Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My last two breads flopped out flap. The first one was expected since it had risen too much after forming; I had poo poo to do and the trip through the fridge didn't do anywhere enough to slow it down. The second one is more of a surprise because I would have thought I did everything right. So I've possibly been letting them rise too long in the basket. My shaping and other handling probably also could use some work but I'll just change one thing at a time here and go for what I would figure was too short of a final proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Made a 25% Rye sourdough loaf and the texture while it's proving is very odd indeed but it did come out well, even if one was "extra crusty" due to me being in a meeting that overran.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I've got a sourdough starter going after watching a bunch of youtube tutorials. It's a 50/50 blend of whole wheat flour and bread flour. Essentially the Tartine recipe.

This morning is day 3 and when I checked it, it had quadrupled in size and is currently deflating which I'm told is good to see happen at that point, but there are definite blue spots/streaks on the top. They aren't fuzzy at all so I'm not sure if this is mold? Picture below.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It doesn't look great if I'm honest, but I don't really know.

I made some more bread

This one is 30% spelt with linseed and black sesame. Happy with how it came out despite my dodgy shaping. Ive made a proving box to help with the bulk fermentation that keeps itself at 25c inside and it just makes everything much more reliable.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Aramoro posted:

It doesn't look great if I'm honest, but I don't really know.

I made some more bread

This one is 30% spelt with linseed and black sesame. Happy with how it came out despite my dodgy shaping. Ive made a proving box to help with the bulk fermentation that keeps itself at 25c inside and it just makes everything much more reliable.

Are you kidding? It looks great.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What is too cold for cold fermenting? I made biga from wholemeal flour, rested at ~18C for 24h and it behaved as I'd expect, but then I put it in the fridge at ~4C overnight. This morning it's stiff and dry feeling. This is also the same experience I had when trying to cold ferment a no-knead dough.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What is too cold for cold fermenting? I made biga from wholemeal flour, rested at ~18C for 24h and it behaved as I'd expect, but then I put it in the fridge at ~4C overnight. This morning it's stiff and dry feeling. This is also the same experience I had when trying to cold ferment a no-knead dough.

How was it covered?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This guy has some amazing time lapses of bread rising in the oven.

https://instagram.com/paindemari?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

therattle posted:

How was it covered?

Lidded large yoghurt put for the wholemeal biga, plastic wrap across the top of a mixing bowl for the no-knead.

Your question makes me wonder if I'm meant to have them covered such that the covering is touching the dough?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Lidded large yoghurt put for the wholemeal biga, plastic wrap across the top of a mixing bowl for the no-knead.

Your question makes me wonder if I'm meant to have them covered such that the covering is touching the dough?

No, just that the air can't freely circulate and dry out the dough. When the covering actually touches the dough you get problems.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

therattle posted:

Are you kidding? It looks great.

Don't get me wrong its a nice loaf, I just struggle a little with shaping my free form loaves.

But I have just bought a pullman loaf tin so excited to try that out for a sourdough sandwich loaf.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dunno! I just use a damp dish towel. I refresh it with a bit more water after the overnight bench ferment if I need to refrigerate for later baking.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

I think you're covering it just fine. Dough always gets stiff in the fridge (which is kind of a benefit if you're doing high-hydration-- it's easier to handle), but the "dry feeling" part makes me wonder if you should add more water at the start. Or do like therattle and add a bit more after the long ferment. The dough after a lot of hours will finally be fully hydrated and some of that water gets tied up, so you might just need to start with a few tablespoons more since whole wheat can be extra thirsty.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

effika posted:

Dough always gets stiff in the fridge (which is kind of a benefit if you're doing high-hydration-- it's easier to handle), but the "dry feeling" part makes me wonder if you should add more water at the start.

I think it's these two things.

I made the original biga on Friday and refrigerated it from Saturday. I then made another one yesterday which I didn't regrigerate. This morning I compared them and felt the only difference was gas, so I used the older one. I added an extra 10ml of water to the white flour to compensate for the drier feeling of the biga and in the future I will add it to the biga itself.

Here's the result:

The only thing I've yet to figure out is the crisp crust. I did take the advice and let things cool in the oven with the door ajar but honestly that makes the crust even softer from the few times I've tried it.

Edit: This one also wrinkled and softened. But it tastes amazing, by far the most interesting flavour I've achieved.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 23, 2023

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I think it's these two things.

