Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

*shareholder grumbles intensify*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

My bike drinks 3,9l/100km on average, my car takes 6,45. At current prices, that is definitely more economical by a longshot (especially as the car is a Diesel). I'd argue I'm riding the bike more aggressively (in regards to throttle) some of the time, so I could certainly reduce that a bit as well.

My CB500x also reports 3.9 L/100 km :hfive:

Have we checked to make sure that it isn’t just a decal applied to the instrument screen…?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Nofeed posted:

My CB500x also reports 3.9 L/100 km :hfive:

Have we checked to make sure that it isn’t just a decal applied to the instrument screen…?

My 3,9 value is not taken from the bike, but rather measured across all refuelings.

Jazzzzz posted:

90 degree valve stems should be standard on most every street bike, but they cost a few bucks more, so nyah

Honda built them into my bike so yeah.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Oh that's right, my Monkey has them, too!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

My cb300r does not. :(

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Geekboy posted:

Spending $2 to make your customer happier and safer is just pants on head crazy talk.

KTM instead offsets the hole in the rear rim for the TPMS valve lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Harley offset the hole on everything except the sportster

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

my bike makes a rhythmic squeaking noisethat doesn't change in volume when squeezing either brake. a little while ago i started noticing a slight vibration and i think this is a progression of that. do i have a shot wheel bearing?

e: also the chain is loose, but that seems pretty straightforward to fix

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 3, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*devastating sigh* what kind of bike is it

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

red

e: 2008 honda crf230f

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 3, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok so does it make the noise when you're braking? Or all the time? Does it correlate to speed or rpm?

If it's all the time and the brake thing is a non sequitur and it correlates to your speed then yeah you need to check the wheel bearings by getting a given wheel off the ground, grabbing it top and bottom and wiggling to see if it's loose. If it's not then it could be the chain, although it would have to be catastrophic for you to be able to feel a vibration. You might also have a buckled wheel or something of that nature.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

yes, i pulled the clutch and revving the engine made no change to the noise. So i knew it was correlated to speed. i tried pulling each brake individually to see if that changed anything because it seemed a prudent and easy check for a squeaking noise correlated to speed, to see if it was a warped disc or something. sorry for the "non sequitur"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*presses envelope to forehead*

I’m going to go first with wheel bearing, second guess is trashed chain.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I kept waffling between Diablo Rosso IVs and Road 6s and ordered a set of both to see how I felt when they got here. My commute is a straight line and my weekend trips are mostly cruising around the burbs for a few hours- I figure there's not really a wrong answer but am I off the mark guessing the Michelins would be better in my use case?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Tires are designed with a use case in mind, so you could be using the "wrong" tire, but it's not like you're gonna damage anything. It's usually just wasted money, and ostensibly some performance sacrifice. Road 6 will almost surely be better in cold, wet weather than Diablo Rosso IV, but that doesn't mean you can't use the Pirellis in the same way. They're simply not going to last as long ("square off"), and when it gets really cold, they might not grip as well (rubber only stays pliable within a certain temperature range, which varies based on how the compound is formed. Different tires use different compounds, with the Road 6 opting for a wider but perhaps skewed colder operating range with maybe less outright adhesion compared to the Pirelli).

If you're just cruising around in a mostly straight line, then the Michellins are probably the better choice just from a milage perspective. I had a pair of Bridgestone RS10s I ruined in only 1,000mi because I ended up doing a lot of freeway riding on them, which is not what they're meant for.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The Rosso's are more fun to corner on as they are more tippy. Having a blast on mine.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Rossos, both iii and iv, handle the cold and wet periods in the norwegian spring and fall season fine. I've had zero issues with lots of wet rides in 5c/40f weather. Sure they wear faster than the roads, but grip if cold and wet is not an issue. if you enjoy corners and twisty technical roads the pirellies are really fun and confidence inspiring.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 4, 2023

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Toe Rag posted:

Tires are designed with a use case in mind, so you could be using the "wrong" tire, but it's not like you're gonna damage anything. It's usually just wasted money, and ostensibly some performance sacrifice. Road 6 will almost surely be better in cold, wet weather than Diablo Rosso IV, but that doesn't mean you can't use the Pirellis in the same way. They're simply not going to last as long ("square off"), and when it gets really cold, they might not grip as well (rubber only stays pliable within a certain temperature range, which varies based on how the compound is formed. Different tires use different compounds, with the Road 6 opting for a wider but perhaps skewed colder operating range with maybe less outright adhesion compared to the Pirelli).

