Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Wondermoose posted:

[insanely sick paint jobs]

Oh well, they're gaming pieces, not display pieces.
lmao gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

Krataar posted:

Assuming I have all the paints, what paints would you use and how to accomplish this? Or something close to it? My fiance is attempting her first models and I am trying to help her and make sure they come out well.

If you don't mind listening to a lurker who finally decided to :justpost:, I might be able to help here.

I tried my hand recreating that scheme in impcat, and I got it as close as I possibly can. I also compared the paints with screencaps of the colors on actual models, and I used firsthand experience where I could. Keep in mind what the others up-thread said about trying to recreate colors on a screen in real life however, because it's almost never going to work out exactly the same way.

1. You will want to prime black

2. For the emerald green robes I was able to get something that looked like an exact match, It went as follows:
Caliban green -> Nuln Oil -> Kabalite green -> Sybarite green

Vulcan green might also work as a base color instead of Caliban green, but Incubi darkness is far too blue in tone. Drakenhof nightshade or Coelia greenshade could be potential alternatives to the Nuln oil for the wash and would likely produce a slightly more blueish tone, but I am far less familiar with those two washes. You will likely have to rely heavily on mixing in the Kabalite green to the other colors for color transition when highlighting.

3. For the brown it goes something like this:
Mournfang brown -> Skrag brown -> Agrax earthshade -> Skrag brown again -> Deathclaw brown

I can't quite tell if Skrag brown or Deathclaw brown should be the dominant color at the end, but it definitely seems like one of those two.

4. The black armor has a browner tone to it than most black armor. This was the color I was least certain of, but I got something pretty close.
Abaddon black (or any other normal black really) -> Dryad bark -> Nuln oil -> Dryad bark again, focused towards the upper segments of the armor-> Very thin edge highlights of Baneblade brown.

Every other part of the model seems unedited compared to the box art scheme and are fairly standard colors that shouldn't require too much experimentation. So you can just follow the steps given on the box, the store page, or some other guides for gunmetal/copper/white/brown leather/skin respectively.

Definitely take all the above with a pinch of salt, but I hope it helps all the same.

Wondermoose
Aug 17, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

Extremely sick tartan.

On that note, what blues and oranges did you use? They're both poppin'.

Thank you. The orange is Kimera Orange highlighted with ProAcryl orange. The turquoise is ProAcryl Jade highlighted with VGC Jade. Glaze of Rhinox Hide in the shadows of the tartans.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

on a different tangent, I'm following a set of directions that say "paint cloak, shade cloak but don't let it pool. relayer up high parts, but don't repaint cavities, by thinning your paint and working up to the original paint color"

I got to the "shade cloak but don't let it pool" but the relayering is not great. there is a hard line between the shade and the already thinned paint. Do I just have to....go even thinner? :thunk: I don't really understand how to get that hard line out. I'm guessing I just have to thin the paint till it barely makes any sort of color and work up from there, but that seems tedious

Looking at some youtubes, I see this person going about it slightly differently, but even still there's some hard lines there. Do you make the hard lines anyways but then give it a (in this case, red) wash over it to smooth it out? But that will just darken it back up again so it sounds like square one to me

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 25, 2023

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

After reading about Gaslands earlier in this thread, I immediately went out and got myself a hot wheels like a mysteriously self-sufficient 8 year old. It was a bitch to take apart but I'm really happy with how the final product came out.

maybe went a little too hard on the weathering but I suppose it fits the setting

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

on a different tangent, I'm following a set of directions that say "paint cloak, shade cloak but don't let it pool. relayer up high parts, but don't repaint cavities, by thinning your paint and working up to the original paint color"

I got to the "shade cloak but don't let it pool" but the relayering is not great. there is a hard line between the shade and the already thinned paint. Do I just have to....go even thinner? :thunk: I don't really understand how to get that hard line out. I'm guessing I just have to thin the paint till it barely makes any sort of color and work up from there, but that seems tedious

Looking at some youtubes, I see this person going about it slightly differently, but even still there's some hard lines there. Do you make the hard lines anyways but then give it a (in this case, red) wash over it to smooth it out? But that will just darken it back up again so it sounds like square one to me
Yeah, either go very thin, or highlight with a different color. Your original color might not work very well as a first highlight after shading, but you can glaze over it with a red to reduce the contrast a bit.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

arsenicCatnip posted:

maybe went a little too hard on the weathering

absolutely not, it's :krad:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve always had the same struggle with drapery. I find the more layers I put in the less it stands out/ the less I care about it :shrug:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

arsenicCatnip posted:

