Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jackdaws! :stoked: :cheersbird: :crow: :coolbird:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the russian bray shamans are using flock of doom on keev

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

the more I learn about this guy the more I don't care for him.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

tristeham posted:

reverse snobbery loving sucks too

looks like the truth is in the middle

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

supersnowman posted:

In barrack in peace time sure but on the front line? How fast can you shave a beard if the enemy decide it's gas o'clock?

who cares about gas anyway? ff pointed out like a year ago that mustard gas has a lower ifr than covid, which is over

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

And the most popular movies are marvel bullshit. People mostly being idiots with no taste is the norm and always has been, doesn't mean there's no film or literary culture.

smdh at this liberal garbage of assuming that tastelessness is the natural endpoint of human thought when taste itself is a cultural context thats actively being manipulated by capitalist incentives

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Starsfan posted:

the more I learn about this guy the more I don't care for him.

Saw this today:

Look at Zelensky's path to power - a comedian plays an average Josep who becomes President. The show becomes the launchpad for a political party named after the show, with the title character now available. Its like a Marvel Universe come to life - Iron Man for Prez.

During his election campaign, Zelensky avoided all the traditional tests of a leader - he refused to participate in debates or answer the press. His whole campaign took place on Facebook and via social media. This is precisely how you'd run a put-up job, creating a cult of personality.

Fighting corruption is the standard promise everyone makes in Ukraine. Zelensky was only unique because he made that (and implementing Minsk) the sole focus of his campaign.

Shortly after being elected, Zelensky faced his first big challenge - getting Minsk implemented. There was a simple path to this - using the Steinmeier Formula, Kiev would ask the OSCE to run a referendum in Donbas while it was still under DPR control. Once the OSCE had validated that the referendum had taken place without violence or intimidation, Kiev would accept the results. The outcome was already known - ~75% would vote for reintegration with Ukraine under conditions that amount to a federalism model.

Rather than go down this well-understood path, Zelensky chose to confront Ukraine's nationalists directly, and order them to back down. They refused. There's video of Zelensky going to visit Azov and them refusing his orders.

Zelensky backed down. If the head of state tolerates open defiance from an army unit, he is effectively pro-corruption. (Private power trumps state power). If Zelensky had been who he claimed to be, he would have had no choice but to force Azov to back down, or disband the unit.

Over the summer of 2019 Zelensky tried to find a way to implement Minsk. He was opposed by nationalists who ran a "No Russian Capitulation" campaign. Nationalists had won only ~10% of the vote, but they used the threat of violence to stop Zelensky. He failed to mobilize any support, and continued backing down. It very much looked like his whole plan was a fake out from the beginning. Once the protests grew, he decided that he was in danger of being ousted in a new Maidan, so he capitulated. Minsk was dead, and nobody had done more to kill it than Zelensky.

In 2021, Pravy Sektor leader Sternenko was convicted of kidnapping and robbery. (He had gotten off on several serious crimes on multiple occasions). Nazis staged a riot in Kiev which ended up with over a dozen cops injured and trashed Zelensky's offices.

Zelensky backed down. The courts corruptly overturned the conviction, and Sternenko went free.

After the invasion, Zelensky banned a whole swath of political parties,. seizing their assets. Then he banned and shut down all Russian-language TV and radio stations. And he recently banned the Orthodox Church of Ukraine.

It's normal in a war for there to be strict control of TV and radio. The government will often place censors in the producers booths. Politicians or priests engaging in treason can be charged and prosecuted in a court of law. Zelensky didn't bother with any legal process like that. He may as well have declared millions of Ukrainians to be traitors.

Zelensky is the most corrupt President Ukraine has ever had. When te book on him is finally written, he will be emblematic of corruption in Ukraine.

