Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will the light-heavyweight title somehow stay vacant again?
This poll is closed.
Another split draw 6 17.65%
Glover Teixeira pulls out citing old man hips 9 26.47%
Jamahal Hill gets TKOed during his weight cut by way of Bathtub 9 26.47%
Fight cancelled when Jiří Procházka throws a dolly at the fighter bus 10 29.41%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

On the topic of trauma and re: our conversation about exactly how gross the slap league is:
https://twitter.com/lthomasnews/status/1617649870285967370

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I'm not even a little bit surprised.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
not only did Jackass pay better, I’m pretty sure the Kenny Rogers Jackass sketch paid better

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm sure Dana tried to find a way to make them do it for free

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wasn't it a reality show? How long are they in there?

And how many bouts can they do in a period? Like, adjunct professor positions pay better than that.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

CommonShore posted:

Like, adjunct professor positions pay better than that.

lmao what?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

They're able to make amateur fighters fight potentially two weeks in a row on TUF and that is a real sanctioned sport, I'm sure the official amount for slapping is however much Dana White wants you to or else he calls you a pussy on TV

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

lmao what?

Seriously I get paid better than that for my part time proverbially underpaid insecure teaching position, with no brain damage.

2/2 is effectively unpaid.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

chaleski posted:

I'm sure Dana tried to find a way to make them do it for free

5k for the winner instead of 4k+2k.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Is the dana white power slap house like the tuf house where one loss puts you out of the competition or is it an actual league? Being sanctioned, wouldn't anyone who gets KOed or concussed be shelved by the commission for a while?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

ilmucche posted:

Is the dana white power slap house like the tuf house where one loss puts you out of the competition or is it an actual league? Being sanctioned, wouldn't anyone who gets KOed or concussed be shelved by the commission for a while?

Fight Lawyer Erik Magraken found this in part of Power Slap's regulations:

https://twitter.com/erikmagraken/status/1617244553404383232

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

CommonShore posted:

Seriously I get paid better than that for my part time proverbially underpaid insecure teaching position, with no brain damage.

2/2 is effectively unpaid.

Yeah I'm not trying to defend the 2/2 thing, I was just confused by the oddly specific comparison (the context is apparently that that's your own job title(?)), since it seems pretty natural to assume someone with "professor" in their title should be paid way more. That being said, I think unless they "fight" (and win) like 10+ times a year literally any job even slightly above the federal minimum wage pays more, and most don't involve brain damage.

Brut fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 24, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Anyway as for actual fights, apparently this weekend's(there's no card this week) next weekend's UFC card despite being at the Apex has a 10 PM EST prelim start time, presumably because of the many Korean and Japanese fighters on the card, this was the card originally scheduled to take place in Korea that TKZ pulled out of, right?

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Brut posted:

Yeah I'm not trying to defend the 2/2 thing, I was just confused by the oddly specific comparison (the context is apparently that that's your own job title(?)), since it seems pretty natural to assume someone with "professor" in their title should be paid way more. That being said, I think unless they "fight" (and win) like 10+ times a year literally any job even slightly above the federal minimum wage pays more, and most don't involve brain damage.

For some bizarre reason in America sessional academics are called professors

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

Oh yeah adjunct/temporary profs like me don't get paid poo poo. It's a thing.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

CommonShore posted:

Oh yeah adjunct/temporary profs like me don't get paid poo poo. It's a thing.

Is it some kind of institutional hazing? Or somehow you need to pay your dues? I never got why an adjunct with say a 2 or 3 course load a semester wasn’t a FTE with benefits. But IME as an undergrad at a research institution attached to a university, they also had PHD students working 40 hrs a week on a grant funded project also have to teach courses as well. And they were the lucky ones?

I noped out of academia and into private sector shortly after graduating. Never understood why the adjuncts would stick around.

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

We all know, deep down, that domestic abuser Dana White should step aside.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
Dana White has done a good job of equating UFC = Dana White, but I think it couldn't be any worse under any other leadership. How hard it is to lie to people and say "this is the biggest card of all time" or "this is the most incredible matchup ever put together". Literally anyone could do his job while also not beating up their wives.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

LobsterMobster posted:

Fight Lawyer Erik Magraken found this in part of Power Slap's regulations:

https://twitter.com/erikmagraken/status/1617244553404383232

Unreal stuff. Imagine having poo poo luck and losing a few coin flips in a row, you could get put in the shadow realm every six days without ever defending yourself or even throwing (?) a slap

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chaleski posted:

They're able to make amateur fighters fight potentially two weeks in a row on TUF and that is a real sanctioned sport, I'm sure the official amount for slapping is however much Dana White wants you to or else he calls you a pussy on TV

They're professional fighters when they get on TUF (a few outliers though) but yeah they say it's an exhibition bout to get around the commission but keep it full rules etc.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Feb 4th card is at such a screwy time because they had been planning to hold it at one of the Olympic arenas in Seoul but then in like late December quietly said its moving to the US with no explanation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don’t watch anything ufc live anymore and just catch finishes the next day from alternative sources. I’m so soured by dana white’s horseshit that I’m struggling even to do that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nystral posted:

Is it some kind of institutional hazing? Or somehow you need to pay your dues? I never got why an adjunct with say a 2 or 3 course load a semester wasn’t a FTE with benefits. But IME as an undergrad at a research institution attached to a university, they also had PHD students working 40 hrs a week on a grant funded project also have to teach courses as well. And they were the lucky ones?

