Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh nice I didn’t realise there was Goldman discussion happening in here. Anyone itt who hasn’t watched it definitely should. I think it’s even more morally dubious than Rehearsal* but it’s so well-made and absorbing that I honestly don’t care

* I mean I didn’t think Rehearsal was at all but y’know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tetramin posted:

The way this is put together feels slightly mean, but I’m not totally sure if I feel bad for him lmao.

I mentioned eariler how much it reminded me of a less mean Windy City Heat at times. I don't know how many people itt have seen it, but it's probably the closest thing to Paul T. Goldman ever made. Basically a handful of comedians in the early 00's convince this delusional, obnoxious man that he is starring in a hollywood movie and just relentlessly gently caress with him. it doesn't have that 2023 redemption arc to humanize him or anything. It's just straight making GBS threads on him to the point where I almost sort of feel bad for him but he's also a complete prick so it's kind of like, whatever. It's honestly one of the funniest most overlooked things. The whole thing is on YT fwiw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ancwTUkXyKk

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Paul T. Goldman city over here

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Astro7x posted:

Why am I just now hearing about The Curse?

https://www.sho.com/the-curse

"SHOWTIME has ordered the half-hour comedy series THE CURSE, to star Oscar® winner Emma Stone (La La Land, The Favourite, Birdman), who will also serve as an executive producer on the project under her Fruit Tree banner. The series will be directed by and co-star Nathan Fielder (Nathan for You, How To with John Wilson), who will also executive produce alongside brothers Josh and Benny Safdie (Uncut Gems) and their Elara Pictures banner. A24 will produce the series. Fielder co-created the series with Benny Safdie, who will also star. THE CURSE is a genre-bending scripted comedy that explores how an alleged curse disturbs the relationship of a newly married couple as they try to conceive a child while co-starring on their problematic new HGTV show."

Stone and Fielder are the Husband/Wife

I'm half-convinced that this is just a layer of a more elaborate and yet-to-be-revealed Nathan scheme, because Nathan writing himself as Emma Stone's husband is extremely something Nathan's character would do

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So (PTG episode 6 spoilers) what was everyone's take on Rocco saying he never said the "offer her $250 and see if she accepts it" thing? It's kinda the biggest loose thread. Was it just that the PIs followed 100% the wrong person the whole night and never noticed? I kinda think Rocco's denial was a little too complete, maybe he was involved in prostitution a little (or something else illegal) and didn't want to admit that on camera.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Swinger poo poo maybe.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

So (PTG episode 6 spoilers) what was everyone's take on Rocco saying he never said the "offer her $250 and see if she accepts it" thing? It's kinda the biggest loose thread. Was it just that the PIs followed 100% the wrong person the whole night and never noticed? I kinda think Rocco's denial was a little too complete, maybe he was involved in prostitution a little (or something else illegal) and didn't want to admit that on camera.

Was that the good PI or the bad PI? I saw that as either completely made up, or just a crass joke that Rocco actually did make.

What a wonderfully weird show. I do kind of want a second season that *just* sticks entirely to the truth. What was really going on with his second wife? Was he abusive or neglectful or was that just backstory to provide a more compelling story for his son?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

graventy posted:

Was that the good PI or the bad PI? I saw that as either completely made up, or just a crass joke that Rocco actually did make.

that was from the good PI, specifically the woman PI who didn't show her face. she was very certain it was Rocco/Cadillac since she had been watching him for a few days. my best guess to Baron's question is, Rocco probably said "offer 250 and see if she accepts it" about something but it had nothing to do with any of the insane psychotic poo poo Paul had convinced himself of, so when the show is asking in the context of Paul T. Finkelman's 2 decades of delusion, after doing a lengthy interview basically unravelling the truth behind how well this guy is, 'hey, did you say this?' the answer is a full and complete no because of course Rocco wasn't trying to sell his girlfriend for $250

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 24, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

graventy posted:

What a wonderfully weird show. I do kind of want a second season that *just* sticks entirely to the truth. What was really going on with his second wife? Was he abusive or neglectful or was that just backstory to provide a more compelling story for his son?

More PTG: His second wife was Audrey/Diana. I think the "violence and neglect" wasn't necessarily targeted violence towards his son, but yeah your dad is obsessively stalking and harassing his second wife and probably yelling a lot, and completely ignoring you, no wonder he wanted to live with the mom he barely knew on the other side of the country.

