Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

Here’s a radical idea, what if government retained some kind of capability for policy analysis and development within the public service :aaaaa:

Get a load of this guy lol

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Here’s a radical idea, what if government retained some kind of capability for policy analysis and development within the public service :aaaaa:

they do, it's just not very good

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Just not very good any more, neglecting or actively attacking it for over a quarter of a century will do that.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The other issue presently is that the public service at all levels just isn't that attractive as an employer for graduates. I think theres limited opportunity to enculture new grads into the APS or whatever and so what we are seeing is a stack of people who learn the ropes in the Big 4 so culturally it's a missed opportunity.

This could also be my biased reading but a lot of government agencies don't really give a poo poo about developing internal capability or holding onto the right people. You can't just parachute that kind of knowledge into a department (thus consultants) and it's a definite shortfall but we are starting to talk some pretty significant and systematic changes and as we all know the APS is definitely the picture of agility and forward-thinking.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Even if you’re desperate to be a public service careerist, the APS is where you go to pad your resume for a few years and then come back to a higher paying state role.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

It's highly desirable but even with a complete in house capability at some stage you still need to meet with industry stakeholders to work through the proposed measures/legislation. This is the case for all manner of legislation including social policy, health, education, taxation.

Although I think there should be strict confidentiality clauses with actual penalties, much like the official secrets act, for anyone who is given privileged access to government information that could be used to advantage the individual or their associates. I'm sure smaller companies that breach APS procurement guidelines get penalties including being denied the opportunity to bid on work.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

And someone that gets into the public service is going to atrophy their operational industry knowledge over time so in effect you will have staff and resources that will sit around waiting to do analysis that you want and when the time comes, they will recommend getting in industry consultants and will administrate the work.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh my loving god why are people still falling for 'Come visit me in X but stop by in Laos and pick me up this suitcase first please thanks' drug courier scam. :(

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

oh my loving god why are people still falling for 'Come visit me in X but stop by in Laos and pick me up this suitcase first please thanks' drug courier scam. :(

People in love do really stupid things, never going to change

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Synthbuttrange posted:

can you hold my suitcase for me?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
It's been awhile since I last asked, but what is the Greens position on the Voice?

The longer the debate goes on, the more it seem they are on a unity ticket with Dutton and Abbott?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/lidia-thorpe-given-free-rein-to-vote-against-voice-but-greens-likely-to-back-it-20230125-p5cfek.html

there's a piece you can read today on the latest there

a bit messy but certainly not any sort of unity ticket with dutton and abbott

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

EvilElmo posted:

It's been awhile since I last asked, but what is the Greens position on the Voice?

Bob Brown says its a bad tv show and should be cancelled

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

The longer the debate goes on, the more it seem they are on a unity ticket with Dutton and Abbott?

Lol

Imagine being this lazy a troll

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
You're the voice, try and understand it

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

You're the voice, try and understand it
When is Farnsey's next farewell tour scheduled?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Cartoon posted:

When is Farnsey's next farewell tour scheduled?

hosed up comment, still too soon

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Do I have any recourse to Karen-it-up over a bulk billing GP (3 of them at the same clinic) refusing to do a walk-in? It was an injury, not something we could have booked in advance. We got it taken care of by going to the hospital but I'm loving annoyed cos I feel like a goose going the hospital with something non lifethreatening and those lazy pricks wouldn't even loving look at it to say "yeah, it's bad enough we don't want to risk it".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Please don't harass the GP receptionists. They are under unbelievable sttress at the moment.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I should be clear, not to harass receptionists, to be honest the receptionist and nurse actually tried their best. I mean like is there any pointing trying to write to RACGP or AMA or somebody who might give a poo poo and tell the practice generally to, politely and formally, eat poo poo and stop adding pressure to the hospital system? Or is this all part of a strategic lying down over bulk billing rebates and no1curr

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I cut my knee and elbow open skateboarding, could see the fat tissue in my elbow and some bone in my knee even, and they wouldnt even do stitches. 'unless you are really worried about how your elbow looks when it heals just bandage and betadine, change it daily.'

when i said 'what about superglue? i heard thats a thing now'

'oh yeah you can do that. I'm not though.

this was after they made me stand outside in the cold/rain waiting for 30min because of covid capacity limits in their office.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

G-Spot Run posted:

Do I have any recourse to Karen-it-up over a bulk billing GP (3 of them at the same clinic) refusing to do a walk-in? It was an injury, not something we could have booked in advance. We got it taken care of by going to the hospital but I'm loving annoyed cos I feel like a goose going the hospital with something non lifethreatening and those lazy pricks wouldn't even loving look at it to say "yeah, it's bad enough we don't want to risk it".

Not really, no.

GPs have limited capacity to see people, usually keep one or two free slots for emergencies but if these are used up then they just can't fit you in.

In short they are private businesses and have no obligation to see you. If you had a life threatening injury they do have a responsibility to help but that's usually just stabilising you whilst the abulance is on the way.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Right, well, that sucks for the hospital system. At least the parking fee is still less than most private gaps I've ever paid.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Laserface posted:

I cut my knee and elbow open skateboarding

surely you're too old for such shenanigans

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
you're never too old to bomb hills high as poo poo

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Speaking of GPs, Labor are promising to overhaul Medicare. Are there any details out at the moment?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bucky Fullminster posted:

surely you're too old for such shenanigans

I am but it hasn't stopped me.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Speaking of GPs, Labor are promising to overhaul Medicare. Are there any details out at the moment?

