Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't even think you can revive Cell Max because he's a robot with cells spray painted onto him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Time for 19 and 20 to shine.

Brain in a Jar is always a cool aesthetic, I'm all for this.

"Something something, he cloned his brain and put it in a different robot body."

Forgot that the OG villain Pilaf is literally Trunks' babysitter now too.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Nanigans posted:

They already found a way to bring Cell back, and Boo, Piccolo, Vegeta, Tenshinhan, Tao Pai Pai, 17, 18, Beerus, Hit, Broly and Jiren never left. The only major villains that are gone-gone are Zamasu and Moro and I doubt they'd bring either of them back.

Do people really care that much about Raditz and Nappa? Is it just Team Four Star poisoning your minds?

they have more potential for wacky comedy hijinks, due to their preexisting relationships with Goku and Vegeta and the amount of time that has passed since those two died. and wacky comedy hijinks are hardly just a TFS thing, Super's had plenty of episodes that boil down to "Gohan, Vegeta, or Piccolo being a dorky family man"

bringing Raditz and Nappa back and forcing them to be uncles to Goten and Trunks sounds way funnier than anything that could possibly be done with a revived Cell

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Vizuyos posted:

bringing Raditz and Nappa back and forcing them to be uncles to Goten and Trunks sounds way funnier than anything that could possibly be done with a revived Cell

okay but they can already do that with piccolo and vegeta, what do raditz or nappa actually bring to the table that isn't better accomplished with living characters?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like bits of TFS quite a bit but 100% of what they did with Gohan against Cell was weird as hell and soured me quite a bit on the whole thing.

The good outweighs the bad, but you can't use "we were young, dumb and immature" as an excuse for parts of Cell like you could the Saiyan arc.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TFS Perfect Cell was just a bad unfunny character in general, it's like they settled for him being a fightsexual fancy lad as his thing and then decided they didn't need to write him any jokes for him other than reminding you of that

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
TFS Cell is good actually

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Cell has mostly sucked poo poo in every form and media except for the odd video game where Dameon Clarke just goes ham.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
TFS Perfect Cell also have other jokes, like repeatedly failing to make the Cell Games arena.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vizuyos posted:

they have more potential for wacky comedy hijinks, due to their preexisting relationships with Goku and Vegeta and the amount of time that has passed since those two died. and wacky comedy hijinks are hardly just a TFS thing, Super's had plenty of episodes that boil down to "Gohan, Vegeta, or Piccolo being a dorky family man"

what fi they just don't bring any of them back instead of copying the same character interactions to the point of diminishing returns

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Beginning to think that perhaps there is some truth to people being obsessed with Raditz.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

what if they brought back raditz and nappa but they're working for pilaf now. and what if instead of an episode of television it's a story you can read on fanfiction.net

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

at some point we have to admit this franchise is dying without the Spice Boys having met Team Broly

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

No Dignity posted:

TFS Perfect Cell was just a bad unfunny character in general, it's like they settled for him being a fightsexual fancy lad as his thing and then decided they didn't need to write him any jokes for him other than reminding you of that

Him singing "My Way" as he died was pretty great though

Skeleton Mom posted:

what if they brought back raditz and nappa but they're working for pilaf now. and what if instead of an episode of television it's a story you can read on fanfiction.net

Honestly people stigmatize Fanfiction too much, sure most of it is garbage, but there's plenty of really good ones out there

projecthalaxy posted:

at some point we have to admit this franchise is dying without the Spice Boys having met Team Broly

Honestly now you got me thinking of a version of the movie Stepbrothers but with Z Broly and Super Broly

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly people stigmatize Fanfiction too much, sure most of it is garbage, but there's plenty of really good ones out there

It's less that fanfiction is inherently bad than it should stay fanfiction. Like, Raditz is a fanfic magnet because he's a blank slate. If he ever actually came back it would ruin it all.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

drrockso20 posted:

This is a funny comment in the context of posting about DBZ Abridged

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All of the old villains should move into the Capsule Corp compound as hired help.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I don't understand why they take so long to release steaming versions of anime movies. The reason people pirate this poo poo is because they take ages to turn it around. It's been out of theaters for months. I had COVID while my town was showing it, I just want to see my boy Piccolo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Flesnolk posted:

to be fair TFS is the only good version of the franchise

No Dignity posted:

Funky Valentine posted:

Cell has mostly sucked poo poo in every form and media except for the odd video game where Dameon Clarke just goes ham.

you’re all wrong and I hate you

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Cell was okay

Lotta cool moments but average overall

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

mycot posted:

It's less that fanfiction is inherently bad than it should stay fanfiction. Like, Raditz is a fanfic magnet because he's a blank slate. If he ever actually came back it would ruin it all.

exactly. if i want a world where raditz comes back to life or vegeta wins a consequential fight, i need only pore over the many quality fanworks already in existence. i don't even have to write one myself! i can even catch up on dragon ball multiverse if i'm feeling really desperate

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Blockhouse posted:

what fi they just don't bring any of them back instead of copying the same character interactions to the point of diminishing returns

that's exactly what the manga is doing right now by retreading Gohan's highschool adventures with Trunks

and it's still way better than the lovely Heeter story

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

it's been cool to see the big explosion of Dragon Ball fanworks on youtube and in art and so on. I'm glad it's giving a bunch of people a chance to cottage industry What Ifs for different kinds of media.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I thought the Heeter stuff was cool right up until it wasn't

same with Moro, really

what I'm saying is give it time, the Goten and Trunks story still has plenty of room for sharp lefts into shitsville

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I thought the Heeter stuff was cool right up until it wasn't

same with Moro, really

what I'm saying is give it time, the Goten and Trunks story still has plenty of room for sharp lefts into shitsville

I hate it but also yes, I have the exact same expectations. Every manga arc has started really well then nosedived into absolute poo poo and I see few reasons to think this will be any different.