Aye Doc posted:

that was from the good PI, specifically the woman PI who didn't show her face. she was very certain it was Rocco/Cadillac since she had been watching him for a few days. my best guess to Baron's question is, Rocco probably said "offer 250 and see if she accepts it" about something but it had nothing to do with any of the insane psychotic poo poo Paul had convinced himself of, so when the show is asking in the context of Paul T. Finkelman's 2 decades of delusion, after doing a lengthy interview basically unravelling the truth behind how well this guy is, 'hey, did you say this?' the answer is a full and complete no because of course Rocco wasn't trying to sell his girlfriend for $250

I think he probably wouldn't have outright said "I've never been there, musta been someone else, not my kind of place" unless he knew exactly what it was and didn't want to talk about it. Maybe he got involved in drugs, maybe it was swinging with some money to spice it up? Maybe it was something else illegal and/or embarrassing but the PI completely misheard what he said?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I don't really doubt that Sleazy Florida Boat Man could have been involved in some banal illegal activity that he wouldn't want to talk about on camera, but even if the PI was completely right it could have been a million things. Maybe she had some cool speakers in the trunk of her car that the guy wanted to buy

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

More PTG: His second wife was Audrey/Diana. I think the "violence and neglect" wasn't necessarily targeted violence towards his son, but yeah your dad is obsessively stalking and harassing his second wife and probably yelling a lot, and completely ignoring you, no wonder he wanted to live with the mom he barely knew on the other side of the country.

I think he probably wouldn't have outright said "I've never been there, musta been someone else, not my kind of place" unless he knew exactly what it was and didn't want to talk about it. Maybe he got involved in drugs, maybe it was swinging with some money to spice it up? Maybe it was something else illegal and/or embarrassing but the PI completely misheard what he said?

i'd forgotten he actually denied even knowing of the place at all, too many insane revelations in that last episode. I'm still not sure I'd attribute anything illicit to Cadillac, likely just due to having a lot of sympathy/empathy for someone stuck in a life where some sicko is harassing and slandering and stalking them for years. I would like to find out more about what his deal really is

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aye Doc posted:

that was from the good PI, specifically the woman PI who didn't show her face.

What did she do that made her the good one? She seemed pretty useless and happy to keep feeding PTG garbage with no real basis just to keep him paying her until he got to be too much.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

EL BROMANCE posted:

What did she do that made her the good one? She seemed pretty useless and happy to keep feeding PTG garbage with no real basis just to keep him paying her until he got to be too much.

The other guy told her "how could you let this cash cow let go." Or something like that. Seems a bit sleazier.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I don't really doubt that Sleazy Florida Boat Man could have been involved in some banal illegal activity that he wouldn't want to talk about on camera, but even if the PI was completely right it could have been a million things. Maybe she had some cool speakers in the trunk of her car that the guy wanted to buy

Yeah that was my thought too. his very fast “never been there in my life” just didn’t seem truthful to me, but that doesn’t mean he’s big pimpin for the mob. I had a horrified laugh at the Chronicles of Johnny clip where the teenage girl describes being drugged and gang raped at a party. Why the gently caress did he write that.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

she and the male PI they talked to were both just doing their jobs - here's a client (and he's also a loving deranged nutjob) and he wants you to do this thing. and then she does the thing, gets a video of Audrey praying with some friends in the park, delivers that, and Paul is the one who takes the complete nothing in front of him and morphs it into garbage by reading into it. Paul wanted information and she got it for him, like a capable PI, he just had no attachment to reality to make him realize "ah poo poo this doesn't tell me anything"

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

cant cook creole bream posted:

The other guy told her "how could you let this cash cow let go." Or something like that. Seems a bit sleazier.

Yeah, we didn’t even see the “bad” one right?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Snowy posted:

Yeah, we didn’t even see the “bad” one right?

nope he was only referenced

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Aye Doc posted:

Paul wanted information and she got it for him, like a capable PI

I was a little suspicious that she might have made up the $250 thing to play into what he wanted to hear

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I do feel like the show kinda deliberately misrepresented the PIs throughout most of it to land some punchlines at the end, so I'm not gonna judge them too harshly

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ll have to go back to the episode but I thought it was the lady PI who said out loud about the suspicious nature of the meet up with the girls praying etc. I might be misremembering and it was all Paul though.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ll have to go back to the episode but I thought it was the lady PI who said out loud about the suspicious nature of the meet up with the girls praying etc. I might be misremembering and it was all Paul though.

went back and watched it now since the show fascinates me so:

-the PI, Jenn is introduced, says everything looks like Audrey's a stay at home mom on the surface. she does say some of her behavior is not like a stay at home mom (right after Paul says "going into driveways and then coming out the other side, coming down side streets at night and turning her lights off") and then Jenn says that's "not normal behavior for a SAH mom with nothing to hide"
-moves on to the meeting about the paperwork (dying all over again at "who needs to do paperwork for two and a half hours??? a person, that has, a LOT OF paperwork to do!"), it's all Paul talking until the reenactment
-"it appeared to be a prayer group" is what Jenn says, "it's illegal in the state of Florida to tape audio," and then it cuts to Paul instructing the girls as to "it's cut right around the pussy" and such

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Good job, thanks! My brain must’ve tied the two of them together as believing the same thing despite it was 90% Paul making the accusations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the editing is definitely done to make you feel that way, good shout to whoever pointed that out earlier in the thread. they definitely slip the "that's not normal behavior for a SAH mom" line in there to let you connect it to Paul's unhinged rant to come

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah the way the editing is done they kind of fall in with the psychic since it's setting up the line of people all profiting off of Paul, including the lawyer getting Paul to talk on his radio show. I want to say that Jenn had a line about how many hours of work it generated because they were chasing Audrey everywhere. That came off ominously in the moment.

