Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Also I genuinely believe Darktide is a good game in a lot of ways, where they very obviously hosed up in other ways. The rhythm, the special enemies, the bolter, the banter and a lot of stuff feels really good. Real gnarly too.

But yeah, they have a lot of work ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

I had Normal buttons (right mouse button) in the demo, I don't get how that even happens.

I quickly found out that Mouse 2 does work, yea, but I don't know why it would show me the keyboard input and not the mouse input lol.

Character in fact does not stop talking to the voice in her head ever. 30 - 60 FPS / 1440p on High settings with an RTX 3070, i9-10850k and 32 GB of RAM. Game definitely doesn't look good enough to be that choppy.

Games that force me to hit the Enter key on the "main" keyboard to close a prompt instead of quickly thumbing Enter on the number pad with my mouse hand are the worst though.

Feels very Ubisofty with lots of POI and UI elements to ensure you don't miss a thing and "What if Arkham Asylum combat but you're a wizard" (which isn't bad IMO)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 24, 2023

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Forspoken is kinda bad, but Darktide is good except :fatshark: ofc. Doubt it will be properly patched before autumn.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Also I genuinely believe Darktide is a good game in a lot of ways, where they very obviously hosed up in other ways. The rhythm, the special enemies, the bolter, the banter and a lot of stuff feels really good. Real gnarly too.

But yeah, they have a lot of work ahead.

That’s a big part of the reason for the reviews. Bad games come and go all the time without Steam reviews but what there is of Darktide is very good but not nearly enough for 1) The original buying price and 2) Adding in premium currency/skins and season passes already.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Played the demo, ran perfectly smooth 60ps at 2560 x 1440 on standard.

RTX 3060 TI
16 gigs ram
Intel i9-9900k @ 3.60 GHz

Combat is decent, I don't really have a good grasp on mixing up the attack/support magic and hitting the parkour at the same time but it looks really cool when you do pull it off. There's a 'parry' in the sense that after some attacks you have a second to two to hit Y and do some kind of burst pushback. Otherwise you're probably just going to spam attack R2 and dodge, little else.

The traversal is really nice, but parkour is sort of like a stamina gauge so you can't always sprint everywhere nonstop. It really wants you to use parkour flourishes constantly, and it's actually hard to control them because especially around trees it'll constantly trigger a parkour flip when you just want to run through them or sprint quickly around an enemy.

The regular dialogue between Cuff and Frey for exploration and battles isn't as cringe/quippy as it seemed but it is aggressively boring, like they were terrified of dead air or something during gameplay. Frey's English VA also comes off as bored and lifeless so far. I decided to check the other 3, Japanese, French, and German they all sounded better, just more passion and emotion in their lines by a lot.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 24, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

pentyne posted:

The traversal is really nice, but parkour is sort of like a stamina gauge so you can't always sprint everywhere nonstop. It really wants you to use parkour flourishes constantly, and it's actually hard to control them because especially around trees it'll constantly trigger a parkour flip when you just want to run through them or sprint quickly around an enemy.

Yea I also had the thought of, "A game like this really showcases how hard it can be to implement a good parkour free-running kinda movement system".

I just wanted to run over to the other side of that room and now I'm flipping off the walls. Seems like it could be enjoyable, but yea not gonna cough up $70 to find out if I can get the hang of the controls.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It looks like you can fly from some later-game shots but you seem to be more limited in the beginning.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

It looks like you can fly from some later-game shots but you seem to be more limited in the beginning.

If you parkour while running off a ledge you sort of glide down to avoid fall damage, flying would make the entire ground based mechanic that they seemed so intensely invested in you using meaningless.

You can basically wall jump up vertical cliff faces but I couldn't get it to work consistently without just constantly smashing jump and parkour at the same time.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

4K so expected to be lower but still not that low

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

She flies now?
Yeah, she flies now.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

pentyne posted:

You can basically wall jump up vertical cliff faces but I couldn't get it to work consistently without just constantly smashing jump and parkour at the same time.

I'm pretty sure you can only do the wall jump a few times, it drains the little pips in the bottom left corner or something. I'm not sure I never quite got the hang of it, and I already uninstalled the Demo after beating it :v: I would just jump up a cliff face a few times, find a ledge to rest & recover, then jump up the remainder of the face.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

lordfrikk posted:

4K so expected to be lower but still not that low

its unfortunate that its not showing for the FPS. Particle effects look great but they get lost in fast movement and blur and the lighting just seems flat... maybe its just the beginning area but it isn't particular exciting and overall... bland.

