Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Lareine posted:

Not the best photo because of the dirty glass but I'm still getting down the basics of fish photography.

I should've gotten more. 8 isn't enough for a 29 gallon.

I don't know what's cuter, the baby shrimp or the pygmy cory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Bonster posted:

Older post, but...

I don't have a protein skimmer on my FOWLR tank. Like you said, live rock and water changes will be enough as long as you're not loaded with delicate corals.

Thank you, yeah I had to remove the drat thing. 4 gallons of water on the floor was enough.

I do need to get some more live rock though. The pieces I was given don't have anything on them, and the one covered with feather dusters and now some pineapple sponges isn't spreading any coralline algae.

That said, I was given two corals. A mushroom and some red toadstool? They came as freebies in an order (so did some pods, but I think the goby might have eaten them all), and I do not have a coral light. They're in a breeding box for now so the urchins don't get any ideas, but should I find someone else to take them? I know mushrooms are low light, but I presume that still means a coral growing light.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Coralline algae does require some light to grow as well, though it doesn't need very high intensity at all. Mushrooms don't really require too much light either. Do you have a spare FW fixture you could throw on there?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

Coralline algae does require some light to grow as well, though it doesn't need very high intensity at all. Mushrooms don't really require too much light either. Do you have a spare FW fixture you could throw on there?

I think the light is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01ID3OK3S?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Bellmeistr
Jul 2, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Picked up a group (2m 5f) of blue eyed forktail rainbows (pseudomugil furcatus) yesterday. Taking my 29g low tech planted tank in to my office at work, so going to keep these guys and possibly some shrimp as well.

not my pic

I got 6 of these last year and now have about 40 after some crazy spawning. They are awesome fish and the males do a great spiraling dance with each other when competing for females. They do fine with my red cherry shrimp as well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So, above ground pond update

Had some ultra thin ice on one edge of the pond just before Christmas. Was out of town and it's been in the upper thirties mid 40s. Mid 60s today but water temp near 45F

Goldfish: having no problem, as expected, this is sort of what they are famous for
Rice fish/medaka: despite being tank raised in southern California, all the fish that survived the trip and first month, 9, are still alive and active
Golden killifish: supposedly native to the area and cold tolerant, I hadn't seen any since Thanksgiving but today I'm seeing two again. There's probably two inches of Japanese maple leaf litter covering the bottom of the pond so they might still be hiding. Originally there were 10. Also they're black with speckles so naturally very well camouflaged
Rosy red minnows: saw three, at Thanksgiving I was still seeing 5 but since the water temp got below 60 they sort of went into hiding
Mystery snail: had three, looks like one exploded (?) And I can see a bleached shell from here so guessing the third one didn't make it either. Been dosing pretty well with cuttlefish bone so I don't think it's a calcium deficiency
Crown of thorns nerrite snail: should be six in here, haven't seen any yet but they're dark and hard to see if not crawling on a lighter colored object

Java moss and Christmas moss appear to be thriving. I just super glued it to the top and sides of red brick, looks like it's doubled in size since Thanksgiving. In fact all the plants except one appear to be in good health. Java Fern and they long cylinder shaped generic aquarium plant... Elodea? Are growing a lot. The elodea looks like it's gotten about a meter of new growth combined

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://i.imgur.com/7aHvEnP.mp4

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Someone's mad this morning. After shoving that stick around the tank for a bit I dropped a couple shrimp in for her. She immediately took to tearing them to pieces.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I... uh... didn't expect my pygmy corydoras to spawn only a few days after I brought them home. There are little eggs here and there all over the place. I am totally not set up to rear fry so if they hatch, they are on their own. I've been grinding up some Hikari sinking wafers for the adults since their mouths are so small and I did get some mini bloodworms though I'm going to have to chop them into itty bitty bits.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Lareine posted:

I... uh... didn't expect my pygmy corydoras to spawn only a few days after I brought them home. There are little eggs here and there all over the place. I am totally not set up to rear fry so if they hatch, they are on their own. I've been grinding up some Hikari sinking wafers for the adults since their mouths are so small and I did get some mini bloodworms though I'm going to have to chop them into itty bitty bits.

I don't want to say I told you so but....

I had the same experience with my sterbai corydoras; they never again spawned as fiercely as when I first got them, those first weeks in quarantine were crazy. I think a combination of being young and virile, and being given a huge "water change" sets them off in a big way. As long as you have stuff like leaf litter or cholla wood, the kind of stuff shrimp pick at and shelter in, the cory fry will shelter under it and take care of themselves. With no predators in a shrimp tank there should be lots of tiny infusoria for them to graze on, and ground up food for the adult fish will go towards feeding that food chain too.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Welp, I'm the idiot that can't figure out why their aquarium is having so many problems but also doesn't know/test the water parameters beyond pH and temp. Nitrate 80 ppm will certainly do it. Fortunately my source water tested 0 ppm so I just gotta step up my water change size and frequency.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I’m currently trying to coach a newbie on the fishkeeping Facebook group I’m a part of, which is the closest I’ll ever get to being in a club, about the same thing. High nitrates mean overstocking (or tank is too small for livestock), overfeeding and/or insufficient water changing. The poor guy was panicking that he would need to buy more filters but when all he was seeing is high nitrates it means the filters are doing their job perfectly well. He was water changing multiple times a week but feeding his fish multiple times a day. And without doing big 50%+ water changes he had no hope of getting ahead of the climbing nitrates. He’d been getting the usual weird advice like “stick a pothos in your tank” which just doesn’t work without also giving the plant enough light. Just feed less, bigger water change, measure nitrates again after a week and adjust accordingly.

I think the main culprits for the high nitrates in this particular instance were the clown loach and the 6 or so bristlenoses and he had plans to give the bristlenoses their own tank so I am pretty sure that will help get things back in balance.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

I can't claim the stupid newbie excuse but the reasons are exactly as you listed. Doubled the volume of my system but didn't figure out a way to make double the volume for water changes, still using the same 4 buckets. Doubled the fish stock, didn't double the plant stock. Lazy & experienced is not much better than stupid newbie.

I think I might spend the $200 on a 50 gallon upright poly tank that fits in my water closet so I can get back to normal w/c's. I don't have room for 10 buckets and I have to use RO due to tap/well water parameters.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I mean if anything I've learned over the course of my fish keeping career and hobby and whatever you want to call it, it's that newbies make stupid mistakes, experienced keepers make expensive mistakes.

Like the time I didn't want to set up a second quarantine tank and so quarantine two different sources of fishes in the same tank, and ended up wiping out over $300 worth of rare plecos and African catfish.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Don't spend $200, spend $40-50 on a Rubbermaid Brute. Practically everyone in the salt world uses them for RODI and SW storage. You can get wheeled bases for them for another $30ish that makes them super convenient to wheel around for water changes.

Add an auto shut off kit, and dealing with RODI gets a whole hell of a lot easier. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auto-shut-off-kit-for-reverse-osmosis-systems.html

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 22, 2023

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean if anything I've learned over the course of my fish keeping career and hobby and whatever you want to call it, it's that newbies make stupid mistakes, experienced keepers make expensive mistakes.

Like the time I didn't want to set up a second quarantine tank and so quarantine two different sources of fishes in the same tank, and ended up wiping out over $300 worth of rare plecos and African catfish.
I remember this, and it was a confirmation for me that I would never, ever buy an expensive fish. Of course, 'expensive fish' is a relative term that seems to increase the longer you're in the hobby. I remember starting out thinking 20 bucks was outrageous for a fish.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

I remember this, and it was a confirmation for me that I would never, ever buy an expensive fish. Of course, 'expensive fish' is a relative term that seems to increase the longer you're in the hobby. I remember starting out thinking 20 bucks was outrageous for a fish.

