Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

PerniciousKnid posted:

I was kinda thinking my young kids might enjoy a roll and write of some kind, any good ones with accessible themes nowadays (i.e. probably not Twilight)?

Voyages. $4 gets you the 4 or 5 maps that they've come up with so far, in glorious pdf. Very easy to get your head around for a youngun, and picking dice results to use as your ship's heading and speed is very thematic. Might not technically count as a roll and write, which explains why I enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Dunno why it took me so long to pick up the immortality expansionfor dune imperium. I guess I thought I might get it for Christmas.

Anyway it's great. It manages that tricky thing of adding more to the game without diluting the existing game. You replace two starter cards with two that are the same, but also interact with a new track, and a separate market row. It also replaces one board space such that it interacts with the new track and market row.

I've always really liked Dune Imperium, but playing it with Ix and Tleilaxu expansions, it feels amazing. I think it's cool how you can stop taking worker actions early to buy, so that you have some control over the market row, but now you also get a once per game token that let's you totally clear the row. Its such a simple idea, you could easily house rule it in without the expansion, and I would, every single time. Probably into every deck builder ever.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

A dude posted:

I was kinda thinking my young kids might enjoy a roll and write of some kind, any good ones with accessible themes nowadays (i.e. probably not Twilight)?

Bottom Liner posted:

Super Skill Pinball 4cade definitely hits this perfectly. Solid game.

Kids today will have no idea what the heck 'pinball' is.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Gynovore posted:

Kids today will have no idea what the heck 'pinball' is.

It's the only video game on grandpa's super old computer.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They’re probably not familiar with horse track betting or civil engineering either but what are you gonna do

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Bottom Liner posted:

They’re probably not familiar with horse track betting or civil engineering either but what are you gonna do

This is another point towards Voyages, because every kid knows what pirate ships are.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Cartographers at least has some player interaction. You pass your maps to one another and draw nasty little goblins in awkward places.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

homullus posted:

Summoner Wars 2e is easily the best faction-based tactical game I can think of to play with an 8-year-old. I would have begged to play it every day at age 8. I don't know what would be distant second, maybe X-Wing with rosters you wrote up in advance? Every other "better" faction-based game I can think of is some combination of (1) not tactical (e.g. Blue Moon Legends), (2) not 3+faction (e.g. Earth Reborn), (3) beyond most 8-year-olds (e.g. Mage Knight, Sakura Arms).

I sold Summoner Wars because my gaming group wants different flavors of "more" out of faction-based tactics experiences, not because it's bad.

Thank you for this post. Summoner Wars 2E has been sitting on my shelf of opportunity since it launched and I mentioned your description to my 7-year old which got her pretty interested. We played this weekend and at first she was a little hesitant because it's a "winning and losing game" (i.e. not cooperative), but after we finished I asked her what her favorite part was and she said "destroying your enemies".

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought Cartographers for myself and hoo boy, that game makes me feel like an idiot

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Poopy Palpy posted:

Thank you for this post. Summoner Wars 2E has been sitting on my shelf of opportunity since it launched and I mentioned your description to my 7-year old which got her pretty interested. We played this weekend and at first she was a little hesitant because it's a "winning and losing game" (i.e. not cooperative), but after we finished I asked her what her favorite part was and she said "destroying your enemies".

This is adorable. I also played summoner wars 2E for the first time this weekend. It was two 35 year old men, but we also enjoyed destroying our enemies.

On a more serious note, this game seems seriously excellent. Dead simple rules that take 10 minutes to learn, but the way summoning, movement, and combat interact with each other and with the grid based board is very interesting and I can see there being an enormous amount of depth.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I used to love playing Summoner Wars 1E, so I’m naturally interested to hear that there’s a 2E and it’s better. But I’ve become resigned to the fact that 1v1 games just don’t get to the table here. Nobody wants to bother with a game unless it’s an event with at least three players, unfortunately.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

NmareBfly posted:

I also got King's Dilemma from Santa, any comments on it? We're into the theming so I think it'll be an easy sell, but does it stand up to the time investment needed in the long term?

