Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I did one for a laugh on a warped neck wall hanger bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This is one I did with water slide decal paper and a laser printer.

Some no name jazz bass knock off body and a mighty mite fretless neck.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

This is one I did with water slide decal paper and a laser printer.

Some no name jazz bass knock off body and a mighty mite fretless neck.

That’s very cool.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Shugojin posted:

3 people are really loving stupid

I’m going through the thread again and maybe I don’t know how Reverb works but did this guy make it look slightly less fake over the past few years and then slashed the price? He took out the middle pickup and swapped the neck with something that looks more like a Telecaster neck?

Edit: Oh weird the seller on the listing posted here in 2018 is a different seller name, but it has branding of the old seller that you can see in the old photo compared to the headstock of the new photo.

URL from the OP for the lazy:
https://reverb.com/item/7497260-jimmy-page-dragon-telecaster-dragoncaster-tribute-custom-licensed-replica-w-hard-case

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 6, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The grain of the wood looks different, and one of them has some blue behind the bridge, so I'm guessing it's at least two different guitars

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

BonHair posted:

The grain of the wood looks different, and one of them has some blue behind the bridge, so I'm guessing it's at least two different guitars

They had one other guitar which was a SRV one and the pictures had multiple different necks on the same listing I think these two listings have just been evolving slowly over the years after this person tried to rebrand. It was just weird because normally if you go through the thread the reverb links are all dead but this person is still trying to counterfeit these two guitars with the same listing. I’m assuming the fact that they’re still up means he’s never sold one.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think with the newer one the pickguard is just a clear plastic guard with tin foil glued to the back of it lol

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
The listing is pretty funny. That guy will slap that paint job on pretty much anything you want.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

mweber posted:

The listing is pretty funny. That guy will slap that paint job on pretty much anything you want.

It’d be fun to buy a Ali express tele and slap one of those decals on it.

Edit: That’s still at least like 100 bucks though. I’m not paying 1500 dollars.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 6, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh nice, intersectionality of my interests:

https://twitter.com/ThreatNotation/status/1614409426735071234

If you're not already following Threatening Music Notation, you should. They find some gold.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

"There´s nothing wrong with straight frets per se, but if you want as close to perfect as possible intonated guitar you should go for the curved TT-frets"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

"There´s nothing wrong with straight frets per se, but if you want as close to perfect as possible intonated guitar you should go for the curved TT-frets"

Hasn’t been the same since the jab

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Who is true temperament for?

Afaik you need to adjust your tuner as it’s not A=440 for each note? So in a band situation everyone else needs to adjust to you? And what about alternate tunings? That would throw everything off, correct?

I get headless for the weight, and fanned fret for better string tension, but TT seems much more gimmicky than the other “new” gt features. Like it’s got a use case of “root position chords” and nothing else, which seems like I must be thinking of it wrong.

And where does evertune fit in here? Is that just like TT but only the nut and bridge (or just nut?)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Evertune is just a weird trem that doesn't go out of tune as easily, it has nothing to do with temperament. Is the wiggly frets things a temperament thing? I thought it was just compensating for the fact that you have to bend strings (towards the fretboard) in order to feet anything, so this lets you fret in even temperament more accurately across the neck.

edit who knew Willy was playing with true tune this whole time?

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 24, 2023

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Baron von Eevl posted:

Evertune is just a weird trem that doesn't go out of tune as easily, it has nothing to do with temperament. Is the wiggly frets things a temperament thing? I thought it was just compensating for the fact that you have to bend strings (towards the fretboard) in order to feet anything, so this lets you fret in even temperament more accurately across the neck.

edit who knew Willy was playing with true tune this whole time?

Nice scalloping there yngwie!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Slothful Bong posted:

Afaik you need to adjust your tuner as it’s not A=440 for each note? So in a band situation everyone else needs to adjust to you? And what about alternate tunings? That would throw everything off, correct?

I get headless for the weight, and fanned fret for better string tension, but TT seems much more gimmicky than the other “new” gt features. Like it’s got a use case of “root position chords” and nothing else, which seems like I must be thinking of it wrong.

And where does evertune fit in here? Is that just like TT but only the nut and bridge (or just nut?)

As i understand, true temperament is the idea that intervals sound better when they're not exactly the same sonic distance apart. This is tied to the key you're playing in though, so in C major, maybe the third should be sightly sharp and so on. But this means that your E is slightly sharp always, which might not work for, say D major, because the second should be slightly flat.
You see it in baroque music, where everything is more or less in C. You need to retune you harpsichord if you want to play something contemporary in G# though.

Equal temperament, which is what everyone normally uses, is basically just a compromise between all the keys, ending up with everything sounding slightly off.

I guess true temperament works for metal though, since everything is in the key of whatever the lowest open string is...