In fairness, that 300 bucks I lost was with some expensive Queen plecos, I think it was six, and six African bullhead catfish.

I don't want to think about how much I've already poured into the saltwater tank, but again in fairness, only about 4 or 5 months a year can I get animals shipped in, because the rest of time is just too freaking hot. I spent a good chunk of change on getting captive bread Hawaiian mini brittle stars, and I never see them in the tank, and part of me wants to order more before it gets too hot but it's still a lot of money to drop on adorable little starfish

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Don't spend $200, spend $40-50 on a Rubbermaid Brute. Practically everyone in the salt world uses them for RODI and SW storage. You can get wheeled bases for them for another $30ish that makes them super convenient to wheel around for water changes.

Add an auto shut off kit, and dealing with RODI gets a whole hell of a lot easier. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auto-shut-off-kit-for-reverse-osmosis-systems.html

I have a footprint of 18" by 28" to work with so the Brute & trash can stuff won't work. I also have to work around the washer hookup & drain, which I'm using for the RO system, that is right in the middle on the back wall. So the $200 poly tank I'm looking at is a rectangular RV water tank that I can mount above the hookups which would also let me gravity drain to buckets for w/c.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

It's been a few days and I don't think the cory eggs were fertilized properly. They are REALLY HARD to see though so I can't tell you for sure. It also doesn't help that they weren't put in one place. They are scattered across the tank.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Lareine posted:

It's been a few days and I don't think the cory eggs were fertilized properly. They are REALLY HARD to see though so I can't tell you for sure. It also doesn't help that they weren't put in one place. They are scattered across the tank.

Yeah cories tend to flashmob and spray the stuff all over. Usually fish who lay in one area tend to care for their young/guard the eggs.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I'm looking at getting some cherry shrimp for my heavily planted 40g and is there a reliable place online I can order them? I'm going to check my local fish store but that's a 40 min drive and I just want to have some online options.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rythe posted:

I'm looking at getting some cherry shrimp for my heavily planted 40g and is there a reliable place online I can order them? I'm going to check my local fish store but that's a 40 min drive and I just want to have some online options.

Probably local groups on whatever social media platform.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Good call,I forgot I have a few local and active ones to search in. How many do you all recommend to start with?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Rythe posted:

Good call,I forgot I have a few local and active ones to search in. How many do you all recommend to start with?

I tend to buy them in batches of 10.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Rythe posted:

I got 20 which was probably too many because all of the females got berried and now I've got way too many shrimp. I guarantee you that there is someone out there who has the same problem I have. Get 10 and see what happens.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Lareine posted:

I got 20 which was probably too many because all of the females got berried and now I've got way too many shrimp.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

If you don't have fish eating the babies, a good portion of them will live to adulthood provided you give them enough food. A single berried female can have up to 30 young at a time. It takes a few months for the babies to get to breeding age. Since I have a 29 gallon, I might not be in trouble now but I know in the future, I'm going to have hundreds. I didn't expect me to be this good at shrimp keeping straight out of the gate. I was half expecting me to murder the drat things with ineptitude.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Lareine posted:

If you don't have fish eating the babies, a good portion of them will live to adulthood provided you give them enough food. A single berried female can have up to 30 young at a time. It takes a few months for the babies to get to breeding age. Since I have a 29 gallon, I might not be in trouble now but I know in the future, I'm going to have hundreds. I didn't expect me to be this good at shrimp keeping straight out of the gate. I was half expecting me to murder the drat things with ineptitude.

I have kept shrimp before (I'm actually currently building a 6-chambered acrylic tank just for breeding cherry shrimp, so I can breed multiple colours without them diluting into wildtype). I just find the phrase 'too many shrimp' hard to accept, since I can never have too many shrimp :v:

In my heavily planted 20G I had easily a few hundred shrimp, but only ever saw maybe 10-20 at a time because they had so much moss and driftwood to hide in.