Sab669 posted:

I'm pretty sure you can only do the wall jump a few times, it drains the little pips in the bottom left corner or something. I'm not sure I never quite got the hang of it, and I already uninstalled the Demo after beating it :v: I would just jump up a cliff face a few times, find a ledge to rest & recover, then jump up the remainder of the face.

they drain continously when holding the parcour button down and every move is kinda autoparcour, walljumps etc. Reminds me of some other game... Prototype maybe

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Digital Foundry did a tech breakdown of the PS5 version and commented on the very flat lighting. Probably something that was chopped down everywhere to make the thing run.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Midnight suns is really good despite the jank. Shame it's sales are so low.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

Midnight suns is really good despite the jank. Shame it's sales are so low.

It would've been a day 1 buy for me except that's it's half visual novel.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This was the second most wishlisted game on Steam. Was it truly a scam, as many thought? Taken down because of some Epic shenanigans (I'm sure they needed the money)?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Anno posted:

This was the second most wishlisted game on Steam. Was it truly a scam, as many thought? Taken down because of some Epic shenanigans (I'm sure they needed the money)?

This is apparently the game where they asked for volunteers to work on the game for free.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

something broadly similar to what happened to Vermintide 2, the last game the devs made

what I'm saying is pretty much everyone who follows them saw this coming

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

play Deep Rock Galactic

Anno
May 10, 2017

Runa posted:

something broadly similar to what happened to Vermintide 2, the last game the devs made

But also tons of them bought the game anyway. The :fatshark: dichotomy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anno posted:

I’m truly shocked at this turn of events.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Runa posted:

As far as I remember VT2 backlash was basically just about bugs, balance, and similar things. It was a far, far more complete game that needed time for polish. Darktide is bugs/balance + incomplete game + microtransactions in incomplete game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Kibayasu posted:

I’m truly shocked at this turn of events.

Apparently not intentional? Although I don't think this happens on the reg or anything. Weird.

Estel
May 4, 2010
Technically Darktide had a better launch than Vermintide 2. Vermintide 2 had a lot more bugs and problems at launch than Darktide but it had more content.

Daktide it's fun but most people that know of Fatshark and their other games knew what was coming. And people bought the game because it's a fun game that will be improved with time, like Vermintide 1 and Vermintide2.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Estel posted:

Technically Darktide had a better launch than Vermintide 2. Vermintide 2 had a lot more bugs and problems at launch than Darktide but it had more content.

Daktide it's fun but most people that know of Fatshark and their other games knew what was coming. And people bought the game because it's a fun game that will be improved with time, like Vermintide 1 and Vermintide2.

It is extremely fun, but it is hard to say that it is objectively good, in the state it is right now. Someday it might be built up into a good game. Maybe even a great one.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

play Deep Rock Galactic

:yeah:

First 5 hours or so are kinda dull but once you get the hang of things, unlock some good guns and crank it up to Hazard 4 I am loving this poo poo so much.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

John Lee posted:

I mean, there's definitely subtle racism involved, but the very first case has somebody being pretty directly racist, and a lot of the later cases involve prosecutors talking about, like, "the cowardly spirit of the puling Nipponese" and poo poo
Yeah, it's got all that too. I wanted to highlight the subtle stuff though because it's recurrent and looming in a way the other examples you listed aren't, which is something I think sets the game apart. A lot of popular media likes to focus on explicit racism, and the character you mentioned from the first case is very obviously a villain, which tends to have the unintentional affect of compartmentalizing racist behavior. "Racism is obvious and racist people are obviously racist." And you know, some racist people are obviously racist (not that I need to clarify that on the Internet of all places), but because of that the subtle stuff sometimes goes without comment, and we don't talk about people who are seemingly friendly and welcoming who, the second something goes wrong, their eyes shift warily in your direction, because despite everything they still have reservations about you people, and I mean, you are a little bit suspicious, you know? You kind of stick out. We didn't say anything earlier, but we all noticed. It just wasn't a problem then, but now it might be.

