Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
If you're on good terms with the R1 staff they probably won't mind, that's how it went at mine more or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

My R1 has a capture cards and webcams in iidx, two of our ddr cabs, our valk cab, and PIU. We’re lucky to have a good mech team and a generous community.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Now this is really cool.

A few weeks ago, someone from Andimiro; the company that owns and produces Pump it Up reached out to me on Youtube asking me if I would like to receive a special AM pass from them. I thought it was a gimmick so I gave the rep a P.O address just in case this guy wasn't trying to send me anthrax in the mail or something. And this morning I went to check and it came with this:

It is a modified AM.Passcard that has 'Katamari' as the name with the special title: "Grandmastergoon".

So now officially I am on the leaderboards. Though I won't be able to go back to a live machine until a few weeks. When I go I will post some results.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Holy moly that rules

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Wow that’s rad!

In less rad news, pretty sure Jeff Paine of the infamous “I spent 11 years in prison” sows thread comes to my R1

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Yeah I am very happy I got that. I knew that the AM.Pass was a thing but it's not really something you would want to get unless you are hardcore into Pump it Up and other Andimiro games. In South Korea it's a big thing but in the states I have only met one person who uses one and it's a neat little thing to have if you care about tracking your progression and whatnot.

I used to be very into Pump it Up a lot during 2005-2012. I have a funny story that goes along with it. So if you like funny stories then buckle up.

I used to work for Disney during 2006-2010 and on my free time they had this place in Pleasure Island called Disney Quest that was a 5 story arcade where you paid an admission fee and all of the arcades were free to play. One day during a day off my friends and I went to it and when I saw they had Pump it Up (Prime) it was amazing to see as it was in the middle of everything. All floors could watch you dance and they had other rythm games like DDR and Beatmania. But one day I jumped on and was able to have fun. During this time I was around skill wise Single 21-Double 21. Which at the time itself was where the bar was highest. (Nowadays it's S26 singles and D28 Doubles)

After a few months of being there one of the coordinators told me about a contest Andimiro was holding and that I should definitely sign up. The person at the time did not know I was a cast member and I never said anything about it. So I did. There were teams showing up to freestyle to step to stamina. I just showed up to perform the best I could do at the time.

When near the Tournament's end my name was called and another guy from Cuba who traveled from there to compete. The prize was $2500 and all sorts of assortment of prizes that I can not remember what it was for the life of me. Things like Swag, merch, etc.

I won that Tournament fair and square and it was one of the most exciting times of my life. A few days later my boss at the time called me into his office and had to break the news to me that I had to forfeit the prize because I was technically "An Exhibition by Disney". And as signed in the contact at the time; I was forced to give up the prize to the guy from Cuba as well as being bound to not perform competitions in the future so long as I worked for the company.

This lead me into taking several years away from Pump it Up. And two years before the Pandemic I was able to get back into the game as well as perform at home. But believe me that day when I quit playing I had a good reason. Haha.

But going back into Pump. I was able to get my first S in S21:

This song is a CLASSIC. Love this.

I also got a friend of mine into playing at home and she was laughing at some of the things I have learned through the years. Like Vanishing steps. And asked me to try to perform that on harder steps. So Ill share with you goons on the easiest to what I can currently do in one play session.

Pom Pom Pom S17 [Vanish]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hCblCGSaJQ

Blow S19 [Vanish]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRZzkf0CwQI

Kimchi Fingers S20 [Vanish]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4pUK9MSA1k

Bullfighting's SOng S22 [Vanish]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFN9WO2-ujc

Going to try some S23s in the future. Im tired.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/danadamkof/status/1618847573477056512?s=46&t=7JC2EYxckfxBa0XBTnUZBw

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
How it started:

I was absolutely not ready for the rapid fire steps on my first playthrough. A good example of heel to toe hitting the same steps hits hard with this song.

How it Ended.
Death Moon S23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqp2DiIXdxg

Love is a Danger Zone S21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEBoJEVADUo

I performed this song because a friend of mine was doing the same song on Beat Saber and was surprised the credit went to BanYa. This next performance is a full song version of the PIU Classic but made as a User Custom Step. I think it's very fun for the level and im happy to share my attempt at it.

Beethoven Virus Full Song S18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98hF87mAVeU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I caught some of this. Beatmania the Final is a cool game. I always find it interesting that they were so tight on memory from stuffing as much music in as they could that the animations are super-tiny to compensate.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Latin American step makers are insane.

Bamboo S23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWIEHWoCYk
Let's go to 305 BPM ~ BABY!

