Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Skipping cutscenes probably explains the stereotype of goons being bad at games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wait why're people baggin on people what skip cutscenes

or is this some irony thing, i really don't care to parse that poo poo anymore

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
It's more a guy who constantly posts about how some story sucks despite, you know, skipping past it iirc

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
maybe he's skipping it beacuse it sucks

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Anno posted:

New Mimimi game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1545560/Shadow_Gambit_The_Cursed_Crew

Seems to be sticking to the Shadow Tactics/Desperados genre, but now fantasy pirate stuff.

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BykuAlQlSIw

Yes, please. Please give me more pirate-themed stuff that's not multiplayer focused. More, more, more, more, more.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

deep dish peat moss posted:

Making a game be about a linear narrative, rather than emergent personal storytelling (the only story being my story, of the path that I took, the challenges I overcame, and probably how I died before the end) feels like like an artist picking the wrong medium for them. If the linear narrative is good enough to stand on its own purely as a narrative that's worth experiencing, then literally any medium other than "hot-swapping back and forth between interactive problem-solving and being told a story" would be fine to me, but playing a narrative or story-based videogame is like interactive nails on a chalkboard to me.

I immediately thought of Chicory, a story about letting go of the conceptual weight of making art, and what it would be like if it wasn't a game. I can't really picture it, but it wouldn't be as effective I don't think. I agree that most games don't effectively integrate story and gameplay but it doesn't mean they never do. I suppose the "good enough to stand on its own" part is the subjective hurdle.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Believe it or not people play games for all kinds of different reasons! I have not paid attention to the story in a game since the SNES Final Fantasy games because it's not the part of games I'm interested in, I am interested in the part of the game that's a game, and full of complex interactive problems to solve. If I care about the story I will read the wiki because reading is a much more natural and enjoyable way for me to enjoy a story. Get this: I also skip dialog whenever possible! I will literally just click the first option, or whatever option is colored for "use this one to unlock new things or progress the game". I will absolutely never under any circumstances listen to voice acting! Even in the extremely rare cases where I get temporarily invested in a game's story for the first 30 minutes before it wears on me I will absolutely never allow a voice actor to speak a full skippable line because it's agonizingly slow compared to reading and makes games actively un-fun for me.

It's okay, one of these days someone will sit you down and make you play an emotional walking simulator and you'll connect with your human side and later you'll die in the engine room telling them you've always been and always shall be their friend :cry:

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
They should bring back QTEs during cutscenes to keep up player engagement imo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Another thing to consider would be video games as a multimedia production. Video games aren't just mechanical interactions, there's art and music and pacing and (sometimes) narrative in varying proportions, based on the experience you want to deliver. A strategy game where I'm leading a civilization over thousands of years doesn't really need a story, I'm writing my own, but a detective game where you're trying to solve a murder mystery requires a narrative populated with at least a few distinct characters (and in fact, during the Golden Age of Detective Fiction, murder mystery novels were sometimes referred to as "Games," since the expectation was the astute reader would be able to solve the crime before the detective, their viewpoint character).

Another interesting example I think is Metal Gear Solid, made famous (in part) by its numerous cutscenes and codec conversations. They're a common source of complaint, and it's simple enough to say that they go on too long, that there should have been fewer, but they still bring something to the table. You're playing a spy after all, dropped feet-first into a Clancy-adjacent world of intrigue and political theater. Of course you'll need to radio your support crew for advice. Of course you need a scene where the villain reveals their plans, before twirling their capes and revealing The Twist! It's an 80s-style action-packed political thriller where you control the action and get rewarded with developments, and can call upon your own personal mission control as needed. There's room there, I think, to posit (non-ironically) that the cutscenes are your reward for playing well. Do a few of them get long in the tooth? Absolutely. For my money Metal Gear Solid 1 and 3 had the best ratio of gameplay-to-cutscenes, with 2 and 4 being a little too wordy for their own good. But on paper it works. These two things are not in opposition. It's also an example of something where stripping away one half of the equation hurts the whole. Part of the appeal of Metal Gear Solid is existing in this world of heightened reality, where the narrative emphasizes the stakes of your mission, with characters providing both drama and levity.