If you're just cruising around in a mostly straight line, then the Michellins are probably the better choice just from a milage perspective. I had a pair of Bridgestone RS10s I ruined in only 1,000mi because I ended up doing a lot of freeway riding on them, which is not what they're meant for.

Cold and wet isn't a huge issue in my part of the country, but yeah freeway miles rack up here. Just to get to anything resembling twisties/country roads I have to hit the interstate for about 30 minutes to an hour. My heart says the Diablos but my gut and brain are going to go with the Roads.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

*presses envelope to forehead*

I’m going to go first with wheel bearing, second guess is trashed chain.

it was something so weird that you'd have to have been psychic to guess: when the chain jumped off the wheel it grabbed a little metal tab that held the chain guard in place and bent it so that it was rubbing on the sidewall of the tire. the sidewall's fine, it didn't even rub off the lettering

i bent it back, tightened the chain, and spent an afternoon playing in the muddy woods, falling over

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Newton meters and foot pounds are actually very different.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It sucks to learn that the hard way

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

No real harm done, thankfully. Just had to take off a skid plate and return it to stock. Might request a new install kit from SW Motech, but honestly one of the bolts was in a maddeningly tight space and it looks like it will have to come off for every oil change, so I might just consider it an expensive lesson.

I won’t forget the lesson now, though!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The lesson is learn how tight things actually are, numbers are for chumps

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Our mechanic partner said pretty much the same thing. Along with shrugging and saying he’s sure I’ll never make the same mistake again.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Anything going into steel you can pretty safely do by feel.
Anything going into aluminium alloy - be a bit more careful. I learned that on my bicycle, luckily. The sensation of stripping aluminium threads is very peculiar.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Also occurred to me that the bolt I broke didn't need the extra washer I had on it because I read the instructions wrong, so I over-torqued it with a ton of pressure on a small area of the bolt, too.

When the heated grips kit shows up, I'll ... uh ... make sure they're installed while I have the house's proper mechanic around to help. Doesn't look complicated at all, but I want to safely expand my skills here.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Geekboy posted:

When the heated grips kit shows up, I'll ... uh ... make sure they're installed while I have the house's proper mechanic around to help. Doesn't look complicated at all, but I want to safely expand my skills here.

Heated grips aren't hard to install but on both times I've done it I had to carve away a bunch of protrusions on the stock throttle tubes. A sharp knife and some patience is all you absolutely need should you need to modify yours. Superglue might be involved to lock the new grips in which is always a little scary since you need to get the position right on the first try and a bad thing to spill on your nice fairings it turns out. Little if any torquing of bolts though, depending on your controller box setup and whether you want to take the throttle tube off the bike to shape it easier it might just be the bar end weights that need to come off, plus various plastic parts for neater cable routing.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

These were stock until a couple years ago, so since I got the OEM kit, it’s likely I won’t even butt up against anything quite that difficult. It’s already wired and cut for these, they just didn’t put them on for me.

Or at least, that’s the expectation. We’ll see once I’m in the middle of it, of course.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I still haven't managed to sell the little honda for the price I'm asking, so I might have to lower it a bit. It's still early in the season. The difference between what I'm asking and what I've been offered is exactly the price of a new set of motorcycle tires I want so I'm holding firm for a while longer.

I've been putting a few tanks of gas through the SV650 and starting to get comfy with it well past the point of missing the Honda 300. The streets are fairly clean at this point and once the stock tires that I don't love are warmed up I feel confident enough on it, even if I haven't ridden rural twisties in good conditions on it yet.
As a newbie I don't have that much to compare it to, but it seems to fit me and my current wants and needs just fine. These last few afternoons temperatures have been well into the centi-teens and when it's that warm I can't say I miss having a windscreen much and apart from the rock hard seat on longer rides I'm well pleased with the ergonomics. I have a long-ish motocamping trip planned for next weekend (weather permitting) and I'll see how I feel about the seat (and everything else) once that's over with. There are cushier options available and I probably wouldn't mind a slightly taller saddle height either.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Made a bad call and decided to ride up a trail/service road in the woods today. I've ridden it before, wasn't too bad. Looked a bit more intimidating today (steeper, the tracks deeper than I remembered), but pushed on anyway. Well the dirt was apparenlty damper than I thought and it only took like 5 meters for the rear to lose traction while the front was on the center ridge and I had to let the bike fall again as it toppeled over. I think the front delta landed directly on a rock in the middle raise section. Bike was in an awkward position and I really struggled to get it back up (despite 'only' 200kg). Realized that my wanting to train getting a fallen bike back up was totally warranted, because trying to apply tips from youtube videos I watched in the past didn't work out all that well.
After some dragging it around (horrible thing to have to do) and just hoisting it to like 20 degrees I managed to reach below and grab onto the rear peg and leverage it up with my arm.
No idea how to train this in a safe way tho.

