Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

They…put wii waggle controls in their horror game!?

Hoping Dead Space competition has them push this down to $40 cause it looks like my jam.

I got it for $44 at GameStop so if you aren’t opposed to discs maybe try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Infinite Warfare Zero-G sniper mission ftw

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i don't have a ps5 yet, but a friend of mine just gifted me a returnal preorder on steam for my birthday. pretty excited for it!

i know returnal does some funky stuff with the dual sense controller, has sony brought that functionality to their other ps5 ports? would it be worth grabbing one?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

EightFlyingCars posted:

i know returnal does some funky stuff with the dual sense controller, has sony brought that functionality to their other ps5 ports? would it be worth grabbing one?

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Controller:DualSense#Games_with_adaptive_trigger_and_haptic_feedback_support

Yeah Returnal should still support it

acksplode
May 17, 2004

EightFlyingCars posted:

i don't have a ps5 yet, but a friend of mine just gifted me a returnal preorder on steam for my birthday. pretty excited for it!

Yeah I think all the dualsense features have been carried over in PC ports of Sony games. Only caveat is that you have to be plugged in over USB. Also some third party games have support, like Dying Light 2 and Metro Exodus and Deathloop. Worth picking one up IMO, especially for Returnal which is one of the standout implementations of haptics and adaptive triggers.

Whoah that list is a lot longer than I thought. I had no idea about Plague Tail 2 and MW2

acksplode fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 25, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Only January and the goty had already shown up (2016’s call of duty infinite warfare)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

I got it for $44 at GameStop so if you aren’t opposed to discs maybe try that.

I completely forgot physical existed lol. First PS5 disc it is!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

One more tip for the Callisto dodge. If you do a perfect dodge, you get bullet time which leaves a window long enough for a heavy attack. The most reliable way to pull of a perfect dodge is to just kind of constantly wiggle the left stick back and forth in micro-movements. They won’t really chain, but the first dodge will pretty much be guaranteed to give bullet time with that method.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

All you journos out there feel free to quote this

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Best Buy notes for 1.24

Callisto now 50/40 bux, the waiters are vindicated
Valkyrie Elysium still full price, as are all Square games. Don't see that changing.
Babylon's Fall 59.99 whoa nelly

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
lol I forgot to say that when I was snooping around shoogaslim’s trophies for disco elysium, I saw that they got the trophy for sleeping in the dumpster on night two, which is a game over. I assumed that they had just soft locked the game or something when they had no money to pay for the room on the second night, but that makes it even funnier that it also gave them a trophy while losing two hours of progress.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

VideoGames posted:

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. :hai:

rebirth is "next winter" so while it's possible it could come out this year it's probably gonna be february or march '24 realistically

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

lmao

Augus fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 25, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Have there been any hints of Monster Hunter World 2? I put hundreds of hours into that and it deserves a follow up not Rise that smooths up the edges of the first foray into that type of game. If it's an Elden Ring style clone all the better.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lid posted:

Have there been any hints of Monster Hunter World 2? I put hundreds of hours into that and it deserves a follow up not Rise that smooths up the edges of the first foray into that type of game. If it's an Elden Ring style clone all the better.

nope i'm afraid Capcom has decided that the series is just not worth the investment anymore after by far the most critically and financially successful generation of monster hunter games. there will be no more monster hunters, ever

(they probably won't start talking about monster hunter 6 until after rise's title updates are done so wait for that)

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 25, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Capcom is killing the Monster Hunter and Resident Evil series to focus more energy on spyborgs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gotta say, I’m definitely not hating Callisto protocol so far. At least it looks nice and the combat is pretty chunky if not a bit weird. Don’t know how I’ll feel by the end but hey.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Gotta say, I’m definitely not hating Callisto protocol so far. At least it looks nice and the combat is pretty chunky if not a bit weird. Don’t know how I’ll feel by the end but hey.

I thought it was hard to hate the game, honestly, I had a good time. It looks and sounds incredible (I can't imagine missing out on the haptics on other platforms), and it has a few extremely memorable moments. Also I didn't find Two-Head to be an issue at all, took 2-3 tries tops. It's weird that they had to crunch so hard and spend so much money to get what I feel is just a template for a full game up and running. It could use a few more enemies and a few more ideas to beef it up rather than reusing so much content to pad the length, but overall a good time, it's just pretty conflicted from a design standpoint.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

this looks dumb as hell in the best way and now I'm very interested in it

It's been on my radar since TGS. It looks like a lot of fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMzONb1-CKg

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought it was hard to hate the game, honestly, I had a good time. It looks and sounds incredible (I can't imagine missing out on the haptics on other platforms), and it has a few extremely memorable moments. Also I didn't find Two-Head to be an issue at all, took 2-3 tries tops. It's weird that they had to crunch so hard and spend so much money to get what I feel is just a template for a full game up and running. It could use a few more enemies and a few more ideas to beef it up rather than reusing so much content to pad the length, but overall a good time, it's just pretty conflicted from a design standpoint.

