Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Keito posted:

Windows keeps putting an Edge icon on my desktop despite me continuing to delete it, how do I make it stop?

https://www.ghacks.net/2023/01/21/how-to-block-microsoft-edge-from-creating-desktop-shortcuts/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have a laptop I haven't used in a while. Colors seem really crushed, as if it's not using full 8-bit color. I feel like it used to be better a few months ago when I last used it. Is there a way I can figure out if there's some color settings fuckery going on from a recent Windows update?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did Win 11 gently caress up Paint? Besides the unnecessary ui changes (they look fine, but take up too much space), it runs like crap for me. If my laptop is unplugged I don't get a constant view of what I'm drawing. It chugs and only updates the image in intervals. Changing to the Best Performance power mode doesn't help.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Did Win 11 gently caress up Paint? Besides the unnecessary ui changes (they look fine, but take up too much space), it runs like crap for me. If my laptop is unplugged I don't get a constant view of what I'm drawing. It chugs and only updates the image in intervals. Changing to the Best Performance power mode doesn't help.

Probably, but also check what frequency your cpu is running in task manager. On my Lenovo Yoga when waking from sleep cpu is stuck in some kind of degraded state with either 800 or even 400 mhz. that is "fixed" by temporary plugging the power cable.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Runs fine for me but imo yes they hosed up Paint.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

Of course they did. This is still not fixed:

mobby_6kl posted:

No keyboard either.

Go open Paint. Press Alt-F to open the File menu and... nothing. Click on the title bar and press Alt-F. Then click in the paint area and press Alt-F. loving nothing lol. You have to give focus to the menu bar before it works, and even then it insists on beeping at you.

The menus were figured out twenty five years ago how it this broken now lmao.

but it runs ok even on a Celeron potato. Still, you can thankfully run the Win95 Paint without problems: https://archive.org/details/MSPaintWin95

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Alternatively, you could use an actual good lightweight image editor like paint.net:

https://www.getpaint.net/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I use it for doodling, which paint was just right at.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I love paint.net but it’s still too interface-ey for the kind of stuff I use paint for

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mobby_6kl posted:

Of course they did. This is still not fixed:

but it runs ok even on a Celeron potato. Still, you can thankfully run the Win95 Paint without problems: https://archive.org/details/MSPaintWin95

Old versions of paint were basically unusable for jpegs. It would set the compression so high that every pic became a blurry mess.

Oh my god, new paint has ribbon style menus but there's no tabs and it won't collapse. How is Microsloth this bad at consistency.

But yeah, just use paint.net

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
W7/W10 Paint is still a killer app for cropping and simple image markup. I unironically keep old versions of it, awaiting the day MS does another stupid and deletes a totally functional piece of software (Which I guess has now happened on W11).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

..btt posted:

Alternatively, you could use an actual good lightweight image editor like paint.net:

https://www.getpaint.net/

This is a little choppy unplugged too.

e:I guess it might not be the apps' fault, but instead something's causing my laptop to run worse unplugged after upgrading to 11

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 25, 2023

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Rinkles posted:

This is a little choppy unplugged too.

e:I guess it might not be the apps' fault, but instead something's causing my laptop to run worse unplugged after upgrading to 11

Maybe your power settings are throttling the machine somehow when running off battery? Check the power options control panel.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

..btt posted:

Maybe your power settings are throttling the machine somehow when running off battery? Check the power options control panel.

I double checked and it's the same as it was before the upgrade. And even switching to Best Performance in Settings doesn't fix it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Idgi I use paint all the time still and there are no issues. Are you guys using AMD hardware or something?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i5 8250u. And I don't think it's a widespread problem, just something on my laptop.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Rinkles posted:

i5 8250u. And I don't think it's a widespread problem, just something on my laptop.

What frequency is in the task manager on batery? Also have you tried to plug/unplug power when you notice the slowness.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MikusR posted:

What frequency is in the task manager on batery? Also have you tried to plug/unplug power when you notice the slowness.

A little hard to say since it's variable. ~1-1.6GHz, with occasional jumps to higher frequencies. Similar when plugged in.

The difference seems to be that when I'm unplugged it takes a second or two for the frequency to jump when I'm dragging the brush. Plugged in it shoots up to 3GHz right away, hence no visual delay.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I use paint.NET on a first gen Ryzen and I have no stuttering issues on 10 or 11.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

A little hard to say since it's variable. ~1-1.6GHz, with occasional jumps to higher frequencies. Similar when plugged in.

The difference seems to be that when I'm unplugged it takes a second or two for the frequency to jump when I'm dragging the brush. Plugged in it shoots up to 3GHz right away, hence no visual delay.

Yeah sounds like it's something weird with the CPU settings. Try ThrottleStop and post a screenshot. It'll show the values for various CPU power/boost settings.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah sounds like it's something weird with the CPU settings. Try ThrottleStop and post a screenshot. It'll show the values for various CPU power/boost settings.

The link is https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/. See that limits button.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also I realized the stuttery behavior only happens when I'm using the mouse to draw. It's fluid with the trackpad.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

codo27 posted:

Idgi I use paint all the time still and there are no issues. Are you guys using AMD hardware or something?

I love the stonefaced implication that AMD or its Windows drivers are so poo poo that Paint is too big an ask.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Rinkles posted:

Also I realized the stuttery behavior only happens when I'm using the mouse to draw. It's fluid with the trackpad.