I made the original biga on Friday and refrigerated it from Saturday. I then made another one yesterday which I didn't regrigerate. This morning I compared them and felt the only difference was gas, so I used the older one. I added an extra 10ml of water to the white flour to compensate for the drier feeling of the biga and in the future I will add it to the biga itself.

Here's the result:

The only thing I've yet to figure out is the crisp crust. I did take the advice and let things cool in the oven with the door ajar but honestly that makes the crust even softer from the few times I've tried it.

Edit: This one also wrinkled and softened. But it tastes amazing, by far the most interesting flavour I've achieved.

The thing that works for me to get a crisp crust is that I spray down the loaf with a spray bottle of water before the second bake.

I do the first bake for 30 mins in a Dutch oven at 500 degrees. Then I take it out, spray it down and cook it directly on the oven rack at 450 for 10 mins, spray it down again, rotate and bake for an additional 10 mins before putting on a rack to cool

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Dacap posted:

I do the first bake for 30 mins in a Dutch oven at 500 degrees. Then I take it out, spray it down and cook it directly on the oven rack at 450 for 10 mins, spray it down again, rotate and bake for an additional 10 mins before putting on a rack to cool

So that sounds nearly twice as long as mine is in there for - I do the first 15 minutes in a lidded Dutch oven with an ice cube, then 15 minutes with the lid off.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

So that sounds nearly twice as long as mine is in there for - I do the first 15 minutes in a lidded Dutch oven with an ice cube, then 15 minutes with the lid off.

What is your internal temp at the end?

(For reference, I bake lid-on at 475F for 30 min, then uncovered at 425F for 20 min, and my internal temp is usually around 210-215)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My wife brought home some bread from a restaurant that had that very dark brown, almost black, crust all around.

I tried to replicate it, but didn't quite succeed.

Currently, my bake is:

Preheat to 250C with a big honking baking steel.
Loaves go in along with a cup of boiling water in a pan in the bottom.
After 15 minutes I turn the temp down to 220C.
Take breads out after 18 minutes.

I tried to add 5 minutes to the 18, and then tried 200C/35 mins as the second phase, but both just became browner with a thicker, drier crust.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

bolind posted:

My wife brought home some bread from a restaurant that had that very dark brown, almost black, crust all around.

I tried to replicate it, but didn't quite succeed.

Currently, my bake is:

Preheat to 250C with a big honking baking steel.
Loaves go in along with a cup of boiling water in a pan in the bottom.
After 15 minutes I turn the temp down to 220C.
Take breads out after 18 minutes.

I tried to add 5 minutes to the 18, and then tried 200C/35 mins as the second phase, but both just became browner with a thicker, drier crust.

Maybe add a little non-diastatic malt powder to your dough? My breads always end up a little darker (more caramelization)when I add some in.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are you taking the water out?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Ishamael posted:

What is your internal temp at the end?

(For reference, I bake lid-on at 475F for 30 min, then uncovered at 425F for 20 min, and my internal temp is usually around 210-215)

Here is today's:

This was baked at 200C in a cast iron dutch oven with an ice cube added, for 15 mins. Removed the lid, did another 15 mins, removed the loaf and put it on the shelf, another 7 mins - so 37 mins total and the internal temperature at the end was 96C. Straight out of the oven this looks absolutely perfect to me, if it stays crisp (it didn't) I'd change nothing and do this every time.

I'm wondering now if my oven temperature could be higher since I recall seeing that the internal temperature can be a bit lower than that..

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 26, 2023

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

How are you guys adding ice cubes into your Dutch oven? You just have huge fuckoff 10 quart pots? Or is there some sort of secret I'm not in on.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

null_pointer posted:

How are you guys adding ice cubes into your Dutch oven? You just have huge fuckoff 10 quart pots? Or is there some sort of secret I'm not in on.

When I put the proofed dough in I lower it via parchment paper. I pull up one edge of it and put a cube in. There is very little room because the dough almost fits exactly.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Here is today's:

This was baked at 200C in a cast iron dutch oven with an ice cube added, for 15 mins. Removed the lid, did another 15 mins, removed the loaf and put it on the shelf, another 7 mins - so 37 mins total and the internal temperature at the end was 96C. Straight out of the oven this looks absolutely perfect to me, if it stays crisp (it didn't) I'd change nothing and do this every time.

I'm wondering now if my oven temperature could be higher since I recall seeing that the internal temperature can be a bit lower than that..

what's the ice cube for, and what happens if you don't add one? i know sometimes people throw those in with bread to add moisture to the first few minutes of baking, but an advantage of dutch oven baking is that that isn't necessary. right?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Ice generates steam which helps the crust, though I'm not sure if it helps it be hard or soft. You absolutely don't have to do it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Yes the ice cube was for the crust and the spring, I feel it has helped beyond just the steam from the dough alone. Since I'm doing a loaf every 4 days or so, I'm trying to change one thing at once to help me home in on the bread that I want. The changes I made so far:

- Dutch oven instead of a tray with water in the bottom of the oven
- Biga
- Erring on the side of under-proofed rather than over-proofed
- Ice cube
- Wholemeal biga
- Retarding the biga for 3 days - this and the step before made such a wonderful difference to the flavour
- Longer bake

Next step will be higher temperature.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
200° seems really low, but it still looks good. Curious to hear what happens when you turn it up for the next one

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mauser posted:

200° seems really low, but it still looks good. Curious to hear what happens when you turn it up for the next one

I’m
Guessing that is C not F. I usually do 30m at 230c covered, followed by 25m at 190c, uncovered.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It is indeed C. I was doing this based off a recipe I saw here, modified bit by bit, and it was more or less working so I hadn't considered doing it for longer/higher. Now I'm comfortable with it I'm happy tweaking.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 27, 2023

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
You can make bread in a Crockpot, so I guess 200F is possible too!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

It is indeed C. I was doing this based off a recipe I saw here, modified bit by bit, and it was more or less working so I hadn't considered doing it for longer/higher. Now I'm comfortable with it I'm happy tweaking.

Oh yeah I saw it was C, but that's 395° F which seems low for bread! Just never tried it that low, I've always done 450-500F

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Got my first opportunity to try my pullman making a sourdough Pain de Mei and I'm pretty happy with the results

Didn't quite make the corners of the tin and it was a little bubbily on top, didn't degass the dough enough when I shaped it. But it tastes great, very soft as well.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This time I did it at 220°C - 15 min lidded, 15 min not, the crust is better - not fully crisp after cooling but moreso. The flavour of the crust is really excellent though, greatly improved by the extra browning.

I want to saw the entire craggy top off and eat just that.

I am greatly enjoying making and eating these breads. I've worked them into my cutting diet and I am always looking forward to new loaf day.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I want to saw the entire craggy top off and eat just that.
Looks great.

Do it. That bread globe is your oyster, there’s no rules on how to slice. Cut the rest into croutons and continue on the crispy crust journey.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

the craggy top is the best part of the loaf and whoever figures out how to score a bread to give nothing but that is gonna get a nobel

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm thinking of doing sourdough bagels - looking at recipes they don't get a full proove, which is harder to judge with natural yeast. I guess I should just fridge it a few hours before normally and then do the boil in water thingy in the morning as usual.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I tried to bake some anise seed bread, today. Yadda yadda yadda I goofed up and it burned. Kinda disappointed in myself. It doesn't look so bad when seen through my 200mm camera lens:

Spun around 180 and shot with a 10mm lens shows a lot more of the whoopsie:

DANG IT! I'm friggin trying again...

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I took a stab at the Tartine Country loaf recipe and while not a complete failure, it did come out dense and heavy. I cant tell if this is under or overproofed.

The recipe went as expected, but bulk fermentation took 10 hours before barely getting to the required 30% rise. Recipe expects this to happen within 3-4 hours. I thought maybe its a weak starter, but my starter was two weeks old and consistently was quadrupling 4 hours after each feeding. The leaven had no problem rising/developing in the recipe's suggested timeframe.

Books On Tape fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 30, 2023

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Books On Tape posted:

The recipe went as expected, but bulk fermentation took 10 hours before barely getting to the required 30% rise. Recipe expects this to happen within 3-4 hours. I thought maybe its a weak starter, but my starter was two weeks old and consistently was quadrupling 4 hours after each feeding. The leaven had no problem rising/developing in the recipe's suggested timeframe.

Do you know what your final dough temperature and proofing temp was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Aramoro posted:

Do you know what your final dough temperature and proofing temp was?

Throughout the bulk fermentation, it was anywhere from 78-83 degrees, mostly around 80. I used my oven with the light on which stays around 83 degrees.

Recipes says to monitor this so the dough temp is between 78-82.

I did final proof overnight in the fridge and when I pulled it out it was about 45 degrees.

It's weird. Everything else was perfect, there were bubbles, the windowpane test was perfect, but it just took forever to rise to where it needed to be and I wonder if I ended up overproofing.