Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Unsinkabear posted:

Why does the missing Insert matter? I didn't even notice, because I think I have literally only ever pressed that key to turn overwrite mode back off after hitting it on accident.

Shift+Insert is really great for pasting, especially in terminals where Ctrl+V doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

I think they were specifically talking about that slightly exploded 75% type of board layout. If you're looking at that and not throwing in 65% or different kinds of 75%, there's really not much that fits in 4 keys in the side column instead of just 3. Which is weird, because the space is there.

(KBD doesn't have an entry 75 that I'm aware of, and everything Royal Kludge and Nuphy make are compact layouts where everything is smooshed together into a single glorious but impractical rectangle)

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. My brain compartmentalizes the exploded and compact 75% layouts into their own categories, even though they're both 75%. Since I don't like the compact layout, I wasn't even thinking about it at all. But yeah, for those, the full column is a mandatory part of the layout so there's no getting around it. Most of them don't have knobs in the first place though.

repiv posted:

i suppose with the exploded type, having a 4-key column does require the whole board to be slightly wider to accommodate the spacing required around the up arrow, so it doesn't quite come for free

if you're keychron trying to ship a solid aluminium keyboard at the absolute lowest price possible then making the case smaller probably takes priority over anything else

I'm sure that's part of it, plus the extra socket, switch, and just the fact that it doesn't seem that important to most people. Sure would be personally helpful for me, though. It's the main reason I only considered the GMMK Pro at 75% vs. many other TKL options.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Saukkis posted:

Shift+Insert is really great for pasting, especially in terminals where Ctrl+V doesn't work.
Oh yeah right, and also copy/paste entire line in VS for example. And no I won't use vi.

repiv posted:

that can happen with anything that runs on 2.4ghz, maybe your neighbours are using their microwave or something. that spectrum is a mess.

move the dongle closer to where you use the keyboard if possible
You know I didn't even think about interference even though I'm aware of the problem :v:

The dongle is about as close as I can get it without becoming a wired keyboard though, just behind the couch in my HTPC. I should probably just try using it for a day with the desktop and see what happens.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

repiv posted:

i suppose with the exploded type, having a 4-key column does require the whole board to be slightly wider to accommodate the spacing required around the up arrow, so it doesn't quite come for free

if you're keychron trying to ship a solid aluminium keyboard at the absolute lowest price possible then making the case smaller probably takes priority over anything else

Good eye, I figured it was probably some subtle layout min/maxing thing but couldn't see what.

I would actually prefer the narrower board to the extra key, so I'm not mad about it. But maybe that's part of why the NJ80 (and Keychron, in fairness) are so comparatively narrow for a 75%. I could never figure that out either, should have known the two were related.

reL
May 20, 2007
The thing about these keyboards is you don’t even have to go crazy with macros and qmk to find something out that changes everything for the better. Just a few minor updates via the web configurator and tada I updated my capslock to be a modifier and now h j k l are home, pgdn, pgup, and end respectively.

Even if i went back to a larger than 65% keyboard I’d likely continue to setup my keyboard that way.

Honestly looking at capslock as an unnecessary dead key and figuring out ways to use it as a new modifier key to keep your fingers on home row opens up tons of possibilities that shouldn’t be ignored, regardless of what size you wind up with and what key(s) it has missing.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh yeah right, and also copy/paste entire line in VS for example. And no I won't use vi.

You know I didn't even think about interference even though I'm aware of the problem :v:

The dongle is about as close as I can get it without becoming a wired keyboard though, just behind the couch in my HTPC. I should probably just try using it for a day with the desktop and see what happens.

is the dongle plugged straight into the motherboard with no extension? USB3 ports can give off a surprising amount of 2.4ghz interference and throw off dongles in close proximity

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 24, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

is the dongle plugged straight into the motherboard with no extension? USB3 ports can give off a surprising amount of 2.4ghz interference and throw off dongles in close proximity
It's in a Type-C dongle thingie. There's no USB A port but that could be a source of issues too if it's flaky.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think I'd be fine without the numpad because who ever uses that, but I do use the stuff above the arrow keys and F keys for games that want a hundred hotkeys like RTS's or MMO's.

Keychron gets it's name tossed around a lot in both a positive and negative space and that kickstarter for a keyboard of theirs linked earlier had 350k pledges out of 50k, so they seem somewhat popular, what's their story?