I misread that as sluttery behavior.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

c0burn posted:

I won't because I do too. You'll pry 3dfx cards and directx 7 from my cold dead hands.

my pentium 3 733mhz and Nvidia MX4000 makes sure all yo kids dont grow (in quake 2)

I can play soldier of fortune at like 25fps in 800x600. now that's ballin

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Rinkles posted:

good old bd_prochot. you can try taking off the checkbox. If you are lucky and your laptop doesn't have a firmware update that makes the pc crash with it disabled.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i don't think thermal throttling is gonna be the issue running paint

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

site posted:

i don't think thermal throttling is gonna be the issue running paint

My T480 used to throttle down to 400MHz at the drop of a hat, which made it completely unusable. Some combination of Throttlestop undervolting profile, disabling the onboard MX150 graphics, and maybe Windows updates eventually resolved it, but it would have absolutely caused something as innocuous as Paint to become dead slow.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah if Paint is running slow then I'd immediately think about throttling or something hogging the cpu being the issue

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
only when using a mouse, but fine with the trackpad? why would that not be a clue?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If your regular mouse causes trouble, but the trackpad works fine, maybe also try with a third mouse. Ideally one as simple as possible, wired and no fancy features.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

EoRaptor posted:

If the windows stay up until you close them, open task manager, switch to the details tab, right click on the headers, choose 'select columns', enable 'command line', expand that column so you can see what the prompts where doing. This should reveal the path to whatever they ran, so you can investigate further.

Following up on this, my PC had been out of commission for a couple days but I fired it up today and the three windows appeared again. They do indeed persist until I close them. Each of the windows has the following content:

code:
[process exited with code 0 (0x00000000)]
So I assume it'll show up with a status other than "Running"? There are four items in the task manager that fit the criteria, listed as "Suspended":

Anything pop out as suspect to those more experienced than myself?

e: maybe my assumption that these windows would be those listed as suspended is bad, because I thought to close them one by one and see what disappeared and nothing changed. Huh. Not sure how to isolate which item in the task manager is which window.

ee: Oh, it'll just show up as cmd.exe, won't it. Well, I'll try again next time. :downs:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 27, 2023

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Maybe you've all done this already, but why on earth did they change the right click menu?

The only things I ever right clicked for was copy, paste, rename, delete, and 7-zip related functions. And now I cant do any of that without clicking on a second menu. Who greenlit this 'feature'?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

cubicle gangster posted:

Maybe you've all done this already, but why on earth did they change the right click menu?

The only things I ever right clicked for was copy, paste, rename, delete, and 7-zip related functions. And now I cant do any of that without clicking on a second menu. Who greenlit this 'feature'?

You can do copy paste rename etc., they are the icons at the top. It's cleaner in theory and I like the direction, but like most new things in Windows, it's half-baked and awkwardly bolted onto the old.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Pvt. Parts posted:

You can do copy paste rename etc., they are the icons at the top. It's cleaner in theory and I like the direction, but like most new things in Windows, it's half-baked and awkwardly bolted onto the old.
I did not know rename was above, I use keyboard shortcuts for cut, copy and paste as God intended.

I'm surprised I didn't learn the rename one, because right click has annoyed me.

It's F2 supposedly

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cubicle gangster posted:

They changed it because those extra functions, such as the 7zip fold-out menu, are dll extensions. And it was possible -- either by having dozens of them or one of them being written by a lovely programmer -- for those to cause problems or lovely performance for explorer.

You can get the old classic right click menu back:
https://windowsreport.com/windows-11-right-click-show-all-options/

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Klyith posted:

They changed it because those extra functions, such as the 7zip fold-out menu, are dll extensions. And it was possible -- either by having dozens of them or one of them being written by a lovely programmer -- for those to cause problems or lovely performance for explorer.

You can get the old classic right click menu back:
https://windowsreport.com/windows-11-right-click-show-all-options/

Yeah I don't...super love the move, but I also definitely had a few windows installs where my right click menu ended up being the length of a CVS receipt, so I can sort of see their thought pattern.

TBH the better solution would probably be a way to have an option to 'show all the time' for stuff in the submenu, which would let folks move the stuff they actually care about up to the first class treatment, while still having access to the every once in a while arcane stuff in the submenu.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Pvt. Parts posted:

Fucks sake i didn't realize that they switch from the bottom to the top arbitrarily. I thought it only came up for specific file types.
So we've streamlined the menu, but depending on where your mouse pointer is, the other of things changes. very clean.

The correct way to have handled this would be to allow people to customize what's on it. I could strip out half the options and get down to a super lean right click menu.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

cubicle gangster posted:

Fucks sake i didn't realize that they switch from the bottom to the top arbitrarily. I thought it only came up for specific file types.
So we've streamlined the menu, but depending on where your mouse pointer is, the other of things changes. very clean.

The correct way to have handled this would be to allow people to customize what's on it. I could strip out half the options and get down to a super lean right click menu.

The cut/copy/paste icons stay nearest your cursor, since I guess they figured that's what people use right-click for the most (i.e. troglodytes who don't use keyboard shortcuts (or people who have accessibility needs)). Seems reasonable to me, if a bit surprising at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

Following up on this, my PC had been out of commission for a couple days but I fired it up today and the three windows appeared again. They do indeed persist until I close them. Each of the windows has the following content:

code:
[process exited with code 0 (0x00000000)]
So I assume it'll show up with a status other than "Running"? There are four items in the task manager that fit the criteria, listed as "Suspended":

Anything pop out as suspect to those more experienced than myself?

e: maybe my assumption that these windows would be those listed as suspended is bad, because I thought to close them one by one and see what disappeared and nothing changed. Huh. Not sure how to isolate which item in the task manager is which window.

ee: Oh, it'll just show up as cmd.exe, won't it. Well, I'll try again next time. :downs:

The 'Name' column may show up as cmd.exe or similar, but the command line should show up as 'cmd.exe /c c:\path\to\file\command.bat' which will be more revealing. You'll need to figure out what the process is, usually by window title (cmd, powershell, etc) and look at the names in the Task Manager that match to find the offending command line.