Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, I've really only heard of videogames and finance working on full on 'fire the bottom 5% of employees!' models, with videogames because they work people to the point of burnout and always have a pool of passionate new hires to exploit, with finance because they're all sociopaths.

with finance and sales at least it’s “fairer” in that there is one number to point to so you know to look for a new job if you’re coming in well under quota or however the company calculated that

the insidious thing about stack ranking outside of sales is that a lot of it is politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

I want that to be built and to attract all manner of rich people.

And then I want terrorists to sink it on a transatlantic cruise.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
They're called freedom fighters.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

chris roberts doing sea boats now?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I thought these products were supposed to be ai generated until I realized they were real things no one wants

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BattleMaster posted:

I thought these products were supposed to be ai generated until I realized they were real things no one wants

the biggest problem with the world now is there isn't enough mindless consumerism yet

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

elon musk please have tesla acquire sprungocorp and their amazing products 🙏🙏🙏

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BattleMaster posted:

elon musk please have tesla acquire sprungocorp and their amazing products 🙏🙏🙏

I don't even know how I'm supposed to stick my dick in those 1/5 stars

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah I guess this is what I'm getting at. Compared to the "for my own peace of mind I need you to verify your genitals with the armed guard every time you use a bathroom" poo poo I'm used to that's... not good or anything but... less bad at least?? :sigh:

I mean, it's roughly similar to my attitude towards Catholics and their beliefs about Jesus and transubstantiation. Still love my deeply catholic dad something fierce, and I'll still go to mass with him every time he asks and I'll just stand aside for communion. I wouldn't count it as bad (and nor does he), though I do acknowledge that there is more than a little difference in the persecution of transgender folk vs Catholics in the US.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

BattleMaster posted:

i mean i want one just not enough to pay for it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Wouldn't even be a crime if it happened in international waters

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If all your productive employees aren't top-notch, you have to fire your HR department because they're obviously poo poo at hiring :mrgw:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

no idea what this is but it sounds evil

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If all your productive employees aren't top-notch, you have to fire your HR department because they're obviously poo poo at hiring :mrgw:

lol the HR department is there to deflect any blame

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

quote:

To date, the company has made nine different models of the same basic design, and it has sold more than 350,000 of them worldwide, making the Pocket Operator one of the most popular synthesizers in history.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/25/magazine/electronic-music-synthesizers.html

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Finnish edition of Donald Duck has had a weekly circulation high of about that. I'd say it's still fair to say, on a global scale, no-one wants to read Donald Duck in Finnish.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Tsunami flipping it upside down.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I heard the GOP house is going to start looking into COVID Business Benefit fraud- I’m sure those wealthy criminals will see justice

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BattleMaster posted:

https://twitter.com/joakimjansson/status/1614701473694187520

lower case only capital letters too strong

our posts were trendy all this time

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The Finnish edition of Donald Duck has had a weekly circulation high of about that. I'd say it's still fair to say, on a global scale, no-one wants to read Donald Duck in Finnish.

They're popular in their respective market categories, yes

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
The HR manager at my work mentioned offhand that she had a heart today and I nearly laughed

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mawarannahr posted:

no idea what this is but it sounds evil

I think they're tax credits for not firing people during the pandemic?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Abongination posted:

The HR manager at my work mentioned offhand that she had a heart today and I nearly laughed

Keep it in a jar on my desk, etc

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dahir-Insaatisation of real life cannot be stopped.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

A storm would do that, no need for terrorists.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DACK FAYDEN posted:

https://twitter.com/joakimjansson/status/1614701473694187520

lower case only capital letters too strong

our posts were trendy all this time

anarchist teenager engineering

cat botherer posted:

reverse ark

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

it says capital letters right there. not getting involved with any of that

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

cat botherer posted:

A heroic storm.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A freedom storm

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kamikaze if you ask me

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A stochastic wave

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
idk folks, in order for the rich people yacht city to be a bad idea there'd have to be a bunch of weird weather or some sort of trend towards unstable extremes in the coming decades

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Coolness Averted posted:

idk folks, in order for the rich people yacht city to be a good idea there'd have to be a bunch of weird weather or some sort of trend towards unstable extremes in the coming decades

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Related to dumb fucks not understanding the ocean, The Ocean Cleanup Project (which has raised > $100 million) wants to scoop up plastic in the open ocean with basically these big booms with filter things attached. You have probably heard glowing stories about this. They claim it can be cost-effective by collecting and recycling the extremely degraded plastic it gets. It is beloved by rich bazingas because it sounds like a way we can keep doing what we are doing and magic the problems away with technology.

However,
1. The ocean is really big, and even the full-scale setups they are proposing wouldn't make any difference.
2. The ocean is extremely violent and corrosive.
3. Because of (2), the plastic is all in the form of microplastics, distributed in the first 100m of the water column. It can't collect below the first 2 meters.
4. Also because of (2), even small test setups in calm waters off the Netherlands get blown the gently caress apart at the first storm. Full-scale setups would be subjected to much greater forces. It turns out marine engineering is hard and there's a reason why it is its own discipline, but lol at that mattering. So far, the project has generated much more marine plastic pollution than it has collected.
4. It also scoops up any ocean life in the first 2m.

https://deepseanews.com/2016/06/the-ocean-cleanup-deployed-a-prototype-and-i-honestly-have-a-lot-of-questions/

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

cat botherer posted:

Related to dumb fucks not understanding the ocean, The Ocean Cleanup Project (which has raised > $100 million) wants to scoop up plastic in the open ocean with basically these big booms with filter things attached. You have probably heard glowing stories about this. They claim it can be cost-effective by collecting and recycling the extremely degraded plastic it gets. It is beloved by rich bazingas because it sounds like a way we can keep doing what we are doing and magic the problems away with technology.

However,
1. The ocean is really big, and even the full-scale setups they are proposing wouldn't make any difference.
2. The ocean is extremely violent and corrosive.
3. Because of (2), the plastic is all in the form of microplastics, distributed in the first 100m of the water column. It can't collect below the first 2 meters.
4. Also because of (2), even small test setups in calm waters off the Netherlands get blown the gently caress apart at the first storm. Full-scale setups would be subjected to much greater forces. It turns out marine engineering is hard and there's a reason why it is its own discipline, but lol at that mattering. So far, the project has generated much more marine plastic pollution than it has collected.
4. It also scoops up any ocean life in the first 2m.

https://deepseanews.com/2016/06/the-ocean-cleanup-deployed-a-prototype-and-i-honestly-have-a-lot-of-questions/

li'l lisa's ocean cleanup project

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cat botherer posted:

So far, the project has generated much more marine plastic pollution than it has collected.

Where'd you see that, cuz supposedly they've collected 100 metric tons.

Still a real dumb idea though.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I also really like how reading the wiki page you see how the design deflated bit by bit from something he pulled out of his rear end for a TED talk that was supposed to be 100km wide and wind-and-solar powered and fully automated, into the latest iteration which is "two fully manned normal-rear end boats tow around a 0.8km boom real slowly and then occasionally another boat takes the garbage that it collects away"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wikipedia posted:

The Interceptor project is similar to a smaller-scale local project called Mr. Trash Wheel developed in Maryland's Baltimore harbor.

...what

Holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
The good news is that by the time we develop a scalable Ocean Seive for plastic any potential bycatch will have been long extinct! :thumbsup: