Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i'd rather read textboxes than watch long cutscenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cutscenes own, respect the content

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

There are some truly whack opinions in this thread. Y'all enjoy yourselves however you want but holy poo poo we can't be friends.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

If developers want me to pay attention to their storyline they should make a good game first IMO

why do you play bad games?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That might be the philosophical axis that this swings on because IMO it's not my responsibility to respect a game's content, it's the game's responsibility to respect my time. If it's not fun when I skip the cutscenes, it's not a game I like.

I have no idea why I'm even participating in this conversation though because I can't remember the last game I played that even had cutscenes :sweatdrop: I just scanned through my Steam library and the last games I played that even have enough of a narrative to include cutscenes were Elden Ring in April 2022, and before that it was Dishonored 2 and Pathfinder: WotR in Fall 2021.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

deep dish peat moss posted:

See personally I agree with this statement because (1) I am a very fast reader and (2) In text form like this, you don't have to be linear and chronological and you can instead read the parts that are interesting, go back to old parts to re-read them, etc. But if I were to actually play the game I am stuck at the glacially-slow pace the developers set and the pacing and flow is constantly broken up by switching between action and cutscene (and I have pretty bad ADHD so that is intolerable to me). And also (3) because I 100% guarantee you that xXx_s3ph1r0th_xXx has played the game back-to-back every week for the past 16 years and has an encyclopedic knowledge of it that would put its own writers to shame.

I miss giant gamefaqs guides :smith:

I suppose if you have no concept of or interest in the quality of the storytelling this makes sense? the way you're describing this reads to me like someone with no sense of taste explaining how a bowl of plain oatmeal is pretty much the same thing as a bowl of ice cream.

there are a ton of games I enjoy solely for the mechanics but sometimes they also deliver really moving and interesting stories. sometimes, that's pretty much all they are and there isn't much gameplay to speak of. i can't really imagine shutting out that whole side of video games, it's bizarre to me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deep dish strikes me as a poster that would prefer to play hollow knight over ace attorney. just different tastes is all

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'm in the camp of It's Fine To Skip Cutscenes if you want. But you are not allowed to complain about anything about the story and the characters. You are not allowed to comment on how nothing made sense even if it doesn't make sense with cutscenes.

anilEhilated posted:

It's Tom Clancy, the only ideal you ever need is "shoot the undeserving poor".
Shoot the Un'American' Actual 'American' ideals may or may not match up with the ideals they tout

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It just feels kind of like saying 'I watched The Sopranos but I skipped all the scenes with Melfi or his family.' Like yeah you still had AN experience, but not THE experience of watching The Sopranos.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Of the 10 most recently played games in my Steam library, 5 are city builders/colony sims, 3 are factory games, and 2 are roguelikes. :blush: This is what skipping cutscenes looks like.

e: There are cutscene-heavy city builders, believe it or not. Frostpunk and IXION are by all accounts good/cool city builders, but they're both story- and narrative- heavy so I skipped them. And as much as I like Anno, one of the reasons I burned out on Anno 1800 is because of the way it makes you re-watch (extremely short!) cutscenes and listen to (extremely short!) dialog every time you do things like unlock a new region, and I got sick of seeing/hearing those every time I restarted my game.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 25, 2023

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I just remembered that there's one game with good cutscenes and it's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQeAxxKcqmQ

so if you're playing God Hand, don't skip the cutscenes. Otherwise skip away! An easy mnemonic device: "If it's not God Hand, hit the skip button, Stan."

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

It just feels kind of like saying 'I watched The Sopranos but I skipped all the scenes with Melfi or his family.' Like yeah you still had AN experience, but not THE experience of watching The Sopranos.

it's more like saying "i ordered the entree but didn't touch the potatoes that came on the side"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Trick Question posted:

so if you're playing God Hand, don't skip the cutscenes. Otherwise skip away! An easy mnemonic device: "If it's not God Hand, hit the skip button, Stan."

