Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Reusable exit bags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's insane to me that Americans apparently can't figure out that you can use the same plastic bag more than once.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Paladinus posted:

It's insane to me that Americans apparently can't figure out that you can use the same plastic bag more than once.

I pretty much use those lovely plastic shopping bags as trash bags, because I'm a bad person

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I love how all the slightly thicker plastic bags all have “REUSABLE” printed all over them in giant fonts

It also rules that they're so cheaply made the ink runs off them if you put something cold that gets condensation, or the handles stretch if they carry cans of soup or a jug of milk. They're literally less reusable than the plastic bags before CA's plastic waste reduction regs required all plastic containers to get thinner and less durable & manufactures found ways to reduce their overhead by making worse packaging.

Of course for some reason anything they're afraid you'll shoplift has only gotten thicker plastic containers and blister packs over time.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Paladinus posted:

Nobody anywhere gave a poo poo about that until governments started implementing bag levies. The insane part is that the US still gives them away for free - that's leaving customer money on the table!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nobody anywhere gave a poo poo about that until governments started implementing bag levies. The insane part is that the US still gives them away for free - that's leaving customer money on the table!

What’s funny is that where I live plastic bags are ostensibly banned but there’s a 10 cent fee on paper. Anyway Safeway and Fred meyer consistently run out of paper and just truck in the old single use plastic bags from elsewhere and there’s no fee on those ones because they’re technically banned but there’s no enforcement

It’s very funny

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

HashtagGirlboss posted:

What’s funny is that where I live plastic bags are ostensibly banned but there’s a 10 cent fee on paper. Anyway Safeway and Fred meyer consistently run out of paper and just truck in the old single use plastic bags from elsewhere and there’s no fee on those ones because they’re technically banned but there’s no enforcement

It’s very funny

I'm lmao'ing already!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Failed Imagineer posted:

No free plastic bags in Colorado. They'e 10¢/each now, and next year will be banned altogether in the state.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In Denmark, bags for takeaway food were recently mandated to have a cost. One (American themed) chain, Bones, decided that the solution to this was not to charge 1 dollar for a bag, but rather to construct a cardboard box monstrosity, which is obviously technically not a bag, so it's free! Just the worst solution all round!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

In Denmark, bags for takeaway food were recently mandated to have a cost. One (American themed) chain, Bones, decided that the solution to this was not to charge 1 dollar for a bag, but rather to construct a cardboard box monstrosity, which is obviously technically not a bag, so it's free! Just the worst solution all round!

Now I want to visit every "America-themed" restaurant wherever I go if I ever travel abroad again.

(Yes I know it's literally a Simpsons bit)

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Shame Boy posted:

Now I want to visit every "America-themed" restaurant wherever I go if I ever travel abroad again.

its a bit worth doing, ive been to a few and they are funny

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I went to one in Shanghai that was under the impression bolognese sauce is made with bologna

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

BonHair posted:

At Aldi I just take an empty cardboard box they have lying around and use that as a bag for my items, then I recycle it at home.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

its a bit worth doing, ive been to a few and they are funny
I once drug my parents along with me to Europe. Went to a lot of those places because foreign foods are unfamiliar and scary.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
in China, I went to a „European“ restaurant. I had some razor-thin steak drenched in oil still sizzling on a cast Iron plate or something. was pretty tasty :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Neco posted:

in China, I went to a „European“ restaurant. I had some razor-thin steak drenched in oil still sizzling on a cast Iron plate or something. was pretty tasty :)

everyone remembers their first peking braciole

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

A couple of the discount grocery stores in my town save the cardboard boxes the cases of merchandise come in for the customers to put their groceries in. It's a pretty good system and I save some of the boxes to ship packages in so they get good use before they get recycled.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yeah Costco figured out a long time ago that you can offload your trash to the consumer by "giving" it to them to carry their purchases.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Edmund Sparkler posted:

A couple of the discount grocery stores in my town save the cardboard boxes the cases of merchandise come in for the customers to put their groceries in. It's a pretty good system and I save some of the boxes to ship packages in so they get good use before they get recycled.

The co-op grocery I shopped at in my 20's did that, and so do the bevmos and total wines.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

The co-op grocery I shopped at in my 20's did that, and so do the bevmos and total wines.

Yeah I’ve seen this system at pretty much every co-op and liquor store I’ve ever been in

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Shame Boy posted:

They're just like Rainforest Cafe except instead of playing thunder sounds every 15 minutes they play gunfire

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Edmund Sparkler posted:

It’s such an obvious solution and way easier than carrying a bunch of bags that rip.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

cat botherer posted:

It’s such an obvious solution and way easier than carrying a bunch of bags that rip.

But how will you know where your groceries came from without the branding on the bag?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

going to one in Tokyo was a really surreal and entertaining experience

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Just picturing going to an "american themed" restaurant in Japan where every employee has to dress up and act like Rawhide Kobayashi.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Shima Honnou posted:

They're just like Rainforest Cafe except instead of playing thunder sounds every 15 minutes they play gunfire

The soothing sounds of Memphis.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
one time I was at Costco and they asked me if I wanted boxes and I said "no I brought bags"

and the lady rolled her eyes and said to her counterpart "HE BROUGHT BAGS"

like gently caress you bitch yeah I brought fuckin bags

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
loving WORKERS, am i right?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

one time I was at Costco and they asked me if I wanted boxes and I said "no I brought bags"

like gently caress you bitch yeah I brought fuckin bags

you sure owned that woman, good job

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

you sure owned that woman, good job

I mean I just said "here's my bags" in reality but boy howdy

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I don't think it's anything to laugh at, it happened to me once too. I showed the cashier my bags and he shouted "HEY JIMMY, GET A LOAD OF BILBO BAGGINS HERE"

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

one time I was at Costco and they asked me if I wanted boxes and I said "no Im just gonna eat it here”

and the lady rolled her eyes and Asked “even the dozen socks and the cat palace?”

And I was like “loving slut bitch yes even the dozen socks and the cat palace. Especially the cat palace”

Anyway I’m not allowed back for a few years

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
BYOB day at Costco

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I don't think most of you have been to a Costco, if I'm being honest.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m always nice to the Costco workers and they’re always nice to me in return! :)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

This is like the first 5 minutes of a Seinfeld episode, one where George will obsess over that reaction for the rest of the episode.

You're George is what I'm saying.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

oh I've been steaming my clams over this for like six years

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"He brought bags! She just said it, just like that Jerry!"

"Just like that eh"

"Am I not supposed to bring bags? Do they expect me to carry my stuff out by hand? Like cavemen did?"

"Cavemen?"

"Cavemen, Jerry!"

"Cavemen shopped at Costco?"

*pause for laugh track*

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

This is like the first 5 minutes of a Seinfeld episode, one where George will obsess over that reaction for the rest of the episode.

You're George is what I'm saying.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
None of us wanted to be George. Don't let this world turn you into George.

Why not be Kramer? Smooth and you don't even smell. Loose as a goose and ready to roll.