Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Label makers are kinda awesome so I don't blame you. I'd have to swap labels on a bay anytime I swapped the drive in it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I just keep a spreadsheet in Google Docs and use a grid arranged like the drive bays in my server / DAS, with a drive model number and serial number in each cell.

This but I also log the vendor, order number, and purchase date. Cells are cheap. I had planned to bust out my Dymo and label the drives, but WD puts the serial numbers on the front of Reds, and TrueNAS makes it easy to view serial numbers.

a skeleton
Jul 29, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

e:

Did you ever get these in and test them? I am in the market :v:

No I haven't managed to find the time to start messing with anything since I got back from the holidays.

I had read the same thing IOwnCalculus posted. I had the same thought process you had; that maybe the processor would support it. I don't know if that requirement is locked to the CPU itself, the motherboard or HPE just being that way.

I took a gamble, if it doesn't work, I'm out $20 on the RDIMM. I'm sorry if by linking it, I misrepresented it as something that would absolutely work. That was not my intention.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zorak of Michigan posted:

This but I also log the vendor, order number, and purchase date. Cells are cheap. I had planned to bust out my Dymo and label the drives, but WD puts the serial numbers on the front of Reds, and TrueNAS makes it easy to view serial numbers.
With ZFS vdev properties that Allan Jude added in OpenZFS, and which should be in 3.0, you can also store all these values in parameters that can be read by various ZFS tools.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

a skeleton posted:

No I haven't managed to find the time to start messing with anything since I got back from the holidays.

I had read the same thing IOwnCalculus posted. I had the same thought process you had; that maybe the processor would support it. I don't know if that requirement is locked to the CPU itself, the motherboard or HPE just being that way.

I took a gamble, if it doesn't work, I'm out $20 on the RDIMM. I'm sorry if by linking it, I misrepresented it as something that would absolutely work. That was not my intention.

Nah, I realize we all don't really know what will or won't work with these things so I'm just throwing a little money at it, having fun, and learning as I go.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Apparently I’ve never owned a VGA cable or mini DisplayPort. lol at me searching my entire house for one of these cables to setup my gen9 ml30.

Thunderbolt? Tons. Maybe I’m too stupid to figure that port out. Lol.

Oh well. 9 dollar VGA cable from Best Buy here I come. Setting up unraid today!

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 22, 2023

OmegaFartHuffer
Feb 23, 2022
My friend is seeking a solution to locally stream 5tb of his content to other devices in the home.

A SAN seems to be the move here. What SAN hardware configs are good? And which software solution would best suit this purpose? I hope that there’s an alternative for Plex.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

OmegaFartHuffer posted:

My friend is seeking a solution to locally stream 5tb of his content to other devices in the home.

A SAN seems to be the move here. What SAN hardware configs are good? And which software solution would best suit this purpose? I hope that there’s an alternative for Plex.
SAN is just vendor speak for "our vendor overcharged us for a proprietary solution that involves more than one box for storage".

Nowadays, you can get away with storing that much data using just two pieces of spinning rust.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Given that you want multiple readers for the same data, that sounds more like a NAS job anyway?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah a SAN is 100% not what you want, that's a shared block storage device for server-specific use cases. A NAS device from Synology or a media server running Linux on something cheap and small is almost certainly more what they would want. Jellyfin is a good alternative to Plex and both pretty much run on everything.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Captain Apollo posted:

Apparently I’ve never owned a VGA cable or mini DisplayPort. lol at me searching my entire house for one of these cables to setup my gen9 ml30.

Ahahaaaa I just had to do exactly this last night. Drove to the office and dug through drawers for an hour til I found one.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

OmegaFartHuffer posted:

For what you're talking about https://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Home-Personal-Storage-WDBVXC0040HWT-NESN/dp/B076CX2GLG?th=1 running plex would do it, or jellyfin, or emby. No need to go super big for that low level.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
N5105 mini PC + Unraid with a 4-5 bay USB JBOD would be my go to for a budget build if I weren't going used

Much more flexibility with either the same or cheaper cost over a QNAP or Synology.