The only major beef I have after about 90 minutes is that it commits the cardinal sin of dropping audio logs everywhere and then not letting you listen to them outside of the menus.

Edit: also the inventory sucks. Wish at least the junk items you can sell would stack

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 25, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

The only major beef I have after about 90 minutes is that it commits the cardinal sin of dropping audio logs everywhere and then not letting you listen to them outside of the menus.

Edit: also the inventory sucks. Wish at least the junk items you can sell would stack

Yeah, the inventory is kind of dumb, it does get a bit better later on. The audio logs are a total checkbox feature, none of them are worth listening to so def save yourself the trouble.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I was whinging about Ragnarok being a retread a couple of months ago but I've recently gotten back into the game and have really grown to enjoy it. Definitely a lot more going on than its predecessor in terms of builds/abilities and stuff like that and some extremely rad set pieces. Lots of sidequest stuff, too.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

imhotep posted:

lol I forgot to say that when I was snooping around shoogaslim’s trophies for disco elysium, I saw that they got the trophy for sleeping in the dumpster on night two, which is a game over. I assumed that they had just soft locked the game or something when they had no money to pay for the room on the second night, but that makes it even funnier that it also gave them a trophy while losing two hours of progress.

Wait haha really? I played it back on release, and one of the few criticisms I remember was that you COULD softlock yourself by not having enough money to pay for a bed on night 2 -- if you couldn't go to sleep, you'd eventually stop being able to progress time and could never get to day 3. I remember people saying they should go back and fix that somehow but I thought they'd just patch in a way to sleep for free, not actually make it give you a hard game over lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat, Hearts of Stone starts out really strong narratively.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Phenotype posted:

Wait haha really? I played it back on release, and one of the few criticisms I remember was that you COULD softlock yourself by not having enough money to pay for a bed on night 2 -- if you couldn't go to sleep, you'd eventually stop being able to progress time and could never get to day 3. I remember people saying they should go back and fix that somehow but I thought they'd just patch in a way to sleep for free, not actually make it give you a hard game over lol

Yeah I thought the same thing, but i saw that they had this trophy which was the only one they got that I didn’t get yet, so I looked it up https://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/disco-elysium-ps4/trophy/354706-real-musor.html

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I've read the reviews for Forspoken and they're not the best, but do you think it's worth renting? I have Gamefly and I'm just curious if it's even worth playing.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

John Yossarian posted:

I've read the reviews for Forspoken and they're not the best, but do you think it's worth renting? I have Gamefly and I'm just curious if it's even worth playing.

the demo is still available to download, you can try it to see if you like it

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

John Yossarian posted:

Seems safe enough. Either way it should be an interesting experience, I guess

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

PacoPepe posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=BykuAlQlSIw&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

New game from Mimimi, the devs that made Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3, which are straight up modernized "Commandos", looks pretty good!

Give me a Commandos 4 already drat it!

Along with a level editor or something available so I can download peoples levels!

Hell keep it Commandos 1/Beyond the Call of Duty expansion style, so you dont have to spin the camera around.

God I cannot convey how much I loved the poo poo out of those 2 games. Commandos 2 was also good, but I preferred the static camera view.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't buy this game, its servers shut down on February 27, 2023 and there is no offline mode. The game is actually really good, but Square-Enix sucks and they released it the same week as Elden Ring. Never buy a Games as a Service Square-Enix title, they all shut down or are abandoned between 6 months to 2 years. In fact just never buy a GaaS game period, its always been a bad idea, but many of them lately have been shutting down because game devs just can't afford to keep them running anymore due to inflation.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

that game sucked eggs from the start which is why nobody bought it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maybe at first, but it got way better with updates. But also there was zero marketing, and no one wanted it because Elden Ring. It didn't matter how good it released, Square-Enix intentionally torpedo'ed the game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I don't think it was Elden Ring that killed it, but being a :gas: game with the worst Platinum combat this side of Legend of Korra

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Well, it probably didn't help the game in anyway but yeah

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The combat for sure is not Platinums best, but that is a really high loving bar too. I mean, you get to attack with four loving weapons at the exact same time. It's still shallow, but it also looks and feels really cool.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

This kind of thing has been predictable since Fortnite and the rise of F2Ps. I'm not smart or articulate enough to put the info together, but unless a game is really good and a hit at launch and then stays good, it will die because everyone that plays these kinds of games is already playing these kinds of games and wants to play more of these kinds of games. You could be the motherfucking AVENGERS, if your game is poo poo it will die a quick death. They know itll be quick too, because, again, since the F2P boom, you know 2 weeks from a game release if it's dead (to be shut down later even though it's dead). I have lost track of the multiplayer games ive seen this happen in, both third and first person, in threads right here. 2 weeks. If you don't boom in 2 weeks, if you're not on twitch front page for a month, if you don't hit these popularity requirements for your style of game, it's dead and everyone knows it, a forspoken fact.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Publishers see what cash cows GAAS is for the big ones and want a piece of the pie for themselves, but the supply has already exceeded the demand. It's no different than Battle Royale or tacked on multiplayer in the 10s. Publishers will always want to emulate the hot new thing, but there has always only been room for a few of them. At this point if you want to make a GAAS game it better be pretty drat remarkable or it's doomed ,because the competition is way too much.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

