Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

forspoken more like should have been softspoken

more like forespokin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
setting aside the one button gimmick of balan wonderworld, there are actually some okay ideas, but man do they get mostly buried by that gimmick and the iffy camera. i really feel for the devs who aren't yuji naka

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Launch trailer quotes are the best

https://twitter.com/NicolasVerge/status/1616620633453912067

Oh wait :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Looper posted:

setting aside the one button gimmick of balan wonderworld, there are actually some okay ideas, but man do they get mostly buried by that gimmick and the iffy camera. i really feel for the devs who aren't yuji naka

There's good ideas for sure! I think that's why it was such a heartbreaker for people, it had a lot going for it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Looper posted:

i really feel for the devs who aren't yuji naka

This is where I am with Dragonflight, cause it's a really really good expansion for WoW, pretty much the best in years, and I want more people to play it - but yeah... Activision Blizzard.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

more like foreskinpoke

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Gaius Marius posted:

You must be playing scholarship, in the OG I'm always sad to see Winter go buy so quickly.

I am playing Scholarship but idk how much it adds to Winter specifically. I know it does add several classes so you'll start hitting free-time a lot later if you're doing 2 a day.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I've been playing Dave the Diver, its a fun little spear fishing, sushi restaurant management game. Its good, chill vibes. Its getting a full release later this year, check it out if you are looking for something low stress and fun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

more like forespokin

wuggles posted:

more like foreskinpoke

more like porsporefink

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I am playing Scholarship but idk how much it adds to Winter specifically. I know it does add several classes so you'll start hitting free-time a lot later if you're doing 2 a day.

The only Christmas mission in OG is getting the Sweater from your mom, all the other Christmas missions were new content.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Nah that was dota. The threads were so insanely toxic that they were closed and making new ones or discussing it elsewhere in Games was forbidden.

I think this was when Kewpuh was a mod though it's been a while so I don't remember the details.

Dota more toxic than league confirmed

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Dota more toxic than league confirmed

league scrapes by predominantly due to the fact that it's mostly a game played by people in their teens and 20s, so the volume of posters who can cause a ruckus are proportionally smaller

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Jay Rust posted:

Last night I booted up Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous and after about two hours in character creation I was horrified to discover that the game has a fully rotatable camera. I suk at crpgs with fully rotatable cameras. Idk what's easier, making areas that allow a fully rotatable camera or making areas that only allow a static camera, if it's the latter than I wish they hadn't bothered making areas with a fully rotatable camera. I get lost so easily.

even better, in one of the acts you have to rotate the camera as a gameplay mechanic! game is good though

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

DotA 2 has always been the more "hardcore" one as well

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Vermain posted:

league scrapes by predominantly due to the fact that it's mostly a game played by people in their teens and 20s, so the volume of posters who can cause a ruckus are proportionally smaller

I bet there are plenty 40 year olds who want miss fortune and caitlyn to be their waifu

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

She and Gary Whitta (the other name from the credits list people are throwing around) are pretty far removed from the current project, from what they've said it's been literally 3 to 4 years since they were involved. They basically broke the broad story and set up the world and then their part was done, basically slightly more than GRRM did for Elden Ring

Bummer, well, I hope she's moved on to more stable employment.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
league also benefits from stuff like the cartoon and the card game so people can talk about it in more sane contexts

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Watching this it looks like there's 2 problems
- Dialogue is.. whatever, but that could have been fixed with camera cuts
- Her completely wooden face and blank stare aren't helping things.

