Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

worms butthole guy posted:

Anyone know of any horror titles that take place on the ocean?

Nonfiction, but:

In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick is really good. You'll learn a lot. You'll learn a lot about cannibalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The Deep?

Black Helicopters by Caitlyn Kiernan takes place (in part, if I am remembering correctly) near the ocean if that's close enough for you

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Nonfiction, but:

In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick is really good. You'll learn a lot. You'll learn a lot about cannibalism.

Ooo I loved mayflower, I'll check this and the deep out

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Bilirubin posted:

The Deep?

Black Helicopters by Caitlyn Kiernan takes place (in part, if I am remembering correctly) near the ocean if that's close enough for you

Or maybe I was recalling Agents of Dreamland. Whatever, they are both short so read them

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Scar by China Mieville is definitely body horror at times.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

100 Fathoms Below, Steven L. Kent
Ok, it might actually take place under the ocean.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thread, I want zombie survival novels. Zombie books. Books about zombies.

What I've read/heard of:

- World War Z (fascinating, fun, deeply flawed)
- Lilith Saintcrow's Roadtrip Z (platonic ideal imho)
- Mira Grant's zombie novels
- Girl with all the gifts
- White Trash Zombie series by Rowland
- Zone One

Specifically I'm in the mood for generic "zombies are breaking out / have broken out, and now we must survive!", hopefully with a theme of humans teaming up. I'm down with series, kindle unlimited, anything, as long as it's cool zombies. (I'm also down for less generic stuff, but not as much?)

I'm also listening to Zombies, Run! on my iphone as a fitness app, and I adore zombie games ala Project Zomboid, State of Decay 2, Days Gone, and so on.

Not a novel, but Stephen King has a short story that takes place in a classic zombie apocalypse - Home Delivery, found in Nightmares and Dreamscapes

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thread, I want zombie survival novels. Zombie books. Books about zombies.

What I've read/heard of:

- World War Z (fascinating, fun, deeply flawed)
- Lilith Saintcrow's Roadtrip Z (platonic ideal imho)
- Mira Grant's zombie novels
- Girl with all the gifts
- White Trash Zombie series by Rowland
- Zone One

Specifically I'm in the mood for generic "zombies are breaking out / have broken out, and now we must survive!", hopefully with a theme of humans teaming up. I'm down with series, kindle unlimited, anything, as long as it's cool zombies. (I'm also down for less generic stuff, but not as much?)

I'm also listening to Zombies, Run! on my iphone as a fitness app, and I adore zombie games ala Project Zomboid, State of Decay 2, Days Gone, and so on.

Novelty option: Red Harvest, a goddamn Star Wars zombie novel. It's set in a sith academy in the Old Republic, and goes way the gently caress harder than you'd expect from a Star Wars publication. More of a horror book than a survival book, though.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 22, 2023

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sphere

Although that’s under the ocean.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tim Curran's Dead Sea. Very B-movie feel, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Call of Cthulhu

Boats of the Glenn Carrig

i mean i'll take low hanging fruit for $100 but still

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Call of Cthulhu

Boats of the Glenn Carrig

i mean i'll take low hanging fruit for $100 but still

I'd never heard of the second one and now I've downloaded it from Gutenberg, so tanks for aiming low

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks all

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I'd never heard of the second one and now I've downloaded it from Gutenberg, so tanks for aiming low

everything by William Hope Hodgson is worth reading. It's either brilliantly great (e.g., the main text of The Night Land) or brilliantly awful (the frame narrative of The Night Land).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

everything by William Hope Hodgson is worth reading. It's either brilliantly great (e.g., the main text of The Night Land) or brilliantly awful (the frame narrative of The Night Land).
I'd stay away from the Carnacki stories, those are just irredeemably dull.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

anilEhilated posted:

I'd stay away from the Carnacki stories, those are just irredeemably dull.

Well, at least they're short

I read those coming right off of reading Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which mentions Carnacki in a few places, so they had a bit of glow-by-association cast over them for me

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well, at least they're short

I read those coming right off of reading Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which mentions Carnacki in a few places, so they had a bit of glow-by-association cast over them for me

Yeah that's dull too so it's an easy transition.