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
True temperment is probably for guitarists who play with other instruments, like piano, brass sections, etc.

The problem with guitar is that the fretboard is an inherently imperfect design. Even if you intonate a guitar, you can only really ensure that the open string and 12th fret octave notes are 100% in tune. Everything else is just kind of close enough for government work. It's also a lot easier to manufacture and hammer in straight frets than weird wavy ones that are uniquely shaped for each slot, and people who play guitar are mostly fine with that.

True temperment ensures that every single note on the fretboard is as perfectly mathematically in tune as possible. It might look annoying and might make bending a total PITA but if you're just playing straight fretted notes, it will help each individual note you play be more in tune with "true" tuning.

Having said that, if you're only going to play straightforward fretted notes and demand that they're all 1000% perfectly in tune, you might as well just play classical nylon string guitar or keyboard or something. Bending and vibrato (well, perpendicular-to-the-floor vibrato anyway, as opposed to the parallel-with-the-floor classical style vibrato) are such a huge part of the electric guitar's sound and identity and I can't see this bendy fret nonsense helping with that part of playing at all. Basically, for electric guitar, true temperment really only just trades one set of compromises for another.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 24, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
As far as I can tell "true temperament" has nothing to do with temperament, it's just more accurate intonation. "True" isn't a temperament the way even or well or Pythagorean are.

The problem with fretted instruments is you have to push the string down against the fretboard, which adds tension and increases the pitch. With fretless lute-like instruments like the viola family you can compensate by putting your finger in a lightly different place, there isn't a metal fret there defining exactly where it'll be pinched off.

Even temperament has the notes divided evenly across the octave. This means that the intervals between notes are consistent, relatively speaking. Even tempered instruments can comfortably play in any key for this reason, the gap between a and b is the same as the gap between eb and f.

There are some issues with this. For one thing, the natural harmonics in a note are not exactly lined up. The second harmonic of A4 (440hz) is 1320hz. E6, which is the fifth an octave up, is 1318.51hz. The difference for non-octave harmonics gets more pronounced the higher you go, and playing wider or more rich chords introduces a bunch of close conflicting frequencies.

edit the other reason I think it's kind of silly is the pitch of a string changes after you strike it, there harder you strum or pick the more sharp the note will sound, with it eventually dropping as it rings out. If you're going to be trem picking you should probably tune down slightly to compensate.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 24, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Practice Bass in the car eh?
https://youtu.be/RiFlpIN6MJ8

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
All this reminds me of an interview with Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, where Judah Bauer points out that the poo poo Zim-Gar guitar Jon plays is unable to be intonated, so that Judah had to bend all his notes when playing in the upper frets to stay in tune with Jon.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Slothful Bong posted:

Yeah it seems like you wouldn't be able to play along with other instruments unless they were set up the same way. You're going to be out of tune with them on some notes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Actuary X posted:

Yeah it seems like you wouldn't be able to play along with other instruments unless they were set up the same way. You're going to be out of tune with them on some notes.

Again, I think the point of wiggly frets is just to be closer to even temperament, basically to counteract the problems inherent to the way guitars are built. It makes you less out of tune with a piano, effectively.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Okay let’s talk about this a bit. Based on what I’m reading, the guitar will be more in tune with itself and the hypothetically perfectly equal temperament due to the issues of fretboard intonation, but it’s still a system based on compromises. You can’t use a regular tuner according to the site because your notes are tuned ever so sharp or flat compared to normal and not every tuner lets you tune off by 2-4 cents. Their faq even mentions it’d be ever so slightly out (but not so much we’d really care) with other instruments and considering that pianos for example are stretch tuned and have a +35 cent stretch from lowest to highest note that makes sense to me, we make tuning compromises all the time. The general issue this is solving is to make most every note and chord slightly more equal than it was, which if you play in a lot of different keys with lots of different chord shapes might be advantageous. It reminds me a lot of James Taylor’s fix for the chords/capo positions he uses where some notes are flattened more than others.

Is it necessary? Well I don’t know, a lot of musicians had to make similar compromises with 3 barrel saddles on teles where one note might be tuned flat to let the other be more in tune. I think the amount of out of tune we deal with is already small enough for me but maybe it isn’t for others.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Okay I think I get it now, it’s more about each individual note on the fretboard being aligned to a ground truth frequency, so for solo stuff or things with pianos etc you’ll get better intonation.

But for a rock band situation, it seems like everyone would need TT otherwise you’d get potentially noticeable pitch differences, and it makes stuff like open or drop tunings less useable as the frets seem to be designed for a single tuning.

