Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
so this youtuber named meat canyon did a velma parody where velma needs to make out with daphne for a panic attack.

Is velma like so bad its good territory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ups_rail posted:

so this youtuber named meat canyon did a velma parody where velma needs to make out with daphne for a panic attack.

Is velma like so bad its good territory?

no thats just meatcanyon being funny.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

YeahTubaMike posted:

A lot of people didn't know Kevin Michael Richardson voiced Lester either. It's hard to tell what's general knowledge and what's me geeking out over how awesome voice acting is.

I'm so used to Kevin Michael Richardson doing his usual deep voice, I had no idea he did other ones. I thought the man was just always some form of Gantu. I was extremely confused when I heard Kamek's voice in the Mario trailer and just assumed they got the names mixed up and Fred Armisen was voicing him and Kevin Michael Richardson was voicing the penguin or something else. But no, HE is voicing Kamek and I had my eyes opened. I had no idea he had that kind of range.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Learning he voiced Billy in American Dad was a huge surprise.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macaluso posted:

I'm so used to Kevin Michael Richardson doing his usual deep voice, I had no idea he did other ones. I thought the man was just always some form of Gantu. I was extremely confused when I heard Kamek's voice in the Mario trailer and just assumed they got the names mixed up and Fred Armisen was voicing him and Kevin Michael Richardson was voicing the penguin or something else. But no, HE is voicing Kamek and I had my eyes opened. I had no idea he had that kind of range.

The YouTube channel Primm's Hood Cinema looked at the awful Friday cartoon and its one high point was Phil LaMarr doing an absolutely spot-on impersonation of both Ice Cube AND Chris Tucker. (At least at first, then it seemed like he stopped caring which was understandable because the was garbage.)

Although for a dose of Uncomfortable they had John DiMaggio voice John Singleton's character.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 24, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Macaluso posted:

Now you have me imagining all his roles but it's just Gantu in that role's costume(obviously very poorly fitting since Gantu is a 8 foot tall whale alien thing) and it gave me a good giggle

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I don’t believe you. Not everything has to be for everyone! Run a niche show, advertise it, make some merch, people will seek it out and watch it!

https://twitter.com/thecartoonbase/status/1617602324696018945

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I also don't buy that BoJack was hugely popular and while it did need to end and I think it ended at the perfect time for it, I don't think it went out because the writers went we are out of ideas let's tie it up. They probably could have stretched 1 or 2 more seasons out of BoJack before it ruined any chance of a proper ending. Maybe they don't see that as a cancel though more the show running its full course.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I don’t believe you. Not everything has to be for everyone! Run a niche show, advertise it, make some merch, people will seek it out and watch it!

isnt johnny test awful though?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Whip crack

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Like one of the comments said, "Meanwhile please enjoy the highly successful show Boss Baby Back in Business."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

YeahTubaMike posted:

I had similar feelings about Glenn Howerton as Ernie on The Cleveland Show.

That was Glenn Howerton doing Ernie!? Oh man, that dude really does have range. I really wish society as a whole respected voice acting more so that kind of talent was more celebrated and appreciated.

Macaluso posted:

Kevin Michael Richardson voices both Principal Lewis and Billy on American Dad, that's a pretty good demonstration of how he can do both high pitched and low pitched characters: https://youtu.be/ZryhmfcCWkE?t=77

He's also Celevland Jr. on the Cleveland show, which always impressed me because it shows he can do multiple different versions of characters with a high pitched voice and have them sound completely different (compare Cleveland jr. to how Lester sounds, total different range)

The_Doctor posted:

Bullshit, Inside Job is STILL routinely on Netflix's most watched list, and so is Tuca and Birdie. I agree with you that a niche show with a small and dedicated can make lots of money off of merch, but these are shows that tons of people were watching and they still got canceled.

