Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016

SG Bamboo posted:

I just really enjoy the promotion, in terms of in ring the ceiling is rarely as high as other promotions but the floor is also way higher

I think it depends on what you like in wrestling. TJPW may not always have the Meltzer-approved """high workrate""" (for want of a better word) style of match, but instead the wrestlers mostly stick to sound wrestling fundamentals and more traditional """psychology""" (another word I'm not fond of but I'll use), particularly in tag matches. That's where the promotion really shines in-ring, I think. A lot of the Reiwa AA Cannon matches are good examples of using old-school tag match structures to great effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

I also enjoy as a viewer the evolution of gear (or going back to old gear when they're running two days in a row, I fell in love with Raku when she brought three different outfits to Princess Cup rather than do laundry) as people develop, as well as little things like the scraps of cloth Hikari has hanging on her hip in reference to her old partner Sena Shiori who had to retire due to illness.

:smith: the tokyo space ranger.

SG Bamboo posted:

I just really enjoy the promotion, in terms of in ring the ceiling is rarely as high as other promotions but the floor is also way higher, even the nothing shows are super easy to watch and always leave me thinking they were worthwhile time spent.

The Princess Road has been the most compelling a wrestling promotion has been to me ever.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Unagi Sayaka invaded GLEAT at their show the other night. It seems like they're building her to a match with Michiko Miyagi, which should slap.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

karmicknight posted:

The Princess Road has been the most compelling a wrestling promotion has been to me ever.

rolling out of my bed onto a big pile of dr pepper cans at 6am to watch maki itoh lose again and go :sickos:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
:sickos:
https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1617060330089349121

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The ascent of Miu Watanabe begins!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Big Swing in in the Tokyo Dome in front of 40,000 Miu Watamaniacs

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rarity posted:

I told you she was a monster! :argh:

No one who has a cute teddybear like that could be evil!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Love that this match is the main eventers vs the people who should be main eventers and also a loving bunny rabbit

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oh no they got to you too

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Charlotte is also a monster.

Everyone in NEO Biishiki-gun is a monster because they're French

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Even Mei-Saint Michel, the French maid!?! :aaa:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Even Mei-Saint Michel, the French maid!?! :aaa:

She is a goblin from the woods

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lamuella posted:

French woods, French goblin :hmmyes:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
She's only a goblin if she is from the Goblin region of France, anywhere else and she is just a sparkling gremlin.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

All of France is the Goblin region of France.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh no

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rabbit season?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Mahiro is going to have to apologise to Mizuki for the year of Mahiro

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lamuella posted:

I mean you say that, but I swear I just last night saw Mizuki bite her opponent in the leg to get out of a submission hold.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I mean you say that, but I swear I just last night saw Mizuki bite her opponent in the leg to get out of a submission hold.

Well yeah bunnies are loving psychotic everyone knows that

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Taxman posted:

Also, Malakai Black has said Miyu's buzzsaw kick is better than the Black Mass

https://twitter.com/malakaiblxck/status/1417896440991453185?s=20

This is awesome and I can't wait

I'm also really annoyed they have the names in a different order than the pictures. :argh:

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 22, 2023

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/sg_oxxt/status/1617113061223206914

I am in tears

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Jungle Kyona wants a GHC Women's belt https://twitter.com/noah_ghc/status/1617074253169557504

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So am I wrong in assuming that a lot of stuff on Wrestle Universe, like the Heart Max tournament, just doesn't have English commentary?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yeah. A lot of it doesn't have any commentary at all. Only the big shows get a commentary desk, and only the biggest ones get an English language one too.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

So am I wrong in assuming that a lot of stuff on Wrestle Universe, like the Heart Max tournament, just doesn't have English commentary?

no, you're not - english commentary is usually reserved for the big shows. the official english twitter account for TJPW does a decent job with updates if there's anything important happening on the japanese only shows.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

For historical shows (starting roughly pandemic era) DDT/TJPW English update has translations: https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng

Occasionality, still Mr Hakusan does pro-bono live trans on his account if the official English twitter account isn't: https://twitter.com/misterhakusan (a good follow anyway)

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, only the big shows have English comms because they only have a handful of people that can do it and it's probably not worth the cost to translate smaller shows.

TJPW's English primary commentary team is done by DDT's Chris Brookes and Gatoh Move/ChocoPro's Baliyan Akki. Since they are both working wrestlers, that can sometimes lead to musical chairs with guest and additional commentators.