Quicksync has gotten quite good, I was goofing around with transcoding 4k vids on an older J4125 and it was mostly handling 3 4k transcodes shockingly well, and was doing 2 with no issues whatsoever.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 23, 2023

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

AlternateAccount posted:

Ahahaaaa I just had to do exactly this last night. Drove to the office and dug through drawers for an hour til I found one.

Imagine the look in my face as I sort through 100lbs of cables with no VGA in sight…….,

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Meanwhile I have drawers full of VGA and DVI , but the HDMI and DP cables disappear no matter how many I order.

It is always useful to have a VGA cable around, though.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Got the USB is not a bootable disk a few times with my unraid setup on the ml30. Gonna try the non-UEFI boot option and see what's up? Pray for me.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Captain Apollo posted:

Got the USB is not a bootable disk a few times with my unraid setup on the ml30. Gonna try the non-UEFI boot option and see what's up? Pray for me.

I did not have any issues with Unraid on my ML30 in UEFI mode. Is it possible your USB drive has issues? Have you tested it in another computer?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Unchecked the 'Allow UEFI' on installer and it worked first time?

I don't know if I'm just dumb but when I did it with Allow UEFI I never saw any file structure on the usb drive, thought maybe it was all hidden by windows or something. Oh well I'm up and running now. Will be Thursday before my 8TB hard drives get here so I'm just gonna wait on setting it up until then!

Did we get the RAM stuff figured out?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Captain Apollo posted:

Unchecked the 'Allow UEFI' on installer and it worked first time?

I don't know if I'm just dumb but when I did it with Allow UEFI I never saw any file structure on the usb drive, thought maybe it was all hidden by windows or something. Oh well I'm up and running now. Will be Thursday before my 8TB hard drives get here so I'm just gonna wait on setting it up until then!

Did we get the RAM stuff figured out?

My sticks are in the mail. So I should have an answer by end of week for everyone.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

a skeleton posted:

Sounds good, I grabbed these two sticks to try independently, since i was under budget thanks to your suggestion.

DDR4 ECC UDIMM

DDR4 ECC RDIMM

Hopefully one will work.

Results?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've been unintentionally testing the abilities of my Unraid server to absorb user fuckups this weekend. On Friday I picked up a couple of 14tb externals from Best Buy to shuck. Previous largest drives were 12tb, so one of the 14s was going to have to take over as parity drive, and the existing 12tb parity would then get added to the pool. Original plan was to add one of the 14tb drives, copy parity to it, move old 12tb parity to data pool, move data from oldest 8tb to cleared 12tb, and then replace the cleared 8tb with the second 14tb. Most of that could have been done with very minimal downtime on the array. Hasn't exactly gone according to plan.

First fuckup: While moving cables around a bit to slot the first 14tb drive, I put too much pressure on a sata cable and actually snapped the connector off of an 8tb drive. I was planning to replace one anyway, so not a total catastrophe, but now I'd have to rebuild that data drive from parity first. But that was a problem too, because my only spare drives were both 14tb which can't be added to the data pool because they are larger than the existing 12tb parity drive. Fortunately Unraid does have a contingency plan for this. Physically added both of the 14tb drives at this point and pulled the bad 8tb out. After booting back up I unassigned the parity drive and selected a 14tb for the parity slot and then added the 12tb parity drive to the slot the broken 8tb had taken.

Once those drives are assigned, you get the option to copy the old parity data to the new drive. Unfortunately this has to be done while the array is stopped, and it takes around 36 hours to complete. This brings us to...

Second fuckup: Usually the server lives in a closet in the basement, but I have it up in my office while I'm working on it. Around the 12 hour mark of parity copying, I start to get paranoid that one of the cats are going to accidently step on the button on the power strip and turn it off. So with my big genius brain I decide to move it up off the floor and a bit more out of the way, and in in the process manage to blip the power off myself. After some cursing I held my breath, powered back up, and was at least able to restart the copy process without losing any parity data. Lost a full 12 hours of time though. So now it's going, should be finished in time for me to start the array before going to work Monday morning. Which brings us to...

Third fuckup: Woke up this morning, parity copy is complete. All the drives show green dots, and I'm presented with the option to start the array and begin rebuild of the missing 8tb data drive. But I say to myself, I should just go ahead and add that second 14tb as a data drive now while the array is down to save a step later. So like a dummy I do, and instantly I get red Xs on the parity drive and the 3rd slot data drive saying config is wrong. Panic a bit, remove the second 14tb drive from the pool, and once again I'm greeted with the option to start the copy of parity data. Apparently being in error state like that was enough to make it forget that it had already finished copying parity. My only option was to restart the copy a third time.

Fingers crossed that the data survives all this and I'll have a usable server again by tomorrow night.

a skeleton
Jul 29, 2004

RDIMM causes a boot loop as it's checking the memory. The UDIMM passes the memory check, but my keyboard doesn't work to look at the BIOS System Information like it did with the provided UDIMM.

I'll mess with the 16gb UDIMM some more when I can find another keyboard and I have more time.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
That’s amazing because my keyboard also didn’t work. Thankfully it just auto loaded the unraid bios……

a skeleton
Jul 29, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

That’s amazing because my keyboard also didn’t work. Thankfully it just auto loaded the unraid bios……

With the memory it came with? My keyboard worked fine in BIOS with the 4gb it came with but not the 16gb module.

Granted, I don’t have Unraid setup yet, so I was just running through the stock BIOS.

I tried several different ports but nothing. That’s interesting behavior in any case.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yup - keyboard didn't work. Didn't have another keyboard that was any different so didn't try it with any other one....

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I ordered two of those ebay ML30s and they came today. As others have said, very solid packaging however the one I unboxed first looks like it got t-boned by a garbage truck.

Haven't looked at the other one yet but I'm fairly certain it was like this before it went in the box

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
poo poo that sucks.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

shame on an IGA posted:

I ordered two of those ebay ML30s and they came today. As others have said, very solid packaging however the one I unboxed first looks like it got t-boned by a garbage truck.

Haven't looked at the other one yet but I'm fairly certain it was like this before it went in the box

:stare:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

shame on an IGA posted:

That's brutal. Does it POST?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If it survived it is now unkillable, that’s just science

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's just a scratch, that'll surely buff right out.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Duplicati has somehow flown under my radar all this time until now, it's super easy to set up which makes me feel like it's too good to be true, does anyone here use it?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Parity copy was successful, now the wait for data-rebuild begins. This is going much faster, should be done in just under 24 hours. Then, finally, my friends and family can stfu about Plex.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

e.pilot posted:

Duplicati has somehow flown under my radar all this time until now, it's super easy to set up which makes me feel like it's too good to be true, does anyone here use it?

I have been using it for a few years. Back up to backblaze B2. No complaints with it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

e.pilot posted:

I use it, works well. Some have reported issues with high disk writes on their SSD resulting from the temporary files it creates, there are workarounds posted for those who care.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

A killer feature these backup programs need is to let me specify the list of files to backup.

Stop scanning 120tb of files and check access dates and hashes. I can do a zfs diff of todays snapshot and yesterdays and tell you exactly what files were accessed!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

That's brutal. Does it POST?

holy poo poo it works

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

shame on an IGA posted:

holy poo poo it works

If you want to keep it, I'd ask the seller for a partial refund. If you take the mobo out you could probably hammer it back into semi-straightness and if you're planning to stick it in a closet or something, who cares about aesthetics?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hughlander posted:

A killer feature these backup programs need is to let me specify the list of files to backup.

Stop scanning 120tb of files and check access dates and hashes. I can do a zfs diff of todays snapshot and yesterdays and tell you exactly what files were accessed!
Use a backup service that lets you send zfs snapshots. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

shame on an IGA posted:

holy poo poo it works
You must now name that machine Lemmy or Ozzy. It is preordained