Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Good thread on a detail that makes the already-incredibly-weird Ghislaine Maxwell interview even weirder:

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1617893519250821122?s=46&t=Lry0UaN1mYMeR59xZQXskw

It should go in the Epstein thread but whatever The dubious Zelig behind Talk TV's Ghislaine Maxwell interview

quote:

Barak is a prolific networker – at least, that's the polite term. She appears to be cosy with the Clintons, has done Mugabe and Mandela, and was tight with Benazir Bhutto. (lol)
So we have Talk TV airing an interview enabled by Ghislaine Maxwell’s brother Kevin and conducted by Daphne Barak, who has been an acquaintance/friend of Maxwell’s since at least 1992, and whose cousin was a friend and business associate of Jeffrey Epstein, accused of participating in his crime.

One crack ping after another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Also, the punishment for not-Musk for murdering someone, and the rest of the crew being complicit in her ratfucking and coverup, isn't being blown up by there own bad decisions and hubris in the solid hydrogen explosion... it's just being laughed at on twitter for blowing up the mona lisa, and not being part of the rich boys club anymore.
Don't forget no longer being rich or influential, and never being ever able to get insurance or a line of credit on anything ever again because you burned the Mona Lisa with an override switch that you fitted explicitly against the terms of the lease.

That's far worse a life outcome for a billionaire influencer than just getting blown up in a hydrogen explosion.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
we should burn the mona lisa to be honest

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I wrote about finding Glass Onion's criticism of billionaires a little wooly back in December when it came out. Still a solid film though.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I saw Glass Onion and am now 2/2 on movies that feature the Mona Lisa being burned, unless there are more beyond this and Equilibrium.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

if this is for dealing with people with odour problems it's not very subtle imo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
mind i worked with a bloke once who was normal until he had a phone receiver in his hand and then would start bellowing at a volume that might be required to talk to the person on the other end without the existence of telecoms and i'd have liked to have put him in one of those

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/TheMeetingPodCo/status/1617813585555763200

So hyped for when we can seal them from the outside and I can just order a preboxed officeperson to be dropped in by bridge crane until it runs out of water or sandwiches or whatever #madeinbritain

To be honest, after spending the last 3 or so years working from home, i'd be happy climbing into one of these every time I have to go into the office now.

I'm completely over open-plan offices and being in a room full of people with banal chat distracting me from my work or a call I'm on where I'm struggling to hear the other person through the lovely headset I've been provided.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like there is a solution to that and it is "rooms" rather than "fill your office with shipping containers to look industrial"

Like you could just put some studs up and some plasterboard, it's not hard.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like there is a solution to that and it is "rooms" rather than "fill your office with shipping containers to look industrial"

Yeah but they're not gonna do that probably, so I'd rather this fake plastic office than the lovely little telephone boxes that suffocate you

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

crispix posted:

mind i worked with a bloke once who was normal until he had a phone receiver in his hand and then would start bellowing at a volume that might be required to talk to the person on the other end without the existence of telecoms and i'd have liked to have put him in one of those

Jerusalem posted:

Every so often I find myself remembering this scene and it just makes my day :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzxEScuRu4A

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

If I'd realised that Twin Peaks was a comedy I might have watched it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Booming Brexit Business Britain!!!

https://twitter.com/simoncalder/status/1617870022432690178?s=46&t=7wgb9SigqDT60W-8eg84bw

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kin posted:

To be honest, after spending the last 3 or so years working from home, i'd be happy climbing into one of these every time I have to go into the office now.

I'm completely over open-plan offices and being in a room full of people with banal chat distracting me from my work or a call I'm on where I'm struggling to hear the other person through the lovely headset I've been provided.

I'm convinced open-plan offices only exist so that everyone feels too exposed to skive off

Mebh
May 10, 2010

When i lived and worked in Spain we had a critical shortage of meeting rooms so they were looking at paying 20 grand a pop for meeting "pods" with no windows or ventilation that were 5 foot high, shaped like a giant pill and would have smelled like farts forever.

