* they are citizens of Ukraine, they are not Ukrainian citizens.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-7AynHoCIQ&t=34s

https://twitter.com/Angelo4justice3/status/1595463458694176772?s=20

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Ultimately the issue is that Russia invaded Ukraine last year in order to seize territory. There's no reason to think they won't do the same thing to their other neighbours, so it's better to prevent them from doing so through collective deterrence and stopping this horrific war from being repeated.

no theres plenty of reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lobster shirt posted:

quote:

Hungarian journalists announced huge losses of the Armed Forces brigade, which consists of ethnic Hungarians

oic, the bolded bit threw me off. basically ukraine used ethnic hungarians as battle fodder at the frontlines? not that they're dying in transcarpathia