Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

It's within a degree on my phone to weather network, here in Southwestern Ontario. Roughly the same forecast. Maybe your phone is falling to update; you've tried uninstalling-reinstalling, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
The god tier weather app/service is Windy. Pick your climate model (or easily compare all 5) and any one of a bunch of visualisations. Hell, you can even look out the webcam of a weather station for somewhere, and set alerts based on the amount of heat, rain or snow on a given period.

Free if you’re cool with 3h averaged data, cheap if you’d prefer by the hour.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Inner Light posted:

Well the ultimate blame can still be on Apple but who knows what “sorry” equipment they are using up north to forecast weather. US companies are 100% dependent on NOAA equipment and if the federal government stopped funding NOAA a lot of the weather app companies would fold.

The annual budget for NOAA is ~$7 billion so you can see how government funding and equipment really benefits small guys using their data.

Canada has its own federal weather station network. I think apps like Apple’s show more data than our federal website does (from federal systems still, like Apple gets weather data from a station on a school nearby but if I go to weather.gc.ca they don’t have a page for that station easily visible) but we’re not years behind you in meteorology or something.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

when I've set up an alarm recently on my iphone, the alarm will go off and a stop/snooze notifcation will scroll down from the top of the screen. I remember it being a big button with a stop on it, in the middle of the screen. How do I get back to the big button instead of just having a notif at the top?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Arivia posted:

Canada has its own federal weather station network. I think apps like Apple’s show more data than our federal website does (from federal systems still, like Apple gets weather data from a station on a school nearby but if I go to weather.gc.ca they don’t have a page for that station easily visible) but we’re not years behind you in meteorology or something.

Look, it was mostly a poorly done Canada joke tied with a personality flaw of laziness so serious I couldn't google for 60 seconds, ok? :smugdon: (My genuine impression outside the bit, a priori knowing nothing would be that Canada's federal King's Service would be on par or better than NWS)

That's really cool, https://weather.gc.ca/ looks well done and a nice service. But yeah private companies can get weather stuff like that too for sure that differentiates them and provides a lot of good data.

I don't know if I found it from this thread or another but USA EPA AirNow is always fun to look at. https://www.airnow.gov/ -- it's really common for any app to have air quality index now but this had it years ago I think :)

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 21, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thwomp posted:

I actually use it a ton for grocery items.

AnyList has deep Siri integration and it's become a go-to thing when I'm in the kitchen and find I'm running out of something.

It took some time to learn (which I totally get. My wife still has to think about it first before saying anything) but I can say "Hey Siri, using AnyList, add orange juice to my grocery store list" or "Hey Siri, using AnyList, add toilet paper to my Costco list" and it just works. Love that.

FYI This actually works a bit better on Alexa. You can say, “Alexa, add toilet paper to the grocery list” and it shows up in AnyList. “Shopping list” will go to your Amazon list though.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

My Siri is slow to respond and stutters

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

My Siri is slow to respond and stutters

Don’t be ablest

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I have a CarPlay question that I can't seem to find the answer to, if there is one. How do I customize the CarPlay Dashboard, or can you at all?

Here's my dashboard

Maps (or whatever map app you use) being the big window is how it's supposed to be, and that's fine.
I'm particularly wondering about the two on the right. I'm fine with the music app being there but what about that search? It seems to bring up the search function for my driving app, so if I'm running Waze, it brings up Waze search. Is there a way to make it show, for example, my calendar, or are there sports apps that are CarPlay compatible and can show scores? Is there a way to move the positions of those two windows so the music app could be on the top instead?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tap the button with the rectangles in the lower left corner to get windows. The windows are not configurable. Apple decides for you what you will want to look at on your screen. Possibly you may be able to configure it in the future if the technology advances enough.

withak fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 22, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Don’t be ablest

Siri play Scatman John

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have a CarPlay question that I can't seem to find the answer to, if there is one. How do I customize the CarPlay Dashboard, or can you at all?

