Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

armpit_enjoyer posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1618247681666875392

GoldenEye 007 drops on the Switch and Game Pass this Friday.

I can't wait for a whole new generation to discover that Goleneye is actually really bad but nobody realized it at the time because they had never played a good console shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

"Eww, gross!" - Isaac D.Space

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Infinitum posted:

Dead Space sucks cause it has scary monsters in it, and I'm a big baby

is it Dead Space or Dead Space 2 where you have to get into a machine that stabs your eyes?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gripweed posted:

is it Dead Space or Dead Space 2 where you have to get into a machine that stabs your eyes?

There's a whole self-eye-stabbing minigame and a lovely little cutscene of your face getting mangled if you gently caress it up

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Goldeneye rules, sorry haters.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gripweed posted:

dead space 2, and it's a real bastard of a minigame to boot

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Barry Convex posted:

so Hogwarts Legacy apparently lets you kill people with impunity?

https://www.gamesradar.com/hogwarts-legacy-preview/

The developers believe they have a responsibility to not judge people who choose to be evil? Why?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gripweed posted:

The developers believe they have a responsibility to not judge people who choose to be evil? Why?

they're working with J.K. Rowling

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/masksofpower/status/1618290403291332610?s=20&t=w99rkLQ8FFRkwHRUjbE3WA

Hell yeah Bionicles

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I guess

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gripweed posted:

maybe because theyre making a video game

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Oxxidation posted:

all those peevish blokes with their muggle jokes
you better run, better run, outrun my wand
all those silly slags with their magic bags
you better run, better run faster than my curses

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Gripweed posted:

Being evil is loving badass

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

maybe because theyre making a video game

How does that confer a responsibility to not be anti-evil?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i dont think you have a responsibility to make some kind of moral statement in your game just because you can kill random NPCs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Goldeneye rules, sorry haters.

Everyone loves Goldeneye tho

:confuoot:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vermain posted:

my favorite DSR change is definitely the fact that they turned isaac from a crewcut mid 2000s space marine into the dweebiest looking motherfucker this side of saturn, which is what a far future space engineer should look like anyways

This is what he looked like in DS1 original

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the only way i'll buy hogwarts is if it's a GTA clone with broomstick drive bys

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i dont think you have a responsibility to make some kind of moral statement in your game just because you can kill random NPCs

Sure, but why would you have a moral responsibility to not make a moral statement?

That's what's weird. They aren't like, "hey we made a sandbox where players can do whatever" which is common or normal, but instead they're "we gave you options to explicitly become evil, there are buttons in the game that make your character undeniably and unforgivably evil, and we felt a moral responsibility that, having given the character that option, we at no point let the player feel like they made a bad or morally dubious choice when they chose to literally become evil"

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Gripweed posted:

Sure, but why would you have a moral responsibility to not make a moral statement?

That's what's weird. They aren't like, "hey we made a sandbox where players can do whatever" which is common or normal, but instead they're "we gave you options to explicitly become evil, there are buttons in the game that make your character undeniably and unforgivably evil, and we felt a moral responsibility that, having given the character that option, we at no point let the player feel like they made a bad or morally dubious choice when they chose to literally become evil"

So the empire story lines shouldn't have existed in the star wars mmo?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its a fantasy world with explicit light/dark alignments OP. i think it's normal in that context that the game shouldn't present that and then go "by the way we want it to be clear that we personally think the bad guys are wrong, morally"

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Infinitum posted:

Everyone loves Goldeneye tho

:confuoot:

id rather play perfect dark

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I don't know I never played the star wars mmo.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its a fantasy world with explicit light/dark alignments OP. i think it's normal in that context that the game shouldn't present that and then go "by the way we want it to be clear that we personally think the bad guys are wrong, morally"

But why is that ideal?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
why does it have to be "ideal"? it sounds like the game reacts to you doing good boy/bad boy stuff but doesn't have an explicit morality system. i don't think that's a weird setup at all, and it's not like morality systems don't introduce their own set of problems

its just a certain way of implementing this kind of thing in gameplay, it sounds like.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I took their statement to mean there are no explicit light/dark alignments. That is to say you can play a goody two-shoes who occasionally conjurs forbidden magic to commit murder, and nothing about your playthrough will change. Which to me basically means "we couldn't get the alignment system working in time so we took it out and made up some poo poo about how it would impede the player's almighty choices".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
oh I meant I thought the setting had like, in-universe "evil"/"dark" as a faction like fantasy settings commonly do but i read like one of the books ever

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Devs: The game's not going to tut-tut you for the role you want to play

People: But the morality!

Volte posted:

I took their statement to mean there are no explicit light/dark alignments. That is to say you can play a goody two-shoes who occasionally conjurs forbidden magic to commit murder, and nothing about your playthrough will change. Which to me basically means "we couldn't get the alignment system working in time so we took it out and made up some poo poo about how it would impede the player's almighty choices".

It really is this

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

must be some way to pull this thread away from fail harry potter discussion..... *sees image of new bluetooth "audio leak proof" microphone*

now we're talking!!! (and none of it leaks out)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah the way it sounds to me is that students around you will pull a face and go "Woah, that was really evil!" and then continue as usual. If there's more to it than that, they're really bad at selling it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

This is what he looked like in DS1 original

oh yeah, i think i'm too used to DS2 isaac where he's looking way meatier

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
he flunked out of the Sony game protagonist auditions

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

why does it have to be "ideal"? it sounds like the game reacts to you doing good boy/bad boy stuff but doesn't have an explicit morality system. i don't think that's a weird setup at all, and it's not like morality systems don't introduce their own set of problems

its just a certain way of implementing this kind of thing in gameplay, it sounds like.

I’m not talking about a morality system, read the original quote. This is about the developers giving the players to be explicitly evil, not “dark side” or whatever but ontologically evil, but also not wanting the player to feel morally judged for their choice. That’s weird morally and incoherent thematically.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Gripweed posted:

I’m not talking about a morality system, read the original quote. This is about the developers giving the players to be explicitly evil, not “dark side” or whatever but ontologically evil, but also not wanting the player to feel morally judged for their choice. That’s weird morally and incoherent thematically.
The original developers were talking about a morality system, which is the system that assigns you light side and dark side points or whatever. They said they don't want the players to feel punished by a morality system (i.e. you did an evil thing, you can't do X now), not that they don't want the players to feel morally judged.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Pretty sure that’s just an enemy from The Suffering

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i loving love everything on this stupid company website

what if miiverse was a tablet

what if life had chromatic aberration

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 25, 2023

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I feel like I'm looking at someone's college project about free speech

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

oh I meant I thought the setting had like, in-universe "evil"/"dark" as a faction like fantasy settings commonly do but i read like one of the books ever

I'm so confused by this discussion. Isn't the whole point of Harry Potter that there are good wizards who are centrist middle class followers of the rules, and then there are the evil wizards who are extremely posh and/or extremely working class (who are subservient to the posh ones), and the evil wizards do murder, which is bad. There are zero shades of grey in that book.

Like in the context of that franchise it's weird that you can do open world style murders but with no consequences. Just take the murder out of the game.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

The 7th Guest posted:

i loving love everything on this stupid company website

what if miiverse was a tablet

what if life had chromatic aberration

Hello!
I'm CRoQY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

Being evil is loving badass

i think being a lone beacon of good in a world full of evil is way more badass

TheWorldsaStage posted:

the star wars mmo was good because it let you still be a good guy even on the empire side, and it always confused the hell out of the npcs

especially being a light side sith warrior, it was very much a "we will show them our peaceful ways, BY FORCE" thing that amused me greatly