John Yossarian posted:

I'm having fun with it. :shrug:

Game has lots of options you can tweak. I suggest turning off trigger effect entirely, though the rest of the dualsense haptics feel nice. I also swapped R2/R1 and L2/L1 since that often feels better to me for shooty stuff, and turned on auto-gather of items. If you like environmental traversal/parkour and strategic, acrobatic aerial souls combat the game has that in spades. Pacing/Narrative wise it feels like a lot of other offbeat Square games from the past decade (NieR, NieR Automata, Stranger of Paradise) where not all the pieces fit together into one polished seemless experience, but also it's just such a weird collection of ideas that it can feel unique and experimental like a PS2 game at times. Graphics are kind of all over the place, both incredible at times and also well, less so. What you'd expect from a development hell game on an unwieldy engine.

It's interesting to see what the Japanese perspective of New York is, odd and quaint even when it tries to be edgy. The game has snappy UI and great music/sound, sort of orchestral mixed with hip hop that spirals back to FF style chanting stuff. Frey is actually pretty cool, maybe a little chatty, the bracelet is whatever (I turned his dialog instances to minimum, but I kept it on english), and while the cringe is definitely there it kind of works in context better than the cynicism of social media would lead you to believe. The 'did I just do that?' thing that the internet is upset about is kind of a running gag that the game just leans into on multiple occasions, I dunno, it made me smirk.

It's a Japanese role playing game through and through, for better or worse. Prolly gonna be a cult hit simply because it's got an outsized offbeat personality compared to other poo poo out there, and it just feels great to run around in if that's your thing. Frey reminds me of Jack Garland, in a way, she's just kind of barbed and it works more often than not. Also there are crystals everywhere. If you're the type who responds to low metacritic scores for games like SoP and NieR by going outside and punching a boulder...well, you'll prolly like this game, it's really got its charms. Square is the AA developer we need right now. Bless this mess.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 25, 2023

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm pretty sure Square Enix's next gaas will the the one to be a breakout hit

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

veni veni veni posted:

Publishers see what cash cows GAAS is for the big ones and want a piece of the pie for themselves, but the supply has already exceeded the demand. It's no different than Battle Royale or tacked on multiplayer in the 10s. Publishers will always want to emulate the hot new thing, but there has always only been room for a few of them. At this point if you want to make a GAAS game it better be pretty drat remarkable or it's doomed ,because the competition is way too much.

I think the thing that IS different from the standard supply and demand now is that people are sticking to games, genres, styles, a lot more than they used to. I think the genre is saturated in the same sense, for example, as what happened with Guitar Hero. There's no real "new players" anymore. When i was growing up at 12, 13, Id pick up a new game, play the heck out of it, beat it, move on. Multiplayer games were a bit longer in the tooth too. People played Call of Duty 2 for like, the fall it came out in, then they got call of duty 3!

12 year olds today are seasoned battlepass judges, content creator followers, they know know the poo poo i didnt just browsing gameFAQs boards seeing what people are saying about this ps2 rpg.

Everyone is far more discerning of what game they're playing because games are commitment ecosystems now. If the story isn't as good, if the graphics arent as good, if the mechanics aren't good, they'll go back to the relevant living example of the genre that still is. As long as Apex Legends still churns out content, it will never die until the next f2p chara-based COD styled game but open world and with cod customizatiom dethrones it. Everything else is a fidget spinner until then. If you're not topping a big boy, you're not surviving anymore. You can't exist on your own unless your carve your own game lifestyle feel niche like Genshin. Innovate or die has never been realer in multiplayer dev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Wanted Dead is legit the first anime game I really really want to play. It looks fantastic. I’m a bit worried about the combat because a lot of those scenes had like 20 dudes with guns standing around doing nothing while she trashes one of their comrades with a sword. It’s either on easy mode or just arkham knight style but dumbed down. There are ways to do it so the player is rolling and dodging, countering many enemies at once without them blatantly just waiting their turn.

Lately I’ve been playing Gran Turismo 7 and I am in love with it. It’s all I think about. This game has taught me how to be a far better race game player already and I’m only on menu book 15 or so. I just can’t believe how intimately and passionately it teaches players how to do this right. And graduates the player from successively more difficult layers of practice so they improve in a slow, steady, and reliable manner. It’s amazing. It has a real love of cars and I can’t believe how much I’ve actually come to appreciate the artistry or tech behind some really basic bitch cars I took for granted.

I’m also kicking rear end with nearly all the assists off (still getting better at when to brake and how hard, but trailbraking and I are tight). I’m in the pp600s now and eeking out first place wins nearly every time. It’s the same feeling as beating a boss in sekiro and it’s rad as gently caress.

Forza always felt really boring, everything is just blasted into your face at once. And the whole overarching event festival thing was really loud and dumb. GT7 just exudes class, quality, and character.

Ok that’s my story. Man if I had a racing wheel… but I play on the couch and I just can’t see it happening.