Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

meanolmrcloud posted:

on the children’s song front: we were surprised a few months ago when we discovered the 22 month old could count way past 10 and on to 20, something she absolutely picked up from super simple songs.

lol my 2 1/2 year old kid just started counting from 1-20 in spanish one day and we're like "thank god someone is educating this child because it wasn't us"

I mean she's not 100% she tends to skip 9 in both english and spanish and gets lost somewhere around 15 but hell, she can say quince! it's very cute.

we also had a minor blackout near us last night and we could see the repair guy in a cherry picker from our kitchen window, which became the dominant topic of conversation for the next 18 hours. All through breakfast this morning she was asking where the crane was, what happened to the crane? was it hiding or sleeping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
22 month old blasted our expectations out the water. We were searching for a video on YouTube and he started sounding out whatever letter we highlighted with the remote. Been pointing at this paper book and drawing with the magnet board, but nah it's the search interface that gets him past milestone. He pays attention because he knows that's the path to Yo Gabba Gabba.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Music is weird and embeds things into our brain completely differently than other forms of learning. I remember some story years ago about Gabby Gifford's recovery after she got shot in the head where she was nearly non-communicative in normal language but could sing songs.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

music and singing songs really helped with some of the funkier pronunciation issues i had when learning another language, particularly consonant clusters that are not natural to me as an english speaker. songs are fun.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

brugroffil posted:

Music is weird and embeds things into our brain completely differently than other forms of learning. I remember some story years ago about Gabby Gifford's recovery after she got shot in the head where she was nearly non-communicative in normal language but could sing songs.

I think you're confusing Gifford with Bumblebee.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I am currently tasked with keeping our newborn awake for her imminent newborn shoot. I'm jiggling her, I'm jostling her, I'm hassling her. My child will steal her sleep in the moments in between. She just shat in my lap as I typed this.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
She's ready to shitpost. Get her an account

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

I am currently tasked with keeping our newborn awake for her imminent newborn shoot. I'm jiggling her, I'm jostling her, I'm hassling her. My child will steal her sleep in the moments in between. She just shat in my lap as I typed this.

ours poo poo during the photoshoot on their blankets that they use to wrap the baby in because a diaper is too bulky for pictures. they said it happens all the time (i'm sure it does) and cleaned it up themselves.

hope your kid shits on their stuff.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Thread title

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
on a call with my GM, the last time I will see her before I go on parental leave

"I hope you have a happy, healthy and restful leave!"

The rest part was sure news to me.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

yeah the first time around I went on parental leave to be primary caretaker for a month and one of my coworkers (no kids) said "enjoy your break!" and I loled on camera

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I went on parental leave for 3 months with my first and then transferred to WFH so I never had to go back to the office and still haven't. I highly recommend it.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

this morning my son produced more poo poo than i thought possible. i went into his room and found a huge pile of toddler sludge poop on the floor, so i thought he had taken his diaper off and let her rip. but no! not so! his diaper was ALSO completely full poo poo. it took like half a pack of wipes to clean him off. and then bathtime. i really dont understand how those little bodies can hold so much poop in them.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Another Bill posted:

I went on parental leave for 3 months with my first and then transferred to WFH so I never had to go back to the office and still haven't. I highly recommend it.

I'm going from WFH to three months of parental leave, so it will be a less radical change. I bet they'll try and claw me back after my vacation though.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Woke Mind Virus posted:

ours poo poo during the photoshoot on their blankets that they use to wrap the baby in because a diaper is too bulky for pictures. they said it happens all the time (i'm sure it does) and cleaned it up themselves.

Newborn did not poo poo on anything in the studio. Toddler did not smash any priceless artifacts. Photoshoot wildly successful. Toddler wasn't really interacting or staying next to newborn for the shot so I pulled this galaxy brained dad move: Grabbed some poof snacks from diaper bag, give one to toddler, put other on top of posed newborn, toddler goes to newborn for poof, magical golden shot where the two babies are interacting.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBj9Qlpwjcs

Ok, so I'm mixing in some Mrs Rachel into my 23 month old's media diet. He's getting a lot more tv time now newborn is here. Only watched and reviewed 2 of the more recent videos so far. Based on the thumbnails there is a big jump in production value like this year or last. I think I've seen someone drop her name in this thread a while ago, but I can't remember. I can see the Yo Gabba Gabba influences, the non-sequiter cuts in between lessons are neat and the sessions are paced well. My favorite childrens media thing is when the video makes an active effort to competently repeat some of the songs or lessons at the middle and end of the episode. Each video is either a half hour or an hour long, they seemed themed on lessons and developmental stages, right now I picked out colors and so far it is cohesive. Mrs Rachel as a performer is fine, the camera is extremely close to her face, on purpose. Like half the appeal of these videos is that they show the mouth shapes and face muscle motions for sounds and phonics. It was too intense to be on the big screen, cellphone screen washed out all the back ground details, but having it on the computer monitor that can swing towards the highchair, yeah that's the goldylocks sweet spot. The songs arn't rhythmically different than the SuperSimpleSongs versions he is used to. So far I've been able to get the jist of each sing-along song and pick it up and sing a long on the second go around.