Vegetable S21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN4r8gjtVNo

There are songs on this pack I am play testing that goes up to 2021 BPM and it sounds like hot loving garbage. And its an S31 which is neigh impossible to do on my end even with hand pads. But ill try in the future.

Edit- :siren: This next video sounds like crap! View at your own risk! :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP5QxGzgA4w

I had to enable Autoplay because these are what people are making nowadays that has me all sorts of messed up. I can read it but that does not mean my body -- or hell anybody can do this. There is no way.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 16, 2023

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i know that “konami has wildly inconsistent difficulty ratings” is such a dead horse at this point but i just want to talk to whoever decided that Hurry Hurry SPA is a 9. maybe i just don’t have the brain for that specific chart but man i have less trouble with 199024club

watho fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 19, 2023

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

watho posted:

i know that “konami has wildly inconsistent difficulty ratings” is such a dead horse at this point but i just want to talk to whoever decided that Hurry Hurry SPA is a 9. maybe i just don’t have the brain for that specific chart but man i have less trouble with 199024club

I personally think 9 is a fair rating but I could see it being an entry 10. It's right at the borderline. The first half with the left-hand pattern is a bitch. Your hand independence has to be on point or you're hosed. Feels really good when you pull it off, though! I can see why they decided to make it the final 6th Dan SP song.

Speaking of difficulty ratings, I've been very angry at DDR TagMix -LAST danceR- DSP. It's the last 14 I need to clear to get the folder lamp, and it is a gigantic dick of a chart. The song is great, but I feel like I have to keep throwing attempts at it until I memorize the gimmick parts, and there are a lot of gimmick stops and starts and BPM changes, plus an extremely slow read section that's somehow worse than bag. I really think this chart should be a 15 for how technical it is.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 19, 2023

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I hate gimmick start/stops. I can deal with gimmick BPM changes but I just have to do start/stops until they’re burned into my brain.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

holefoods posted:

I hate gimmick start/stops. I can deal with gimmick BPM changes but I just have to do start/stops until they’re burned into my brain.

Me too. This is why I pretty much always use a CMod in Stepmania for DDR.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/danadamkof/status/1627519251195244544?s=46&t=YSmWnzZkLzRviK-2DPQxpQ

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Oh hell yeah didn't realize there was a general rhythm game thread! I'm not actually good at any of them but I love them anyway (I got to take DDR as a PE credit in my youth, it owned) My favorite is Groove Coaster and I've played wai wai party on switch for hundreds of hours, there's a round1 near me that's supposed to have one but they didn't seem to when I called. Someday I'll win the lottery and get a home machine, I suppose.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

holefoods posted:

I have two exceptions. The very specific part of Valkyrie Dimension where it stops for every note, and all of anti anthem.

I suppose the thing they have in common is that they’re very obviously telegraphed. Also anti anthem is a banger.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i generally dislike it because it’s pure memorization and used rarely enough that it’s hard to build it as a generalized skill. but also gimmick charts are fun and i’ve done it several times so who cares

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

i still hate the first gimmick of IIDX, dj mass mad izm songs that have more scratches than notes

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Elephunk posted:

i still hate the first gimmick of IIDX, dj mass mad izm songs that have more scratches than notes

not sure that's the "first"gimmick, also scratch charts rule

watho
Aug 2, 2013

MiniFoo posted:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

soft landing on the body, gambol, and voltage were all added before watch out so it’s definitely not the first gimmick of iidx

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

holefoods posted:

Isn't there an option now in SDVX to auto-adjust your hi speed options so BPM changes don't actually mess with the chart (like some paid premium eAmuse setting)? Wish they'd port that over to IIDX too.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

garfield hentai posted:

Isn't there an option now in SDVX to auto-adjust your hi speed options so BPM changes don't actually mess with the chart (like some paid premium eAmuse setting)? Wish they'd port that over to IIDX too.

I don't believe that's a thing, people do use mods on KSM or whatever to ignore speed changes though.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

MiniFoo posted:

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

People really don’t play doubles in DDR at all, huh? I noticed I’ve gotten a few area records in the 12-13 difficulty range with scores that are not even particularly good. Kind of a bummer because a lot of doubles charts are extremely good.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
I really like playing doubles in DDR. Back when I played A regularly I’d sometimes get machine records, even regional records, but only on the easier songs. The harder stuff (14s-15s onward) can get way too much for me at my age though, and playing doubles with bar can get awkward when transitioning side to side, at least for me anyway.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’ve been enjoying doubles a lot since I got my second L-tek. It takes a lot more practice than singles and the patterns and body movements are more difficult due to the huge increase in pattern possibilities. I think most people don’t play it because it’s intimidating.