After reading about Gaslands earlier in this thread, I immediately went out and got myself a hot wheels like a mysteriously self-sufficient 8 year old. It was a bitch to take apart but I'm really happy with how the final product came out.

maybe went a little too hard on the weathering but I suppose it fits the setting

Hell yes! It looks awesome and I'm so happy that my pic got someone to make a car too. It's so much fun to make them

What did you use for the tube coming out the back?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Iden Versio and some nameless nerds

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

a7m2 posted:

Hell yes! It looks awesome and I'm so happy that my pic got someone to make a car too. It's so much fun to make them

What did you use for the tube coming out the back?

cut it off a Zaku axe I had lying around. I've got a lot of Gundam parts laying around that make great kitbashing material, especially for transformers

Count Thrashula posted:

looks great, especially the faces.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Link to their band camp? TIA

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I’ve always had the same struggle with drapery. I find the more layers I put in the less it stands out/ the less I care about it :shrug:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one

I've been listening to more Hobby Cheating videos recently, I thought he was condescending at first and now giving it a second try, most of these aren't, he just speaks with a lot of "mm-kay?" that I read a lot as sarcastic or bored, like you'd see from educators who are just there because they have to, and when the teacher is lacking emotion it's hard for me to connect. But, he does crack jokes and through those you can see he actually cares, he's just not very emotive otherwise and that I think is why I dismissed them. Regardless of all that they're pretty helpful, so far.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Vince has a few more philosophy-ish videos where his passion and enthusiasm come through a bit clearer. He's not a natural youtube personality but I prefer that than someone doing an elaborate skit with different characters.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

Vince has a few more philosophy-ish videos where his passion and enthusiasm come through a bit clearer. He's not a natural youtube personality but I prefer that than someone doing an elaborate skit with different characters.

The skit makes it more memorable for me, like he's friends with Jon and Miniac, both of whom I enjoy (Jon > Miniac) but there's others that I just can't really stand, like Tabletop Minions where he's just waxing philosophy all the time. I can't really watch his videos directly because of that but also it looks like his nose is constantly sweaty which is distracting. But I digress, I'm coming around on Vince, it's just taking a dozen videos and time before appreciating it properly.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The main thing to keep in mind is that Vince is an Ohioan. You might not understand, but I know what that can do to a man

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

The main thing to keep in mind is that Vince is an Ohioan. You might not understand, but I know what that can do to a man

The only thing I know about Ohio is "haha you're in ohio you'll never leave" jokes

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Vince is rigorous, straightforward, sparse on strong opinions, and really knows his poo poo. I can forgive him for some mild gooniness. Been watching some Trovarion lately too and you can tell by his dabbling in sculpture and photoshop that he's a practiced artist but he's got some hater in his veins that leads to algorithm bait here and there.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The worst thing about Vince is that he pronounces "decal" like a loving madman. I don't know if it's an Ohio thing or a bit but it sounds insane.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

rantmo posted:

The worst thing about Vince is that he pronounces "decal" like a loving madman. I don't know if it's an Ohio thing or a bit but it sounds insane.

He does it on purpose as a joke IIRC.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Lumpy posted:

He does it on purpose as a joke IIRC.

That does make it slightly better.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Marx Headroom posted:

Vince is rigorous, straightforward, sparse on strong opinions, and really knows his poo poo. I can forgive him for some mild gooniness. Been watching some Trovarion lately too and you can tell by his dabbling in sculpture and photoshop that he's a practiced artist but he's got some hater in his veins that leads to algorithm bait here and there.

I've decided I don't care about most algorithm bating stuff anymore. Unless you already have an insane sub count you kind of need to do it if you want to get into the space. There's obviously a line, like that ninjon guys thumbnails are so unbelievably obnoxious I can't actually bring myself to watch his videos but as far as engagement titles, big red circles/arrows... whatever. It's personal taste I guess.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I've decided I don't care about most algorithm bating stuff anymore. Unless you already have an insane sub count you kind of need to do it if you want to get into the space. There's obviously a line, like that ninjon guys thumbnails are so unbelievably obnoxious I can't actually bring myself to watch his videos but as far as engagement titles, big red circles/arrows... whatever. It's personal taste I guess.

