Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Frank Caliendo, a nation turns its eyes to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
A sad ending for a show that started out as innocent online shorts about a boy licking his grandfather's scrotum.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

General Dog posted:

A sad ending for a show that started out as innocent online shorts about a boy licking his grandfather's scrotum.

Glad I never even took a glance

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's a good show, and I don't think his voice is particularly high on the things that made the show good. Tough to replace both your main characters voices, but I think they've got a decent shot at pulling it off.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

aw jeez rick how can you say that bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb morty that's life it goes on

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Rick and Morty has always fallen into the category of "turn it on at the hotel TV when nothing else is on" for me. I'd never willingly go out of my way to watch it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I hear Jennifer Hale will be stepping into the roles.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Considering how weird the show is, they can easily replace Roiland's voice work with somebody completely different and they'll justify it through some clever writing.

General Dog posted:

I hear Jennifer Hale will be stepping into the roles.
:hmmyes:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Pandora has blessed me this afternoon by tossing Teenage Dream into its rotation and it is still some of the best pure pop.

I'd never looked before but of course Max Martin is a co-writer.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

just got some new doors installed in my home

gently caress sliding doors, French doors for life

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Rick and Morty is great because I fuckin hate that poo poo and all my friends love it, which happens with a lot of stuff because I’m a grump and I get harassed over it, but with Rick and Morty I can just say “Yeah man, so he like turns into a pickle, funniest fuckin poo poo on TV” and no one ever has anything to say to that

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I liked the first two seasons of the show well enough, and it's actually a pretty depressing show. But it and other shows like it make feel like a hipster because enough people either take the wrong message from it or only latch on to the memes/cultural references that trying to talk about it with other people irl is kind of pointless if not annoying.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I liked the first 3 seasons of Rick and Morty but haven't kept up for the most part. I also came across it later and was pretty put off by a lot of the online fans, which is a lot since I engage on occasional with anime fans online and men who get real mad that a lady has sports opinions.

My dumb entertainment gripe is Dolly De Leon deserved an Oscar nom over Hong Chau for The Whale and that the nomination process for foreign language films is dumb.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My wife and I have watched basically all of Rick & Morty. It's an extremely bleak show. It has visual gags and lots of cultural references and stuff but the show just bludgeons you over and over again with horrific situations, tragic consequences, and the characters' mutual psychological trauma. Even poo poo like "pickle riiiick" is all about this rear end in a top hat going to ridiculous extremes to avoid facing his own family in therapy and having to directly address all the terrible poo poo he does to them. It's dark comedy, basically.

A fair number of episodes fall flat, but there's some that really work IMO.

I do not engage with the fandom at all, and I don't recommend doing that. For anything. Fans suck. All of them. Football fans suck! Fan is short for fanatic and fanaticism sucks. Why do I even post in this forum with you people. Ugh.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I'll chime in and say I enjoyed the first 3 seasons well enough, to the point I impulse grabbed the first 2 off Amazon on Black Friday or Prime Day sales or something like that where they were dirt cheap. But then there was that 2~ year gap before season 4, from late 2017 to late 2019. During that timeframe is when the toxicity and negative views of the fanbase who just obsessed themselves with the show and let it define their lives, where being a "Ricky and Morty fan" was everything, plus nonsense like the whole McDonald's szechuan sauce thing happened. All of that sorta soured my view on the show, and add on poo poo that happened in my own life in 2019, meant I wasn't as interested in following it by the time season 4 came out. Looking at the episodes, I remember some of season 4, but not in detail. By the time season 5 came out, my cable package had dropped Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, so I haven't seen an episode since.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i watched the first five seasons a few months ago

i'll say it was at it's best in the first season or so before they really started taking a turn

also the episode with elon was hilarious, but it had nothing to do with elon, who was the complete opposite of hilarious

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I've enjoyed all the seasons I've watched, and it has been interesting watching Rick slowly, inch his way to trying to be a better person. He actually went to that therapist this season! And took her advice!

Show's bleak as gently caress though yeah.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The audience being terminally broken brain doesn't affect me that much but hey, get this, I watch anime.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Leperflesh posted:

I do not engage with the fandom at all, and I don't recommend doing that. For anything. Fans suck. All of them. Football fans suck! Fan is short for fanatic and fanaticism sucks. Why do I even post in this forum with you people. Ugh.