Damnit it Netflix! Just admit you hate animation even though your most popular shows are cartoons!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That was Glenn Howerton doing Ernie!? Oh man, that dude really does have range. I really wish society as a whole respected voice acting more so that kind of talent was more celebrated and appreciated.

Kevin Michael Richardson voices both Principal Lewis and Billy on American Dad, that's a pretty good demonstration of how he can do both high pitched and low pitched characters: https://youtu.be/ZryhmfcCWkE?t=77

He's also Celevland Jr. on the Cleveland show, which always impressed me because it shows he can do multiple different versions of characters with a high pitched voice and have them sound completely different (compare Cleveland jr. to how Lester sounds, total different range)

Bullshit, Inside Job is STILL routinely on Netflix's most watched list, and so is Tuca and Birdie. I agree with you that a niche show with a small and dedicated can make lots of money off of merch, but these are shows that tons of people were watching and they still got canceled.

Damnit it Netflix! Just admit you hate animation even though your most popular shows are cartoons!

Isn't the "Most Watched" List also algorithmically curated?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
So saw this on adultswims ig and good for them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Just hire cusack to do the bushworld voice. Please

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Shindragon posted:

I'm pretty surprised given RaM is probably their most popular show. I'm glad they did the right thing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

That is probably the big question, will they try to get people who can imitate how Roiland did Rick and Morty or will they say "gently caress it" and go with something radically different as a joke(would be far from the first time Adult Swim has done that when recasting a role for one of their shows)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

That is probably the big question, will they try to get people who can imitate how Roiland did Rick and Morty or will they say "gently caress it" and go with something radically different as a joke(would be far from the first time Adult Swim has done that when recasting a role for one of their shows)

My bet is they'll split the difference. For the first episode post-Roiland R&M will sound completely different, but then something will happen near the end, and they'll switch to sounding almost exactly like they did before.

Glad to see CN did the right thing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Who all did Roiland voice? Rick, Morty, Poopybutthole, Meeseeks. Am I forgetting anyone else notable?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

there's a guy on tiktok (seankellysays) who does rick and morty's voices pitch perfect, I would not be surprised if he got the gig.

looking at wikipedia, roiland didn't write that many episodes, like 3 and only one solo, so the show should continue pretty easily.

(but I guess that also means roiland can't be blamed for all the weird incest stuff I've heard about in the seasons I haven't watched yet)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shindragon posted:

Really surprised. Not just because Justin Roiland does so many of the voices but is also a huge part of the writing. I figured they'd just outright end the show. It's obviously the right call to split with him but I wonder how different the show is going to be without him being a part of it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Really surprised. Not just because Justin Roiland does so many of the voices but is also a huge part of the writing. I figured they'd just outright end the show. It's obviously the right call to split with him but I wonder how different the show is going to be without him being a part of it.

I don't think he did that much writing. Aside from the voices, my impression was that his direct involvement was pretty minimal after the first few seasons. He doesn't really show up at all in any of their Behind the Episodes breakdowns.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

My bet is they'll split the difference. For the first episode post-Roiland R&M will sound completely different, but then something will happen near the end, and they'll switch to sounding almost exactly like they did before.

Glad to see CN did the right thing.

Or maybe they'll split the difference by having one of them still sound more or less the same but the other now sounds very different, in that scenario it would probably be Rick for the former and Morty for the latter(as it's definitely easier to do a good Rick imitation than it is for Morty, plus they can just wave it off as something puberty related for Morty)

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Skippy McPants posted:

I don't think he did that much writing. Aside from the voices, my impression was that his direct involvement was pretty minimal after the first few seasons. He doesn't really show up at all in any of their Behind the Episodes breakdowns.
Yeah I posted 3 before but it's more like co-writer on 6 eps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rick_and_Morty_episodes

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Roman posted:

there's a guy on tiktok (seankellysays) who does rick and morty's voices pitch perfect, I would not be surprised if he got the gig.

looking at wikipedia, roiland didn't write that many episodes, like 3 and only one solo, so the show should continue pretty easily.