Its absolutely universal the CEO class wanting to make these suffocation boxes to solve their poo poo open plan office designs.

I do not miss offices at all. Or people.

I like my job though as I just play with toys all day and then drink heavily.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

no it aids personal development

imho they should make the desks one person only and face the front and if theres bubblegum under there gently caress you

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Put all the empty Eurostar carriages in a hyperloop of mobile meeting rooms.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rarity posted:

I'm convinced open-plan offices only exist so that everyone feels too exposed to skive off

this has always been my view, when I saw our new office down in surrey I was really worried because the windows seemed to have been deliberately picked to be reflective so you could see everyone's screen as you walked through the central area

luckily(??) they made me redundant, although the guy whose job I would have shared had his own room where he just listened to heavy metal all day every day

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

If I'd realised that Twin Peaks was a comedy I might have watched it.

You should, It's.. everything, and then some

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not that I've ever worked in an office but it feels a lot of the time like working retail gives you less of a sense of exposure than most of the open plan spaces I've seen, because you're usually working on an area of the store by yourself and left to get on with it, and everyone's too busy to pay much attention to you.

Trying to do sit down brain work while sharing a room with a load of other people sounds dire.

Also having a common enemy to unite against helps (customers)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Not that I've ever worked in an office but it feels a lot of the time like working retail gives you less of a sense of exposure than most of the open plan spaces I've seen, because you're usually working on an area of the store by yourself and left to get on with it, and everyone's too busy to pay much attention to you.

Trying to do sit down brain work while sharing a room with a load of other people sounds dire.

My last place I was lucky that I got put in a little alcove by a bunch of shelves and by a creative subtle rotation of my screens I should shitpost on SA all day via VNC and watching youtube vids all day on the monitor hidden from view. And by it's nature meant if someone who I didn't want to see me slacking off was approaching me I could just minimise that VNC session / flip it to just show a google homepage and act as if nothing was happening. Helped we were allowed to work "with one earbud in" for music.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/IndiaWilloughby/status/1617942074464309248

Lordy lord. What a take.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

if you're enclosing an area with stud walls to use as an occupied space you have to ventilate the new room either mechanically or via windows to outside. Also you have to cut in and reroute circuits for power and light. These pod things look like they have ventilation and plug/play power at least which bypasses any kind of forward planning which office managers are incapable of anyway

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

also presumably theres minimal downtime to construction and when it turns out to be a poo poo idea it can get hosed off and theres very little to remind anyone it was your poo poo idea.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

hiring temps for my office - must bring own cube

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

this was actually part of my degree final project. They would also have to live in it.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I like sharing office space. We all look at photos of our pets on each other's phones and gossip about Kevin Spacey being charged with involuntary manslaughter and moan at each other about stupid corporate emails. Sitting alone typing all day was bad enough during the pandemic, there's no way I would want that to be permanent.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There are videos all over social media where people are claiming that the Covid vaccine has given them thing like uncontrollable shakes, and they do things like video their left arm shaking violently, while holding their mobile phone perfectly still in the other, recording their grifting/conspiracy/attention seeking video...

So behold, the ultimate shitpost

I'm going to spoiler it, due to the amount of chocolate pudding used

https://twitter.com/StreathamRovers/status/1617970007371321344

There are so many funny replies from quote tweets. They've been appearing on my feed all day

:allears:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's taken a month but I finally finished watching The Beatles: Get Back. I'm not the biggest Beatles fan and I kind of mocked the huge running time of 460 minutes plus seemed very indulgent.

But finishing it? It still was a bit much but seeing the making of an album is always really interesting, and you wouldn't quite so much of the raw song writing process if it wasn't so long. And getting the full live show on the roof of the Apple Building was great, especially as it went to PC Plod in the lobby looking completely useless while threatening to arrest people, and they end up just standing around in the background while the band plays Don't Let Me Down. While chewing on his helmet strap. Dorks.