The ending (for my group) was kind of a big letdown, but session to session, it was pretty enjoyable and you'll get some fun stories out of it. We liked it enough that I backed the sequel on Kickstarter.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
tmb drop

schtick is having that draw deck and drawing/burning cards to create various pokeresque hands, which you can trade in to Do A Thing. dice help you stack the deck or manipulate draws

PVC playing card deck with foiled red/gold, different face cards for each suit :kiss:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you all for the tips re: Cascadia, Castles of Burgundy and others. I will review in due course!

On the other end of the spectrum (lol) my step brother came by and brought his massive unplayed trove of Star Wars: Imperial Assault. Honestly, after playing the tutorial and then three missions of a campaign I was incredibly underwhelmed - everything felt needlessly complex and that complexity did not seem to yield a more enjoyable or authentic experience. I would much rather be playing a two player RPG or somesuch, where every single choice wasn't hamstrung by hundreds of chits, miniatures and cards.

I'm a little sour because he's a huge Star Wars nerd, has spent £100's on all the IA bits and so I'm obliged to be at least somewhat complementary, which means I'm going to get roped into playing this every time we have the opportunity for a bigger game as he's got nobody else to play it with.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

PRADA SLUT posted:

tmb drop

schtick is having that draw deck and drawing/burning cards to create various pokeresque hands, which you can trade in to Do A Thing. dice help you stack the deck or manipulate draws

PVC playing card deck with foiled red/gold, different face cards for each suit :kiss:

Are the cards waterproof?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Azran posted:

Are the cards waterproof?

Polyvinyl chloride is the world's third-most widely produced synthetic polymer of plastic (after polyethylene and polypropylene).

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

NmareBfly posted:

I also got King's Dilemma from Santa, any comments on it? We're into the theming so I think it'll be an easy sell, but does it stand up to the time investment needed in the long term?

We're about what seems to be 5/7ths of the way through (although, you know, it's kind of hard to tell) and still having an absolute blast. The ending can't be anything but a let down, really, given how the real excitement of the game comes from you and your mates having heated debates about all sorts of deranged stuff, with you taking sides that you never normally would, or making bizarre deals for things you'd never thought you'd care about. The actual plot itself is ... I mean, it's there, and it's not bad, but... all of the best bits, are where we've made assumptions about things the plot hints at, gone ALL IN on deciding our prejudices must be true, and then finding it hilarious when the plot actually sorta kinda maybe goes slightly in that direction.

Sorry, that's kind of a word salad, I'm trying to describe it without giving away any spoilers, and it's really hard. But so like, imagine a situation where (this is not a spoiler or in the game) there's a frog infestation, and you have the option of culling and burning the frogs, or leaving the frogs alone. One of us might say something like "We believe that this is one frog, who has worked out how to time travel back to the same point in time, over and over again. We demand that no frog be harmed so we can use this power for the crown!" or something. Which is just, you know, almost like role-play nonsense speculation, there's nothing to suggest that its true, but it's the given reason why you'd want the 'Welfare' slider to go down. But then when the next story that comes up says "There's something strange about the frogs" it's hype.

In actuality in the plot it's going to turn out (again, this doesn't really happen I'm just making it up) that the frogs are strange because they're from another kingdom. But that little plot point giving credence to the time travel speculation is so good that the game then becomes "The time travelling frog game". Which is really fun. But obviously, it means when we get to the end of the game, it's not going to have a conclusion to our main plot threads.

I would say, you definitely get out what you put in. One of our group is really keen on the plot, and trying to speculate at genuinely what's going on, and he's really gung-ho about defending the realm. This has been a MASSIVE boon, because it means he's constantly updating us on what the various implications are for the plot reveals, reminding us of things that have come up before and how it all ties together. And it means that you can rely on there always being a conflict of "whats best for the kingdom" vs "whats best for the individual players at that time" and an argument for / against each. I think if you played instead like as if you're all negotiating for maximum 'score', it would very quickly devolve into a snooze fest.

We're all already talking about picking up the Queen's Dilemma, and it being over £100 isn't really even a sore point, because we've had so much fun it seems worth it. (And can happily all just contribute £20 or so each, since it is so unilateral an experience).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Received Artisans of Splendent Vale and Cat in the Box yesterday, super excited to try both of them out this Friday.

I've also got a board game thing coming up on Saturday, but one person doesn't speak english that well (his wife can translate). So I'll be tasked with finding games that are language independent, light on player discussion, and not difficult to explain through a third party. And look, Flamme Rouge is right there.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

tmb drop

This looks great, Too Many Bones is one of my favorite games and I love how creative they get with the expansion characters.

I'm dying to see what the Too Many Bones reskin to Elder Scrolls looks like, has there been any news on that yet?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Not enough to send an email to the list

I assume they’re full on predevelopment for it since TMB is finished once they ship unbreakable and I don’t think any Burncycle content is in development

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Received Artisans of Splendent Vale

it was only after I received Artisans did I learn it was Nikki Valens' new game (Arkham horror 3rd, Eldritch horror, MoM2E).

can't wait to try it

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

PerniciousKnid posted:

Draftosaurus is a "roll-and-write" but you put down adorable dinomeeples instead of writing. It's pretty good.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Wheeler W Wetherby posted:

Draftosaurus is a "roll-and-write" but you put down adorable dinomeeples instead of writing. It's pretty good.

Draftosaurus is a big hit in my house. Have two expansions.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah Draftosaurus is really fun. I also own both expansions but I've never played with them, I just wanted the dinomeeples :v:

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Chainclaw posted:

This looks great, Too Many Bones is one of my favorite games and I love how creative they get with the expansion characters.

I'm dying to see what the Too Many Bones reskin to Elder Scrolls looks like, has there been any news on that yet?

Do we know for sure that the CTG Elder Scrolls game is going to be a reimplementation of Too Many Bones?

I am a mostly-solo gamer and always see TMB high on lists of the best solo games, but I have always found the art style of the characters unappealing.

Maybe I could get past TMB’s theme if I ever got to actually try it in person.. but I love Elder Scrolls and would just as soon put the $ towards that game if its gameplay will give me the same experience as TMB.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Parker Lewis posted:

Maybe I could get past TMB’s theme if I ever got to actually try it in person..

Hah, I've owned Tragedy Looper twice and never gotten around to playing it for basically the same reason :v:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Parker Lewis posted:

Do we know for sure that the CTG Elder Scrolls game is going to be a reimplementation of Too Many Bones?

I am a mostly-solo gamer and always see TMB high on lists of the best solo games, but I have always found the art style of the characters unappealing.

Maybe I could get past TMB’s theme if I ever got to actually try it in person.. but I love Elder Scrolls and would just as soon put the $ towards that game if its gameplay will give me the same experience as TMB.

Looks like TMB mechanics on a larger hex arena, placement mats like Burncycle

https://gamefound.com/projects/chip-theory-games/the-elder-scrolls#/section/project-story

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Parker Lewis posted:

They specifically call it out on the landing page for the game, here:

https://chiptheorygames.com/the-elder-scrolls/

Second bullet point down:

I'm tentatively excited about that. If it's a unique game with the Too Many Bones mechanics, then awesome, that sounds amazing. If it's just a flat reskin with no mechanical changes (Star Trek Frontiers was that to Mage Knight, right?), I will be disappointed.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looks like TMB mechanics on a larger hex arena, placement mats like Burncycle

https://gamefound.com/projects/chip-theory-games/the-elder-scrolls#/section/project-story

OK this is great and basically exactly what I want, awesome.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Sounds close enough that I should take Too Many Bones off the wishlist because it’s not a cheap game/series in itself and I will probably need every last dollar of board gaming budget to pledge for the Skyrim game.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
I will need to remove myself from the internet to avoid all contact with that KS and avoid backing it for ludicrous $$$$.

Was recently gifted TMB after avoiding it for years because cost + plastic but drat it is fun, haven’t had a game hook my brain like that in awhile. Only gameplay problem I have had with it so far is the a lack of any kind of climax in Tyrant battles so far. Every one has been insanely tough (and then forget about trying it again with less loot, no scouting, more baddies) or dumb easy like nuking the boss in Boomer’s first turn. Just my experience so far but I’ve seen that echoed elsewhere.

