Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The Craftsman on HBO Max is a reality show where a very old man who is good at woodworking shows you some of the cool stuff he makes

Oh poo poo I'm down for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

for a minute I would've put money on Farrell for best actor because everyone seemed rightfully embarrassed by The Whale but i think the pendulum has swung back to "yeah but we like the Brendan Fraser comeback arc"

Bill Nighy gets it as a career award

Antonymous posted:

The oscars are an industry award like if an exclusive American dental association awarded for 'best root canal' and always selected from its own memebers... and somehow the world recognized it as valid.

it's almost completely meaningless who is nominated, wins, loses but they have about a century of american media saying it's the most important award show so it still is even tho you openly have to bribe votes to win

Yes they're dumb but fun to argue about

like 2021 where they refused to give Chadwick his oscar posthumously after a career of nothing but amazing performances, and decided to give Anthony Hopkins his second one instead

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I wonder who's gonna get decked on stage this year.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

like 2021 where they refused to give Chadwick his oscar posthumously after a career of nothing but amazing performances, and decided to give Anthony Hopkins his second one instead

it was the better performance :bern101:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Xaris posted:

how does it compare to In Bruges

I actually liked In Bruges a lot (I even rewatched it while literally being in Bruges). but McDonough is kinda mixed bag for me. he definitely has a style and talent. but I didn’t really like seven psychopaths.

in Bruges is better from my memory imo.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Hmmm nope, pretty sure Ernest Borgnine wouldn't lie to me

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the phrase "the whole nine yards" comes from everyone being impressed by Ernest Borgnine's yards

Thank you, that is correct

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

i say swears online posted:

it was the better performance :bern101:

I don't care if it was, but also no

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Thank you, that is correct

people that say "niner" over old-timey radio are actually saying nine-Ern, for ernest borgnine, who invented the radio

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
When someone says a tumor is "benine" it means it's a pleasant lump, much like Ernest Borgnine's performance in Marty.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the nine-millimeter pistol was actually named not for the size of its ammunition but for its most famous wielder, Ernest "Guns Akimbo" Borgnine

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mawarannahr posted:

what are Women Talking about?

their Triangles of Sadness

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
v disappointed in the lack of a RRR wildcard nom. thought there might have been a chance when india didn't submit it for best international film. with preferential voting, it could have gone far, would have gotten a lot of #2 votes.

anyway it'll probably be women talking because it's the "coda" choice for this year

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mola Yam posted:

india didn't submit it for best international film.

wtf i had no idea

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ernest Goes to Borgnine

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

what are Women Talking about?

not my problem

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the phrase "the whole nine yards" comes from everyone being impressed by Ernest Borgnine's yards

a stitch in time saves ernest borgnine

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I gotta say I put on RRR and turned it off after the first ten minutes because I was high as gently caress and not really interested in seeing some woman get brained with a log after her child got stolen.

I'll try it again sober I suppose.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

when hitler was slamming the table shouting "nein!",

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Bill Nighy gets it as a career award

lol definitely not gonna happen but in theory this bet would pay out huge

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Cinematography/sfx wise it looks p good, so that's a first for d&d movies.

But yeesh that's a lotta wisecracking. Why is Chris Pine's silly rogue also the one with a tragic backstory instead of like, Michelle Rodriguez' barbarian? Who's also a quipper? Not really playing to her strengths as a performer imo (tho tbf it is Pines)

Ima sucker for fantasy but this one could be dicey. Willow looks more promising

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Mola Yam posted:

v disappointed in the lack of a RRR wildcard nom. thought there might have been a chance when india didn't submit it for best international film. with preferential voting, it could have gone far, would have gotten a lot of #2 votes.

Probably because they thought it would get a bunch of main category noms unless the academy is full of old racist idiots

but guess what

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I gotta say I put on RRR and turned it off after the first ten minutes because I was high as gently caress and not really interested in seeing some woman get brained with a log after her child got stolen.

no you should definitely watch it high, but I admit that scene was rough and there's a torture scene later

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

It's not a film for weed addicts, it's art

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

It's not a film for weed addicts, it's art

it wasn't weed okay dad

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

the dance scene would be amazing on weed

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Marty is totally worth watching, by the way. I've seen clips of Borgnine's speech in the first act posted on Sigma Mindset Instagram pages before lol.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

you ever tried watching a movie... on weed??

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

just realized the biggest oscar bait movie of the year She Said got 0 nominations —— hollywood will not be patting themselves on the back for this one!!

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

i say swears online posted:

wtf i had no idea

yup they submitted Chhello Show. and shockingly the movie that no academy members have heard of or seen didn't get nominated.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

just realized the biggest oscar bait movie of the year She Said got 0 nominations —— hollywood will not be patting themselves on the back for this one!!

i guarantee you at least a few academy voters got it mixed up with Women Talking

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
a real hidden fences situation

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
hidden feces

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Zvahl posted:

hidden feces

Nope that's The Help.

Racist.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1618012462292537344?s=20

wabalabadbdyb or whatever

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Hulu on deck for Solar Opposites

the fanbase for R&M is going to be incredibly obnoxious about this

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Jaxyon posted:

I'm trying to find chill viewing that is funny or non-toxic reality making tv shows like british bakeoff and i thought it'd give it a try but it's just not good so far

Ghosts (the British one not Yankee) or Our Flag means death are cute fun

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Blood Boils posted:

Ghosts (the British one not Yankee) or Our Flag means death are cute fun

OFMD is absolutely great and already binged it. Ghosts I'll check out

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

hire harry shearer

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jon Hamm as Rick,
Justin Long as Morty

Adbot