Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Morroque posted:

I've seen the article posted elsewhere. The jist of it is that it was intentional, but not even Twitter's own employees know why. They received the order to do it, and Comms was told to draft up language for it, but that second part either kept getting delayed or just didn't even know what to say.

twitter has a Comms department again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
It's also possible that employees sent the request to Comms regarding "3party vendors" (as the article said) only for that request to remain unanswered because the process does not account for a crucial department no longer being there. That would also be an appropriate reading of the presented items.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

This also broke most, if not all, scrapers and data collection tools. Was in the middle of expanding a dataset for some linguistic research I'm doing when everything broke. Looks like I'll need to make due with what I have already and hope that's enough for a paper.

EDIT: Nevermind. Posted that just as I was getting out of bed, but it looks like the makers of my scraper have found a workaround and it maybe works again.

Tuxedo Gin fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 15, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The tools and apps that don't shut down may be able to switch to ingesting the web version of Twitter, which is harder to block but much slower and consumes way more bandwidth, so that's some higher bills for Musk to try to weasel out of paying

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Seeing as the remaining value of Twitter is having easy embeds on different platforms and seeing Elon Musk publicly poo poo his pants repeatedly, you would have thought the Mastodon people would have gotten around to implementing at least one of these things by this point.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

lobster shirt posted:

https://twitter.com/erinkwoo/status/1614399391959502850

looks like they did it on purpose. i don't have the ability to read the article though so no idea what the details are.

https://twitter.com/TwitterDev/status/1615405842735714304

Definitely on purpose.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Is Elon trying to throw a tantrum in hopes that someone buys him out but doesn't realize no one wants the toxic sludge that is twitter?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Is Elon trying to throw a tantrum in hopes that someone buys him out but doesn't realize no one wants the toxic sludge that is twitter?

A lot of people would buy twitter if the price were right

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Shammypants posted:

A lot of people would buy twitter if the price were right

Well maybe musk should take it public, hold a big IPO lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mercury_Storm posted:

Seeing as the remaining value of Twitter is having easy embeds on different platforms and seeing Elon Musk publicly poo poo his pants repeatedly, you would have thought the Mastodon people would have gotten around to implementing at least one of these things by this point.

I kind of agree, but also Mastodon isn't built around making money off ads so it's not particularly urgent that they get sudden meteoric growth or that they immediately become one of the go to ways to share an embedded post. Like it's such a different vibe from Twitter in a lot of ways so I can see why the general mindset of not wanting to make it "just like Twitter" might bleed over into functionality like that too.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:yikes:

https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/1615713971021008896?s=20&t=RK7LKOSZahGe3CLQP_mysA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh joy

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

We should have our own workshop for his first tweet. I vote for at least one deliberately misspelt word.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Surely the media will have learned their lesson and not treat everything he farts out onto Twitter as a news event this time.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Depends on how ridiculous it is.
If his posts weren't so drat stupid, they wouldn't be news.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why workshop his tweet when you know he's just going to open the app, brain dump without talking to anyone, and hit send

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Trump: Scottish Oatmeal Eater or Beef Eating Freeman?

https://twitter.com/schwarz/status/1615712012985847808?s=20&t=RK7LKOSZahGe3CLQP_mysA

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Surely the media will have learned their lesson and not treat everything he farts out onto Twitter as a news event this time.

the new head of CNN wants more trumpers for balance. So...you know...

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

This Is the Zodiac posted:

I'm... not confident that they have.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Large chunks of the media and their followers have been pretty clearly left adrift without Trump tweets to obsess over. They're absolutely doing to go straight back to them like it's 2016 all over again.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/CalmSporting/status/1616523418417123328?s=20&t=-Y_cXENzOVp9f80RHYxSHA

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Large chunks of the media and their followers have been pretty clearly left adrift without Trump tweets to obsess over. They're absolutely doing to go straight back to them like it's 2016 all over again.

By the end he was tweeting 50+ times a day and I don't think it ever had the same power as, for example, shithousing Jeb Bush at a debate.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Why retain a comms department when you'll handle all the tier 1 support yourself

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The Illusive Man posted:

Why retain a comms department when you'll handle all the tier 1 support yourself
Not an unreasonable workload when Musk restricts his services just for such important personages as Catturd and Ian Miles Cheong.