I finally got a new a new computer and locked in my stream set up so it actually sounds good and everything is in sync. I have a goal of 500 PFCs for 2023 and I’ll be playing weekday mornings 8-9:30 and weekend mornings 9:30-11 PST or so if anyone wants to come hang out. twitch.tv/RootReducer

I’m so happy - since Twitch Studio isn’t using 100% of my CPU my scores have gone up dramatically.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 27, 2023

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

I like DDR doubles but everyone who says Pump doubles is better is right.

It’s still fun for me and especially no-bar it’s a great workout.

edit: Also I've been streaming DDR semi regularly myself, along with other games (I'm working on getting all my cabs stream-ready in fact), at https://twitch.tv/DanAdamKOF

DanAdamKOF fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 28, 2023

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

When I was a broke teenager I never played doubles because you had to pay for two credits, not sure if that's still true in 21st century DDR

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Elephunk posted:

When I was a broke teenager I never played doubles because you had to pay for two credits, not sure if that's still true in 21st century DDR

Every machine I’ve come across (even older ones) is running joint premium now, kind of silly that it wasn’t the default all along since doubles charts aren’t nearly dense enough to be entertaining for two people.

holefoods fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 27, 2023

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Elephunk posted:

I started getting into doubles pre 2010 when this video was released onto the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYHOvTNmXzw

Pump it Up welcomed doubles as a skill so long as one player was on the field. If two players it locked you out of doubles. Even when I played DDR I do not remember paying double for performing doubles. When did they start doing that?

Edit-

Im gonna nerd a bit about the video I posted. The song performed was a D12 Mr. Larpus. The performer sped up the arrows to make the song look very difficult. In reality the song is not that hard to master with a sub >20 attempts. It has four twists and has a very easy navigating step pattern that is easy to predict.

What is impressive now is what is capable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsQ3lJyE5hY

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 28, 2023

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

My region has some pretty good doubles players, we had a guy who MFC’d every doubles chart from 1-7.

Then he moved to Florida :(

One nice thing with A3 is that you can switch between singles and doubles mid-set. Too bad you still have to grind unlocks for both (AFAIK)

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Katamari Democracy posted:

Im gonna nerd a bit about the video I posted. The song performed was a D12 Mr. Larpus. The performer sped up the arrows to make the song look very difficult. In reality the song is not that hard to master with a sub >20 attempts. It has four twists and has a very easy navigating step pattern that is easy to predict.

I remember downloading videos directly from random Japanese and Korean DDR / PIU sites back in 2001 and this was one of them. Another favorites were the A-Team, a freestyle team that would put together videos and introduced the matrix walk to hundreds of unsuspecting machine operators.

I dunno, it was pretty amazing at the time that somebody would take the time to memorize the chart to a fairly new song (iirc, the vid is from 2001-ish and the song was only released in PIU 3rd SE in late 2000) and be able to perform without looking at the screen. Hell, the peak of performance at the time was playing songs on SS4R, and MAX300 didn't even exist yet. GET OFF MY LAWN.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
It is a sad day for me. I accidently corrupted 92GB of data by installing a rhythm game software and accidently overwriting everything in my partition.

The backup I have was the barebones Pump it Up XX. So everything is A-OK there and I can continue playing. But all of my User Custom Steps and BGAs were wiped from the earth. Including the songpacks from the community. The good-ish news is I can get them back.

The worst part of all is I had to start my ranking over. Not like it matters as my AM.Pass card still holds my rank. But at home my rank is now back to beginner.

Oh well, Guess I need to get back to stepping so I can get my title back!

You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) S17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYWe55mEoL8

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

DDR world tournament going on right now - it's Day 2 and the whole thing is live at https://twitch.tv/ohioddr

Some absolutely beastly players. Check out the rules and stuff here https://upbeatdenver.com/

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Took down Saber Wing expert double today, not the best score but it was a big one on my hit list.

holefoods fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 5, 2023

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Harriet Carker posted:

DDR world tournament going on right now - it's Day 2

The only person I know in that list was Jboy and he also plays Pump it Up. But I was rooting for him!

Saw he made it to 13th which is still very impressive.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/danadamkof/status/1632274591468130305?s=46&t=B4qLSe2ummTbEtvMzIyGpA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I played IIDX for the first time in a while today. I've still been playing here or there on every version to keep my eAmuse pass updated but this time I think I might get back to playing semi-regularly, at least to see if I can train back up to going for regular clears on 10s. It's always nice coming in to see a new version and messing with the new songs! It's also nice to see that Premium Free is enabled in RESIDENT. I might mess with that to help with training!