I'm reminded of a conversation I had with an old friend who had some experience in a psychological field. Depictions of abuse in popular media often build up the abuser as specifically, consistently monstrous - and again, those people are real, they do exist - but often neglect depicting characters who are only sometimes abusive, or who are abusive but also emotionally invested in the subject of their abuse. These things also matter, not just because they're real, but because when you neglect them it paints this picture of abuse being both obvious and consistent, which can lead people who suspect they might be in such a relationship to conclude, "Ah, well, I suppose they're not that bad after all. It's only sometimes. They're always sorry afterwards." Someone else has it worse, so I/you don't have a real problem is, itself, a problem. I've seen people from Northern areas go on about how they can't be racist, because only the South is racist (based on a very narrow view of what the South is), racist people say slurs and commit violence, so I'm not racist, why on Earth are you talking about zoning regulations, who cares about that? Just build it elsewhere, what's the problem?

Again, Ace Attorney's always been a lighthearted, comedic series. It's silly and satirical without literary pretensions (though it does have moments where its soul shines through). But it tackles a topic I haven't seen tackled too many times in the popular sphere, let alone video games, so I thought that was worth talking about. I've played games before where a character is racist as a means of signalling they're a bad person (or at the very least a misguided one), but the sort of subtle racism that permeates even "Polite" society is a more novel inclusion.

Estel
May 4, 2010
The basic gameplay, meleeing and shooting, is fun and that is what you will be doing 90% of the time you are playing. And that is the most important thing about it, if the base wasn't good no one would "defend" Fatshark. Even with the lack of content I have 80-90 hours played.

If i recommend the game to someone I would warn him about that, the gameplay is fun but is light on content so if they don't feel like trying it right know better to check it in a couple months.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Good thread if you enjoy learning lots of random useless game/gamedev stuff.

https://twitter.com/SuperPodSaga/status/1614724222219354112

idk if this is true or not but if so it's my favorite of them that I've read

https://twitter.com/jane_m_lewis/status/1616832668922155009?s=20&t=Yox3CJ_ha2YJHhoY0PC0GQ

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

The MTX thing is a multiplier on how negative people feel about Darktide - for many, it feels like a bait-and-switch to see how much stuff that was in trailers is missing, how half-baked and unfinished the game is, realizing how much longer they'll have to wait for it to maybe get into a good state AND THEN they realize the cash shop is in from day one, it is fully functional and polished, it is jam-packed with the worst industry practices (fun-bux, items never cost any of the exact $s-to-fun-bux-conversion-tier amounts, some artificial FOMO, etc..), and best of all, if you're a previous :fatshark: aficionado, somehow WORSE than how FatShark have done it before, by orders of magnitude: VT1 had DLC that added maps and items, VT2 had a store where you could just buy poo poo for for $$s (and which released AFTER the game was in a decent state), and now they get THIS.

Don't discount the MTX factor, it is absolutely making people far less charitable in their appraisal of the game.

Oh, and didn't the devs put out something around a month ago about how all the lovely industry tricks in the Premium store were "unintentional" or some poo poo like that? Like how they are really sorry the fun-bux purchase tiers don't match the item costs or that they are sad to see people call it "predatory"?

Hahaha yessss: https://www.pcgamer.com/we-dont-want-to-be-predatorydarktide-devs-explain-why-they-switched-to-an-in-game-currency-to-sell-cosmetics/

quote:

The second is the bundles that can force players to spend more than they need for a skin. That, Wahlund said, was actually a mistake.

"We forgot to add one of the bundles. The idea was always to be 1:1. We realized a bit too late that one of the bundles wasn't in. It takes a bit of time to get it approved and stuff like that. But we for sure need to improve that, and we hear people. We got that one wrong, and we need to rectify that to make sure people don't have that friction at all."

quote:

Game director Anders de Geer said that it was an "honest mistake on our part," as the team focused on fixing bugs during the beta period, though he understands players will be skeptical of that answer. de Geer also explained why the switch to an in-game currency was an important move for making the cosmetics store much easier to manage.

"You have to price everything differently in all regions, so whatever you release, and every time you release something, you have to go through pricing it in all the different regions and making sure it works. That's something this helps with: we just have to price it once, and then we can sort that out in the game." 