Meanwhile companies with 9-figure advertising contracts can't even get a meeting with Musk.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
xpost from elon thread:

someone named Maia crimew ( pronounced cri-mew) just leaked the entire tsa no fly list

https://twitter.com/PunishedLink/status/1616834765021220864?t=zo_KguaTBCTxh2kOCu5dOA&s=19

Their blog alone is a work of art
https://maia.crimew.gay/posts/how-to-hack-an-airline/

additionally they would fit in perfectly at YOSPOS

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Ah, a Touhou fan.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I just got the new layout update on Android and now to see my chronological timeline I have to always go to that middle "following" column. I'm guessing there's no way to turn this off or set Following as the default view?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

frameset posted:

I just got the new layout update on Android and now to see my chronological timeline I have to always go to that middle "following" column. I'm guessing there's no way to turn this off or set Following as the default view?

You’re right.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You’re right.

:smith:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

frameset posted:

They didn't spend all those resources tweaking the recommendations model for extra 1% engagement to let you just ignore it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Advertising and engagement hacking is the art of getting you to look at things you otherwise would not choose to. It's the core of their business model

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

haveblue posted:

Advertising and engagement hacking is the art of getting you to look at things you otherwise would not choose to. It's the core of their business model

This is what I tell my client who ask about SEO. Their business model is "you pay them money to appear in the sponsored results, and the rest of the results aren't so spectacularly poo poo that people will abandon the platform entirely."

You aren't going to get to #1. No one can guarantee that, because your competitors want the same thing and will use the same techniques and honestly they have no less right to it, and why should Google give a gently caress about any of you?

What matters is conversions. Once someone sees you, are they buying something? What can you do about that? That's the thing that impression metrics don't capture, and that's where designers can make an actual difference (but still not much -- you have to be tempting).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

While this is not the most surprising discovery, a whistleblower confirms to FTC that any Twitter engineer has an unrestricted ability to impersonate any Twitter user. https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/01/24/whistleblower-twtter-ftc-settlement/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Musk's new policy of "just stop paying people what you owe them" now leading to truly shocking consequences

quote:

Twitter is being sued for alleged nonpayment of rent by the owner of its US headquarters building in San Francisco, the latest of several lawsuits saying Twitter stopped paying bills after Elon Musk bought the company.

[...]

Twitter is facing a similar complaint in the High Court of London. "Britain's Crown Estate, an independent commercial business that manages the property portfolio belonging to the monarchy, said on Monday it had begun court proceedings against Twitter over alleged unpaid rent on its London headquarters," Reuters reported.

[...]

The SRI complaint is the second lawsuit against Twitter filed by a landlord in the San Francisco County Superior Court. The previous lawsuit, filed by Columbia REIT-650 California LLC, said Twitter failed to pay rent of $136,000 at the 650 California Street office tower in San Francisco. The space was leased by a mobile ad company purchased by Twitter in May 2020.

[...]

Twitter was also sued last week by a consulting firm that says it was never paid $2.19 million owed for work it did on the lawsuit that forced Musk to complete his purchase of the company. Previous lawsuits alleging Twitter failed to pay bills after Musk took over were filed by a software vendor and a private jet provider.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

We call this ‘doing a Trump’

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

quote:

Twitter was also sued last week by a consulting firm that says it was never paid $2.19 million owed for work it did on the lawsuit that forced Musk to complete his purchase of the company.

A lot of people call today's world a ridiculously twisted dystopian joke, but it does have its bright points

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Never thought I'd see a case where I'm backing both landlords and the UK Crown Estate but Twitter truly does unite us in the most unexpected ways.

I forget, did they close the UK office or are they going to get evicted from an active office?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.theverge.com/2023/1/24/23569678/twitter-default-timeline-for-you-remember

Looks like they've annoyed enough people.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
Why don't the people who own these Twitter HQs.... just change the locks once its been X days since they last got a rent payment? Slumlords do it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dull Fork posted:

Why don't the people who own these Twitter HQs.... just change the locks once its been X days since they last got a rent payment? Slumlords do it all the time.
I know that they got evicted from a building in Singapore