Ahh goddamnit you just reminded me of a pure-cutscene game that I love: Asura's Wrath

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's more like saying "i ordered the entree but didn't touch the potatoes that came on the side"

It really isn't.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That's skipping sidequests, not main sequence cutscenes.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Goons only understand concepts through food allegories so I'm glad you broke it down this way

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I wonder how many people who are upset by the idea of people skipping cutscenes are imagining that this is happening in their favorite 80-hour dialog-based RPGs and stuff like that.

You don't have to worry about me disrespecting the cutscenes in The Witcher 3. I will disrespect the entire game instead by having zero interest in playing it :clint:

If you think I'm missing something by skipping the cutscenes in Tropico or Total War, well... :shrug: But yes I absolutely will go read a wiki about a faction's story in Total Warhammer to find out why this ogre hates the greenskins so much, after willfully skipping the 90-second cutscene that would tell me the same thing. And I prefer it that way.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 25, 2023

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i only watch movies at 20x speed so i can get to the good parts faster

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I watch cutscenes and usually want a story to propel me through a game, for example, in most open world games I want a campaign with bespoke missions and usually consider myself done with the game when I complete it. That said, I think the vast majority of games' writing/stories are pretty bad and don't begrudge anyone who'd skip that poo poo. I also think that people who play games solely for their narrative and don't care about the bad gameplay are certifiably insane.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

i only watch movies at 20x speed so i can get to the good parts faster

All that matters is I consume the movie in the most efficient way possible. I'll watch it in fast forward to see how many explosions there are and then read the wiki later.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Agent355 posted:

All that matters is I consume the movie in the most efficient way possible. I'll watch it in fast forward to see how many explosions there are and then read the wiki later.

We've finally found Elon Musk's parachute account

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I wonder how many people who are upset by the idea of people skipping cutscenes are imagining that this is happening in their favorite 80-hour dialog-based RPGs and stuff like that.

You don't have to worry about me disrespecting the cutscenes in The Witcher 3. I will disrespect the entire game instead by having zero interest in playing it :clint:

If you think I'm missing something by skipping the cutscenes in Tropico or Total War, well... :shrug: But yes I absolutely will go read a wiki about a faction's story in Total Warhammer to find out why this ogre hates the greenskins so much.

You should play fighting games they seem like they'd be right up your alley

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

pentyne posted:

why do you play bad games?

Why do you?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Sometimes the store page tricks me :negative:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
skipping cutscenes is like ordering a rotisserie chicken and just eating the skin

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this doesnt work as a food metaphor i'm sorry. i know it's crazy to say this but not everything adapts to food

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

this doesnt work as a food metaphor i'm sorry. i know it's crazy to say this but not everything adapts to food

This is like driving a car without a windshield. :iiaca:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Here let me try

Skipping cutscenes is like ordering a rotisserie chicken and they also give you a little printed short story about the farmer who raised the chicken, but you decide to not read that and just eat the chicken instead

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Triarii posted:

Here let me try

Skipping cutscenes is like ordering a rotisserie chicken and they also give you a little printed short story about the farmer who raised the chicken, but you decide to not read that and just eat the chicken instead

Wait, is that what the costco receipt is for? I've just been throwing those away gently caress

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Triarii posted:

Here let me try

this is the worst food metaphor so far

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Skipping the cutscenes is the Citizen Kane of gaming.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ymgve posted:

skipping cutscenes is like ordering a rotisserie chicken and just eating the skin

this is called peking duck and it's a delicacy
e:

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 25, 2023

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

skipping cutscenes is when you understand what you want to order, and it's a big plate of skippin' the cutscenes, just like mom used to make

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I can appreciate the view that stories in games should be context, not content, but there are still games that manage to tell pretty good stories, sometimes in spite of the writers' abilities.