And if I get a bare keyboard is there a recommended bag of silent keyboard keys to get and plug in?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I received the GMMK full size set I ordered a few weeks back today. I got Kalih Copper switches, they're decently silent, at least much less aggressive sound than the Cherryh MX Brown I was using before.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Saukkis posted:

Are you using terminals from 1995? What kind of terminal still doesn't support normal pasting

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Question because I don't feel like taking apart one of mine to find out: do Ducky boards have enough space in the bottom of the case for a layer of padding or foam or something? Bought friends a pair of keyboards as a housewarming/marriage gift and it turns out one is a bit too loud when used ten hours a day by a professional programmer.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Taffer posted:

Are you using terminals from 1995? What kind of terminal still doesn't support normal pasting

PuTTY, Gnome Terminal, MATE Terminal, Konsole, Terminology, can't remember if I've tried it on LXTerminal but I doubt it would work. ^V already has a different purpose. The only one where I've seen it work is modern Command Prompt.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i like the numpad because i use it as a shortcuts pad

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Saukkis posted:

PuTTY, Gnome Terminal, MATE Terminal, Konsole, Terminology, can't remember if I've tried it on LXTerminal but I doubt it would work. ^V already has a different purpose. The only one where I've seen it work is modern Command Prompt.

My brother in Christ, command prompt is not a modern terminal. Get yourself a copy of Microsoft Terminal and install WSL2 for full Linux and bash support. Life changing improvement.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Splash Attack posted:

i like the numpad because i use it as a shortcuts pad

Protip: this option is not exclusive to big dumb full size keyboards. You can still do this using a separate numpad on the left.

In fact, many of the cheapest discrete numpads are macro pads, so you can actually do it better!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Keychron seems somewhat popular, what's their story?

They make keyboards that are a fantastic value but their QA isn't the best, and if you get a bad one they will openly (I'm not kidding) tell you to go gently caress yourself a hundred ways from Sunday. They're setting a new bar in customer hostility, which gets a pass to some extent because of their pricing and the usual "I didn't have a problem, therefore there is no problem" bias from people who got good boards.

It's complicated. After reading the stories here and on Reddit I will never give them a dime, but I don't blame anyone who decides the discount is worth it.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 24, 2023

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Unsinkabear posted:

Protip: this option is not exclusive to big dumb full size keyboards. You can still do this using a separate numpad on the left.

In fact, many of the cheapest discrete numpads are macro pads, so you can actually do it better!

which ones would you suggest

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Splash Attack posted:

which ones would you suggest

No one ever listens to me, I wasn't prepared for this. :ohdear:

The cheap one I've had my eye on for macropad use is the Adafruit, but it seems to be permanently sold out. For more traditional numpads, Varmillo and Leopold are only a little more expensive. And it's been about a year since I looked, so there may be newer options the thread can suggest as well

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Murphpad is pretty cute too

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have one of the eight key pads from here:

https://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-falcon-8-rgb-custom-programmable-mini-macropad-mechanical-keyboard-assembled.html

They make bigger ones too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Several years ago I bought one of their Falcon 8, and my main impression of it has been that their configuration software is atrocious, at least for that model. I don't know if the software for the Falcon 8 RGB is any different though.

I can't imagine this is the best way to set up a multi-key macro.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Honestly after I posted that I remembered the software and then had a thought like "maybe it's better now?"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

always get something with QMK/VIA given the choice, life's too short to deal with garbage manufacturer software any more than necessary

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

ijyt posted:

Murphpad is pretty cute too

I built one last month and I thought it was pretty badass for the money.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

drat, that white Murphpad kit is cute as hell and exactly what I want. I really wish their assembly options included millmax sockets (or even just regular switches), because I do not have a space where I can solder my own. :smith:

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

death cob for cutie posted:

Question because I don't feel like taking apart one of mine to find out: do Ducky boards have enough space in the bottom of the case for a layer of padding or foam or something? Bought friends a pair of keyboards as a housewarming/marriage gift and it turns out one is a bit too loud when used ten hours a day by a professional programmer.

