Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

Oh believe me, as someone who literally skips every cutscene the first time I play game, the required friendship building is easily the worst part of the game for me.

what the gently caress? why are you even playing games at that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Conversely if you actually watch cutscenes, why are you playing videogames instead of watching movies? :hmmyes:

e: The last cutscene I can remember not skipping immediately when given the option is the intro cinematic to Dawn of War 1

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Conversely if you actually watch cutscenes, why are you playing videogames instead of watching movies? :hmmyes:

e: The last cutscene I can remember not skipping immediately when given the option is the intro cinematic to Dawn of War 1

Because the gameplay and cutscenes should both work in tandem to deliver an experience? That's like saying watching movies with the sound off is identical to the same experience you'd get with the sound on. You're just ignoring a portion of the experience.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I never skip cutscenes because I'm not a barbarian and have manners.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

what's the deal with this game that disappeared from steam? The Day Before?

Is this some kind of scam game?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Away all Goats posted:

Oh believe me, as someone who literally skips every cutscene the first time I play game, the required friendship building is easily the worst part of the game for me.

However, that's just how good the gameplay is. It does help that the writing is generally pretty strong and if you're a fast reader you can skip dialogue line-by-line.

I like the superhero friendship simulator part of Midnight Suns, but if you don't they made it all skippable and they clearly labeled which dialog option makes which number go up for maximum gaming efficiency. If you think the gameplay might be your jam I urge you to try it, especially since they have already started selling it at a discount.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

kazil posted:

what's the deal with this game that disappeared from steam? The Day Before?

Is this some kind of scam game?

It's supposed to be a technical issue on Valve's side but people have been talking about smoke from The Day Before for awhile now

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

pentyne posted:

To play the actual gameplay portions? I treat the story of games as bonus content. I don't see the point in getting invested in a story if the gameplay sucks. If I really want to know a game's story but the gameplay sucks I'll just watch a Let's Play or something.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I only skip kojima cutscenes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

slamming past everything that gives a game any kind of non-mechanical warmth is psycho poo poo to me but we all do what we have to to get by

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I don't read comic books and I haven't seen all the Marvel movies but Superhero Friendship Simulator was very good and cute, and the devs are obviously super into the genre instead of just chasing those Disney Ducats.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Eason the Fifth posted:

I only skip kojima cutscenes

Also the gameplay parts.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

pentyne posted:

Gameplay.

video games are a poo poo medium for story telling :shrug:

Agent355 posted:

Because the gameplay and cutscenes should both work in tandem to deliver an experience? That's like saying watching movies with the sound off is identical to the same experience you'd get with the sound on. You're just ignoring a portion of the experience.

Pretty sure deaf people watch things with subtitles on all the time

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

fez_machine posted:

It's supposed to be a technical issue on Valve's side but people have been talking about smoke from The Day Before for awhile now

Maintenance is done and it's still not back.

I hadn't heard anything about the game before this and everything I see makes me think it's not a real game.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Sab669 posted:

video games are a poo poo medium for story telling :shrug:

malarkey

Opera's a bad medium to tell a story but they're still better for having them

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

They're not video games, they're interactive multimedia experiences.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Dismissing legitimate issues and concerns as "poo poo Reddit says" is something of a cope if the game's Steam reviews are trending towards Mostly Negative and there isn't even a capital-G Gamer thing behind it.

Like, games that are genuinely mid to decent don't have that happen. It's OK to like Darktide, but lmao if you're trying to say critique is just Reddit being huffy. If that was the case the game would be hovering around 70ish %, redditors being unjustifiably whiny can't move that needle all on their own, since, you know, presumably the majority like the game, reflecting it in the score? Since that's not happening here, well...

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Things that reddit posters are foaming at the mouth about :
You only have access to a limited selection of missions which rotate in and out

There were weapons in the concept art that aren't in the game

Some passive skills don't work as described in the tooltips and/or are just broken/not working. Similarly some stats don't work the way you expect (e.g. only one class gets full benefit from crit chance)

There's a cash shop (note: there is ZERO indication in-game that there is a cash shop unless you run up to it in a physical 3d space and interact with it. There are zero ads/reminders/fomo timers/shop icons outside of the shop screen)

Not enough architectural variety/maps are all visually samey

Lots of posts in the darktide thread complaining about these things too, weird

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Away all Goats posted:

I realize everyone's entitled to their own ways to play and that the nature of games means that there's really no "right" way to play and that claiming that someone is playing a game wrong is at the end of the day narrow minded and antithetical to the whole concept of play, but you're playing games wrong.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

skipping cutscenes is what speedrunners do so you're just getting a headstart on your next career

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Cutscenes are a trap put in by the villain to make you beat them slower or feel bad about kicking them in the face. Don't be fooled.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I play all games on PC with the DVD tray open so cutscenes don't load.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Agent355 posted:

Believe it or not people play games for all kinds of different reasons! I have not paid attention to the story in a game since the SNES Final Fantasy games because it's not the part of games I'm interested in, I am interested in the part of the game that's a game, and full of complex interactive problems to solve. If I care about the story I will read the wiki because reading is a much more natural and enjoyable way for me to enjoy a story. Get this: I also skip dialog whenever possible! I will literally just click the first option, or whatever option is colored for "use this one to unlock new things or progress the game". I will absolutely never under any circumstances listen to voice acting! Even in the extremely rare cases where I get temporarily invested in a game's story for the first 30 minutes before it wears on me I will absolutely never allow a voice actor to speak a full skippable line because it's agonizingly slow compared to reading and makes games actively un-fun for me.

I play most games with the sound off, too :ssh:

I'm not "ignoring the experience" with games like Disco Elysium or whatever - it's just an actively un-fun and grating experience to me, so I don't play it.