My go-to example of this is the first Resident Evil (or the remake I guess, since that's what I played). The plot, insofar as there is a narrative, is pretty bare bones and kinda stupid. But the story of you, trapped in an elaborate escape room with limited saves and limited resources while monsters close in on you like a noose, is good. Those are real emotions you're feeling, and emergent moments of panic and success become what you remember. That's good storytelling. The writers and voice actors might not have come through, but the game designers, musicians, and artists pulled together for environmental design and presentation; and those things are also storytelling.

There are some things games can learn from movies and books, but comparing them wholesale does a disservice.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I don't usually skip cutscenes, but I'll abandon games if they're too long or frequent. I'll refund a game if the opening cutscene goes over 10 minutes.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bad Seafood posted:

But the story of you, trapped in an elaborate escape room with limited saves and limited resources while monsters close in on you like a noose, is good.

this is referred to as "emergent storytelling" and there's a whole genre of games that revolve around it. check out rimworld!

e: i'm being informed rimworld is for sickoes

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

this is referred to as "emergent storytelling" and there's a whole genre of games that revolve around it. check out rimworld!

Yeah, a lot of colony simulation games do this well.

I like invoking Resident Evil, however, since the written plot is patently ridiculous, but the story that emerges from interacting with the mechanics is actually kind of genius. It's a good example of a game trying to ape movies and failing, while simultaneously doing something only games can do, and doing it well. It's a game that simultaneously proves and disproves the Ebert gauntlet, which makes it a good way to shift the conversation away from comparing games to other forms of media and focusing, instead, on games as their own medium.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Games, as an interactive medium, have the ability to tell interactive emergent stories in a way that other media never could. They're the only media where you, as the audience, get to experience the same adventure that the protagonist is on - because you are the protagonist.

The rest of this is personal hot take and I'm not saying anyone's dumb for disagreeing with me, so cutscene-stans keep it in your pants:

There is absolutely nothing about a pre-written, linear story that can be done better in videogames than it can be done in other mediums, and trying to mix interactivity (gameplay) with linear hands-off "being told" a story (as opposed to "living" a story) is frankly, IMO, bad. It feels like reading a book but with chores that you have to do before the chapters unlock, which is an absolutely hideous idea that makes my skin crawl.

Making a game be about a linear narrative, rather than emergent personal storytelling (the only story being my story, of the path that I took, the challenges I overcame, and probably how I died before the end) feels like like an artist picking the wrong medium for them. If the linear narrative is good enough to stand on its own purely as a narrative that's worth experiencing, then literally any medium other than "hot-swapping back and forth between interactive problem-solving and being told a story" would be fine to me, but playing a narrative or story-based videogame is like interactive nails on a chalkboard to me.

Like I'm fine with a light narrative to push things along, but if your videogame is trying to be literary, then why are you making a videogame

Ironically the only story-based videogame genre that I can see as benefitting from the videogame format is Visual Novels/Interactive Fiction. Games that are explicitly not "games", games that are explicitly as novel-like as possible, that can (not saying they all do, but they can) insert small bits of interactivity to enhance the narrative without breaking up the flow. I guess the same is true of those games that are pretty much just a movie that you watch and do QTEs in. Sure, whatever, maybe that can be cool, because it's focusing on being what it works as, and only pulls in the "videogame" part occasionally, hopefully for a meaningful reason.

I read extremely fast, and I optimize and min/max the poo poo out of every game I play which means I play everything at essentially speedrun pace. If you throw in cutscenes or voice acting, it is guaranteed to be lagging significantly behind where I am mentally at in the game/story/whatever. I was the kid in English classes whose eyes would glaze over because of how slow everyone was reading as they took turns reading aloud, so I'd silently read ahead, get 2 chapters deep by the time they got to page 6, then go home and devour the entire book that night. Meanwhile the class would spend the next 5-6 weeks reading the same amount of text. It's just so inefficient... :gonk:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 25, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Trick Question posted:

Don't act like you don't like the ballbuster.

Ballbuster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

There's a guy over in the RPG thread who expressed exactly that stance once, so....