My problem with them is when the pendulum swings to full capitalism. I remember ninjon talking about golden paints. I found them at blick for a fraction of the price of Amazon. I get that affiliate links make them money, but when you're deleting comments and just all in on the 'money above all' I'm less inclined to believe a damned thing.

Same with the guys that got in deep with speed paints. They're fine, but then overlooking issues for the sale of the dollar makes their stuff an instant drop for me.

Faust's painting clinic has been great, and I do like him revisiting the same concept multiple times over years because you can approaching glazing in different ways as you learn to mix techniques, and he does a good job of showing the different iterations and uses of techniques as a result. And since there's no face cam, I never have to worry about wierd click bait or skits. Him and Vince and great for learning, even high level techniques.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ravus Ursus posted:

My problem with them is when the pendulum swings to full capitalism. I remember ninjon talking about golden paints. I found them at blick for a fraction of the price of Amazon. I get that affiliate links make them money, but when you're deleting comments and just all in on the 'money above all' I'm less inclined to believe a damned thing.

Same with the guys that got in deep with speed paints. They're fine, but then overlooking issues for the sale of the dollar makes their stuff an instant drop for me.

Faust's painting clinic has been great, and I do like him revisiting the same concept multiple times over years because you can approaching glazing in different ways as you learn to mix techniques, and he does a good job of showing the different iterations and uses of techniques as a result. And since there's no face cam, I never have to worry about wierd click bait or skits. Him and Vince and great for learning, even high level techniques.

I basically use Vince to try and learn more advanced techniques, and Sonic Sledgehammer for "Here's how to get something decent fast". Anyone else I watch tends to be for the same reason I watch like Baumgartner Restoration - just to watch someone work and talk about a process that likely I'll never apply to anything.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ravus Ursus posted:

Yeah but that's the whole thing with any kind of teaching medium like that. You as a smart person don't see Alton Brown using a specific brand's knife and activate the neuron to go buy it on Amazon, right?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ravus Ursus posted:

My problem with them is when the pendulum swings to full capitalism. I remember ninjon talking about golden paints. I found them at blick for a fraction of the price of Amazon.

yeah, I cancelled my amazon prime sub and I'm trying to wean myself off that convenience because you do end up paying more for stuff on amazon as a whole

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ravus Ursus posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Like we're people commenting on a youtube video that you can buy the paints cheaper off not-amazon and he was deleting those comments? Or something else?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Anyone used those THC paints?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

don't smoke the paints

I tried again with the cloaks and I think it came out...better maybe? I tried taking a picture with my camera but it looked about the same when it doesn't IRL. I guess I'll keep cracking at it :shrug:

protomexican
May 1, 2009
I've been applying some decals to spehhs mureen pauldrons, and Micro Sol is magic and making the process not nearly as unpleasant as everyone says it is. But what about Sol's brother, Micro Set? If I'm applying varnish before and after the decal, I don't understand the point of having yet another clear colorless liquid on my very cluttered painting desk.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah but that's the whole thing with any kind of teaching medium like that. You as a smart person don't see Alton Brown using a specific brand's knife and activate the neuron to go buy it on Amazon, right?

That's probably accurate, I can't think of any other hobby I'm involved in off the top of my head that has a place for that kind of branding. Like my coffee and and cooking stuff tends to either be pretty strict about product recommendations and make a point to source the best pricing regardless of brand or source, or they're effectively brand agnostic, though I've deffo seen some people going all in on their own bespoke middle grade junk.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Like we're people commenting on a youtube video that you can buy the paints cheaper off not-amazon and he was deleting those comments? Or something else?

Exactly that, dude was deleting comments directly into people to cheaper alternatives instead of going "hey if you want to support be, I get something if you buy it here, but if money is an issue there's an alternative"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

yeah, I cancelled my amazon prime sub and I'm trying to wean myself off that convenience because you do end up paying more for stuff on amazon as a whole

You would be surprised how, even beyond the shipping, stuff on Amazon typically isn't the cheapest. I dumped prime over a year ago and without it, anything I resort to prime for still arrives within a week. But looking up stuff I had wish listed on prime led me to a number of place that were just outright cheaper. Hell, target gives you a flat 5% if you have their credit card. For crafting stuff, places like blick.com are great to get artist items that aren't price blaoted because it's "specially made for mini painters"

Dropping Amazon just meant I become more critical about whether or not I needed something, and that one extra step added to the compulsive 'buy stuff' way of thinking was enough to break that habit.

