Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

is pepsi ok posted:

Insisting that we had no other choice and actually it saved lives if you really think about it.
The Manhattan Project saved lives because they had set aside like a handful of cities as test subjects for the bomb, sparing those cities from firebombing raids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nuclear War posted:

Anyone mentioned calling themselves "expats" instead of immigrant?

Isn't this more of a generic white english world thing? Americans generally don't like leaving America for longer than a vacation.

You're getting boomer retirees and crypto criminals. You can just push them into the nearest ocean, we don't need them back.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
they have like a million political appointees in their civil service

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

poor people might stop being poor if we don't spend lotsa money trampling them continuously

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
they order household consumable items on amazon (same day delivery)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

exmarx posted:

they order household consumable items on amazon (same day delivery)

this is in no way unique to america

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
It's foreigner behaviour to us.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

In Training posted:

its common practice to run a "background check" when youre hired for a job. Wth is this

This is so you can check if they’ve shot anyone at their previous jobs.

gradenko_2000 posted:

"work wife" / "work husband"

had literally never heard of this phenomenon before 2022

This so you can gently caress someone at work without angering God.

webcams for christ posted:

actually using nuclear weapons, on cities, with 90% of casualties being civilians

We built a bomb we thought had a tiny chance of igniting the atmosphere and destroying the planet and you expected us not to try it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Trixie Hardcore posted:

This so you can gently caress someone at work without angering God.

okay I'm going to break posting kayfabe here a little to genuinely ask if "work spouse" actually does imply having a carnal relationship with someone from work, rather than just "this is a colleague / work-friend that I am so very close to that it's almost like we're a couple at work"

I mean, isn't that just a sub-category of having an affair?

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
How can it be an affair if you are work married?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay I'm going to break posting kayfabe here a little to genuinely ask if "work spouse" actually does imply having a carnal relationship with someone from work, rather than just "this is a colleague / work-friend that I am so very close to that it's almost like we're a couple at work"

they invented a word for being friends with a colleague of the opposite sex, that's it

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Weka posted:

How can it be an affair if you are work married?
Yep. It's called a work-life balance, which clearly implies that life is separate from work. The only way it's an affair is if you gently caress anyone but your work spouse during work hours, or your life spouse outside work hours.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yep. It's called a work-life balance, which clearly implies that life is separate from work. The only way it's an affair is if you gently caress anyone but your work spouse during work hours, or your life spouse outside work hours.

loving your spouse during work-from-home is cheating on your work spouse.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's the latter

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
having a complex system of marriages for each building you enter

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
creating soulless machines to do jobs once done by cheerful talking prehistoric animals

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Kazzah posted:

creating soulless machines to do jobs once done by cheerful talking prehistoric animals

i was shocked when i got to go to europe for work and i saw that they were still making their espressos the old fashioned way - grinding the beans in the mouth of a baby woolly mammoth by rotating his trunk like a crank

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i was shocked when i got to go to europe for work and i saw that they were still making their espressos the old fashioned way - grinding the beans in the mouth of a baby woolly mammoth by rotating his trunk like a crank

it's a living...

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

genetically modified pig people kept in underground labs to harvest organs from for the ruling class

getting mad on behalf of some other country's royal family when Harry mentions this

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

they put their flag on products. i got a pair of boots that had little american flags sewn on.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zodium posted:

they put their flag on products. i got a pair of boots that had little american flags sewn on.

this violates the flag code, a thing that exists in america

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

exmarx posted:

they invented a word for being friends with a colleague of the opposite sex, that's it

She's not your work wife unless you have more emotional intimacy than your government wife. Sexual intimacy is optional.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

vyelkin posted:

this violates the flag code, a thing that exists in america

treating the flag as sacred and only following flag code when it's convenient

the number of houses in florida that don't have proper lighting but don't take the flag down, fold it, and properly store it every night amuses me, they're the same people that think flag burning should be met with summary execution and their flag is in absolute tatters hanging on a rusty-rear end pole because you leave it out in the wind and rain and overnight

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

War and Pieces posted:

government wife

lol

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

gradenko_2000 posted:

exmarx posted:

It’s this plus the implication it’s a person you spend more time with than your actual partner because it’s totally normalized to be constantly overworking so people have turned the sad reality of spending more time with your co-workers than your actual family into a cute little joke.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

switching the name order in anime subtitles

Sorgrid
May 1, 2007
So it goes.
Watching dubbed anime

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Sorgrid posted:

Watching dubbed anime

is this the same thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JRH6KegcdE

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i wonder if those are rural japanese accents

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
they close QCS

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

tristeham posted:

they close QCS

They call people "spaz"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://shop.franzia.com/collections/accessories/products/franzia-box-wine-backpack

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

typical american decadence. can simply scissor a hole in a jansport like the rest of us plebs. ostentatious flaunting of wealth.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Not letting people use real locks on their luggage (just those lovely TSA ones).

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Kreeblah posted:

Not letting people use real locks on their luggage (just those lovely TSA ones).

unless you have a firearm in your luggage then you get to use literally any functional lock you want (no approval required)

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

i've heard that a good way to keep your luggage from being hosed with is to pack something like a starter pistol

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Kreeblah posted:

inventing the TSA

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
they publish the mugshots of anyone who gets arrested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Also perp walk them.