At least the movie is OK.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I'm looking for a recommendation for my wife. What she reads today is mostly autobiographies or self-help / self-help-adjacent books, but she wants to try to get back into fiction. The last fiction series she read and really enjoyed was Harry Potter nearly two decades ago. So this may be a challenge.

Based on her likes / dislikes, I think a light-hearted romcom in a magical setting would be a good bet. Or maybe a high-level mystery / thriller where the stakes aren't too high. If it gets too in-the-weeds, serious, or grim-dark fantasy, she'll bounce off. I don't think she'd be opposed to YA, but she did express wanting to try adult fiction.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I also prefer lighter fiction, so here are some of my recommendations:

The Goblin Emperor. A nice, sedate book about personal growth amid court politics in a low-fantasy setting. Standalone, with disconnected sequels in the same setting.

Fortune's Pawn . A neat mashup of Firefly, HALO, and steamy romance novel. First book in a three part series.

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet. Also Firefly, but more about found family. Stands on it's own, but has sequels.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for my wife. What she reads today is mostly autobiographies or self-help / self-help-adjacent books, but she wants to try to get back into fiction. The last fiction series she read and really enjoyed was Harry Potter nearly two decades ago. So this may be a challenge.

Based on her likes / dislikes, I think a light-hearted romcom in a magical setting would be a good bet. Or maybe a high-level mystery / thriller where the stakes aren't too high. If it gets too in-the-weeds, serious, or grim-dark fantasy, she'll bounce off. I don't think she'd be opposed to YA, but she did express wanting to try adult fiction.

Piranesi

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Hell yeah this is the rec

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Bandiet posted:

The answer should be All These Years by Mark Lewisohn, but there is currently only one volume, taking us to the end of 1962 (in 1700 pages). Still, Lewisohn is by far the most comprehensive Beatles-writer alive, and maybe the next volume will be out by the time you're ready for it.

So I got it and it's a lot to take in but just what I asked for. Tyvm!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

I've recently been rereading the Penric and Desdemona series by Lois McMaster Bujold so I will throw my rec in for that. You don't really see any romance in the first few books but they're short, fun, but with some occasional serious undertones.

For more modern UF style- maybe the Riley Thorn series by Lucy Score. Contemporary mystery romance with supernatural elements (psychics and ghosts).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

For what it's worth, I recently recommended Holly Black's Elfhame books (The Cruel Prince et al) to my wife, and she devoured them and went looking for more. They're kind of short on the "light-hearted" side, although not so far as to be grimdark.

Another possibility: Stardust.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Selachian posted:

For what it's worth, I recently recommended Holly Black's Elfhame books (The Cruel Prince et al) to my wife, and she devoured them and went looking for more. They're kind of short on the "light-hearted" side, although not so far as to be grimdark.

Another possibility: Stardust.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Man you just described like half of the light novel genre. I'm not versed enough in light novels to be able to offer any firm recommendations, but if there's a light novel thread go ask in there and you will get so many recommendations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Not sure if this is what you mean but I'm enjoying Legends & Lattes more than expected. It is fun, wholesome, cozy and breezy.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Has she read Terry Pratchett? She might like the Tiffany Aching series especially.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Howdy!

Recently I've been doing some writing involving psychedelic experiences that also tend to focus on the character's body, or I guess you could call it embodied experience. I'm looking for poetry/prose for inspiration because I feel like my writing is... lacking when it comes to these kinds of states. I've done psychedelics before, but there's a kind of... language breakdown in trying to translate my own experience in to text, Just to clarify, I'm not looking for poetry/prose about or inspired by psychedelics, I'm looking more for poetry/prose that captures something about the psychedelic state. It doesn't have to be "trippy" or any such adjective, just perhaps describing things in an abstract way.

Likewise with the body. This project I've been working on deals a lot with the reality of being embodied/having a body in space time and the sort of little details we don't really think about due to say, having a disability (I'm disabled if it matters, and this is something I'm kind of struggling to get across in text is that sort of fundamental difference of bodily experience.)

I realize this is a vague post but I'm happy to clarify. I'll take anything in the ballpark. Thank you for reading and I appreciate any suggestions!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

magic cactus posted:

Howdy!