In more positive news, the engine guard did it's job perfectly, I couldn't find any damage to anything else. Some marring on there, but that's what you want.

Also the crash sensor worked and I got a call from the emergency center, I guess it's good to know that that works lol.

I think I've decided to keep my bike on the road from now on, it's just too precious to me to scratch it up doing "offroad" exeriments. I would expect to drop it more often and I don't think I could stomache real damage. I've been on the lookout for a beater bike, but the market here sucks for smallish bikes.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Sometimes we reflect negatively on what sounds like an overall good situation. You learned quite a lot with limited consequences, save a bit of stress and sweat.
I wouldn't get put off offroading too badly.
You may be aware of this but if possible you want to lift the bike with the help of gravity, which may mean spinning the wheels to be downhill, so you're lifting it, say, 75 degrees around a low axis not 105 from a high one.
Also functional strength training helps a lot off-road, both in riding and in recovering from a topple, and preventing injury. Squats and deadlifts a couple of times a week will make a huge difference.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Shelvocke posted:

Sometimes we reflect negatively on what sounds like an overall good situation. You learned quite a lot with limited consequences, save a bit of stress and sweat.
I wouldn't get put off offroading too badly.
You may be aware of this but if possible you want to lift the bike with the help of gravity, which may mean spinning the wheels to be downhill, so you're lifting it, say, 75 degrees around a low axis not 105 from a high one.
Also functional strength training helps a lot off-road, both in riding and in recovering from a topple, and preventing injury. Squats and deadlifts a couple of times a week will make a huge difference.

I'm not turned off offroading, just doing it on my current bike.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

yeah dude the way you started that post i thought you were posting from the hospital

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

SEKCobra posted:

I'm not turned off offroading, just doing it on my current bike.

I was scrolling around to see what bike you had. CB500X? The smaller adventure bikes are hard to use on anything but hard pack dirt or gravel. Shinko 705s are unusable in grass, mud, loose stuff.

I have a Versys X 300. I mostly was using it for commuting. Tracked it a few times, took it off road once.

After the third time at the track I was running out of front suspension on a specific turn
I bottomed it out in dirt and it felt horrible. The handling didn't...inspire confidence. Quickly stopped doing that.

I didn't want to buy a different bike yet, and I feel these bikes are advertised like they can do anything which is really annoying in hindsight.

I upgraded the front suspension with Racetech, and Heidenau K60 Rangers are amazing for off road and still OK for street. (Compared to Shinko 705) Took it to an ATV park and was doing some pretty crazy stuff on it.

Dirt is fun. A dual sport would be naturally better, or a Tenere 700 is better equipped for it out the door...

The smaller ADVs do OK with suspension changes IMO. The stock spring rate on that bike is like .5kg/mm. The front is very soft.

Other than that, yeah, keep it on hard, flat dirt, or street, unless you want to put 80/20 trail/street tires on.

A proper bike will still work better off road, but I am very happy with the changes.

The racetech stuff is amazing. It is like soft on hard bumps, stiffer on braking or gradual slow loads due to valving. They called for like 15wt oil up from 5. No longer blowing through my suspension abusing the bike, it feels better on the street and better handling when aggressively braking.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 30, 2023

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I was scrolling around to see what bike you had. CB500X? The smaller adventure bikes are hard to use on anything but hard pack dirt or gravel. Shinko 705s are unusable in grass, mud, loose stuff.

I have a Versys X 300. I mostly was using it for commuting. Tracked it a few times, took it off road once.

After the third time at the track I was running out of front suspension on a specific turn
I bottomed it out in dirt and it felt horrible. The handling didn't...inspire confidence. Quickly stopped doing that.

I didn't want to buy a different bike yet, and I feel these bikes are advertised like they can do anything which is really annoying in hindsight.

I upgraded the front suspension with Racetech, and Heidenau K60 Rangers are amazing for off road and still OK for street. (Compared to Shinko 705) Took it to an ATV park and was doing some pretty crazy stuff on it.