The formula's going to be different for different games. Some games should absolutely not have cutscenes, or only the bare minimum required to communicate context, whereas others can benefit from them. I would agree though that there's absolutely a point past which you've over-invested in them and should've written a book or made a movie instead, or situations where the narrative stands at cross-purposes with the game, or under-serves the game entirely.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I envy people who swore a blood oath to never skip cutscenes, because they’ve clearly never played Golden Sun on the GBA, a game that does not have that feature but is designed specifically to answer the question “why would you ever want to do that?”

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Sort of a side issue but one thing that annoys me about the cut scenes in Midnight Suns is it's filled with 'that boss fight you just won? Turns out you actually lost it'. Bosses constantly jump up perfectly fine to nearly kill you/push the button they need to complete their plan.

Take a minute developers and you can make it so you win the fight but still have a reasonable way for the bad guy's plan to progress. Cut scenes in general need to get a little closer to the gameplay you're experiencing.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

Well, Forspoken has definitely got some optimization issues on PC. Attempting to run the demo at 1440p Ultra with a Ryzen 5600x + RTX3080 and Quality DLSS can hit about 60fps in the open world, but it's real shaky. I did the first bridge fight and FPS tanked down into the 20s, which very frequent dips all over the place. Whatever's happening appears to be tied to VRAM usage, my poor GPU was constantly tapped out. Even my RAM usage was at about 21GB, never seen that before. Visually it's a whole lot poppier than PS5, but this game does not look anywhere good enough to justify that kind of performance.

where is the demo set? The entire beginning VRAM for me was <16GB and RAM 14-18 at 4K/High-Max

@Cutscenes

the thing with forspoken is, that the cutscenes are just objectively bad. Setup is off, cutting is terrible, lighting is horrible and the dialogue doesn't particular help either.

Just look at the very first cutscene of the cat. It's like the most interesting object in the entire scene but there are just a few frames viewtime and one cut into its face. Its the object of the entire scene, and yet somehow the director thought "hey just put the dumb rear end protagonist in the frame the entire time!" Thats just bad filmmaking. There are countless other major or minor issues with all the movies I had to watch so far.

Also lol

"Why is everyone speaking English?"
"Guess LANGUAGE is shared among dimensions"

:chloe:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

GhostDog posted:

It's okay, one of these days someone will sit you down and make you play an emotional walking simulator and you'll connect with your human side and later you'll die in the engine room telling them you've always been and always shall be their friend :cry:

sounds bad, someone should tell these emotional walking ism devs to write emotional novels instead (which i will also not read because they do not contain robots or wizards)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The Kins posted:

I envy people who swore a blood oath to never skip cutscenes, because they’ve clearly never played Golden Sun on the GBA, a game that does not have that feature but is designed specifically to answer the question “why would you ever want to do that?”
I wish I'd saved the word cloud with KRADEN in the middle.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If the game clearly has terribly uninteresting writing after a few hours of playing it but the gameplay is fun then I might start skipping cutscenes but skipping cutscenes right out of the gate is some psycho poo poo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GhostDog posted:

Death Stranding is very good, yes.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Everyone's doing really good but I think you'll find that skipping cutscenes is like eating a rotisserie chicken with airpods in while someone is trying to warn you about the approaching truck

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

AngryBooch posted:

https://twitter.com/SkillUpYT/status/1618079446984187905

This The Day Before story is starting to pick up some steam.

Is it feasible to somehow just gently caress off to the Bahamas with a bunch of preorder money?

https://twitter.com/fntastichq/status/1618113906878337024?s=46&t=ODqNPqcu-2VFpp5jkIfuMQ

“Oops someone else had the rights to our name, on a unrelated note we’re pushing this until November.”