The only good thing about him is, the next President won't be able to avoid being a massive improvement.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dixon Chisholm posted:

who cares about gas anyway? ff pointed out like a year ago that mustard gas has a lower ifr than covid, which is over

Gas is less useful than actual conventional artillery anyway, it's not like everyone abstained from it in WW2 because they were feeling honourable

Some Guy TT posted:

smdh at this liberal garbage of assuming that tastelessness is the natural endpoint of human thought when taste itself is a cultural context thats actively being manipulated by capitalist incentives

There's dick jokes preserved at Pompeii dude, get a grip

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

if dick jokes are the platonic ideal of tastelessness than why is our culture buried in the marvel cinematic universe and not the dick joke cinematic universe

drat suddenly i wish we had a dick joke cinematic universe

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

During his election campaign, Zelensky avoided all the traditional tests of a leader - he refused to participate in debates or answer the press. His whole campaign took place on Facebook and via social media. This is precisely how you'd run a put-up job, creating a cult of personality.

Fighting corruption is the standard promise everyone makes in Ukraine. Zelensky was only unique because he made that (and implementing Minsk) the sole focus of his campaign.

Zelensky is the most corrupt President Ukraine has ever had. When te book on him is finally written, he will be emblematic of corruption in Ukraine.

I think it was Citations Needed that made the argument that "anti-corruption" is essentially a form of "anti-politics", a form of neoliberal depoliticization.

If you're on the right, you want to do things: deregulate the economy, cut taxes, persecute minorities, and so on. Unregulated capitalism breeds corruption, of course, but you don't say that, and maybe you'll even claim the opposite, that by freeing corporations from the fetters of regulators, you are reducing corruption because it's the government bureaucrats that are corrupt.

If you're on the left, you also want to do things: build trains, build hospitals, build schools, build houses, enact social programs that hand out money to the poor, taxing the rich, all that stuff. But if you're entering office in a country that's already corrupt, and every country on earth has corruption in one degree or another, then getting these things done requires involving yourself in corrupt processes.

The construction of a hospital is going to involve bribing some, or even all, of the people up and down the chain.

If you do it, then you're going to be nailed on corruption allegations.
If you don't do it, then you have nothing to show for yourself and you get drummed out of office for having accomplished nothing.

But, if you are of the third way, you can valorize the doing of nothing by running on a platform of anti-corruption. "I'm not trying to roll back abortion rights like the conservatives, and neither am I stuffing the pockets of the union bosses like the left", you might say.

And again, because everyone is corrupt to one degree or another, you can use anti-corruption campaigns as a way to persecute your political enemies. Never mind that you don't do the same to your political allies: they're corrupt, you got them. Mission accomplished, right?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Slavvy posted:

Gas is less useful than actual conventional artillery anyway, it's not like everyone abstained from it in WW2 because they were feeling honourable

Japan used gas against China in WW2.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

also they introduced kurosawa films to china and they were quite popular there ten years before they received international recognition anywhere else

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Slavvy posted:

I'm not sure which idea is more offensive, that dick jokes are tasteless or that ancient Romans should be considered a model of a healthy society that would encourage good taste.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

Japan used gas against China in WW2.

Didn't know about this, like in combat, or just to massacre civilians?

Weka posted:

I'm not sure which idea is more offensive, that dick jokes are tasteless or that ancient Romans should be considered a model of a healthy society that would encourage good taste.

I was just trying to say that tasteless poo poo is the norm throughout history, christ you people are deranged sometimes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I was just trying to say that tasteless poo poo is the norm throughout history, christ you people are deranged sometimes

sometimes?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Oh so you're just going to double down on your insults towards dick jokes?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
lol

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Slavvy posted:

Didn't know about this, like in combat, or just to massacre civilians?

Yes. Japan was a bad country.

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-51664-6_14

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

loving lmao if it turns out that a danish nazi pedophile did more for world peace in 2023 than all EU elected officials put together

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
seems like there's alot of anger in Finland towards Russia though, I would like to see this resolved without the need for people to join military alliances like we are living in the 1800's if it all possible

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/2russophobic4u/status/1616542854569988096

Zamn!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's always funny when people think Turkey is yet another pushover Western vassal state country then they get confused by Turkey acting exactly like Turkey always does.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
olaf the tankie

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

seems like there's alot of anger in Finland towards Russia though, I would like to see this resolved without the need for people to join military alliances like we are living in the 1800's if it all possible

It didn't seem like joining NATO in order to "punish" Russia seemed like a wise move though.