If you believe any of this poo poo I have a bridge to sell you.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 25, 2023

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Anno posted:

Good thread if you enjoy learning lots of random useless game/gamedev stuff.

https://twitter.com/SuperPodSaga/status/1614724222219354112

idk if this is true or not but if so it's my favorite of them that I've read

https://twitter.com/jane_m_lewis/status/1616832668922155009?s=20&t=Yox3CJ_ha2YJHhoY0PC0GQ

"The Game Over glitch is a glitch in Final Fantasy VI that activates when the player is defeated 52 times in a row on the world map. This will trigger some odd behavior, varying from the game freezing to triggering glitched cutscenes.[1]

The glitch is caused by the game using an event pointer stack while handling the event scripts. One event calls a script as a subroutine and pushes the current event pointer onto the stack. Another event ends the current script, pulls the previous event pointer from the top of the stack and relocates to that address. When the player gets a Game Over, the script that triggers the Game Over screen pushes two event pointers to the stack, but only pulls one. If this is done 51 more times, it will lead to a stack overflow that overwrites the RAM and causes this glitch. If the player enters a location at any time (such as a town), the event pointer stack is cleared.[1]

There is a bugfix patch that players can use to fix it on the SNES version."
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wik...ed%20cutscenes.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Direct your bridge sales to the Tide thread, there are a few very motivated buyers in there

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Well, Forspoken has definitely got some optimization issues on PC. Attempting to run the demo at 1440p Ultra with a Ryzen 5600x + RTX3080 and Quality DLSS can hit about 60fps in the open world, but it's real shaky. I did the first bridge fight and FPS tanked down into the 20s, which very frequent dips all over the place. Whatever's happening appears to be tied to VRAM usage, my poor GPU was constantly tapped out. Even my RAM usage was at about 21GB, never seen that before. Visually it's a whole lot poppier than PS5, but this game does not look anywhere good enough to justify that kind of performance.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Well, Forspoken has definitely got some optimization issues on PC. Attempting to run the demo at 1440p Ultra with a Ryzen 5600x + RTX3080 and Quality DLSS can hit about 60fps in the open world, but it's real shaky. I did the first bridge fight and FPS tanked down into the 20s, which very frequent dips all over the place. Whatever's happening appears to be tied to VRAM usage, my poor GPU was constantly tapped out. Even my RAM usage was at about 21GB, never seen that before. Visually it's a whole lot poppier than PS5, but this game does not look anywhere good enough to justify that kind of performance.

Yeah I just used the auto detect settings and that gave me standard 1440p. Seemed fine but I really wonder why it's so demanding for a game that looks like pretty much every open world game of the last 5 years just a bit nicer.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1680880/discussions/0/3766732716817835011/

devs said it's really demanding on vram due to the texture streaming setup, likely enabled by the ps5's ssd/directstorage (and it's the first pc game to use directstorage). it just doesn't seem to be a very good port in general though and seems overly technically ambitious without much in the way of results - it doesn't even run particularly well on ps5 and isn't a visual showcase or anything

Anno
May 10, 2017

I haven’t checked out the release coverage much, but didn’t the demo occasionally run at like sub-1080 on PS5? I don’t think jt was particularly amazing over there either.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm really curious what the open world offers, so far everyone is saying that it's pretty much empty, nothing to really explore and uncover.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Anno posted:

I haven’t checked out the release coverage much, but didn’t the demo occasionally run at like sub-1080 on PS5? I don’t think jt was particularly amazing over there either.

PS5 version had very aggressive dynamic scaling and blurry LoD on the performance mode. According to DF it's better on 40fps Quality with a 120hz TV display but I don't have one of those.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Despite all of its problems, Darktide is still the absolute best game in its genre. I'm burned out on it now but I already put more hours into it than Vermintide 1 + Vermintide 2 + Deep Rock Galactic combined.

Comprehensive list of the "unfinished" parts of the game:
It's not yet possible to craft a perfect weapon, they can only come from drops

Legitimate fun-inhibiting problems the game has:
Some players are plagued by crashes, disconnects, and poor performance.

Things that reddit posters are foaming at the mouth about:
You only have access to a limited selection of missions which rotate in and out

There were weapons in the concept art that aren't in the game

Some passive skills don't work as described in the tooltips and/or are just broken/not working. Similarly some stats don't work the way you expect (e.g. only one class gets full benefit from crit chance)

There's a cash shop (note: there is ZERO indication in-game that there is a cash shop unless you run up to it in a physical 3d space and interact with it. There are zero ads/reminders/fomo timers/shop icons outside of the shop screen)

Not enough architectural variety/maps are all visually samey

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

zoux posted:

It would've been a day 1 buy for me except that's it's half visual novel.

Oh believe me, as someone who literally skips every cutscene the first time I play game, the required friendship building is easily the worst part of the game for me.

However, that's just how good the gameplay is. It does help that the writing is generally pretty strong and if you're a fast reader you can skip dialogue line-by-line.