Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Infinitum posted:

Maybe not as wild as EEAAO was, but I saw this trailer and I think it looks fun as hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRFM7HQmkH0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gaius Marius posted:

Venture Bro's and Xavier Renegade Angel are the foundation of both my humor, and my philosophical thought.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fallout TV series spoilers - Set photos

https://twitter.com/jcarson_nyack/status/1617702118986776578

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Good on them for using real sets, not sure why the world needed this show tho

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What tv shows does the world need atm?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A decent comedy that’s not a dramedy

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

A series based on the Reign of Terror with step by step guillotine instructions.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

For TV to die and be replaced by Film, or Better Fuel Huel, the sequel to breaking bad either or.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

X: The Threat

Just because no one says Khaak enough on tv

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jay Rust posted:

Gargoyles 2, Gargoyles Jr

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

And of course Venture Brothers to come back and welcome in a new golden age of human society

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Gargoyles 2, Gargoyles Jr

Gargoyle Babys

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m surprised the Venture Brothers and Metalocalypse movies survived the latest Warner cuts

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They should bring back Home Movies, Coach McGuirk is my role model and I need his guidance now more than ever.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Show me the dog. I want to see dogmeat

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
walter goggins is playing some kind of ghoul, i didnt plan on watching it but thats great fallout ghoul casting ill give it a shot

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

VideoGames avoided the bad ending in SOTN completely by accident, no one else has any excuse.

I found a neat weapon early on that did double damage to an enemy type (I think) and when I fought Richter it did nothing to him at all but did do stuff to the orb, so I just assumed he had a shield I needed to beat first.

My luck wins again! :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaius Marius posted:

not sure why the world needed this show tho

Khanstant posted:

walter goggins is playing some kind of ghoul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmd3SejK_so&t=19s

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Somebody update the wiki, Xenogears also has incorrect usage of the word decimate.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i played the forspoken demo and the combat was fun, or, it was easy and you could mash just about anything and win safely but flashy magicy stuff was going on, but hard to really tell since they start you off with what might not be your baseline power for a long time and i was still learning it so don't know how fun/boring it would be long term. they grade you each combat and I guess I was getting the hang of it towards the end as my grades improved gradually. It's got Open World and everything that comes with that game design, whatever fine, but the dialogue is constantly negging the game and being pretty down about both characters.

With great frequency after combat, they'd repeat some banter about how easy and pointless the combat was, straight up evaluating that content as pointless. weird vibe to have fun in combat and then immediately after the game is literally voicing "that was boring, easy, pointless." Plus it very much was pointful, actual numerical points, seemed like I got some XP, advanced whatever skill-quest system, and a treasure chest with something in it I assume I'd want in the real game, but maybe not and they're giving me a heads up lol. i think if it weren't 70 bucks I might've bought it if they didn't poo poo on their own game so much, videogames are pointless as everything but when the game is saying it's pointless just shifts the mindset, both in thinking "oh yeah maybe should go something else than this meaningless game i'll see the credits for in XX hours if i press the shapes and move the sticks."

lastly -1 point for treasure chests you open and then afterwards have to pickup the item in a 3rd person action rpg. gimme da loot when i kick it open or don't put things in chest.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the common complaint i've seen from negative forspoken reviews is that frey deflates every single moment of triumph or wonder, like she gripes nonstop about how she doesn't want to complete the main quest and constantly finds the worst possible thing to comment on when she runs across truly exotic locations

just feels like the most cynical nonsense writing possible where they thought that making the heroine act like she doesn't give a poo poo about anything is endearing or witty and not simply irritating and tiresome

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Khanstant posted:

With great frequency after combat, they'd repeat some banter about how easy and pointless the combat was, straight up evaluating that content as pointless. weird vibe to have fun in combat and then immediately after the game is literally voicing "that was boring, easy, pointless."

i only really got that commentary from easier fights, frey was proud of or exhausted by harder fights. and i didn't take it as making GBS threads on the game just being cocky about dispatching trash mobs.

but overall i didn't like the banter much. open world games are usually lonely adventures, so i like the idea, but they missed the mark here. at least for my taste.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I might buy elden ring today

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

the common complaint i've seen from negative forspoken reviews is that frey deflates every single moment of triumph or wonder, like she gripes nonstop about how she doesn't want to complete the main quest and constantly finds the worst possible thing to comment on when she runs across truly exotic locations

just feels like the most cynical nonsense writing possible where they thought that making the heroine act like she doesn't give a poo poo about anything is endearing or witty and not simply irritating and tiresome

According to the Polygon review there's a secret ending where she jumps at the first chance to go home and leaves the magical realm to its doom which they said arguably fit her character far more than the "true" ending.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

verbal enema posted:

It's pretty good. One of the top 3 games of last year.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

verbal enema posted:

I believe it comes highly recommended.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Khanstant posted:

Seems like cutting Blizzard would just compel gamers to seek refuge in other games, possibly domestic titles as a bonus.

Incidentally, here’s a new game from Tencent:

https://youtu.be/tvIaIscbQ-I

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Custard Undies posted:

First thoughts on Forspoken. I feel like i'm playing a game by Spiders, not sure why but a few of the character models are just giving me vibes of Greedfall.