Bahamas or Turks & Caicos is my bet, the latter is a bit more obscure.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've never heard of that game before today. How does one run this scam, was the game crowd-sourced or something? I'd be amazed if it was so simple to rip off a big production company and skip town.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Ah yes, the very well known and popular key binding [

:wtc:

have you never played classic video game Deus Ex? How else are you going to turn on your laser sight!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Tbf I don’t think the game is a complete scam, (as in “take the money and run”) but I’m fairly certain it’s kind of like how that DayZ nockoff was hyped eons ago and very quickly fizzled into nothing when it became clear it was developed by Dreamers and nothing else. H1Z1 I think it was called?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i can have an emotionally fulfilling and cathartic life irl but i can't blast goblins with a shotgun irl. gameplay > cutscenes, it's a wrap folks

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Cutscenes

Cut... Scenes...

Are they trying to say the scenes should be cut? Or that there are scenes that WERE cut?

:tinfoil:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Foul Fowl posted:

i can have an emotionally fulfilling and cathartic life irl but i can't blast goblins with a shotgun irl. gameplay > cutscenes, it's a wrap folks

See, I have the opposite problem

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

KazigluBey posted:

Cutscenes

Cut... Scenes...

Are they trying to say the scenes should be cut? Or that there are scenes that WERE cut?

:tinfoil:

I know this is jokes but the term cutscenes was created by Ron Gilbert and the Maniac Mansion team for scenes that cut away from the action to let you see whats happening elsewhere. Just a mildly interesting fact for my forum pals.

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 25, 2023

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

we're in legal trouble. that's why we're pushing our game to november. yes. that's how legal issues resolve. in a set timeframe within the year. we will definitely not delay it again once it nears november.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Noticed that Valkyrie Elysium is on sale for 30bux now on the Humble Store. Is the PC port decent?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

deadeye deepfake simulacrum is written with an incredible case of brainworms and im here for it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haldolium posted:

where is the demo set? The entire beginning VRAM for me was <16GB and RAM 14-18 at 4K/High-Max

The demo is set in a big open field area, but I also just noticed that I hadn't installed the Geforce drivers that came out from yesterday. I'll load it up again and see if anything changes, although I doubt it given all the Steam complaints about performance.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

BigglesSWE posted:

https://twitter.com/fntastichq/status/1618113906878337024?s=46&t=ODqNPqcu-2VFpp5jkIfuMQ

“Oops someone else had the rights to our name, on a unrelated note we’re pushing this until November.”

Bahamas or Turks & Caicos is my bet, the latter is a bit more obscure.

Steam delisted us by mistake! We'll be back up in an hour!

Actually, JK, the store page is gone because of a legal issue. Yeah we've known about it for a few days. Anyway, this totally real game will still be really coming out in November now.

This game was #2 most wishlisted lol.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

What's the #1 wishlisted game? Where do I see those stats?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Sininu posted:

What's the #1 wishlisted game? Where do I see those stats?

Hogwarts. I guess it’s technically most wishlisted game that hasn’t been released, too.

https://steamdb.info/stats/mostwished/

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Anno posted:

Hogwarts. I guess it’s technically most wishlisted game that hasn’t been released, too.

Wait. I don't understand. What are all of those games above Silksong?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

moosferatu posted:

Wait. I don't understand. What are all of those games above Silksong?

Starfield is the Bethesda thing but there are seriously a lot of these I've never even heard of.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I don’t think there’s anything too surprising at the top of the list. Party Animals is going to be a crazy big streamer game, Sons of the Forest looks great and The Forest sold loads of copies, Hogwarts/Silksong/Starfield will probably fight it out for largest single player launch of the year.

The Day Before was the weird one because it was so obviously some kind of scam/lie.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Can't wait to get Forsaken next month and just soak in it.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I forgot how incredibly creepy the the spiders in Rain World are. it doesn't help that a dead one wound up in my shelter somehow

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Has anyone actually bought Division 2? I saw on a few spots that buying the base game will actually get you the NY expansion if you own it already on Ubi Connect.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Anno posted:

:rip: N1RV Ann-a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has anyone actually bought Division 2? I saw on a few spots that buying the base game will actually get you the NY expansion if you own it already on Ubi Connect.

I heard the pc version is prone to crashing, and Steam reviews seem to back that up.