(but I guess that also means roiland can't be blamed for all the weird incest stuff I've heard about in the seasons I haven't watched yet)

jesus you weren't kidding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdCO4xxS6rQ

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Skippy McPants posted:

There are multiple episodes based around Justin Roiland improving in the booth

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Froghammer posted:

There are multiple episodes based around Justin Roiland improving in the booth

There are, like, two of those episodes across seven seasons. I think they'll be okay without them.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Can Solar Opposites just spin off into a new show called The Wall please?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was kind of under the impression that beyond just the voices, so much of Rick and Morty was so closely linked to Justin Roiland's personality and personal tastes.

Part of what was kinda weird about all the stuff coming out about Justin Roiland sexually creeping on minors was the fact that the show seems to depict a similar (but nonsexual) situation with Rick relying on Morty being too young to know better, but also the show seemed often critical of Rick for that. So it kinda seemed like it would imply some kind of awareness for why all that was bad.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Skippy McPants posted:

There are, like, two of those episodes across seven seasons. I think they'll be okay without them.

And usually there's another plot going on while the various sketches pop up in between, it's not the whole episode.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's good as hell AS is keeping the crew on. Usually the Big Name getting a fired puts hundreds of people out of work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Replace Roiland with Michael Cusack and Zach Hadel and call it Smiling Friends Season 2.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Das Boo posted:

It's good as hell AS is keeping the crew on. Usually the Big Name getting a fired puts hundreds of people out of work.

Yeah, this is the best outcome anyone could hope for. Animation is a notoriously volatile industry a ton of people depend on R&M for their livelihood. I'm glad they get to keep their jobs, hopefully at least through the current set of ordered seasons.

Arc Hammer posted:

Replace Roiland with Michael Cusack and Zach Hadel and call it Smiling Friends Season 2.

Do a whole season where some kind of sci-fi poo poo fucks up their voice, and it's a new actor for each episode.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Welcome To Night Vale changed one of the voice actors and explained it away as "throat spiders," all other media should do the same.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm glad the crew keeps their job but i'd give them an opportunity to pitch a new show, because there's no way they see the full 4 season order now. especially with Zaslav the Butcher

but also because justin was the voice and face of the show, fair or not to the crew, and so it's just gonna be fuckin rough. hopefully the fanbase doesn't still have crazy people in it like the height of the "brought swords to McDonalds over sauce" days because those people would not take this super well

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Just exclude Rick he's a dick, Morty hits puberty, new voice actor.

Space Beth can easily replace Rick.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

I mean there's practically a closet industry of amateur voice actors on Youtube/Tiktok/Twitter/etc. of people doing R&M impressions over the past few years so they'd definitely have to intentionally make the decision for a radical change since it's not like they can make the excuse of no one being able to do the voices right.

Personally if I were in charge I'd get people who can do imitations. Rick and Morty's voices weren't like, Roiland's natural speaking voice or anything (the way that for instance, Early on Squidbillies was basically just Unknown Hinson's normal voice) so it's not like he's inseparable from the roles.

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm glad the crew keeps their job but i'd give them an opportunity to pitch a new show, because there's no way they see the full 4 season order now. especially with Zaslav the Butcher

IDK, I feel like even Zaslav would see what a cultural phenom (for better or for worse lol) R&M is and won't can it unless Roiland's departure really does a number on the show's, well, numbers. Which I hope it won't because I still like the show (even if I've heard a lot of people insisting it's gone downhill) and like people have noted, Roiland wasn't nearly as involved in the writing process. But yeah, the crazies are still out there, I hope this doesn't trigger some dumb poo poo from them.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 25, 2023

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Roman posted:

community did have an incest episode. so I feel like it's dan harmon, or his writer associate that took credit for the incest episode within the credits of the incest episode

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

They already made a pilot for this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yg4ImnYwA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Wub a lub dub, my career's in the tub