I'm also a weirdo who loves breeding ramshorn snails, though. I just got a half dozen blue ones and my reaction to seeing eggs on the glass was :sickos:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Lareine posted:

It takes a few months for the babies to get to breeding age. Since I have a 29 gallon, I might not be in trouble now but I know in the future, I'm going to have hundreds to sell

ftfy

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I started out with four shrimps in a 10gal about a year and a half ago. I still have the tank and also have a 25gal, with somewhere between 30 and 50 shrimp each. I bought shrimp food early on but don't do anything with them anymore; they just eat leftovers and algae and just kind of exist.

By the time your population starts to worry you you'll be itching to get another, bigger tank anyway.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How many generations of shrimp do you need before inbreeding becomes a problem. Clearly they don't have the same issues a humans do

4 shrimp is a pretty tiny gene pool to work from

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else here use Fluval E100 Advanced Electronic Heaters? I have two in my 90 that work great, but then I have one in my 29 gallon zebra pleco tank that has been recording low temperatures for the past few days. I'm not sure why this one isn't working as great as it should, but reviews online are mixed on how to fix it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Does anyone else here use Fluval E100 Advanced Electronic Heaters? I have two in my 90 that work great, but then I have one in my 29 gallon zebra pleco tank that has been recording low temperatures for the past few days. I'm not sure why this one isn't working as great as it should, but reviews online are mixed on how to fix it.

I have an E200 that has mostly worked fine after some initial issues with it heating past its set point (as far as I could tell). They basically told me to just pull it and unplug it, wait a bit, and stick it back in, which solved the problem though I'm not sure why.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I am about to start selling blue dreams out of my 29, I started with two groups of 10 each from different breeders and now there’s at least 150 in there

every time I do a water change, try as I might to avoid them, I siphon out 5-10 shramps and have to net the little shits back into the tank

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
debating whether to spend my tax refund on

a) kids college fund
b) pay down my credit card debt
c) this motherfucker right here https://www.fijicube.com/products/fiji-cube-81-gallon-rimless-ext-glass-tank-stand-sump-water-reservoir and finally get a reef going

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
So I've been attempting to do a side hustle of breeding tropical fish and verts with a friend(no Saltwater because Saltwater is for disgusting weirdos) and it's going extremely well. Does anyone have any advice on selling? We have far too many mystery snails.
Also how do you make bristlenose breed? We have a bunch of fancy bristlenose and cannot get them to breed (both regular and peppermint).
Even though I live in aus said friend is a vet so I can get any fishdrugs that are normally restricted.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

big dong wanter posted:

Also how do you make bristlenose breed? We have a bunch of fancy bristlenose and cannot get them to breed (both regular and peppermint).

Is your breeding tank equipped with sufficient hiding spots? Bristlenoses like little caves for the males to chase the females into where they lay their eggs, so the common practice is to scatter about three or four little tubes of pvc pipe or whatever so they have a selection to find at least one they find comfortable.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I forgot that my bn like to spawn in winter, so I found three surprise clutches. Thankfully before the masses of them escaped to starve in the main tanks.

I believe peppermints (L183?) need soft water to spawn.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

What are the chances that a cooler soft water change will help trigger a spawn, similar to corydoras? In any case getting them conditioned for breeding with quality food is always important.

I've had no luck selling fish, it's very location dependant. Facebook doesn't allow selling any more but Gumtree does, but the hobbyist market is saturated with bristlenoses. Maybe the trick is finding a store to sell to, and there's none of that here. There's supposedly something like aquabid, a website for aquarium and fish sales being set up (edit to add, an Australia specific site) but I don't know if that got off the ground and that would probably mean you'd need to be willing to ship fish. And the courier situation is dire, sellers can't guarantee you'll get a box in the same week anymore let alone next day express like it used to be.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
anyone here that builds their own aquariums, where do you get your glass? i just want to build a couple 10 gallon frameless aquariums and cannot find anywhere to get 6mm glass that is not over $125 for just a single aquarium. im in the chicago area if anyone knows anywhere local