Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is eating ghost vegan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bobjr posted:

Do you know how much ghost cost in this economy?
its price is truly beyond the pale

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Alan Smithee posted:

is eating ghost vegan

Only if you eat plant based ghosts

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

shoeberto posted:

I mean there's nothing wrong with them I guess. It's just weird.

Grubhub / doordash / exploitative app du jour have in the past made fake entries (or near-matches) for local real restaurants that didn't want to join the terrible app business model, and so people who thought they were buying from Shoeberto's NY Pizza were actually getting deliveries from a ghost kitchen reheating a lovely sodexo frozen pizza.

And then once you do join the terrible app business model to stop all your customers from getting siphoned off by the fake "Shoebort's NU Pizza" listings, they start charging a bigger and bigger percentage.

Food delivery apps are the mafia, and even when they're working well they're substandard delivery (because they aren't as integrated as your local chinese place, who for example wait to make your food until a driver will be ready to take it).

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Klyith posted:

Grubhub / doordash / exploitative app du jour have in the past made fake entries (or near-matches) for local real restaurants that didn't want to join the terrible app business model, and so people who thought they were buying from Shoeberto's NY Pizza were actually getting deliveries from a ghost kitchen reheating a lovely sodexo frozen pizza.

And then once you do join the terrible app business model to stop all your customers from getting siphoned off by the fake "Shoebort's NU Pizza" listings, they start charging a bigger and bigger percentage.

Food delivery apps are the mafia, and even when they're working well they're substandard delivery (because they aren't as integrated as your local chinese place, who for example wait to make your food until a driver will be ready to take it).

First article I pulled up related to ghost kitchen shenanigans, I know there's definitely more out there for those curious

‘It’s a bait and switch’: Behind the ‘fake’ Uber Eats and DoorDash restaurants that are making customers furious

This one's about existing restaurants coming up with fake brands to unload their food onto unsuspecting customers. Straight up selling you something from Chili's but with a name that makes you think it's actually an independent restaurant or at the very least, an existing franchised ghost kitchen brand

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Klyith posted:

And the whole gig economy thing where the delivery people are independent contractors and have insurance etc on their own dime instead of a company delivery vehicle, although that was already a pretty sketchy area with a lot of delivery folks getting screwed that way before the delivery app explosion. I'm sure there are a bunch of new, shittier things about being a delivery person for these apps though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

First article I pulled up related to ghost kitchen shenanigans, I know there's definitely more out there for those curious

‘It’s a bait and switch’: Behind the ‘fake’ Uber Eats and DoorDash restaurants that are making customers furious

This one's about existing restaurants coming up with fake brands to unload their food onto unsuspecting customers. Straight up selling you something from Chili's but with a name that makes you think it's actually an independent restaurant or at the very least, an existing franchised ghost kitchen brand

I see a lot of people doing a “well actually it’s a different, real restaurant that’s just sharing the kitchen” song and dance which I don’t actually believe because the food you get out of ghost kitchen Applebees or IHOP sure seems like it came from an Applebees or IHOP.

I also don’t really understand how an entire separate business sharing an Applebees kitchen at 7pm on a Friday is supposed to work. They’re not built like a WeWork.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 23, 2023

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Klyith posted:

Marketplace disrupted!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

One time we ordered from a Guy Fieri themed place that came out of a Denny's. My food came slathered in something called donkey sauce. It was some kind of gross mayo that was as thick as peanut butter.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

The Postman posted:

One time we ordered from a Guy Fieri themed place that came out of a Denny's. My food came slathered in something called donkey sauce. It was some kind of gross mayo that was as thick as peanut butter.

Congrats now you have hepatitis

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i love how many people are specifically angered about receiving chili's wings.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64381582

More lawsuit fun, against someone who can definitely afford lawyers this time!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tiny Timbs posted:

I see a lot of people doing a “well actually it’s a different, real restaurant that’s just sharing the kitchen” song and dance which I don’t actually believe because the food you get out of ghost kitchen Applebees or IHOP sure seems like it came from an Applebees or IHOP.

I also don’t really understand how an entire separate business sharing an Applebees kitchen at 7pm on a Friday is supposed to work. They’re not built like a WeWork.

Delightfully devilish!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
somebody get Elong some more Adderall. I haven't heard a truly unhinged tweet in a while.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
There was a fairly famous fancy chicago restaurant, though the name escapes me at the moment, but anyway they showed up in my hood on GrubHub with a location I knew to be a banquet hall since it was like 2 blocks away from me, so yeah, that's when I learned about this ghost kitchen poo poo. It had dire reviews on GrubHub.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ghostlight posted:

i love how many people are specifically angered about receiving chili's wings.

Doesn't beat the uproar when people found out Chuck E Cheese was selling their microwave pizza under the name Pasquale's.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

that devious rat Charles

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Doug Sisk posted:

Elon sure seems to have a rent problem.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

charles entrapment cheese

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tiny Timbs posted:

Most of the true ghost kitchens are on their own location, whatever location with a commercial kitchen they can rent for cheap. They're not co-locating with an Applebees and they're not serving anyone on the premises. That one ghost kitchen might be doing food for 6 different fake restaurants on Grubhub, but that's their whole business. Get delivery orders and send them out. The same kitchen does the MrBeast Burger and Tijuana Slim's Mexican.