Here's my dashboard

Maps (or whatever map app you use) being the big window is how it's supposed to be, and that's fine.
I'm particularly wondering about the two on the right. I'm fine with the music app being there but what about that search? It seems to bring up the search function for my driving app, so if I'm running Waze, it brings up Waze search. Is there a way to make it show, for example, my calendar, or are there sports apps that are CarPlay compatible and can show scores? Is there a way to move the positions of those two windows so the music app could be on the top instead?

I'm pretty sure that upper right window is going to always be associated with whatever mapping app you're using. For example, on Apple Maps it shows the main navigation on the left and the upper right shows next turn information.
The bottom right, for me, shows audio and any upcoming calendar appointments depending on how soon they are.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Upper right will show events on your calendar if any are scheduled for the current day. Upper right is basically Apple's best guess at context sensitive widgets.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Haven’t flown since I got my iPhone, but I have to soon. So I have to buy a connector to use wired headphones, is there a good cheap one?

E: or can I just say screw it and use my Bluetooth poo poo? I don’t fly much.

RandolphCarter fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 22, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

RandolphCarter posted:

Haven’t flown since I got my iPhone, but I have to soon. So I have to buy a connector to use wired headphones, is there a good cheap one?

I’ve bought maybe 3 of them, usually the cheapest or most popular one. They all worked fine. One of them had a pass through to allow charging at the same time. based on my large sample, I think anything is likely to work.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

RandolphCarter posted:

E: or can I just say screw it and use my Bluetooth poo poo? I don’t fly much.

Assuming you are talking about rules on wireless radio in airplanes. And assuming you are in the US... You can use Bluetooth devices during all phases of flight.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The official Apple one is the best lightning to 3.5mm adapter and its $9

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

The official Apple one is the best lightning to 3.5mm adapter and its $9

yeah this

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Thanks for the input.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Thanks for the input.

You mean output?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I recently bought a USB mic and use it in combination with some good over the ear headphones to route webex calls through my work laptop. Previously I've been routing calls through my work iPhone (10) and putting it on speaker in my home office. I was wondering, is it possible to hook my USB mic and headphones (3.5mm) into the iPhone and have it use my USB mic as the input and headphones as the output?

I've seen adaptors like these (https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Headphone-Earphone-Lightning-Connector/dp/B0969Y9X66/) and lots of videos saying it's great for Garageband, but some videos also say that the iPhone won't use the mic as an input for calls, or that you may have to use a powered USB hub for the mic to work. Of course anything I can find seems to be no-name blogs and SEO optimized youtube videos, so who the gently caress really knows?

What's the actual story here? The need for a powered hub makes sense if you're using a larger mic, but will the iPhone really not use a USB mic as an input during a phone call? Why would it work for Garageband or other similar apps then?

This isn't a huge deal, so if it doesn't work or it's just a stupid idea for no gain I'll just stick to routing calls through my work computer. I am interested in finding out if one method uses less compression or otherwise has higher quality than the other. If it makes a difference I also have access to an iPhone 14.

Thanks in advance!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, no lie , mind blown.

Ironic that the first carrier to REALLY push unlimited data is the one with a competent data tracker link to iPhone , but hey this is America baby (and yes in the end all 3 are incompetent).

after a month, it also lets you compare "This Billing Period" and "Last Billing Period"

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Hi all, apologies but I read the FAQ and this seems a bit more than basic, and the searches I’ve done haven’t yielded any useful fix. I am having an issue receiving a FaceTime call from one specific contact only since upgrading to the 14 Pro Max a couple of days ago. I’ve had other FaceTime calls come through fine, but this one person (12 Pro Max updated IOS) will try to reach me and I don’t even get a ring or alert on my end. We’ve both tried rebooting our phones and have tried with other people and it works fine, the disconnect is with us.

If it matters, this person is the only one in my phone with custom ringtone settings and is also set to bypass all my Do Not Disturb and is my emergency contact.

Does anyone have any ideas?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sba posted:

If it matters, this person is the only one in my phone with custom ringtone settings and is also set to bypass all my Do Not Disturb and is my emergency contact.