Check Mr. Hakusan on Twitter, as he usually has extra info during the shows that commentary couldn't/didn't translate, like Raku's Train of the Day, or explaining whatever Hyper Misao shenanigans just happened, or otherwise things that have cultural nuance that someone who isn't Japanese may not be aware of.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 22, 2023

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Yeah, only the big shows have English comms because they only have a handful of people that can do it and it's probably not worth the cost to translate smaller shows.

TJPW's English primary commentary team is done by DDT's Chris Brookes and Gatoh Move/ChocoPro's Baliyan Akki. Since they are both working wrestlers, that can sometimes lead to musical chairs with guest and additional commentators.

You frequently get Drew Parker from Big Japan popping in, and that's always nice because he and Chris have wonderful chemistry.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Lamuella posted:

You frequently get Drew Parker from Big Japan popping in, and that's always nice because he and Chris have wonderful chemistry.

I enjoy Drew getting confused when Chris explains TJPW lore to him.

TJPW lore is also kinda psychotic so it's understandable.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Yeah I was wondering about that! They were a good team on the Summer Sun Princess show and I really enjoyed how... I dunno how to put it, raw? They were. No sugarcoating, no whattamaneuvers, just "JESUS loving CHRIST!" when someone's head got kicked off.

I was also wondering how a DDT wrestler and someone from the Emi Sakura Cinematic Universe were on commentary for a TJPW show. For DDT I guess it makes sense since they're owned by the same company and both's shows air on Wrestle Universe.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah I was wondering about that! They were a good team on the Summer Sun Princess show and I really enjoyed how... I dunno how to put it, raw? They were. No sugarcoating, no whattamaneuvers, just "JESUS loving CHRIST!" when someone's head got kicked off.

I was also wondering how a DDT wrestler and someone from the Emi Sakura Cinematic Universe were on commentary for a TJPW show. For DDT I guess it makes sense since they're owned by the same company and both's shows air on Wrestle Universe.

TJPW booker Koda has a very close relationship with the Emi Sakura Cinematic Universe

https://twitter.com/mattsdl/status/1122471068428406785

https://twitter.com/sad_spree/status/1479039245419528197

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

What on earth is the Emi Sakura Wrestling Wedding

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Emi Sakura basically runs the Hydra of the wrestling world. Sleeper agents everywhere.

Chrissy B is also a regular at ChocoPro (and incredibly loyal to them, as he said Emi was the one who really helped him out when he got stuck in Japan when covid lockdowns happened), so that's probably how Akki got roped in to helping him with TJPW's That's JPW all-English short series, which led to them doing TJPW comms.

Also there are random Gatoh Move shows up on Wrestle Universe. I know at least the episode where he puts Rin Rin into the ceiling is on there.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 22, 2023

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Emi Sakura continues to influence the world.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I miss That's JPW. What a lovely little show that was.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

fez_machine posted:

TJPW booker Koda has a very close relationship with the Emi Sakura Cinematic Universe

https://twitter.com/mattsdl/status/1122471068428406785

https://twitter.com/sad_spree/status/1479039245419528197

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hMxhpJWeQ

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lamuella posted:

I miss That's JPW. What a lovely little show that was.

Brookes and Akki's mixture of confusion and delight listening to the bizarre nonsense the wrestlers were saying was the best :allears:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Poster for the TJPW PPV

quote:

PPV Tickets on Sale Now!

PPV tickets for "Beyond the Origin, Into the Future", to be delivered from Twin Box AKIHABARA on Monday, January 30 at 20:00, are now on sale.

https://wrestle-universe.com/lives/buH9ibbfhdJAY4GKZcEuJX

This will be the first PPV distribution from #wrestleUNIVERSE.

PPV tickets are 3,500 yen. UNIVERSE members will pay 2,800 yen for PPV tickets.

You can watch as many times as you like until Tuesday, Feb. 6.

This is the same day and same place as the first TJPW event that started 10 years ago with only 3 trainees.

It will be a non-spectator event because the venue is too small to accommodate the current TJPW audience, but "because it's a PPV" we will be able to put on this emotional show.

Please tune in!

Cool that there's a discount if you already subscribe to wrestle universe.

The best thing about the poster is that it's is very clearly grouped by relative position in the TJPW hierarchy. Main Event in the top two rows, midcard in the next two, and then the undercard.

This is good because it is clearly indicating that Miu is going to be pushed real hard this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

That look interesting, but you can only watch it for a week if you buy it?