Unsurprisingly this plays a large part in determining which games I think are good.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 25, 2023

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Even though it makes no sense to me, its probably fine to skip all cutscenes in videogames if you literally don't give a gently caress and can't bring yourself to try to. Its still very funny to imagine the cartoonish oaf version of this dude open palm slamming the skip cutscene button every time and then getting mad at the game because the story is bad and doesn't make sense.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Believe it or not people play games for all kinds of different reasons! I have not paid attention to the story in a game since the SNES Final Fantasy games because it's not the part of games I'm interested in, I am interested in the part of the game that's a game, and full of complex interactive problems to solve. If I care about the story I will read the wiki because reading is a much more natural and enjoyable way for me to enjoy a story. Get this: I also skip dialog whenever possible! I will literally just click the first option, or whatever option is colored for "use this one to unlock new things or progress the game". I will absolutely never under any circumstances listen to voice acting! Even in the extremely rare cases where I get temporarily invested in a game's story for the first 30 minutes before it wears on me I will absolutely never allow a voice actor to speak a full skippable line because it's agonizingly slow compared to reading and makes games actively un-fun for me.

I play most games with the sound off, too :ssh:

I'm not "ignoring the experience" with games like Disco Elysium or whatever - it's just an actively un-fun and grating experience to me, so I don't play it.

Unsurprisingly this plays a large part in determining which games I think are good.
i follow everything here except reading a wiki for the story. live your truth with everything else, but i cant see how reading a synopsis is in any way experiencing or enjoying the story

i'd even accept "having your friend tell you what happened" over that

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure most video game fan wikis contain far more text than the games themselves, the in-game story is practically the abridged version.

e: But really I think you're making the mistake of assuming that my taste in stories is exactly the same as yours or that I'm even interested in reading a synopsis of a game like Disco Elysium or whatever. Baldur's Gate is another example of a game that I have never played, will never play, and have zero interest in reading a plot synopsis of - but I love Icewind Dale 1 + 2 :hellyeah: Also Storm of Zehir is the best only good NWN2 expansion.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 25, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

youre the only one bringing up Disco Elysium lol i've not even played more than an hour of that game myself

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm just using DE as an example of a story-heavy game that would not be fun if you don't care about the story. I don't know many other examples because I don't play those games :kiddo:

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
:frogsiren: IT'S BACK, BABY :frogsiren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvtG2oBwbIA

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/SkillUpYT/status/1618079446984187905

This The Day Before story is starting to pick up some steam.

Is it feasible to somehow just gently caress off to the Bahamas with a bunch of preorder money?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I enjoyed reading up on the story of Elden Ring after I'd finished it, partly because I had no idea what had happened and it was still mostly a mystery. It was kinda like walking past a huge street brawl on my way home from work, and then later reading a news story about it that explained what everyone was fighting about, and saying "ohhhh, that's why that one guy was so mad".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I skip most cutscenes in games I know I’m not missing much, like the Just Cause series.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Trick Question posted:

Cutscenes are a trap put in by the villain to make you beat them slower or feel bad about kicking them in the face. Don't be fooled.

sometimes the cutscenes make you feel better about kicking the villain in the face!
sometimes you can't kick the villain in the face at all during gameplay because the cutscene does it for you

in conclusion cutscenes are a land of contrast

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Triarii posted:

I enjoyed reading up on the story of Elden Ring after I'd finished it, partly because I had no idea what had happened and it was still mostly a mystery. It was kinda like walking past a huge street brawl on my way home from work, and then later reading a news story about it that explained what everyone was fighting about, and saying "ohhhh, that's why that one guy was so mad".

This also applies to opera

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Triarii posted:

:yeah: That's a good example of the kind of game I'll read the wiki plot synopsis for. Or Roguelikes/roguelites, or whatever. Basically I will play a game for 100+ hours enjoying the game mechanics and then go "huh, I wonder what that was all about anyway" and then go read an article that says "Well the moon was evil and it cursed everyone and now you gotta fight it" and I say "oh, neat." and move on.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

This The Day Before story is starting to pick up some steam.

It is objectively failing to pick up steam Do Ho Ho

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

I'm pretty sure most video game fan wikis contain far more text than the games themselves, the in-game story is practically the abridged version.

i know i'd always rather read a 1200 page gamefaq written by xXx_s3ph1r0th_xXx than pay attention to a game's story, it's clearly the better experience. it has so many more words!!!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Black Griffon posted:

I realize everyone's entitled to their own ways to play and that the nature of games means that there's really no "right" way to play and that claiming that someone is playing a game wrong is at the end of the day narrow minded and antithetical to the whole concept of play, but you're playing games wrong.

If developers want me to pay attention to their storyline they should make a good game first IMO

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah, the Mechanist class drops in Chronicon tomorrow

https://twitter.com/chronicongame/status/1617902131075321856?s=46&t=oaHxWs3N_abw2jo0fRXTQw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i know i'd always rather read a 1200 page gamefaq written by xXx_s3ph1r0th_xXx than pay attention to a game's story, it's clearly the better experience. it has so many more words!!!

See personally I agree with this statement because (1) I am a very fast reader and (2) In text form like this, you don't have to be linear and chronological and you can instead read the parts that are interesting, go back to old parts to re-read them, etc. But if I were to actually play the game I am stuck at the glacially-slow pace the developers set and the pacing and flow is constantly broken up by switching between action and cutscene (and I have pretty bad ADHD so that is intolerable to me). And also (3) because I 100% guarantee you that xXx_s3ph1r0th_xXx has played the game back-to-back every week for the past 16 years and has an encyclopedic knowledge of it that would put its own writers to shame.

I miss giant gamefaqs guides :smith: