Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wrong thread sorry

euphronius fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

euphronius posted:

Lmao

Utterly hopeless

Moscow DOES consider itself a successor to Rome traditionally but I suspect this might have been misposted regardless.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wrong thread obv

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Molentik posted:

This might not be the right place for this, but I have a question;

The place I live at has a lot of these kind of rocks in the ground. One side looks like something melted and solidified, while the other side is really rough.

My first thought was that these are pieces of lava, but that doesnt relate with the type of bedrock here (southern Portugal doesnt have vulcano's). There is a lot of iron in the ground though, so could these be pieces of slag from an ancient smeltery or something?

Probably an AFR though I'm by no means an expert on the stuff in Portugal.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I've not enlarged the images, but I'm pretty sure those are frogs.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Telsa Cola posted:

Probably an AFR though I'm by no means an expert on the stuff in Portugal.

what is an afr

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Detail of a gold glass medallion with a portrait of a family,
from Alexandria, 3rd–4th c. AD.
Museo di Santa Giulia, Brescia.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Arglebargle III posted:

Detail of a gold glass medallion with a portrait of a family,
from Alexandria, 3rd–4th c. AD.
Museo di Santa Giulia, Brescia.

that's not a family, it's the same person with three different outfits and hairdos

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wafflecopper posted:

that's not a family, it's the same person with three different outfits and hairdos

a more thorough rebuttal of Arianism does not exist

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Wafflecopper posted:

what is an afr

Another loving rock

Slag does get everywhere and it's entirely possible its modern or historic.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 8, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like the Discworld books where the main setting Ankh Morpork (fantasy Victorian London if it was also a renaissance Italian city state) is built on it self several times because of centuries of silt from the River Ankh building up so there's city on city on city (most of it filled with mud). This becomes a plot point several times when people use the former ground floor (now sub-basement) to get up to no good.

Old underground cities comes up a lot in fiction. Judge Dredd has Old New York populated with subterranean vampires, Futurama got one populated with mutants and even Duckburg has an old Duckburg underground (mainly used by the Beagle Boys to hide in).

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Telsa Cola posted:

Another loving rock

Slag does get everywhere and it's entirely possible its modern or historic.

Yeah, in modern times that poo poo still just got dumped any old where.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Are there any first-hand accounts of Greek mercenary life besides Anabasis? I read a bunch of 30 Years War accounts by mercenaries for a paper and insights into their daily lives was really interesting, but I don't know if guys writing down the mundanities of their lives was a literally genre in Greek Antiquity

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Thanks, good to know! I'm still telling the kids it was from a iron forge making swords for knights a long time ago :D

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Molentik posted:

This might not be the right place for this, but I have a question;

The place I live at has a lot of these kind of rocks in the ground. One side looks like something melted and solidified, while the other side is really rough.

My first thought was that these are pieces of lava, but that doesnt relate with the type of bedrock here (southern Portugal doesnt have vulcano's). There is a lot of iron in the ground though, so could these be pieces of slag from an ancient smeltery or something?

Those look like hematite concretions which can form some gnarly shapes. Also get mistaken for meteorites a lot.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Yes that makes sense! Thanks.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/KristerVasshus/status/1615236531689607169

Looks like a new contender for the title of "Oldest Known Runic Insciption" has been found.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

loving hate the powercreep from these DLCs

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Drakhoran posted:

https://twitter.com/KristerVasshus/status/1615236531689607169

Looks like a new contender for the title of "Oldest Known Runic Insciption" has been found.

Hell yeah.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

This obviously supports the idea that the Runes are truly divine gifts from the All-Father and not just the Germanics trying to ape existing alphabets.

I will dream on this for confirmation. Maybe look at a fire for a bit too long or rummage through some birdguts before making a definite statement.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

FreudianSlippers posted:

This obviously supports the idea that the Runes are truly divine gifts from the All-Father and not just the Germanics trying to ape existing alphabets.

I will dream on this for confirmation. Maybe look at a fire for a bit too long or rummage through some birdguts before making a definite statement.

I mean, I know you're joking, but it did kinda cross my mind too -- but Norse peoples would have had contact with e.g. the Romans for at least several hundred years before that, and I'd imagine contacts (both direct and indirect) with Greeks, Phoenicians, and the wider Assyrian-using world for thousands before that.

Frankly it's surprising that writing took that long to spread to northern Europe, given how a lot of its early utility was for merchants to keep track of their accounts, and how widespread trade was across Europe.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, I know you're joking, but it did kinda cross my mind too -- but Norse peoples would have had contact with e.g. the Romans for at least several hundred years before that, and I'd imagine contacts (both direct and indirect) with Greeks, Phoenicians, and the wider Assyrian-using world for thousands before that.

Frankly it's surprising that writing took that long to spread to northern Europe, given how a lot of its early utility was for merchants to keep track of their accounts, and how widespread trade was across Europe.

I wouldn't go that far, "several centuries" before a 2000-year-old Runenstein would be back when the entire Roman Empire still fit neatly into Italy. Though of course I can't categorically exclude possible trade connections influencing Northern and Eastern Europe.

It would interest me if eventually enough sources of ancient rune script will be available for linguistic analysis, because I'd really like to see which alphabets influenced theirs.

Still, there's a non-zero chance the runic script developed independently. The Sumerians and Egyptians both managed to create bafflingly different writing systems, despite being fairly geographically close to each other.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Could be a case where someone heard the general idea ("they inscribe special marks to record their words") and independently reinvented that. Isn't there a specific term for that vs. adopting alphabets?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Egypt and Sumeria at least (I don’t know too much about Shang Oracle Bone history) had the kind of relatively centralized/organized state structures that encourage the invention, adoption, and spread of writing and had good materials in papyrus/clay to do it. North Europe took a lot longer to get that kind of state structure going, and definitely didn’t have papyrus (though I don’t remember enough about clay tablet writing to say if Ye olde Germania had good soil for it).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It needn't be direct contact with Rome, we have Celtic inscriptions from central Europe from back when Rome still had Romulus living in it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I mean, in terms of Cuneiform vs Hieroglyphs, I'd imagine that the different media had a lot to do with that. It's extremely difficult to capture Hieroglyphs in clay, and vice versa with Cuneiform and papyrus.

It also goes really far back -- obviously we don't know how far with papyrus, beyond the oldest (2,900 BCE) but IIRC there are clay counter tokens dating to ~10,000 BCE.

Edit: this is in reference to the idea of runic script having developed independently. It just seems vanishingly unlikely, given how much exposure northern European peoples would have had to other writing systems by the time there was any evidence of runic existing.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 20, 2023

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

galagazombie posted:

Egypt and Sumeria at least (I don’t know too much about Shang Oracle Bone history) had the kind of relatively centralized/organized state structures that encourage the invention, adoption, and spread of writing and had good materials in papyrus/clay to do it. North Europe took a lot longer to get that kind of state structure going, and definitely didn’t have papyrus (though I don’t remember enough about clay tablet writing to say if Ye olde Germania had good soil for it).

Northern Europe has wood, lots of wood, shitloads of wood. Runes are generally shaped to be cut into wood where you can't easily go against the grain of the wood to make other shapes with simple cutting implements. This is also why any earlier forms of runic writing or simple record keeping is so very hard to find. It was almost always done on wood or bark, and that rots. The same problem exist with most ancient archaeology in Scandinavia. One never really finds ruins, one can't do like in the Levant and walk up to and/or dig up a stone age or bronze age settlement and find any inscriptions to decipher on tablets or temple walls. Those inscriptions, carvings and paintings are gone. Instead, what archaeologists has to make do with, is postholes and a load of ceremonial rock carvings.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The magical properties of the runes are a result of the All-Father's power but the symbols themselves are likely based or at least inspired on some Southron alphabet.

Source:
It was revealed to me in a dream

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Nessus posted:

Could be a case where someone heard the general idea ("they inscribe special marks to record their words") and independently reinvented that. Isn't there a specific term for that vs. adopting alphabets?

That concept is called "Stimulus Diffusion." A relatively recent example is the invention of the Cherokee writing system in the 1820s. A Cherokee man saw writing being used by white Americans, and understood the concept (but not the details, he couldn't read English), and then came up with his own syllabic-based writing system that borrowed characters from the Latin alphabet (and elsewhere), but used them in entirely new ways. This is a pretty common theory for explaining the spread of writing in the ancient world as well. It's unlikely writing as a concept was independently invented more than a few times, but once you get over the conceptual obstacle of knowing that writing is something you can do, there's a ton of different ways you can apply that to your own language and circumstances that can be very different from other people doing the same thing.

CrypticFox fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 21, 2023

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Germans invented magnetic levitation before writing but then traded it in when they realized they hadn't unlocked high temperature superconductors.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Libluini posted:

I wouldn't go that far, "several centuries" before a 2000-year-old Runenstein would be back when the entire Roman Empire still fit neatly into Italy. Though of course I can't categorically exclude possible trade connections influencing Northern and Eastern Europe.

The traditional date for the founding of Rome is April 21, 753 B.C. By that time the amber trade between the Baltic and the Med was already centuries old.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

CrypticFox posted:

That concept is called "Stimulus Diffusion." A relatively recent example is the invention of the Cherokee writing system in the 1820s. A Cherokee man saw writing being used by white Americans, and understood the concept (but not the details, he couldn't read English), and then came up with his own syllabic-based writing system that borrowed characters from the Latin alphabet (and elsewhere), but used them in entirely new ways. This is a pretty common theory for explaining the spread of writing in the ancient world as well. It's unlikely writing as a concept was independently invented more than a few times, but once you get over the conceptual obstacle of knowing that writing is something you can do, there's a ton of different ways you can apply that to your own language and circumstances that can be very different from other people doing the same thing.

That was Sequoyah, and he was spectacularly successful.

quote:

After seeing its worth, the people of the Cherokee Nation rapidly began to use his syllabary and officially adopted it in 1825. It unified a forcibly divided nation with new ways of communication and a sense of independence. By the 1850s, their literacy rate reached almost 100%, surpassing that of surrounding European-American settlers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Been said but even the Whig history of the Civilization games shows that a technology once discovered will spread like wildfire among those exposed to it, often deliberately because it's easier to sell things to people who understand what they're for.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
On the other hand, we know of civilizations first adopting a writing system, then abandoning it later. So clearly, technology spread isn't a one-way street, sometimes a culture just decides to go backwards again.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Libluini posted:

On the other hand, we know of civilizations first adopting a writing system, then abandoning it later. So clearly, technology spread isn't a one-way street, sometimes a culture just decides to go backwards again.
When did this happen?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bronze Age Collapse? (the Sea People stole all the letters)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The collapse of literacy in the Greek dark age is because literacy hadn’t been adopted by the wider “culture” but was the province of an elite expert caste, the bureaucrats who supported the palatial centers. Oops the flow of wealth that allows for palatial centers has now been disrupted by the onslaught of the rapacious and bad-smelling Sherden, Shelekesh, Peleset, etc, now who’s going to pay me to sit here stamping out Linear B all day. You notice there is no obvious popular literature in the pre-alphabetic Greek (unlike say, Sumerian). It’s pretty much all accounting. No wonder they got rid of it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Seems like writing purely as an accounting technology is somewhat before or a potential precursor to what we think of as writing. Is there any information on how much of the Aztec codices were like that ?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Aztec writing was pretty wild. It's a shame there isn't more of it surviving.

quote:

Aztec was pictographic and ideographic proto-writing, augmented by phonetic rebuses. It also contained syllabic signs and logograms. There was no alphabet, but puns also contributed to recording sounds of the Aztec language. While some scholars have understood the system not to be considered a complete writing system, this is disputed by others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Libluini posted:

I'd say that is pretty strong evidence that "backwards" is the wrong paradigm to use. From a purely historical perspective its bad because history is the study of writings, but from a more complete social science perspective, literacy is a tool that a society may or may not have use for. In particular, maintaining a literate society comes with several costs that may not be worth paying: it requires a substantial diversion of educational resources, and you need to produce and store written media. In particular for nomadic societies that last part, storage, is a pretty brutal cost that substantially shifts the cost-benefit analysis away from bothering with maintaining literacy.