I think it's that there's nothing going on in it, seems like this dialogue could just be slipped in while you walk through the entrance to the next location or whatever. This is banter, not moving the plot forward and even non-interactive cutscenes that do move the plot forward can be places to lose interest or be outright skipped. If anything important happens in the cutscene after this, I already have tuned out, and if it's not important, have to question why they interrupted the game to make you watch some 3d models act out mild comedy dialogue that was probably written years before gets to the point of production and recording. Important cutscenes should take away your control only to do something they couldn't realistically program in as gameplay or risk players missing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Vermain posted:

It also has Arcane which was independently excellent thus making it more tolerable in general to exist

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Might just go ahead and snap my Nier disc in half and stomp it to bits. Last night I ended at the start of story C, where you have to hack the transmitting machines. Tonight I started up again, got to the part with the virus, went back to the bunker, went back down to earth, was playing the part where 2B is infected and has to make her way to a place with no androids. During one of her limping phases where you can't dodge she got punched down into the very bottom of the pit. So then I had to wait for the limping phase to end so I could climb up the ladder and then get across that crater area that was full of robots. Except, 2B is limping so she's not faster than the robots. And the infection got to the point where she never leaves the limping phase. So when I get to the part where I can climb out, I can't anymore because she can't jump. And then she gets stunlocked by a series of robots and dies.

And now, I have to start all over again at the part where you have to hack the transmitting machines. The loving credits played, I went through a SHMUP section, and the game specifically told me not to touch the saving machines. And yet, no restart point like they do in boss fights.

I am extremely loving unhappy right now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What did it say to make you think you shouldn't save? I don't remember that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dabir posted:

What did it say to make you think you shouldn't save? I don't remember that

they say the terminals are infected

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Might just go ahead and snap my Nier disc in half and stomp it to bits. Last night I ended at the start of story C, where you have to hack the transmitting machines. Tonight I started up again, got to the part with the virus, went back to the bunker, went back down to earth, was playing the part where 2B is infected and has to make her way to a place with no androids. During one of her limping phases where you can't dodge she got punched down into the very bottom of the pit. So then I had to wait for the limping phase to end so I could climb up the ladder and then get across that crater area that was full of robots. Except, 2B is limping so she's not faster than the robots. And the infection got to the point where she never leaves the limping phase. So when I get to the part where I can climb out, I can't anymore because she can't jump. And then she gets stunlocked by a series of robots and dies.

And now, I have to start all over again at the part where you have to hack the transmitting machines. The loving credits played, I went through a SHMUP section, and the game specifically told me not to touch the saving machines. And yet, no restart point like they do in boss fights.

just hug the right wall and jump over the tiny gap when you get the opportunity op

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

just hug the right wall and jump over the tiny gap when you get the opportunity op

Yeah, that's what I was doing, until a robot punched me off the wall.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't get hit

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gripweed posted:

What an rear end in a top hat. I say kill em all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gripweed posted:

Well I'll tell ya, this robot guy sounds like A REAL JERK!

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Looked up the writing staff, is this what Uncharted dialog was?
Yes

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Don't get hit

At various points in this you literally can't move.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

icantfindaname posted:

Lol I'm on like level 4 of the story mode in advance wars and to the shock of nobody it's already fog of war nightmare bullshit. bring it on :getin:

What's an airport again?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
playing sin and punishment: star successor. i've played this before and hoped maybe the story would be easier to follow now that i've also played the original and it is! but only slightly lol. still a sick game though, we've all really done treasure a disservice by letting them die, they made some of the most insanely good action games ever

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I paid the full $50 for Star Successor at launch and bought it on the Wii U for $20, I did my part. Everyone else dropped the ball

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Take the long way around next time and give the pit a wide berth, the virus mostly gets worse by intervals as you get closer to the goal so you have like twenty minutes iirc. Still not a great part of the game in practice tho.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Star Successor is good but a lesser game than the original, imo

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Star Successor is so drat good. One the best Wii games.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What’s the best video game with a title that starts with Star?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Bring back the 3D accelerator box art aesthetic

Kameo: Elements of Power

(actually, please don't)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

God, Rare was just trying so hard to make the whole Xbox thing work before being banished to the Kinect mines.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i dont think we've ever banned discussion on a game

what about that imp zone guy who got banned for the innocent crime of wanting to LP anime kidnapping fetish game "didnapper"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

God, Rare was just trying so hard to make the whole Xbox thing work before being banished to the Kinect mines.

The whole Rare situation sucks, as there's just a buncha games languishing in IP hell not doing anything or being shipped out to other companies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S--lFTxAVs8