Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
https://fallout.bethesda.net/tr/article/FFcr1D1KqXUD2JbkRHlqx/fallout-76-inside-the-vault-illegal-weapon-mod-removal-update-and-weekend

Brace yourselves, the whining from people who will now have to actually use a half decent build instead of simply aiming a Legacy in the general direction of whatever needs to die will be deafening.

A quick summary:

1) Legacies and hacked weapons get the axe.
2) Gunpowder is now junk/scrap and not Misc.
3) Radium Rifle mods can be learned much faster.

3 is cool, after 2000 levels I might finally be able to learn the remaining mods for this garbage weapon.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Sensenmann posted:

Brace yourselves, the whining from people who will now have to actually use a half decent build instead of simply aiming a Legacy in the general direction of whatever needs to die will be deafening.

drat bro, did a legacy user kill your dad or something?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

i flunked out posted:

Probably, those things kill everything at events. It's kind of obnoxious.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Legacies and orbital strikes can gently caress off.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Legacies and orbital strikes can gently caress off.

I hadn't even considered people might do orbital strikes at events. I don't know if the devs considered how annoying those neato explosion spams they designed for single player might be in a multiplayer setting.

What weapon fires the minigun speed explosive shotgun blasts? That's the one that bugs me the most because even the big heavy creatures get downed before you can pop off a round and at least get partial credit.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Pepper shaker?

I don't know. My dirty weapon is an explosive gatling gun that you can speed up by mashing aim repeatedly. It kills fast but not legacy weapon fast.

Orbital strikes are annoying because they're so blinding. Can't see poo poo for 3sec after one hits, and people spam the drat things.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 23, 2023

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

Probably, those things kill everything at events. It's kind of obnoxious.

do you think people using cheese strats and trying to kill everything as fast as possible will go away?

the legacies will go away and will be immediately replaced by grenade and fatman spamming, which will crash your game regularly. The reality is that despite this attitude:

Sensenmann posted:

people who will now have to actually use a half decent build instead of simply aiming a Legacy in the general direction of whatever

(which to a certain extent is true) there's a decent amount of people who use legacies because this game isnt balanced, has not been balanced since the release of the game. Even with lovely builds, once you're past level 100 or so, the game becomes repetitive boring and honestly kind of easy. the high level enemies are mostly just bullet sponges, and the amount of builds that are viable in endgame content are limited by the current balance of the game.

Legacies are a problem, but are also symptoms of larger problems that wont just go away because bethesda gets rid of legacies.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

For my part maybe I'm just whining because these games are typically my go to power fantasy where I'm the hero and I feel completely unnecessary in most events. Like hooray for loot, but I'd have enjoyed getting that loot more if I felt like I contributed.

I guess that daily ops and expeditions are supposed to take care of that somewhat, but they are tuned in such a way that I can really only solo them effectively with my most powerful build, even leaning on auto-melee being broke as hell when things get rough or way too bullet-spongey.

Fallout 76: A Mixed Bag

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

For my part maybe I'm just whining because these games are typically my go to power fantasy where I'm the hero and I feel completely unnecessary in most events. Like hooray for loot, but I'd have enjoyed getting that loot more if I felt like I contributed.

I get this and tbh its a pretty valid criticism that i dont think bethesda considered at all in creating a multiplayer fallout.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sensenmann posted:

https://fallout.bethesda.net/tr/article/FFcr1D1KqXUD2JbkRHlqx/fallout-76-inside-the-vault-illegal-weapon-mod-removal-update-and-weekend

A quick summary:

1) Legacies and hacked weapons get the axe.
2) Gunpowder is now junk/scrap and not Misc.
3) Radium Rifle mods can be learned much faster.

3 is cool, after 2000 levels I might finally be able to learn the remaining mods for this garbage weapon.