Yes, you can put foam in the case. However, the cases are a bit of a hassle to take apart, just go really slowly and be careful. There are clips along the underside of the top part of the case, you will need a slim screwdriver or similar to pry them open, there should be videos or pics online.
Once you're inside, unless you're using very thin foam, it's unlikely you'll be able to use a single piece. Due to support ridges inside the case you'll probably have to cut out a bunch of rectangles to fit into the case like a flat tetris. It's not too hard, but might be a bit more effort than you would initially think.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Have you checked out the megalodon macro pads? They're similarly priced to an assembled murphpad.

https://www.keebmonkey.com/products/megalodon-triple-knob-macro-pad

They make a few different models too if this one isn't quite what you want.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Unsinkabear posted:

The cheap one I've had my eye on for macropad use is the Adafruit, but it seems to be permanently sold out.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/5100

Looks like the barebones one is in stock?

edit: nevermind, that doesn't come with the plate and bottom

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 25, 2023

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

thanks for all the suggestions, they've been good. i've noticed a lot of them aren't hotswap or require some soldering knowledge which i don't have atm. i'm going to assume that the market is too niche for it to be worth it isn't custom made to order in groupbuys and stuff?

mariooncrack posted:

Have you checked out the megalodon macro pads? They're similarly priced to an assembled murphpad.

i actually ordered one through drop last year but it says it's not shipping until february.... lmao

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

mariooncrack posted:

Very, very cool. I like the idea of having two extra knobs, as the knobs on these are often intended for profile cycling and not volume control. Having another one or two means you can have both, and be more flexible in your keyboard choice since you don't need the knob(s) there. A volume knob on a hotswap barebones numpad that is ready to go is something I've been hunting for a while.

But now that I've seen it, I like the layout of the murphpad better. :ohdear: Being able to do an actual numpad layout plus extra macro buttons on the side gives you the best of both worlds, especially because they support mirroring the numpad for left hand use.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 25, 2023

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

drat. I contacted the Murphpad people to see if they would solder in the 7305 Mill-Max sockets for an additional assembly fee, and they declined. They said their service solders on all components except switches or sockets, and if I want the latter then they "would recommend looking for an external build service that will do sockets for you as well."

:smith:

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

drat. I contacted the Murphpad people to see if they would solder in the 7305 Mill-Max sockets for an additional assembly fee, and they declined. They said their service solders on all components except switches or sockets, and if I want the latter then they "would recommend looking for an external build service that will do sockets for you as well."

:smith:

If you're in the US, and supply the sockets, I can do it for you. I've mill-maxed a bunch of boards, and plenty of goons can vouch for me if need be. The one issue with mill-max sockets is if the sockets on the murphpad are a little small and the sockets don't easily fit -- that can pretty much mean a no-go on mill-max. It's pretty rare, but I've run in to it a few times, mostly on KBDPad PCBs.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Gearman posted:

If you're in the US, and supply the sockets, I can do it for you. I've mill-maxed a bunch of boards, and plenty of goons can vouch for me if need be. The one issue with mill-max sockets is if the sockets on the murphpad are a little small and the sockets don't easily fit -- that can pretty much mean a no-go on mill-max. It's pretty rare, but I've run in to it a few times, mostly on KBDPad PCBs.

I think I will actually take you up on that. :unsmith: What's the go(on)ing rate for that kind of thing? Should I just drop ship the whole kit and caboodle to you?

MechWild actually offers a 60 pack of those mill-max sockets as an add-on to the Murphpad, so I'm betting they'll fit.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How long until goons are making their own custom PCB designs because nothing is quite right

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

mobby_6kl posted:

How long until goons are making their own custom PCB designs because nothing is quite right

Pretty sure we crossed that line several years ago.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

I think I will actually take you up on that. :unsmith: What's the go(on)ing rate for that kind of thing? Should I just drop ship the whole kit and caboodle to you?

MechWild actually offers a 60 pack of those mill-max sockets as an add-on to the Murphpad, so I'm betting they'll fit.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to know if they'll fit until you try to put some in.

Feel free to PM and I can send you my address and we can work out the details. No cost for a fellow goon, you'll just have to cover shipping.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Pretty sure we crossed that line several years ago.

I've got the deep brain worms and I'm designing my own TKL :ohdear:

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
gonna be hard to one up what is out there. Do some exotic martial poo poo like waterjet cut slate or something.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Gearman posted:

I've got the deep brain worms and I'm designing my own TKL :ohdear:

make it extremely heavy by making it out of machined tungsten or something.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Just don't name it after a Destiny weapon... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

runawayturtles posted:

Just don't name it after a Destiny weapon... :(

Don't remind me