On the other hand, those reasons are there. This is a very different arc from the norm, Goku and Vegeta aren't around and the tone is entirely comedic until we get to the proper Super Hero part. Maybe letting Toyotarou write a sillier story and, most importantly, not letting him use Goku to save the day will be the improvement he needed. We'll see.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
TFS Cells top bits were all in his base form IMO.

"Well, we've been calling them androids."

"Good for you, your wrong!"

Caidin fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 23, 2023

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

All of the old villains should move into the Capsule Corp compound as hired help.

Only after they've been turned into children, though.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Beginning to think that perhaps there is some truth to people being obsessed with Raditz.

It’s not just that we need canon SSJ3 Raditz, we also need USSJ Nappa. The most massive chunk of beefcake ever illustrated. The only character who can make that transformation work, because he simply turns into an immobile meat wall to tank for the rest of the fighters.

It’s criminal that they continue to deprive us of Wide Nappa

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Alt time-line where Raditz and them go off to find Broly instead of Kakarot because what difference could he have even made.

Turles Shows up at somepoint instead of the Saiyan Saga.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Mr.Acula posted:

Alt time-line where Raditz and them go off to find Broly instead of Kakarot because what difference could he have even made.

Turles Shows up at somepoint instead of the Saiyan Saga.

I mean, Paragus would probably just have ordered Broly to pop Vegeta's head off.

Fanfic related question, let's pretend that someone gets hold of the Dragon Balls and wishes the Saiyan's tails back.

Is Vegeta the only one who can control himself in Great Ape form? Like, is it unique to him, or could anyone learn with enough focus and training?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Monkey no gokui

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GreenMetalSun posted:

I mean, Paragus would probably just have ordered Broly to pop Vegeta's head off.

Fanfic related question, let's pretend that someone gets hold of the Dragon Balls and wishes the Saiyan's tails back.

Is Vegeta the only one who can control himself in Great Ape form? Like, is it unique to him, or could anyone learn with enough focus and training?

Honestly it seemed implicit that controlling your transformation is just a baseline Saiyan warrior thing since they’re not overly impressive to planets like Namek without the x10 kaiju mode boost. No one just thought to shove Goku in a secluded mountain range and yell at him to focus up, and Gohan was five. Plus it’s kinda implicit that Goku’s just always channeling the Great Ape power after drinking the poison water anyway, so he probably could control it now anyway.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GreenMetalSun posted:

It's something that can be learned. Vegeta isn't special there, he was just properly trained to do so.

Games show Nappa and King Vegeta also in full control of the form. It seems to be something taught to mid- and high-class Saiyans, as low-classes are consistently shown to not have control over the form (or at least, be incapable of speech), even trained warriors like Bardock.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Broli movie directly had trained Paragus telling that lower level guy not to be a dumbass and keep looking at the moon because he doesn't know how to control it yet.

Broli is the highest possible class and he can't either. It's learned behavior.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
we don't know how strong king vegeta was. give him a chance.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TheHan posted:

we don't know how strong king vegeta was. give him a chance.

I'm gonna hazard a guess at him being stronger than Nappa but below what his son was at by the time he reached Earth the first time

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I want to see how many Super Saiyans there are in universe 6 now. Imagine if the U7 Saiyans had learned how to go super through a physical process instead of extreme emotional grief.

Or even just things like basic ki control and sensing.

What a dumb species.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I want to see how many Super Saiyans there are in universe 6 now. Imagine if the U7 Saiyans had learned how to go super through a physical process instead of extreme emotional grief.

What a dumb species.

"Wait a minute, so you're telling me that if I actually PRACTICE fighting I'll get stronger? Bullshit, I was born at a 400 power level and I'll die at a 400 power level!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What a dumb species.

It's not just Saiyans. Outside of Earthlings, Namekians, and deities no other race in the galaxy has a concept of martial arts. Ki and training and advancement are foreign concepts to them. If you're born with a power level of 100,000 then you're just some freakishly strong mutant and no one can possibly touch that (see, for instance, the Ginyu Force and their attitude towards Goku.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Blockhouse posted:

It's not just Saiyans. Outside of Earthlings, Namekians, and deities no other race in the galaxy has a concept of martial arts. Ki and training and advancement are foreign concepts to them. If you're born with a power level of 100,000 then you're just some freakishly strong mutant and no one can possibly touch that (see, for instance, the Ginyu Force and their attitude towards Goku.)

This is pro-wrestling erasure.