Dirt is fun. A dual sport would be naturally better, or a Tenere 700 is better equipped for it out the door...

The smaller ADVs do OK with suspension changes IMO. The stock spring rate on that bike is like .5kg/mm. The front is very soft.

Other than that, yeah, keep it on hard, flat dirt, or street, unless you want to put 80/20 trail/street tires on.

A proper bike will still work better off road, but I am very happy with the changes.

The racetech stuff is amazing. It is like soft on hard bumps, stiffer on braking or gradual slow loads due to valving. They called for like 15wt oil up from 5. No longer blowing through my suspension abusing the bike, it feels better on the street and better handling when aggressively braking.

Yeah, I have a 2020 Honda CB500X.
It's not that I've reached the limits of the bike, just that I realized that I love this bike way too much to risk putting more serious damage to it by doing activities that will almost definitely lead to drops or more. My bike came with different tires, but I actually have ContiTrailAttack 3's on there ATM. They are probably more like 90:10 pneus, but so far I'm pretty happy with them. I just realized that I don't want to be practicing with it, because practice always involves failing to some extent. I'm condemning this bike to be a street bike for the foreseeable future.

My plan would be to just get a cheap beater bike that I don't care about dropping every once in a while, put some more offroad oriented wheels on there and just play with that. Hell I'd be down for the little Honda classic thing, but none of that stuff is available here. Can only get literbikes for cheap here.

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 30, 2023

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

SEKCobra posted:

Realized that my wanting to train getting a fallen bike back up was totally warranted, because trying to apply tips from youtube videos I watched in the past didn't work out all that well.
I've found this too, I've watched videos over the years about turning the front tire so you can get it in a good lifting position so a 100lb person can rotate the bike upwards etc., and I thought I had it in there. But then immediately post-crash and full of adrenaline that technique has slid right out of my rear end every time, may as well be astrophysics. Always good to step back and breathe for a minute if there's no apparent leaking or fire hazard and try to work out how to use the front tire to support the lift, but I suspect there's always the potential to need to lift a bike the hard way.

There's this youtube video that's mostly boring with Ari Henning taking a VanVan 200 to the trail alongside a 1200 Multistrada. The VanVan's no serious trail bike either, but watching the much larger multistrada on a descent really highlighted how nice it is to have something light under you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX-qnwVtoMI&t=814s

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Yea. The bikes are not as good at falling as a dirt bike. I got crash bars and have dropped it once at the ATV park. They seem to work well, but if the bike tumbles down a hill it's not gonna be happy.

I am looking at secondary bikes and they are more expensive than just replacing parts on the versys if I do break something.

I want a CRF250F or something.

I might add more protection...but like...my plastic panels run $150 on Partzilla. It's kinda cheap.

Squats and deadlifts at the gym help. Or just gym in general. I don't think you need to practice picking up a bike. Doing it holding the bike backwards is supposedly easiest, there's lots of videos of small people picking up goldwings.

I got the bike to try adv riding as well at the end of the day. If breaking it now and then is part of it....eh. I'm getting good at working on stuff lol.

If you have crash bars, laying it down in the grass if it's moist probably won't hurt anything.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 30, 2023

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I tried the "press your butt into it" thing, but the wheels were basically above the rut, with the body of the bike sitting on the middle raised section. This meant I couldn't get the wheels to grab onto anything to push (would potentially have been able to push it so that the wheels would be above the axis I'd want to rotate the bike around, an even worse situation), and I didn't exactly want to drag the bike across the ground more than absolutely necessary. Didn't want to scratch the paint or break off the shifter.
I think it's probably a good tip for on-road or flat ground, where you can first tilt the wheels down with the easy "roll" of the bike and then leverage it up, but didn't work at all for me in this situation. Just resorted to working on my knees and using as much leverage as possible, all while trying to not kill my back entirely (I have a broken back, so I can't just deadlift 160 kg or whatever the inital weight would be).

Honestly, goes to show that (real) offroading should be done with at least two riders imo. Standing a bike together is fairly easy and if something goes really wrong you can help each other. Hell, there were a lot of mountain bikers out, so if I really would've ended unable to sufficiently do it myself, I'm sure someone would have helped me lift it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Real off-road is done with a bike that weighs like 100kg and is covered with convenient handholds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Yeah that too. I'd love a used CRF300L.