Does anyone have any ideas?
I mean, it seems like it shouldn’t matter but first thing IMO would be to set all that stuff back to default (maybe delete their contact card and create a new one) to see if anything changes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

16.3 is out

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I've got a 6 that has a battery that lasts for about an hour now so I'm ready for an upgrade. I haven't kept up with any of the recent models or reviews, does anyone in this thread have a suggestion on what model I should look at? I obviously don't care about having the latest so if there's a model that's 1/2 generations behind but super reliable and a lot cheaper I'd go for that. Appreciate any advice!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tom Tucker posted:

I've got a 6 that has a battery that lasts for about an hour now so I'm ready for an upgrade. I haven't kept up with any of the recent models or reviews, does anyone in this thread have a suggestion on what model I should look at? I obviously don't care about having the latest so if there's a model that's 1/2 generations behind but super reliable and a lot cheaper I'd go for that. Appreciate any advice!

Just get an SE.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

SE is a choice but hear me out here....13 Mini

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Unless you have an aversion to absolutely perfect sized phones or you're a power user who needs 15 hours of battery life without access to a charger then the 13 Mini is your answer.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

as someone who has one, I can’t recommend the 13 mini with iOS 16. Not a good experience. Another model maybe?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hmm looks like the score is 2 yes and 1 no. Vote passes. 13 Mini purchased.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I'm looking to buy an old iphone to do basic annoying Apple tasks, namely 2FA and to run a couple iOS-exclusive apps.

What's the oldest, cheapest phone model to look at? I see iphone 8 can still run iOS16 and can be had for $50 on ebay.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

as someone who has one, I can’t recommend the 13 mini with iOS 16. Not a good experience. Another model maybe?

This is an incorrect opinion. I have the 13 mini and ios16 runs incredibly well on it, and doesn’t do anything wet n wild that feels like it wasn’t designed for that particular handset. So I don’t really know what this poster is getting at.. The past couple of generations of phones have so much processing overhead, updates don’t break a sweat.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

T Zero posted:

I'm looking to buy an old iphone to do basic annoying Apple tasks, namely 2FA and to run a couple iOS-exclusive apps.

What's the oldest, cheapest phone model to look at? I see iphone 8 can still run iOS16 and can be had for $50 on ebay.

The 8 will work though the SE 2 would probably have a longer support life. IMO there's a decent chance they'll drop support for the 8 this fall

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

This is an incorrect opinion. I have the 13 mini and ios16 runs incredibly well on it, and doesn’t do anything wet n wild that feels like it wasn’t designed for that particular handset. So I don’t really know what this poster is getting at.. The past couple of generations of phones have so much processing overhead, updates don’t break a sweat.

He’s doing a multi page bit where he is having phone problems and refuses to do a restore. So all 13 minis on iOS 16 are bad of course.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

The mini is a niche product and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wants a regular-rear end phone. Same with SE honestly.

I would go 11 or 12 if you're OK with that price.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

FCKGW posted:

The mini is a niche product and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wants a regular-rear end phone. Same with SE honestly.

I would go 11 or 12 if you're OK with that price.

How does the mini compare to the 6 I use now? I don’t imagine I want a phone much bigger. My wife has a bigger one and it seems massive to me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The 13 mini, even on iOS16, is objectively The Perfect Phone.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

canyonero posted:

He’s doing a multi page bit where he is having phone problems and refuses to do a restore. So all 13 minis on iOS 16 are bad of course.

Why would I do a restore? Nobody’s answered that, and it would take be about 4-5 hours to do that and probably several retries for restoring all my app data, like Signal — and many others have reported doing a restore and finding it didn’t fix anything at all. Spotlight has gotten marginally faster after enabling content indexing on everything (cluttering my search results) but it’s the worst phone I’ve ever had. It’s slow at everything and apps crash more than they ever have.

The 11 was a lot better at handling iOS 16, but I suspect the problems are not with the 13 mini’s hardware but with iOS itself. There’s a lot of reporting about this and a lot of users who have issues. Apple even had to remove HomeKit upgrades from iOS after release because bugs made it unfit for release.

I cannot recommend it. Maybe get an 11?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A restore takes like 15 minutes tops. Keep posting though brother I’m sure you’ll get through it.