A general rule of thumb I have is to try to not let the fandom dictate my enjoyment of a thing, because ultimately all fandoms suck and ruining the things they love is what they do

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shinji2015 posted:

A general rule of thumb I have is to try to not let the fandom dictate my enjoyment of a thing, because ultimately all fandoms suck and ruining the things they love is what they do

Imagine basing your enjoyment of Breaking Bad or the Wire based on TVIV threads of those two series.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

swickles posted:

Well, Hulu has a deal with him too for Solar Opposites...

Yeah, that’s the biggest loss here. That shows way funnier than R+M lately

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kalli posted:

Imagine basing your enjoyment of Breaking Bad or the Wire based on TVIV threads of those two series.

sorry, thats not whats keeping me from watching breaking bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs2cANQUhP8

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I don't get the appeal at all for Rick and Morty but people also get mad at me because I think Ted Lasso sucks rear end so who's to say

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Hot Diggity! posted:

I don't get the appeal at all for Rick and Morty but people also get mad at me because I think Ted Lasso sucks rear end so who's to say

Weed

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yeah, that’s the biggest loss here. That shows way funnier than R+M lately

Yeah, I liked Solar Opposites more I think. Its way less bleak and they low key created the best survival/post-apocalypse/mystery box show in the Wall sub-plot.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kalli posted:

Ah tv iv I will never forget the incredible meltdown caused by the silicon Valley thread and spaces v tabs in coding .

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Shinji2015 posted:

https://twitter.com/RickandMorty/status/1618009508420386817

So I guess the allegations about Roiland must be pretty serious

A precedent has already been set for recasting.

Make the call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vTG_kewAG0&t=11s

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Rick and Morty is one of the funniest shows in recent media but the fan base is garbage.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Anybody got a link to that comic about the emts showing up to remove a corpse and the dude died because a cat sat on him and he didn’t want to get up? Then the punchline is that a cat sat on one of the emts and now they are doomed?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I love the double cigars.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1617640316063866897

People are already tired of them dude. Then again what do I know they keep making huge money

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
They'll start mining the other comics genres that were around before the superhero boom in the Silver Age, like… romance comics or horror comics.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Marvel should've taken like at least a year off after Endgame, but god forbid they pause the money machine.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
No one will ever tire of Guitar Hero, lets make new ones every 3 months with competing brands doing the same.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

If someone asked me if the thing making me millions of dollars a year was going out of vogue, I would also say no.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Blowjob Overtime posted:

If someone asked me if the thing making me millions of dollars a year was going out of vogue, I would also say no.

It's exactly this. What's that quote about how someone will never understand something that their livelihood depends on them not understanding?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I do love the exasperation of people who just don't understand why other people continue to like something they don't.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's funny to me that people are hoping for the death of the MCU when Marvel Comics itself came into prominence after the Comics Code Authority went into effect. Creators that were doing other genre comics (mainly horror like from EC) got jobs at Marvel & started doing more or less the same stuff but a little more sanitized.

The MCU's already played around with some genre-bending in movies & shows. The Captain America movies went spy thriller, Ant-Man is more or less heist movies, and the new Doctor Strange is leaning into horror. Hell, She-Hulk was an updated Ally McBeal.

I now await for a MCU romcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Marvel and DC have been around so long and have such extensive libraries that they could do stories for the next century without repeating one. Marvel chose to "open" with the Infinity Saga, which was a good way to blend Earth with the cosmic stuff. Netflix and Hulu kind of ran the city level stuff with Defenders, C&D, and Runaways. The neat thing is that they can (and seem to be) introducing Fantastic Four, which could lead to Dr. Doom or Galactus as the next Big Bads. We are also getting mutants which means X-men and (a hopefully better) Apocalypse. Mephisto has been theorized as the Big Bad since Wandavision. Point is, you can create a ton of new stories while leaving the old characters behind, or you can have them star, cameo, whatever. And that is even before you just decide to reboot everything in MCU 2.0.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Marvel should've taken like at least a year off after Endgame, but god forbid they pause the money machine.

I do kind of agree with this, but I like that they decided to focus on Spiderman movie wise. Maybe if they treated things like Phase 1 MCU, where there were more self contained stories with a pop in here or there. Actually, that is one thing I thought Thor 4: More Thor did really well. We saw Thor hanging with the Guardians at the beginning and got some interaction with them, but ultimately he leaves them after like 10 minutes of screen time.

I think the big issue is that most people feel like you have to watch every minute of every MCU property before seeing the next movie or else you will be hopelessly lost, and I don't think that is true right now. You definitely need to know the events of Infinity War and Endgame. I think that is why they are trying to lean into newer (re-acquired) properties, because more origin stories means less reliance on the previous phases and those events. Just let the characters show up.