I think with the last episode that they were pretty much cleared as just doing a job, since they clearly could have bled Paul dry if they'd wanted.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also that they clearly weren't willing to break the law (like recording private audio) unlike that other PI (who peeping-tom'ed them).

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yeah there was no reason for Paul to immediately presume the prayer group was doing some 14 yo 's idea of a sex workers prayer to steal money but he was so intent on destroying her life being goaded by the psychic that he just jumped to a conclusion he thought would make the best story / sense

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh god i forgot how shocking in the moment it was to realize he had a shock jock dj lawyer

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

His closest advisors were a shock jock dj lawyer, a private investigator who operated out of a barbecue restaurant (hooters?), a pet psychic... Dude really knew how to choose them

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I guess the ultimate impression is Paul is a gullible idiot who is extremely susceptible to being exploited by people who tell him what he wants to hear (they love him, they want to be his forever wife, they're going to help him get dirt on his ex, whatever) and also he's a piece of poo poo who will do terrible things when he's mad. They don't show him getting mad, but I bet when he does it's really over the top.

Tying back into him hearing what he wants to hear, think about how he reacted to the test audience. That lady was calling him a crazy and pathetic idiot but then she said it toughened him up and he was like "hey she thinks I'm tough, alright!"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh god i forgot how shocking in the moment it was to realize he had a shock jock dj lawyer

One of my favorite touches was when they wanted to, they did a really good job of casting accurate looking people, but for the lawyer they went with someone who actually looks like a TV show lawyer and not the real dude who looks nothing like you’d expect.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I mentioned eariler how much it reminded me of a less mean Windy City Heat at times. I don't know how many people itt have seen it, but it's probably the closest thing to Paul T. Goldman ever made. Basically a handful of comedians in the early 00's convince this delusional, obnoxious man that he is starring in a hollywood movie and just relentlessly gently caress with him. it doesn't have that 2023 redemption arc to humanize him or anything. It's just straight making GBS threads on him to the point where I almost sort of feel bad for him but he's also a complete prick so it's kind of like, whatever. It's honestly one of the funniest most overlooked things. The whole thing is on YT fwiw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ancwTUkXyKk
The only thing I remember about this is when they shot a scene where the dude got thrown into a dumpster with a bunch of allegedly real dog poop in it and kept making him do repeat takes while he tried to grin and bear it.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Windy City Heat is legendary and Perry is such an incredible childish moron rear end in a top hat. Anyone who hasn't watched WCH who likes this kinda stuff, get on it. It's hysterical

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I hope Paul gets a sense of closure from this series. It was hard to tell from the finale if he was finally "getting it" or not. I felt bad when he realized his premise for his extended universe books wasn't real. But, like, you can go ahead and keep writing books where you're the superhero fighting crime syndicates. Just stop basing your characters on real people.

Paul's twitter account only has 900 followers compared to the 150,000 it had when they filmed. I wonder if they shut it down for spamming at some point. He's constantly retweeting praise for the show, so at least it seems like he doesn't hate it. Or maybe he's just liking the attention.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Where did you see he had 150000 followers? I found two different Twitter accounts, one that joined in 2016 and one that joined in 2021 and both have less than thousand followers.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 25, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maybe it’s visible during an episode? They’ve killed a whole bunch of paid for accounts over the last few years and naturally he feels like a dude who’d buy followers.

E: Joe Mande, the comedian, is now down to 500k followers after famously buying 1M and actually booking work from it. He’s a capable and good writer so it’s deserved and I’m sure most of those 500k are legit these days. He doesn’t post anymore sadly.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 25, 2023

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

that scene was pre 2016, so it must have been nuked and recreated at some point

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Yeah it's in episode 5 when it shows him tweeting. He talked about how he constantly followed rando Twitter people to get follows back.

It also shows he has 32.7k tweets which he's nowhere near now, so maybe they nuked him.

edit: slow on the screenshot, but at least mine shows his j-date bookmark.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Ah, I guess they nuked his account at some point then. Thought the 2016 account might have been his original one, but it seems like the one that got remade in 2021 was the original. Found an Internet Archive link that shows him at 142237 followers (and he follows 48887 people, did he do anything else but browse twitter at that time?)

https://web.archive.org/web/20140111063625/https://twitter.com/paultgoldman

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I think he said he was manually following 1000 people a day lol

Paul was just way ahead of the curve with this stuff. spending 8 hours a day on facebook/twitter raising awareness about a deranged misconception of sex trafficking is now just called "my family in Florida"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

can't get out of my head that Paul is easily within Sacha Baron Cohen's acting range