Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Next series is Danny Boyle which is going to be a wild ride: Some stone cold classics, some stone cold flops, best picture winner, Aaron Sorkin, some dude slicing his own arm off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's gonna be something, He's probably the most critically acclaimed director whose work I find in it's entirety awful, but all in different ways.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Shallow Grave is so awesome. Def time for a rewatch. Surprised they don't mention Kerry Fox hammering the knife in deeper. It makes her a lot more irredeemable and it's one of the most visceral painful scenes in the movie. Always stuck with me.

As a teen i always thought Ewan died though wtf
I honestly prefer that. It's an even better ending with Ewan "winning" but also dying and nobody finding the money.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 23, 2023

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Next series is Danny Boyle which is going to be a wild ride: Some stone cold classics, some stone cold flops, best picture winner, Aaron Sorkin, some dude slicing his own arm off.

loving Sorkin lol, I forgot he wrote a Steve Jobs movie for Danny Boyle. I seriously have no idea how people willingly walked into theaters, watched that movie, then had the gall to try to tell people it was good.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I realized looking at his filmography that I have never watched Trainspotting. Wondering if that is going to feel aged now.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Jobs is pretty good if corny

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
RIP the David being raised in England bit.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

morestuff posted:

Jobs is pretty good if corny

Yeah, I like it, even if it's not great. I get people hating Sorkin, and for the most part they're not wrong, but he has some good stuff here and there. And yeah, it's not totally accurate, but it's a biopic, none of them are. I like the approach of telling the story through 3 pivotal moments in his life. And the acting in it is top notch.

It's sure better than that Ashton Kutcher piece of poo poo Steve Jobs movie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
We all know the best Steve Jobs movie is Pirates of Silicon Valley. They need a sequel to that with the same cast to tell the the story of what happened after Macworld 97.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jose Oquendo posted:

We all know the best Steve Jobs movie is Pirates of Silicon Valley. They need a sequel to that with the same cast to tell the the story of what happened after Macworld 97.

Oh I completely agree with this. Love that movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
If Jobs is a good Sorkin thing I'd be interested cuz it'd be the only good Sorkin related thing I ever encountered
West Wing is torture and that Chicago 7 movie was hot garbage

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Jobs was alright, but dialogue was so over the type, so Sorkin I guess. But it’s been a while since I’ve seen it. It always felt like it was meant to be a stage play to me.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The Boyle/Sorkin one is Steve Jobs. Jobs is the one Kutcher is in. Dumb titles.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

If Jobs is a good Sorkin thing I'd be interested cuz it'd be the only good Sorkin related thing I ever encountered
West Wing is torture and that Chicago 7 movie was hot garbage

I hate everything else he's done, but I'll always go to the mat for Sport's Night. It's clearly dated, because that's how time works, but the Sorkinisms are much, much more muted so it comes off as just quirky instead of obnoxious.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Man I watched this the night it aired when I was like 12 years old. It was the only way I thought of Steve Jobs until like 10 years later when he was in the news constantly. Maybe I’ll check out the Boyle movie for the podcast but I often don’t actually watch the movies before listening. I just like to listen to Griffin and David talk about anything.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

checkplease posted:

It always felt like it was meant to be a stage play to me.

He started as a playwright, so more or less. It works better with certain settings than others but I don’t think staginess is a bad thing on its face.

I like him better when he tones it down a little (or it gets toned down for him), like The Social Network and Moneyball

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This series is great news for all of us Sunshine defenders.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The big question is, do I just watch the good films and skip all the stinkers or do you think to really get the Danny Boyle Experience I need to watch The Beach?

checkplease posted:

I realized looking at his filmography that I have never watched Trainspotting. Wondering if that is going to feel aged now.

My brother in christ, same.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Shallow Grave is so awesome. Def time for a rewatch. Surprised they don't mention Kerry Fox

Watched it last night and loved it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Been a long time but I remember thinking The Beach was definitely worth the watch, it’s a nutty movie

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I saw the Beach when I was just a little too young and it was a wild ride. Feels like something I dreamt.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

This series is great news for all of us Sunshine defenders.

Sunshine is great.

checkplease posted:

Jobs was alright, but dialogue was so over the type, so Sorkin I guess. But it’s been a while since I’ve seen it. It always felt like it was meant to be a stage play to me.

It’s not that I need dialogue to be completely naturalistic, I just need characters to not all talk like smug stupid coked up rich assholes. Also I can’t stand that stock Sorkin interaction where the dumb character says something plainly idiotic and the smart geniusman character sassily corrects them by stating the obvious, usually by reciting a bunch of numbers or by writing an equation in dry-erase on a window for no reason, and then the dumb guy acts humiliated but thoroughly impressed with the geniusman’s wizardry. Even “good” Sorkin stuff like Social Network and Money Ball have this bullshit. That scene where someone writes an equation (the famous facebook equation??) on a dorm window is so loving hacky goddamn. I mean different strokes for different folks or whatever and god knows I like stupid crap too but his writing makes me so pissed off.

I hate Sorkin!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

Sunshine is great.