RIP in PISS all my cool guns :( Double Explosive Flamer, QE Laser rifle, Nocturnal Explosive Gatling Plasma. Should have traded you for armor sets back before the nerf was announced.

i flunked out posted:

there's a decent amount of people who use legacies because this game isnt balanced, has not been balanced since the release of the game. Even with lovely builds, once you're past level 100 or so, the game becomes repetitive boring and honestly kind of easy. the high level enemies are mostly just bullet sponges, and the amount of builds that are viable in endgame content are limited by the current balance of the game.

Legacies are a problem, but are also symptoms of larger problems that wont just go away because bethesda gets rid of legacies.

The game stopped having cool new content before the BoS questline dropped. DOs, The Pitt, and the scoreboard stuff don't offset the fact that there hasn't been anything new that doesn't require a shitload of skinnerbox grinding to get, and when you get it, it's kinda underwhelming.

Butcher 76 feral ghoul pig buttholes to earn 50 score! Earn 7600 score to get a PA skin you'll never use! There's basically no point in NOT using whatever bullshit I-WIN toy you have handy do your daily score grind.

And yeah, once you're level 300ish and have enough banked legendaries saved up to have decent build variety, the game isn't hard at all. You need to specifically go out of your way to be challenged in this game, with stupid gimmick builds like pistols only, or Cowboy Cleetus, or David Bowie.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I miss nuclear winter, the only part of fallout 76 where the 10mm pistol or double barrel shotgun were actually viable weapons because there was some semblance of balance to that mode.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

i flunked out posted:

I miss nuclear winter, the only part of fallout 76 where the 10mm pistol or double barrel shotgun were actually viable weapons because there was some semblance of balance to that mode.

After they announced it was going away, a LOT of people poopsocked that mode, and drat was it fun to be a solo bush wookie with an AGL and dumpstering an entire team 10 minutes in to win the match.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
God I loving miss nuclear winter.

And I still can't show off my goddamn trophies and statues because they were removed from floor decor.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Worth getting the Pitt bundle or should I just go for the base game?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

i flunked out posted:

Nah, I have legacies myself, I was just summarizing what the next couple of weeks on Reddit and the various Discords will feel like.

Most legacy users didn't go nuts with them, it's the hacked stuff that was the real problem.

The only good thing that might come from this is that Bethesda might finally balance the Queen a bit more.

Earle and the Titan are fine but she's still got problems

Never landing with crippled limbs, chasing roaches on the other side of the nuke zones, adds spawning in mid air and falling to their death...

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SplitSoul posted:

Worth getting the Pitt bundle or should I just go for the base game?

The cheapest possible version.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Patch notes

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/4LWLfhHt0imV3pj1zunTNU/fallout-76-update-notes-january-24-2023

Some pretty good things in there, all things considered.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Gunpowder being junk now is huge.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
The Radaway Diluted debuff finally getting brought in line with normal Radaway is cool as well.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I was just checking the roadmap and it looks like season 12 starts Feb 28th.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Plasma Cores appear to be broken. If you carry, for example, 50 Cores with you you can literally shoot only 50 times before the core gets reloaded.

There also seem to be issue with weight reduction modifiers on armor.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Sensenmann posted:

Plasma Cores appear to be broken. If you carry, for example, 50 Cores with you you can literally shoot only 50 times before the core gets reloaded.

There also seem to be issue with weight reduction modifiers on armor.

I'd be curious to see if ultracite plasma cores still work right, because it would be funny to me.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'd be curious to see if ultracite plasma cores still work right, because it would be funny to me.

They don't, I only use UC Cores. It's really annoying because your ammo tab gets cluttered the gently caress up. lol

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Sensenmann posted:

They don't, I only use UC Cores. It's really annoying because your ammo tab gets cluttered the gently caress up. lol

Yeah, I did a brief stint with a gatling plasma to try and use up some cores and bang out an energy weapon challenge and I habitually hit reload any time there's a pause. So I end up with like 9 cores at varying charge levels. Makes me wish it just used microfusion cells or something.