It's ok so far, after a few hours, but I haven't really progressed far to get into any of the actual meat of the game.

It takes a bit to clear up the tutorial, once they let you free though you can really play any way you want.

Khanstant posted:

i played the forspoken demo and the combat was fun, or, it was easy and you could mash just about anything and win safely but flashy magicy stuff was going on, but hard to really tell since they start you off with what might not be your baseline power for a long time and i was still learning it so don't know how fun/boring it would be long term. they grade you each combat and I guess I was getting the hang of it towards the end as my grades improved gradually. It's got Open World and everything that comes with that game design, whatever fine, but the dialogue is constantly negging the game and being pretty down about both characters.

The dialogue picks up a bit after the intro and the game is quirky, with cool action and nice audio, art direction, and haptics. I put it in the same bag as Stranger of Paradise, somewhat odd, experimental, and not for everyone, but I think it's genuinely a good time. I don't regret the purchase. Square games are cool.

Khanstant posted:

With great frequency after combat, they'd repeat some banter about how easy and pointless the combat was, straight up evaluating that content as pointless. weird vibe to have fun in combat and then immediately after the game is literally voicing "that was boring, easy, pointless."

Yeah, you can turn that off pretty much entirely, and you should. The game has a lot of options. I've been wandering around the world cleaning up trash-mobs on Hard and doing spinning jump shots and its just me, the open world, and the music. It's nice.

Khanstant posted:

lastly -1 point for treasure chests you open and then afterwards have to pickup the item in a 3rd person action rpg. gimme da loot when i kick it open or don't put things in chest.

Auto pick up is in the options.

Vermain posted:

She went to the school of Jack Garland.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
edit: ^^^the difference with Forspoken lady and Garland is that even though he's a huge nu-metal dweeb, he's still 100% earnest (like all huge nu-metal dweebs should be).

Vermain posted:

Obvs a lot of people are griping about the Marvel/Whedonification of it all, but I thought Austin Walker put what that means into words quite well (which is also the problem I've had with Marvel films) - that essentially its written as if its embarrassed by its own genre trappings. Like, the quips are there to let you, a cool person who beats up nerds, know that the people making the thing also recognise it's stupid nonsense for dork idiots, and that they're actually cool too. So just as in Marvel, you get the main character in this constantly stopping to cringe at anything that might be a genre trope, even though those tropes are usually the foundation of why people enjoy those genres in the first place.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 25, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

Obvs a lot of people are griping about the Marvel/Whedonification of it all, but I thought Austin Walker put what that means into words quite well (which is also the problem I've had with Marvel films) - that essentially its written as if its embarrassed by its own genre trappings. Like, the quips are there to let you, a cool person who beats up nerds, know that the people making the thing also recognise it's stupid nonsense for dork idiots, and that they're actually cool too. So just as in Marvel, you get the main character in this constantly stopping to cringe at anything that might be a genre trope, even though those tropes are usually the foundation of why people enjoy those genres in the first place.

I dunno, sure, maybe. In Forspoken it's just her character arc. She's a homeless street urchin who is distrustful of people and their motives. :shrug:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

verbal enema posted:

Thinking of starting over and going with the most basic cookie cutter range build for 'easy mode'

Itzena posted:

Incidentally, here’s a new game from Tencent:

https://youtu.be/tvIaIscbQ-I

Curious to see how it'll actually look, other than the straight asset rips going on for a CG trailer.

Think the whole situation boiled down to how them wanting more money, which is fair enough.
I want to say it looks like ABK is improving, and the Microsoft deal should further imrpove things? Cause yeah Dragonflight rocks, but gently caress me it's hard to recommend

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I dunno, sure, maybe. In Forspoken it's just her character arc. She's a homeless street urchin who is distrustful of people and their motives. :shrug:

I mean, you can earnestly write a character who is cynical. The tone of the writing isn't the result of some forced hand based on the character or their backstory.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All right, this is getting old. To me it seems like everyone’s opinions about the game have already been Spokenfor.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

I mean, you can earnestly write a character who is cynical. The tone of the writing isn't the result of some forced hand based on the character or their backstory.

I'm just saying a lot of it comes off better when it's not decontextualized in a 30 second tweet. Her voice acting is pretty solid all in all, it's the odd mocap that kind of makes things weird at times. But yeah, turn all the battle dialogue off imo. Game is cool, it's sort of too bad the internet has made up its mind.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

All right, this is getting old. To me it seems like everyone’s opinions about the game have already been Spokenfor.

Now these are the kinds of quips modern genre media needs. Less "did that just happen" and more jokes in the style of bygone stand-ups with a stack of cue cards, a rented tux and a drink problem

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Stranger of Paradise? I barely knew her of paradise!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Game is cool, it's sort of too bad the internet has made up its mind.

we're all occasionally guilty of this

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rinkles posted:

we're all occasionally guilty of this

I def laughed at C2077. Played that game 6 months later and it was awesome. I very publicly mea culpa'd that poo poo.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I hope it's bad in a MST3K sorta way, cause those are the best PS+ games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jay Rust posted:

Arcane