It’s not that I need dialogue to be completely naturalistic, I just need characters to not all talk like smug stupid coked up rich assholes. Also I can’t stand that stock Sorkin interaction where the dumb character says something plainly idiotic and the smart geniusman character sassily corrects them by stating the obvious, usually by reciting a bunch of numbers or by writing an equation in dry-erase on a window for no reason, and then the dumb guy acts humiliated but thoroughly impressed with the geniusman’s wizardry. Even “good” Sorkin stuff like Social Network and Money Ball have this bullshit. That scene where someone writes an equation (the famous facebook equation??) on a dorm window is so loving hacky goddamn. I mean different strokes for different folks or whatever and god knows I like stupid crap too but his writing makes me so pissed off.

I hate Sorkin!

When I’m feeling masochistic I watch clips of “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip” and cackle maniacally like I’m Sam Neill in “In The Mouth of Madness”

https://youtu.be/UZoJQhkQedU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ror posted:

The Boyle/Sorkin one is Steve Jobs. Jobs is the one Kutcher is in. Dumb titles.

Whoops. Thanks. I would have hated to have accidentally pointed someone towards the Ashton Kutcher one.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
The worst Sorkin thing is someone saying a non sequitur out loud and other people acting confused, then the original person acting all smug about it

"The President said he can't sign this bill unless you give us what we want"

".......lobster thermidor"

"Lobs- lobster themidor?!? What are you talking about?!"

"Heh. This is exactly like that time my wife and I had a fight about lobster thermidor. You see..."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Leo: "I don't want this President getting a phone call from the Bishop of Rome."
Josh: "Why would it matter if he got a phone call from the Bishop of Rome?"
Leo: "Because that's not the only name he goes by."
Josh: *deep sigh* "...the Bishop of Rome is the Pope?"

God dammit, people just call him the Pope, unless they're getting all fancy with his titles to make a point. And someone in professional politics would know what the gently caress you're talking about. Even when I was into The West Wing, I've never forgotten this scene because I hate it so much. People don't talk like that. It's the most Sorkin exchange I can think of.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Trainspotting loving rules my god.

Onto whatever hosed up little film is next and after that The Beach!

Re sorkin: I love Social Network and liked Jobs but every critisim in this thread is valid. I have been rewatching The Newsroom and holy gently caress it's bad lmao.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

algebra testes posted:

Trainspotting loving rules my god.

Onto whatever hosed up little film is next and after that The Beach!

Re sorkin: I love Social Network and liked Jobs but every critisim in this thread is valid. I have been rewatching The Newsroom and holy gently caress it's bad lmao.

The book is good too fyi.

Just don’t be like my dumb rear end reading an entire book in phonetic Edinburgh-dialect, figuring out everything via context clues… and then finding the glossary in the back right behind the last page.

It’s been 20 years and I’m still absolutely livid with how dumb I am.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A life less ordinary sure is a motion picture. It did make me laugh out loud and is wierd enough to make a great podcast episode.

The Beach was just as good as I remembered. No notes.

Onto a great run: 28 Days, Millions and Sun Motherfucking Shine.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Shallow Grave was alright and definitely felt like 90s energy. But A Simple Plan seems like the better version of this one. Crazy man living in the attic is fun though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I like Sorkin even while the pendulum on him is swinging this way. TRIAL OF THE CHICAGO SEVEN and that Lucille Ball movie he did are genuinely dreadful though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I get all the reasons people dislike Sorkin's writing, but drat the end of Two Cathedrals slaps.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

howe_sam posted:

I get all the reasons people dislike Sorkin's writing, but drat the end of Two Cathedrals slaps.

Oh, 100%. Nothing quite like an American President standing in the National Cathedral yelling at God in Latin.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A Life Less Ordinary Pod is as good as I hoped.

Also I swear to god the Beach is going to be 3 hours long, like the Trainspotting episode.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Ok finally watched Trainspotting and I think I missed seeing it in the right decade. I’m definitely not as high on it as many and the boys.

Ewan is great. And Boyle directs the hell of it bringing tons of energy and some wonderful shots. But the story is just kind of dumb for me and not one I connect to. There’s a counter culture aspect with the choose life speeches that doesn’t really seem much bigger than gently caress the system. And the whole thing seems to be Renton is an rear end in a top hat who really suffers no consequences. He steals and does lots of heroin, has sex with an under age girl repeatedly, and screws over his friends, and ends it all with a he’s good to be better speech even though we saw him shoot up in a bus bathroom 15 minutes ago.

Tommy is probably the most real depiction as his apartment turns to squalor not the cool party house of the others. Also the baby scene was a bit long but I guess the shock was important at the time.

I can see how this has influence on many films like requiem for a dream and fight club. I probably just prefer those to this one.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The beach is only 2 and a half.

But its got Emily Yoshida!

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Danny Boyle sounds like a chill dude to get a beer with, after nearly dying in a typhoon together

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
March Madness approaches...

https://twitter.com/blankcheckpod/status/1628417098987757568

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rooting for Almodovar

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Very cool montage, have they done that before for March Madness? Reminds me of Erlich’s best of the year videos, wonder if he put that together for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

algebra testes posted:

The beach is only 2 and a half.

But its got Emily Yoshida!

I have no idea why, but going into the episode I kept getting The Beach and Brokedown Palace mixed up. I guess because they both feature a star from Romeo+Juliet having A Bad Time in Thailand?