Still annoyed with the waterproof schtick dragging the cost up on all of it. The chips and dice are one thing, but the neoprene and plastic cards are pointless and infer no benefit that cardboard mats and normal cards wouldn’t provide. Hard to look at it and compare the cost vs content to something like Jaws of the Lion or Spirit Island.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
they’re not using pvc because it’s waterproof, they’re using it because it’s a premium material that makes the tactile experience better. nobody actually thinks the material design goal is “being waterproof”

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Parker Lewis posted:

Sounds close enough that I should take Too Many Bones off the wishlist because it’s not a cheap game/series in itself and I will probably need every last dollar of board gaming budget to pledge for the Skyrim game.

Or at least wait until march to see how it looks.

Or if you’re fast, the first 5-10 backers can get the tactician tier — a copy of every new ctg game for life

fwiw I’ve backed four CTG kickstarters and they’ve delivered as promised, generally on-time-ish and they usually throw in some secret extras for free.

And they didn’t gently caress anyone when shipping went up over Burncycle. Or when they only charged $70 for the trove chest Kickstarter and then turned out they needed to make a giant particle board box instead of cardboard and they basically made no money on it (it’s like $140 retail now) instead of trying to hold pledges hostage and demand more.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 25, 2023

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

they’re not using pvc because it’s waterproof, they’re using it because it’s a premium material that makes the tactile experience better. nobody actually thinks the material design goal is “being waterproof”

Never said that was the design goal, but it’s literally something that CTG has advertised or promoted. Either way, it’s dumb and plastic cards are more expensive and feel worse than quality (linen finish or otherwise normal cards).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bodanarko posted:

Either way, it’s dumb and plastic cards are more expensive and feel worse than quality (linen finish or otherwise normal cards).

my guy do you have hands

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I love a lot of things about Too Many Bones, but one of my favorites is the rule that if there's any conflict or confusion with the rules, the group can pick whatever works best for the group. So many other games, like Oathsworn, are like "Pick whatever's worst for your group if there's a rules conflict"

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I enjoy TMB enough but I hate the small arena size for combat. There's almost no clever maneuvering you can do and most characters just end up standing in one spot punching each other (4x4 grid, enemies can move two spaces). That plus most of the cool abilities are once-per-combat. It's too bad I don't care for the Elder Scrolls theme at all because the new game will probably fix a lot of my issues with TMB.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PRADA SLUT posted:

Look at this weirdo who doesn't play games in the tub

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Also the cards just completely dissolve into pulp as soon as you touch them. Granted, I did play it in the bathtub.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bodanarko posted:

Either way, it’s dumb and plastic cards are more expensive and feel worse than quality (linen finish or otherwise normal cards).

I've given the Radlands synthetic cards to my MTG nerd friends and they really really like them, and they'd be the people I would want to comment on them

They're just super nice, and I'm pretty sure are also waterproof

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
the real Pro Gamer Move is to play tmb on the hexes from too many scrolls

or the buildings from Burncycle :getin:

Radioactive Toy posted:

I enjoy TMB enough but I hate the small arena size for combat. There's almost no clever maneuvering you can do and most characters just end up standing in one spot punching each other (4x4 grid, enemies can move two spaces). That plus most of the cool abilities are once-per-combat. It's too bad I don't care for the Elder Scrolls theme at all because the new game will probably fix a lot of my issues with TMB.

it was originally just going to be four-lane front/back row with no spacial component, which is why the grid ended up 4x4

check out this doo doo beta map

Infinitum posted:

I've given the Radlands synthetic cards to my MTG nerd friends and they really really like them, and they'd be the people I would want to comment on them

They're just super nice, and I'm pretty sure are also waterproof

radlands and TMB cards are essentially the same build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Man... just need to vent my frustrations here for a moment!

I love Ticket to Ride and have multiple variations. But their instructions are the worst and are like a wall of text to describe the small variations in the game. And with new people playing, I feel like it's constant reminder questions of "How many destination tickets can I pick up? How many do I have to keep? What is the range of destination ticket points? How many trains until the game ends? Does this game have the longest route bonus? Can we play double routes?"

So I just made a bunch of these handy 4x6 cards for each game that I am going to print out on photo paper and throw in each box.

Here is an album of them in case somebody wants to use them.
https://imgur.com/a/AzjySdn

There is
-USA
-Europe
-Rails and Sails: Great Lakes
-Rails and Sails: World
-India
-Switzerland
-New York / London / San Francisco

There are probably some typos and crudely cut out stuff from the instructions, but I'm not a perfectionist here.