Erdogan obviously his going to be upping his demands, and the question is the US relents (and Sweden/Finland have to bend backwards) and just gives him what he wants or actually start trying to "punish" him as well which is going to lead to a downward spiral especially with election itself being a big X factor.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
All of Finland is 5.5 million people, or about the same as one large city in many other nations.

Finland is angry at this. Finland is angry at that. The question is - when is Finland ever happy apart from the Finnish streamers who play My Summer Car on Steam? They seem pretty happy. Maybe they all just need to chill and play that game, it seems pretty cool.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Olaf's right

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

It didn't seem like joining NATO in order to "punish" Russia seemed like a wise move though.

Erdogan obviously his going to be upping his demands, and the question is the US relents (and Sweden/Finland have to bend backwards) and just gives him what he wants or actually start trying to "punish" him as well which is going to lead to a downward spiral especially with election itself being a big X factor.

The USA already hosed Erdogan raw over a wooden fence on a lot of past promises. I doubt he's forgotten and every repeat perceived offense towards the Turkmen is likely both a source of ire and excellent domestic political capital.

Which would be elementary if the current brain trust wasn't riddled with plaque and dementia.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

loving lmao if it turns out that a danish nazi pedophile did more for world peace in 2023 than all EU elected officials put together

You'd think CSPAM would be less happy about that but here we are

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

evilmiera posted:

:gb2gbs:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

could they have picked a more flattering picture 😍

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

evilmiera posted:

Let me channel a bit of NAFO:

"But he's our nazi pedofile shaiser fetishist so its okay, don't worry about it. Photoshop those tattoos out."

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it was Citations Needed that made the argument that "anti-corruption" is essentially a form of "anti-politics", a form of neoliberal depoliticization.

If you're on the right, you want to do things: deregulate the economy, cut taxes, persecute minorities, and so on. Unregulated capitalism breeds corruption, of course, but you don't say that, and maybe you'll even claim the opposite, that by freeing corporations from the fetters of regulators, you are reducing corruption because it's the government bureaucrats that are corrupt.

If you're on the left, you also want to do things: build trains, build hospitals, build schools, build houses, enact social programs that hand out money to the poor, taxing the rich, all that stuff. But if you're entering office in a country that's already corrupt, and every country on earth has corruption in one degree or another, then getting these things done requires involving yourself in corrupt processes.

The construction of a hospital is going to involve bribing some, or even all, of the people up and down the chain.

If you do it, then you're going to be nailed on corruption allegations.
If you don't do it, then you have nothing to show for yourself and you get drummed out of office for having accomplished nothing.

But, if you are of the third way, you can valorize the doing of nothing by running on a platform of anti-corruption. "I'm not trying to roll back abortion rights like the conservatives, and neither am I stuffing the pockets of the union bosses like the left", you might say.

And again, because everyone is corrupt to one degree or another, you can use anti-corruption campaigns as a way to persecute your political enemies. Never mind that you don't do the same to your political allies: they're corrupt, you got them. Mission accomplished, right?

great posts :tipshat:

didn't Xi start out as an anti corruption guy tho

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Do you have to wipe drool off your shirt when you type or does a nurse do it for you?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I said before that regardless of whether it’s Ukraine or Russia that loses, It will be Erdogan that wins. And time seems to keep proving me right.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Starsfan posted:

hating the russians for no real reason is a time-honored pastime here though

in somewhat saner times this was mostly suppressed in the name of national interest in not pissing off the military great power and major trade partner next door, but neoliberalism has apparently hollowed out the ability to conduct actual diplomacy in finland as well

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

This war has turned the west into clowns. The surviving non clowns will take any sanity they can find, from whatever source. Happiness has got nothing to do with it. If a scumbag accidently derails NATO's attempts to escalate then great.

We're one idiot EU decision from ww iii

Regarde Aduck has issued a correction as of 08:59 on Jan 24, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

galagazombie posted:

I said before that regardless of whether it’s Ukraine or Russia that loses, It will be Erdogan that wins. And time seems to keep proving me right.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Quote tweets perfectly split between "wow based" and "derr tankie untermensch must be purged"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

gradenko_2000 posted:

could they have picked a more flattering picture 😍

I know what you mean, I wish I had hair like that