Also, those things break WAY too easily. I had to stop and repair one in the middle of an eviction notice event.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Yeah, durability isn't that great but if you kill the Queen a couple of times the repair kits start to pile up. ;)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Is that why I seem to have a never ending supply of improved repair kits? I swear I'll log out with 85 of them and next time I'm on I've magically gained 10 or so.

Same for perfect bubblegum. I don't think I've had less than 50 in my inventory all season.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Sensenmann posted:

Yeah, durability isn't that great but if you kill the Queen a couple of times the repair kits start to pile up. ;)

So that must be where I got them. I was doing bench repairs on everything and realized I had like 20+ kits of each type accrued. I get the daily freebies too but didn't think I had hoarded quite that many.

I was going to hang on to repair kits for things breaking while I am out and about but right now I just use an improved kit every time something dips into repairable range. It's kind of absurd how resilient power armor is, by the way.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Booooo.

My button mash gatling gun has been fixed.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Improved Repair kits can be rewarded for completing Scorched Earth and Encryptid.

I think Project Paradise as well but that event is not very popular.

The basic variant can be a free daily Atomic Shop item or be bought with atoms. Which you shouldn’t do since the improved ones are better and for free.

Check your inventories, you might have loads without realising how heavy 100+ actually are.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Yeah I think the basic ones are less than a pound for a stack but the improved might have been about 15 lbs? I might be thinking of another stack of some kind, though.

I ended up burning a bunch of legendary modules trying to get a really good roll on a gauss shotgun in part because the weight on the modules adds up and I've been using them as a scrip sink since I maxed out.

That reminds me, is Instigating good on a gauss shotgun or since its a shotgun would it only apply to one projectile and thus be a fraction of what you might think? So far my best pulls have been Aristocrats and a Troubleshooters with +25% damage when aiming.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
There are no bad rolls for a Gauss shotty but I‘d go with AA, Vamp or Quad over instigating.

At least for boss fights. As daily driver anything that’s not Berserker works just fine.

Edit: use VATS, otherwise you’ll lose a lot of damage.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

That reminds me, is Instigating good on a gauss shotgun or since its a shotgun would it only apply to one projectile and thus be a fraction of what you might think? So far my best pulls have been Aristocrats and a Troubleshooters with +25% damage when aiming.

It is like the other shotguns in that regard

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
instigating was one of the most affected by the change on how damage was calculated tbh. It went from being very op to just kind of ok, and on shotguns or other pelleted weapons, it got nerfed hardcore.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I figured that was probably the case. The numbers on this thing are pretty impressive, around 730 per shot before adrenaline kicks in and adds another 200 or so, but I could tell most of the time it doesn't all make it to the target. I did put a prime receiver on it though and it chews through scorchbeasts faster than anything else I've used, so overall I'm pretty impressed. I'm around 20k caps too, so it has a bit of room to grow. I should collect all the mods so I can try different things to improve accuracy/range, that made a pretty big difference on the double barrel I was using.

It also seems to be ammo positive, at the end of the day I had more rounds than I crafted.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Is there an .ini setting for brightness or something?

Game is janky as hell, but I'm enjoying exploring and looting nonetheless.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

I usually just get by with the pip-boy light, though that will make it impossible to sneak and tends to completely wash out the lighting in some areas. I always change the RGB on my pip boy to pure white so it doesn't make everything green when I use it.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

If you have an Nvidia card, Alt+F3 brings up the Freestyle menu so you can apply filters to the game.

No idea if AMD has a similar overlay or not.

Edit: Freestyle requires to have Geforce Experience installed. If you are like me and don't have it, maybe there is a Reshade somewhere?

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 25, 2023

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Seems the nuclear winter rewards are back in floor decor.

I will not tolerate nuclear winter erasure.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Why did they call it Fallout 76 instead of Fallout Fourever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

NofrikinfuN posted:

I usually just get by with the pip-boy light, though that will make it impossible to sneak and tends to completely wash out the lighting in some areas. I always change the RGB on my pip boy to pure white so it doesn't make everything green when I use it.

It's too bright outside generally is my problem.

I do have Experience installed, though, so I'll give that a try.