Also I had way less cardboard box waste just piling up.]

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
most of the pommy warhammer painters on YouTube are much more watchable than the seppos. below are my reviews (not exhaustive) - no, I am not a nutjob

Vince - always gas a big titty angel on his pc during his intros. has big sexually repressed catholic vibes and him holding court with his nimrod aos mates for his podcast is painful. like an inverse stoner older brother impressing his younger sibling's friends. Decent tutorials but he comes off as condescending.

Dana howl - had interesting videos doing different things that I would regularly watch but she pivoted to being a Speed Paints shill. paint reactivation is good, don't cha know?

Midwinter minis - one of the most punchable faces on YouTube and is weirdly popular.

Pete the wargamer - love the kitbashing and he is a good boy.

Cult of paint - different painting styles from different painters, no gimmicks and the culture of paint discussions are interesting and good to listen to while painting

miniac- lol what a fuckwit

ninjon - skip the first minute, OK videos that would be better without the skits and click bait titles. All his 'painting journey' talk feels like weight loss ads or a year 9 book report or something.

Marco - superb videos, explains concepts well and my gf always laughs at his accent

Richard Gray - also superb and has some interesting techniques. he gets to be referenced a lot by other painters but doesn't have a massive profile.

Duncan - would like to have a beer with him

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Big Willy Style posted:

Marco - superb videos, explains concepts well and my gf always laughs at his accent

What is his accent?

I feel like someone took an Italian and stuck them deep Gaelic Ireland and taught them English. I love the dude but when he speaks I feel like I'm on a aural acid trip.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Marco sounds like he's doing a very silly Dracula impression.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ravus Ursus posted:

What is his accent?

He sounds like every single Italian I've interacted with at work

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I love whenever a goon complains that someone has a very punchable face because it always comes off as the most wannabe tough guy poo poo ever

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Big Willy Style posted:

most of the pommy warhammer painters on YouTube are much more watchable than the seppos. below are my reviews (not exhaustive) - no, I am not a nutjob

Vince - always gas a big titty angel on his pc during his intros. has big sexually repressed catholic vibes and him holding court with his nimrod aos mates for his podcast is painful. like an inverse stoner older brother impressing his younger sibling's friends. Decent tutorials but he comes off as condescending.

Dana howl - had interesting videos doing different things that I would regularly watch but she pivoted to being a Speed Paints shill. paint reactivation is good, don't cha know?

Midwinter minis - one of the most punchable faces on YouTube and is weirdly popular.

Pete the wargamer - love the kitbashing and he is a good boy.

Cult of paint - different painting styles from different painters, no gimmicks and the culture of paint discussions are interesting and good to listen to while painting

miniac- lol what a fuckwit

ninjon - skip the first minute, OK videos that would be better without the skits and click bait titles. All his 'painting journey' talk feels like weight loss ads or a year 9 book report or something.

Richard Gray - also superb and has some interesting techniques. he gets to be referenced a lot by other painters but doesn't have a massive profile.

Duncan - would like to have a beer with him

These are all very accurate. Ninjon especially, with his saccharine messaging that comes off as insanely phony.

Watching Richard Gray made me level up almost overnight. I followed his tutorial on quick blood angels for my word bearers and they’re some of the best minis I’ve painted

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Verisimilidude posted:

These are all very accurate. Ninjon especially, with his saccharine messaging that comes off as insanely phony.

Watching Richard Gray made me level up almost overnight. I followed his tutorial on quick blood angels for my word bearers and they’re some of the best minis I’ve painted

Got your first guy there in my inspiration folder - I could recognize him from space, love that color.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Ravus Ursus posted:

What is his accent?

I feel like someone took an Italian and stuck them deep Gaelic Ireland and taught them English. I love the dude but when he speaks I feel like I'm on a aural acid trip.

Isn't that the nail on the head? P sure he's mentioned he lives in Dublin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

MarcioFrisoniNJM? That's definitely not a Dublin accent. He almost sounds french to me? Or like someone making fun of the french?