I've been pretty down on cocomelon, but after doing a close reading like last week I found out that my problem with it is that it was just low rent low production low effort. There were also some song lyric changes they did to some songs that I just could not abide. Mrs Rachel is very low production, but it is absolutely high effort.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Ms Rachel taught my delayed 2yo how to talk.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

kiddo came down with her first ear infection today, and vomited her entire dinner on the way to the doctor

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my parental leave was approved today, can't wait to start it next month :toot:

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Parental leave is a trip because I don't remember either of them really. Just a haze

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Four and a half! year old is ignoring us to read Captain Underpants during dinner. I'm so proud of our little nerdling.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Finished Kirby's Epic Yarn with/for my 2-year-old and she has requested a Mario game next. Which would be a good next one for me to show a 2-year-old? She's already seen Super Mario 3D World, which is how she knew to request Mario. I'd just use Odyssey but I'm worried the scope of the levels is too big. Something with a bunch of smaller levels would probably work better.

I filled the rest of the evening last night with Mario 3 ("Daddy's favorite game when he was a little boy") but even if 8-bit graphics manage to hold her attention all the way through it's not a very long game.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

loquacius posted:

Finished Kirby's Epic Yarn with/for my 2-year-old and she has requested a Mario game next. Which would be a good next one for me to show a 2-year-old? She's already seen Super Mario 3D World, which is how she knew to request Mario. I'd just use Odyssey but I'm worried the scope of the levels is too big. Something with a bunch of smaller levels would probably work better.

I filled the rest of the evening last night with Mario 3 ("Daddy's favorite game when he was a little boy") but even if 8-bit graphics manage to hold her attention all the way through it's not a very long game.

Collecting star bits is totally in the range of a toddler

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mario world, do all the levels including special world, then do more in fall mode

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

If you wanna go lower budget, I liked reading "Monster Loves You" to my 23 month old. It is extremely basic choose your own adventure story book. I let him waggle the mouse to pick the next little storylet.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

ikanreed posted:

Collecting star bits is totally in the range of a toddler

Yeah Galaxy 1 is a good choice, most stars are nice and short - plenty of natural points to end it. And echoing the starbits collection as p2

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Unfortunately my Wii and Wii U are both in storage -- Mario 3D World was emulated on Steam Deck, and Galaxy would probably have to be too, which would preclude star bit collection since I don't have the sensor bar set up. Galaxy still isn't a bad choice, though -- I'll try that out if she gets bored with 2D Marios. Thanks :tipshat:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I found my 8 year old working on something and it looked like he was trying to decode a cypher but then I realized he was working out my iPad PIN based on his observations so that he could bypass it and get more screentime.

apparently this morning he successfully hacked the mainframe. I'm not even that mad.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I found my 8 year old working on something and it looked like he was trying to decode a cypher but then I realized he was working out my iPad PIN based on his observations so that he could bypass it and get more screentime.

apparently this morning he successfully hacked the mainframe. I'm not even that mad.

Free the means of YouTube from the dadgeoisie

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah, lil jailbreaker breaking chains. Love to see it.

I did Linux at an Amazon kid tablet and it is stripped down to just have zoobooks pdfs on it. I'll put a copy of The Jakarta Method in the root folder in case I underestimate the lil guy.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

kiddo's ear infection is now a double ear infection, and my wife now has either a stomach bug or food poisoning :shepicide:

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

in the past three weeks we have got emails from our daughter’s first grade teacher that some kids in the class had strep throat, then some had hand foot and mouth, then on Friday a couple of kids were home with scarlet fever

don’t even want to send my kid to school what the hell we already went through everyone getting RSV in December

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Mine still haven't figured it out and it is insanely easy to guess.

The youngest did figure out apple's parental timer has a dumb "I just need one more minute" feature that works per app so he downloads a million games and when time ran out he just plays them one after the other for 1 minute. He can squeeze in like 45 extra minutes if he starts scraping the bottom of the barrel checking stock prices or adding huge numbers

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
little 14 month old wont stop moving or wriggling and singing at her is the only thing that stops her so i am basically trapped in a musical of my own making

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

Brandon Proust posted:

kiddo's ear infection is now a double ear infection, and my wife now has either a stomach bug or food poisoning :shepicide:

gotta get some of the pink stuff (amoxicillin) from a doctor if you haven’t already

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Vishass posted:

Mine still haven't figured it out and it is insanely easy to guess.

The youngest did figure out apple's parental timer has a dumb "I just need one more minute" feature that works per app so he downloads a million games and when time ran out he just plays them one after the other for 1 minute. He can squeeze in like 45 extra minutes if he starts scraping the bottom of the barrel checking stock prices or adding huge numbers

oh dang my kids found out about the 1 more minute feature but they definitely don't realize it's on a per-app basis. this is useful info.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

loquacius posted:

Mario adjacent, but the last 2.5d Kirby game Star Allies was the one that taught my youngest how to play video games that wasn't just tapping on poo poo. I don't think it has that nintendo style "I am a literal baby" difficulty option, but it's easy as poo poo and I think has co-op so player 2 can just gently caress around most of the time

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hm. I'll keep that in mind, thanks! I don't think my daughter has enough fine motor to manage playing herself just yet, though -- I'll come back to it in six months or so :)

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

A few months after my son was born, he got a gift of a little stuffy lamb. He really loved it, even as a little baby, and we also read that it’s good to have a ‘main’ stuffy or toy or whatever for comfort. He got pretty attached, and we realized that we would need a separate identical toy for emergencies or to be able to clean the toy or whatever. We had to troll Ebay globally to find an identical stuffy which was an expensive pain, but we found some replacements. Whenever we swapped it out with the replacement, it was a full Mission Impossible scheme so he wouldn’t realize that we had swapped it, and that there were two stuffies. We thought we were so slick, cause he never found out.
When he was like 2 years old, calmly asked for the other stuffy. We tried to play dumb, but it turned out he knew the whole time, there were like minor differences in the fabric that he could feel, and he knew and didn’t mind. Owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
All my problems start with underestimating my boy.