So I enjoyed it. The original director seems to be a dope. The band definitely perked up when Billy Preston popped up.

That's my review of a film that came out over a year ago. It was good, if the process of how a record gets made, though you do have to hear a lot of The Long & Winding Road, which if you're me you may find a bit of a nuisance.

Still, Peter Jackson needs an editor he actually let's cut his films down.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fuctifino posted:

There are videos all over social media where people are claiming that the Covid vaccine has given them thing like uncontrollable shakes, and they do things like video their left arm shaking violently, while holding their mobile phone perfectly still in the other, recording their grifting/conspiracy/attention seeking video...

So behold, the ultimate shitpost

I'm going to spoiler it, due to the amount of chocolate pudding used

https://twitter.com/StreathamRovers/status/1617970007371321344

There are so many funny replies from quote tweets. They've been appearing on my feed all day

:allears:

Not that it matters since I've already clicked though but is it actually chocolate pudding or actual poo poo?

I only ask because I'm not an expert in real or fake public pants-shittings so I have not a clue lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it does give you the shakes but only for like, a day or so.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Get on with doing Tintin 2 please Sir Petey Jax. That was the plan, what's the goddamn holdup?

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

But finishing it? It still was a bit much but seeing the making of an album is always really interesting, and you wouldn't quite so much of the raw song writing process if it wasn't so long. And getting the full live show on the roof of the Apple Building was great, especially as it went to PC Plod in the lobby looking completely useless while threatening to arrest people, and they end up just standing around in the background while the band plays Don't Let Me Down. While chewing on his helmet strap. Dorks.

I took it a bit at a time and enjoyed the experience, mostly. Also the actual date of my birth features in it; no major breakthroughs were made by the band that day, probably they were distracted. The rooftop concert is incredible, and ineffective policemen will never not be funny.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Lady Demelza posted:

I like sharing office space. We all look at photos of our pets on each other's phones and gossip about Kevin Spacey being charged with involuntary manslaughter and moan at each other about stupid corporate emails. Sitting alone typing all day was bad enough during the pandemic, there's no way I would want that to be permanent.

Gotta work on that gossip a bit - I think you mean Alex Baldwin, Kevin Spacey was one of the ones that got done in for sexual assault when #metoo was trending a few years back

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Smash cut to the Northern Ireland Civil Rights movement which, famously, found an eager and willing partner to engagement in the British state.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I know if there's one phrase that comes to mind when I think of gay rights in the 70s and 80s, it's respectful engagement. I'm sure queer community leaders were very respectful to reporters when they unanimously refused to condemn the white night riots.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Re office pod chat:

My company recently switched to using WeWork, and what a ballache.

We used to work with a single large open plan office building, which was ok. If people said they were going into the office you'd know where they meant, you could go in any time, and while the noise wasnt great we could usually accomplish whatever we'd gone in to do.

Now with WeWork, by far the biggest problem:

All I need is a desk, with a power point, where I can take calls. They all seem to have either:

Communal working space. Desks with power points, but they're all classed as quiet zones, so you can't take calls.

Lunch room. Desks with power points, and you can technically be loud on calls, but everyone's loud & eating lunch. Plus you get bad looks for taking up limited eating space for work.

Private pods: desk, quiet enough to take calls, but only have USB power points, so can't charge a laptop. After 2-3 calls in a row, need to find somewhere to plug in.

Look at this poo poo. All I want is a cubicle you fuckers! I guess if I went in every day & wanted to stay until like 10pm with my co-workers because I love my job SO MUCH then maybe some of this rubbish would be useful, but most of it closes at 5 anyway.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I kind of thought wework had gone bankrupt, they always seemed to be in the business of providing adult creches rather than office space and I never understood how their company came to be worth so much before it all went bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My company got rid of the stupidly expensive London office that was only used by execs and the board and made them all operate out of a wework space instead, in a bizarrely sensible burst of actually clever business.

Every other site is still in its own office space because there are a few thousand of us, so presumably it’s only scale that saved us from a similar fate.