The other scam is that a fake restaurant that has a menu with steak, burgers, wings, and salads -- a suspicious amount of overlap to what you get at an Applebees, but with all the Applebees names filed off and different pictures. And it's pretending to be a nice steak & burgers place that's local and not a chain, that's gonna be better food than an Applebees right? But your order actually goes to the Applebees and you get Applebees food but they put it in a generic package.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It actually cost local business' money, there's like 2 Pasquale's in Buffalo and people thought that's where they were ordering from. People legit thought he was cutting corners during quarantine and didn't go back.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

That's the fun of the ghost brands. A surprising chunk of them are just "make this poo poo using whatever foods you get from whatever supplier," meaning even people in the same market may get significantly different food based solely on delivery zone.

You get MrBeast Burger, Applebees Edition, while your buddy two miles down the road gets MrBeast Burger, Buca di Beppo edition. They look different and they taste different, but that's fine! It's bizarre.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

my local main street is a total ghost town. That's why I eat at local restaurhaunts whenever possible.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

DeeplyConcerned posted:

my local main street is a total ghost town. That's why I eat at local restaurhaunts whenever possible.

I especially like the Friday night fish frights and their hammurders.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Doug Sisk posted:

At least Trump knew to gently caress over people who couldn’t fight back like small contractors and Ted Cruz.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
We've got one place like that around here....the local servo(petrol/gas station) also runs as a pizza shop, burger place and fried chicken joint for menulog deliveries, seems dodgy as hell

I was doing menulog for a bit for some extra cash, it was ok but frustrating waiting for restaurants to make their order, and I was mostly doing it during lockdown when there were way less cars on the road, once petrol prices went through the roof I gave it a rest

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

There's worse poo poo. Delivery apps like Doordash and UberEats have been making delivery pages for restaurants that don't work with them, using that places branding and menus, then ordering from them and marking up the prices to deliver to people. Since quality of service is pretty poo poo with this dumb delivery method (Mistakes in orders, long waits for cold food, etc) people leave bad reviews for the restaurant or call the place to complain about it only to be told that there was no record of them ever placing an order because, of course, they did it with a third party app that the place has no business relationship with.

What's worse is that these pages are often higher in search rankings than the actual restaurants website, so people are misleadingly funneled into the third party app's storefronts instead of the places own. It's causing a lot of legal issues. As a general rule, those delivery apps are operating, if not outright illegally, then so close to the line of illegality and unethically that anyone who uses them should be ashamed of themselves.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I just can't believe there's still enough Mr Beast meat to keep making burgers.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Jelly posted:

Yeah, but when you're a Republican bitching about it you look like a loving idiot because that's literally their entire platform (if they didn't have Democrats to bitch about, they wouldn't have a party. If they had more than Democrats to bitch about, they also wouldn't have a party). While Democrats are doing things like introducing ranked choice.

Basically what I'm saying is this fuckface can fall in a well and rot and I doubt even her family would give a poo poo.

Ah yes, as opposed to democrats saying it. Because after all they definitely have a strong powerful platform they're advancing and aren't busting strikes while laughing because what are you going to do, vote in the literal fascists? They wouldn't be destroyed by giving the people more options either, not one bit.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I still can’t get over how bad of a moniker “Mr. Beast” is. And I’ve probably got one of the dumber handles on this dead gay forum.

I mean, I guess it worked out for him considering he’s like a mega-mega-millionaire, but if I was just trying to start out and grow my brand, I wouldn’t want to accidentally steer my would-be followers to some horse fucker website.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

He's no LA Beast (RIP)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

kazil posted:

He's no LA Beast (RIP)

You fucker you made me go and check. He's fine

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I always forget they're different people. But only one of them has my respect.

quote:

In February 2016, [LA Beast] competed at Wing Bowl 24 where he ate a cactus live on stage. To qualify for the competition, Strahle ate 24 raw eggs in under four minutes.[29]

On May 12, 2017, [LA Beast] broke two additional Guinness World Records for both the most powdered doughnuts eaten in 3 minutes,[33] and the record for fastest time to drink a 32-ounce bottle (0.95 l) of pure maple syrup.[34] The previous record for most powdered doughnuts eaten in 3 minutes was 6 doughnuts, set by Shamus Petherick of Australia. It was beaten when [LA Beast] managed to consume 9 whole doughnuts in the same amount of time. For the second record, [LA Beast] drank 32 US fluid ounces (0.95 L) of pure maple syrup in 10.84 seconds, beating the former record of 26 seconds.

What a real American hero.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

the only thing i know about la beast is he can drink a prehistoric crystal pepsi without dying

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

the only thing I know about la beast is that his handjobs are dry and have a sort of unpleasant frantic energy to them

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Concerning.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Twitter is suuuuuper broken right now, just constant "tweet did not send" errors even though the tweets actually go through

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

AlmightyBob posted:

Twitter is suuuuuper broken right now, just constant "tweet did not send" errors even though the tweets actually go through

Looking into it

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

The Postman posted:

I've got some bad news for you about the "donkey sauce"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

unplug it, wait 60 seconds and then plug it back in. let me know when the light goes back to solid green