Recently I've been doing some writing involving psychedelic experiences that also tend to focus on the character's body, or I guess you could call it embodied experience. I'm looking for poetry/prose for inspiration because I feel like my writing is... lacking when it comes to these kinds of states. I've done psychedelics before, but there's a kind of... language breakdown in trying to translate my own experience in to text, Just to clarify, I'm not looking for poetry/prose about or inspired by psychedelics, I'm looking more for poetry/prose that captures something about the psychedelic state. It doesn't have to be "trippy" or any such adjective, just perhaps describing things in an abstract way.

Likewise with the body. This project I've been working on deals a lot with the reality of being embodied/having a body in space time and the sort of little details we don't really think about due to say, having a disability (I'm disabled if it matters, and this is something I'm kind of struggling to get across in text is that sort of fundamental difference of bodily experience.)

I realize this is a vague post but I'm happy to clarify. I'll take anything in the ballpark. Thank you for reading and I appreciate any suggestions!

Its not poetry or prose, but "True Hallucinations" by Terrance McKenna might be of help/interest to you. It's an interesting read regardless.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Kvlt! posted:

Its not poetry or prose, but "True Hallucinations" by Terrance McKenna might be of help/interest to you. It's an interesting read regardless.

Likewise "Storming Heaven" by Jay Stevens, also, Blake?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Not fiction, but you might like John Lilly's The Center of the Cyclone, which is about his experiments in "reprogramming" his brain with psychedelics.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Selachian posted:

Not fiction, but you might like John Lilly's The Center of the Cyclone, which is about his experiments in "reprogramming" his brain with psychedelics.

Kvlt! posted:

yaffle posted:

Likewise "Storming Heaven" by Jay Stevens, also, Blake?

I've actually read everything here apart from Blake, is there any recommendations where I might start with his writings?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

magic cactus posted:

I've actually read everything here apart from Blake, is there any recommendations where I might start with his writings?

I guess "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" would be most connected with psychedelics, but you should read "Songs of Innocence and Experience" as well, just because.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

yaffle posted:

I guess "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" would be most connected with psychedelics, but you should read "Songs of Innocence and Experience" as well, just because.

I'll check it out. I'm unfortunately woefully under-educated when it comes to poetry, so I appreciate anything remotely in the ballpark. Thanks for the suggestion!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hey TBB, can anyone point me in the direction of any notable fiction books that are almost exclusively world-building, instead of character-focused stories?

I'm an artist and I have a fictional setting I've been developing and iterating on for years, but ultimately I don't know what to "do" with it. I'm far more interested in developing the world itself than telling stories set within it about the characters that fill it up which has made it difficult to package into a thing that can be delivered to an audience in a fun way (like a novel or graphic novel or whatever). So I'm looking for examples of storytelling that primarily tell you about a place, rather than telling you a chronological linear story set within that place, if that makes sense. Ideally something that's completely standalone as opposed to e.g. The Silmarillion which fleshes out the world that existing stories are set in, but I'm up for that stuff too because I just want some inspiration for ways of delivering a story that consists of pure world-building rather than character-based narrative.

e: The Codex Seraphinianus is one of my all-time favorite things, for what it's worth, and I'm familiar with the Voynich Manuscript, but I'm particularly interested in more traditional storytelling rather than surreal art cryptography stuff.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 31, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities is the obvious "book about setting" rec, although it's about a lot of different settings.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

He writes a lot of character stuff too but I absolutely love Nathan Ballingrud's world building

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

Hey TBB, can anyone point me in the direction of any notable fiction books that are almost exclusively world-building, instead of character-focused stories?

Here's a few off the top my head:

Dunsany's Gods of Pegana

Austin Tappan Wright's Islandia

Olaf Stapledon's Last and First Men and Star Maker

Jean D'Ormesson's The Glory of the Empire

Milorad Pavić's Dictionary of the Khazars

Ursula Le Guin's Always Coming Home

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

My memory is fuzzy but I believe Jan Morris's Hav fits the bill. Also for an interesting interpretation of character worldbuilding check out Pessoa's Book of Disquiet. I am playing fast and loose with the term "worldbuilding" here though so YMMV.

Edit seconding what fez_,machine wrote.

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 31, 2023