I noped out of academia and into private sector shortly after graduating. Never understood why the adjuncts would stick around.

It's a way to pay people less and not give them benefits. At most places any adjunct who gets n courses gets all of those things, so nobody ever for any reason gets more than n-1. Most universities will cancel a course if all of the applicants are "maxed out" on courses (then they blame the faculty union).

In my case I stick around because I do it in addition to other projects, schemes and scams I have which are for the most part seasonally separate and don't conflict, and I've taught these courses so many times (some subjects I've taught literally 50 times) that I don't need to prep much. It's not my only means of support.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lol @ Dana White out there on his Instagram calling everyone who throws any shade at his Power Slap posts a Fake Account today.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

2023 ya'll

https://twitter.com/mmamania/status/1617863158592425984?t=fMADbgv7CqnpD651YYxMCw&s=19

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

dana white, massive piece of poo poo and conor mcgregor, accused of assault, sexual or otherwise. everything old is new again. happy 2023, everyone!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ugh, somehow what he's accused of is even worse than sexual coercion, he sounds like he's completely, murderously insane from some combination of drugs and CTE.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Jon Jones has 5 weeks to restore balance to the force. I have the DC smirking and shaking his head gif ready and locked.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It would be nice if one of these stuck, and it would be nicer if we didn't have to keep waiting for him to do more, worse stuff.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don’t watch anything ufc live anymore and just catch finishes the next day from alternative sources. I’m so soured by dana white’s horseshit that I’m struggling even to do that.

I'm pretty close to that. I watch about 4-6 events a year. This last event crowned a new LHW champion, and it was my first time watching him fight.

I am able to separate the art from the artist, so to speak. The UFC has just done a horrible job creating new stars that I care about, that and the fact that I know these guys aren't getting paid jack poo poo.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Same, sometimes for "big" events I will watch on my IPTV service. I think I purchased 1 PPV years ago, been following UFC since the jump but gently caress paying them.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

yeah im not even inclined to keep espn+ at this point much less spring for a ppv. id probably watch more shows otherwise, but so many (on paper) terrible cards and a businessman i can't support chased me from being mma fan who'd watch shark fights and invicta down to someone who watches maybe 3 cards a year and follows the sport from sherdog round by round descriptions the day after and here in psp. it's a bummer

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I'm legit envious of you guys that still watch all the cards. As is oft repeated, the fight quality is sky high and posting in the gdt with y'all is still good poo poo, but drat it I just don't give much of a poo poo anymore.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

I'm legit envious of you guys that still watch all the cards. As is oft repeated, the fight quality is sky high and posting in the gdt with y'all is still good poo poo, but drat it I just don't give much of a poo poo anymore.

They seem to be terrified of any fighter gaining any traction, or too incompetent to get them any traction, and it's amazing how often I'll see some amazing world beater in a co-main putting on a fight of the year performance against some other amazing world beater, both of them on gigantic win streaks, both of them singular, amazing, talents and tough as poo poo, and I've never heard of either of them.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
it's so incredibly easy to see the fights without buying a card that I don't think I'll ever buy another one

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tangy Zizzle posted:

it's so incredibly easy to see the fights without buying a card that I don't think I'll ever buy another one

I hope it's not :filez: to agree with this, but hard :agreed:

Which made me literally laugh out loving loud when I saw Power Slap is having a Pay Per View.

We, the degenerate fans of combat sports, might watch but absolutely no one is paying to see that poo poo, Dana.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Snowman_McK posted:

They seem to be terrified of any fighter gaining any traction, or too incompetent to get them any traction, and it's amazing how often I'll see some amazing world beater in a co-main putting on a fight of the year performance against some other amazing world beater, both of them on gigantic win streaks, both of them singular, amazing, talents and tough as poo poo, and I've never heard of either of them.

I think UFC realized the error of their ways once Conor started saying he (probably correctly) deserved not just more money, but a small ownership stake in the company. Not going to make that mistake again. That mistake, of course, is trying to market an individual fighter instead of UFC as a whole

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I'm glad that I enjoy MMA the sport itself enough to continue caring as much as I do, because yeah, it's loving tough. As someone who spends most weeks researching reasons people should care about Ridley Ribeiro, the fourteenth-degree black belt with a 72-1 record on the regional circuit who'll be facing 49-0 thirteen-time international sambo champion Luka Dončić (no relation) on the prelims of #7 Sean Strickland vs #14 A Coatrack, it's tough even before you get into The Nothing slowly consuming the good parts of the sport and replacing them with right-wing rallies and slap leagues.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

LobsterMobster posted:

That mistake, of course, is trying to market an individual fighter instead of UFC as a whole
I think this has led directly to the Ngannou situation, yeah. Have to prove that the company is a monolith and the individual fighters are disposable.

CarlCX posted:

Ridley Ribeiro, the fourteenth-degree black belt with a 72-1 record on the regional circuit who'll be facing 49-0 thirteen-time international sambo champion Luka Dončić (no relation) on the prelims of #7 Sean Strickland vs #14 A Coatrack,
So the first two aren't real(?), Strickland is unfortunately real, and I can't decide if the coatrack is someone's terrible nickname.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

This >< close to stealing all PPVs and just donating to good fighters on Patreon or something?

sub 2 my KOnlyFans?