I remember recording solo acoustic stuff back in the day and needing to sweeten my tuning based on the chords I was playing, and a few times where I’d have to slightly retune for certain sections. If that was still my area, I could see TT being a better sell.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I mean like we’re talking cents, if you play two of the same notes at different cents by themselves you might notice they are different but in context with a band hardly anybody might notice it being that different. Like I want to see this fretboard on a guitar with uncompensated tele 3 barrel saddles and a chorus pedal just because okay at what point do we just learn to live with pitch being off ever so slightly. What about guitar doubles and you fret harder in one take? It’s just kind of taking it to an extreme we don’t always need to worry about I think.

E: also you missed my point, this would be out of tune with a piano due to stretch tuning. Unless you’re playing with a stage grand piano with stretch minimized. Like it would sound okay but again intonation isn’t a problem just for guitar, every instrument has to compensate in places.

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 25, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
This is almost the guitar Bach would loved most because it's absurd and extremely fussy, but the fact that it's not in well temperament would have turned him off entirely.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Weird BIAS posted:

I mean like we’re talking cents, if you play two of the same notes at different cents by themselves you might notice they are different but in context with a band hardly anybody might notice it being that different. Like I want to see this fretboard on a guitar with uncompensated tele 3 barrel saddles and a chorus pedal just because okay at what point do we just learn to live with pitch being off ever so slightly. What about guitar doubles and you fret harder in one take? It’s just kind of taking it to an extreme we don’t always need to worry about I think.
Yes, this is the stupid music thread after all. It’s a quest for an impossible perfection that, even if it could be obtained, would be unnecessary and nearly or completely imperceptible. Really it’s just another permutation of the audiophile/tone chaser disease.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, as mentioned the squiggly frets are just an attempt to shoehorn the guitar into having standard equal temperament. I definitely got confused when I first heard about it because I learned the guitar intonation was "out of tune" the same time I learned about just intonation, etc.

I always liked this demo of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8EjCTb88oA

It's definitely noticeable with barre chords and those harmonics he's doing, but having to tune the open strings differently so must be annoying, unless you program your tuner for it, I guess. Also yeah, I think it only works perfectly for E standard (unless you had it made for something else.) Also IMO the guitar loses a bit of the hosed up sound that makes it interesting, but it's probably what some people want in certain contexts. I remember reading about how EVH got used to bending certain notes on open chords just so, because the intonation being slightly off bugged the heck out of him, which over time he just adapted as part of his style.

Evertunes are some weird magic. I have an Evertune that I got a couple years ago and have played the hell out of and never changed the strings, but it's still 100% perfectly in tune, I've only adjusted it a few cents this way or that a couple times.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Stupid Music poo poo from my own household: I 'moved' yesterday, down the hall to the master bedroom so my roommates (a couple) can have two rooms - it's a long story.

The SMS here is that I'm somehow missing two XLR cables for my monitors. I have everything else, except this pair of short Yorkville cables that run from my TC Electronic Level Pilot, to my subwoofer, and then to my right monitor.

I'm absolutely bewildered by this. I just moved forty feet down the hall, and I was using my monitors right up until the moment I tore everything down.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Mister Speaker posted:

Stupid Music poo poo from my own household: I 'moved' yesterday, down the hall to the master bedroom so my roommates (a couple) can have two rooms - it's a long story.

The SMS here is that I'm somehow missing two XLR cables for my monitors. I have everything else, except this pair of short Yorkville cables that run from my TC Electronic Level Pilot, to my subwoofer, and then to my right monitor.

I'm absolutely bewildered by this. I just moved forty feet down the hall, and I was using my monitors right up until the moment I tore everything down.

The cables are inside an instrument case/gig bag, most likely bass. You put them in there to move things more efficiently, and then got caught up in moving everything else and making sure you had a bed to sleep on etc.

Check the case.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
No the XLR cables have gone to that dimension where they will stay until you give up and buy new ones. Then they will reappear.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
They're right there, even I can see them. No, not THERE, to the left about a foot, under there.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I saw someone mention headless guitars and just have a general question. Why dont Gibson just make a headless SG to fix neck dive

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"Why doesn't Gibson just [simple solution to an obvious issue]" is like their motto

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

I saw someone mention headless guitars and just have a general question. Why dont Gibson just make a headless SG to fix neck dive

The kind of people that buy Gibsons are the same kind of people that think a headless guitar is an abomination.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Buschmaki posted:

I'm like 98% sure this video came from this thread, but I feel like it's always going to be welcome here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ7MvSEZFeM

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Err are the cables oxygen-free? Cause if not you did yourself a favour :smug:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

Gibson famously doesn't want to change the joint between the neck and the head because that wouldn't be authentic, even though that joint is structurally crap and literally snaps often under the pressure of strings. Going headless is just a nonstarter for them and their purist boomer consumer base.

This is incidentally why the best Gibson is an ESP/LTD

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think they've started to talk themselves into believing that the guitar sounds better after a headstock repair, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tone repair job. Also tone glue.