The forum discussing access to mental healthcare is on Monday but I’m not really optimistic of any real change. There’s been significantly more pressure than I thought though, there has been more of a unified front even across professions which is a good sign.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are they going to make it so you don't have to pay full and get some back and instead just have to pay the remainder?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

MikeJF posted:

Are they going to make it so you don't have to pay full and get some back and instead just have to pay the remainder?

I always figured that was left that way as a gentle nudge to encourage bulk billing

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Megillah Gorilla posted:

something about using pharmacists as quick doctors so they can prescribe you antibiotics and other simple stuff you would go to the doctor for

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Great, just what we need more of - overprescription of antibiotics.

But, goddamn, I hope they make some real changes. Increase funding to mental health, finally include dental, staff shortages, all of it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

Right, well, that sucks for the hospital system. At least the parking fee is still less than most private gaps I've ever paid.

It's fine to attend the hospital for things that aren't life-threatening but do require treatment. Just don't call an ambulance to get there.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

freebooter posted:

It's fine to attend the hospital for things that aren't life-threatening but do require treatment. Just don't call an ambulance to get there.

My mates worked in ED a couple of times and has noticed a rise in people showing up to get something looked at coz they can't afford the GP's fee. It can be incredibly frustrating for the staff, but what can they do?

On a related note - I am a little frustrated by the lack of places for urgent care, coz there's been plenty of times something needs to be seen urgently, yet isn't actually an emergency.

E.g. cuts that are deep and bleeding lots, unbearably painful UTI or ear infection, been spewing for a couple of hours and can't keep water down. All these probably won't kill you if you have to wait hours at the ER, but it'd be nice if there was a place for stuff that is urgent but likely isn't going to kill you - so the ED can focus on actual emergencies.

Also, loads of these things will happen outside of office hours and are often easily seen to by GPs, I'm surprised the only options in my area are the night doctor and ED, nothing else.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

froglet posted:

My mates worked in ED a couple of times and has noticed a rise in people showing up to get something looked at coz they can't afford the GP's fee. It can be incredibly frustrating for the staff, but what can they do?

On a related note - I am a little frustrated by the lack of places for urgent care, coz there's been plenty of times something needs to be seen urgently, yet isn't actually an emergency.

E.g. cuts that are deep and bleeding lots, unbearably painful UTI or ear infection, been spewing for a couple of hours and can't keep water down. All these probably won't kill you if you have to wait hours at the ER, but it'd be nice if there was a place for stuff that is urgent but likely isn't going to kill you - so the ED can focus on actual emergencies.

Also, loads of these things will happen outside of office hours and are often easily seen to by GPs, I'm surprised the only options in my area are the night doctor and ED, nothing else.

I think that's what their plan with the pharmacists kinda is

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I think that is a good idea. When crook overseas, generally my first port of call has been a pharmacy - Europe, Africa or Asia you see a pharmacist, tell them the problem and they will give you some sort of horse pill for it or tell you to go see a doctor if they think it can't be solved with medication alone. In fact, a lot places, the most recognizable/useful for navigation landmark is the pharmacy. You say the closest pharmacy to where you want to go to the taxi driver or getting rough directions.

Something you think might be life threatening (eg malaria) you don't muck around, just go straight to the hospital.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Great, just what we need more of - overprescription of antibiotics.

This is a real problem, however. I think Doctors are more likely to push back on people demanding the pill they want to have compared to pharmacists.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Thailand is great not only can you walk into a pharmacy and get antibiotics over the counter, they gave us half a course and told us to just come back for some more if symptoms don’t clear up :stare:

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Laserface posted:

I cut my knee and elbow open skateboarding

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I think that's what their plan with the pharmacists kinda is

Yeah, and that's great! (Coz gosh I know I've been there and it is excruciating).

My one nitpick about it (as someone who went through a kafka-esque sequence of events involving nearly dying of a UTI, having recurrent problems, then spending the next 18 months trying to get to the bottom of the issue) is if there's any follow-up care or monitoring for people who are getting them dispensed frequently. Coz if someone's getting recurrent ones, getting it treated on an ad-hoc basis by pharmacists could potentially be harmful in the long run/make the problem worse (e.g. their variety of bacteria develops antibiotic resistance).

Like, is there a pathway for pharmacists to say "hey, look, I can see we've dispensed you antibiotics for this issue 4 times in the past 8 weeks. I can give you more now, but you need to see a doctor to see what's going on"? Or even "hey before you take this, can we take a urine sample to ensure you haven't got something nastier"? (Note: maybe there is, I don't know, I don't think pharmacists are allowed to do this in WA).

And yeah, while this is a huge improvement, there's a broader range of non-emergencies that ED is currently handling that I reckon an urgent care stream may be better equipped to handle. Yes, most people probably can wait in the ED a couple of hours with a bucket to spew up into while waiting to be seen, but it's probably not good for them or the people around them, especially if you've got something super catching like norovirus.

... And all of this is even more important now, in the age of antibiotic resistance and covid!

(... Don't take this as me disagreeing with you! I think we're furiously agreeing with each other. I just care about this stuff a lot and think it could be better!)

Oh btw, for anyone still reading that's based in WA - my friend who works in ED claims if you need something looked at urgently but it's not exactly an emergency (and you'd rather suffer at home as long as possible/not be stuck in the waiting room around the sick people for hours and hours), the best time to rock up at ED is ~3am. Apparently it tends to be relatively quiet around then (funny, that :v:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Don't talk to Bicycle NSW frankly they are loving crap for representing actual cyclists. They have consistently recommended reroutes that have been more dangerous esp for a casual cyclist.... like GWH as above.

Don’t suppose you’d care to elaborate on this at all? I mean they haven’t got back to me but they still look like a logical step, their Facebook presence seems very positive and they appear to have the ear of the minister at least