Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
I didn't read the HP books past Goblet of Fire and one reason for that was how Hermione deciding to try and do something about the bonded slavery in wizard society was met with derision and mockery, even by her best friends (the good characters!) and the text as a whole cast her as a naive, pious busybody just stirring things up for no reason.

I always kinda assumed that the later books had an arc where Harry, Ron & co. realised that she was absolutely right. But going by the films they just sort of fall in without any real revelations, growth or even a "Sorry for laughing at you when you said slavery was bad, Hermione..." moment.

I wasn't doing deep (or any) political reading of the books as a 13-year old, but I think I was picking up on some level that JKR's world and its characters were 'off' in some way. Especially from Book #4 when she clearly decided she didn't need an editor, they ballooned in length and they stopped being whimsical "Jennings but magic" and started getting weird

E: Cat Loaf tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

(Warning: Serious nerd chat incoming. I cannot overstate, however nerdy you think you can handle, the following post may still just overwhelm you.)

Reading this topic about JK and foriegn names, I'm reminded of an issue of Black Panther from the mid 2000's

Basically it was the culmation of a year long story arc where Black Panther (superhero and king of fictional super African nation) gets engaged to Storm. (Popular mutant and sometimes leader of the X-Men.)

This particular issue of Black Panther (issue 18) was written by Regianld Hudlin and drawn by Scot Eaton.
In one big scene, Storm flies to the ceremony in her wedding dress and all her X-Men teamates are in awe.
For this scene Eaton consulted with real world costume designer Shawn Dudley about wedding dresses. Shawn goes and does meticulous research and combines real world wedding dresses with various African Royalty clothing and creates. The end result was this beautiful non superhero costume which would feature in less than half an issue tooks weeks of work. But it looks amazing.

The writer (Hudlin) was an American Producer and writer mostly known for making shows on BET (Black Entertainment Television) that you most certainly haven't heard of. He was already controversial among comic fans for ignoring established comic history in writing some....controversial stories.
In the scene, he has Nightcrawler say something in German and has Wolverine go "you said it buddy."
The intention is obviously supposed to be that Storm on her wedding day looks so beautiful that no one knows what to say.
The only thing is, the word that Nightcawler says is complete gibberish. It's not German, it's nothing. The closest comparison if it was said outloud in German is a slang word that basically meant "I want to take it for a test drive" but even then it's not spelled like that and it's a very limited type of slang.

In short, the artist of this comic spent weeks drawing a dress and the writer couldn't take two minutes to Google a real German word.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

In short, the artist of this comic spent weeks drawing a dress and the writer couldn't take two minutes to Google a real German word.

And here it's shown in such simple terms the difference between an artist, and someone who works in art.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The sixth book has Dumbledore stating that the centaurs might align with Voldemort because the wizards had forced them to live in the woods outside of towns and cities and refused them access to magic on the basis that they're beasts (despite obviously being people). This is never brought up again or addressed.

If Rowling isn't explicitly in favour of slavery and caste systems then she certainly doesn't see them as anything more than an unfortunate side effect of letting some people live in immense privilege that doesn't need to be dealt with.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

keep punching joe posted:

An exclusive private boarding school in the Highlands where most of the pupils and staff are English is pretty accurate imo.

It's called Gordonstoun and Charley boy went there apparently dubbing it "Colditz in Kilts" and had to mix with - OMG - The Working Class (though I doubt many working class parents could ever have afforded to send their kids there!)

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Othering people is fun because then you get to give them funny names and deprive them of housing and voting rights.

quote:

"People as things, that’s where it starts.”

“Oh, I’m sure there are worse crimes . . .”

“But they starts with thinking about people as things . . . ”

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's called Gordonstoun and Charley boy went there apparently dubbing it "Colditz in Kilts" and had to mix with - OMG - The Working Class (though I doubt many working class parents could ever have afforded to send their kids there!)

The thing I remember the most when my dad joked about sending me to Gordonstoun (no way was it ever feasible to afford it) was the promise of a cold shower every morning. loving vile.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

And then you get into the expanded universe of Fantastic Beasts, in which the villain is trying to stop the Holocaust, and it is Very Important that the protagonists stop him and then allow it to happen. No, it's not to avoid a time paradox or anything. And the villain is the Nazi-coded one. I'm sure somehow this is all Jeremy Corbyn's fault.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Lady butt pads:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

And now after looking up those to see if they were real, my entire set of ads are for "scrunch bum leggings"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Also his documented history of hitting on underage fans.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

forkboy84 posted:

The thing I remember the most when my dad joked about sending me to Gordonstoun (no way was it ever feasible to afford it) was the promise of a cold shower every morning. loving vile.

One of my uni friends went there, and came across as both super loving posh and deeply loving weird to me, an autistic public schoolboy. To give you an idea of the sort of people it produces.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Daddy went to a posh Scottish boarding school of a similar ilk, having been sent from where he lived in Hong Kong. He's a normal guy, working a minimum wage job which he loves, and the only oddity I can pinpoint is that when he's speaking to someone he thinks is working class he puts on a broad Leeds accent.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Obliged to let everyone know there are 251 pages of Potterchat over in SFWF where we regularly go over the many foreign names of JK Rowling.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The hairs on your arm will stand up
At the terror in each sip and in each sup
Will you partake of that last offered cup?
Or disappear into the Potter's ground?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

If you ever had doubts as to what a lovely melt Michael Walker was, tonight's Novara episode and his sterling defense of the police as an institution was quite something.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Private Speech posted:

Apparently he's accused of serious and persistent domestic violence and false imprisonment, so the **** can rot for all I care, I don't want to hear from him again.
Theres also some chatlogs going around on twitter that are really, really not good (talking to a 15 year girl old about 'jailbait' not good) but idk if they're real or not. But yeah the stuff he's actually on trial for and the stuff coming out about his game developer company are more than enough to put him in the bin forever.

It is extremely funny that Rick and Morty canned the guy despite him voicing both Rick and Morty and being co-creator and co-writer. They might as well just make a different show at this point. It cannot be overstated how much of rick and morty was justin roiland playing all three characters on screen using the two voices he could do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mebh posted:

If you ever had doubts as to what a lovely melt Michael Walker was, tonight's Novara episode and his sterling defense of the police as an institution was quite something.

It is baffling why people do things like that when they could just not.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Rowling decided to be really inclusive by adding a gay character, so she made sure he only ever hosed once and it was off-screen with Wizard Hitler and it was his greatest sin and regret and he was then celibate for the rest of his life. A true LGB ally who definitely only hates trans people with the purest of motives.

Wizards throughout history regularly shat themselves, because with an instant cleanup spell why wouldn’t they? Doesn’t everyone secretly want to poo poo themselves?

When it becomes necessary for Harry to deal with a long and acrimonious history between wizards and goblins by teaming up with a goblin to steal a vital macguffin, which wizards stole from goblins and which he needs short-term use of, he immediately plans to betray the goblin and steal the macguffin forever. But that’s fine morally, because the goblin betrays him first. Which is treachery of the first order, because Harry is a designated good guy. On an unrelated note, isn’t history such a pointless and boring subject, only worth playing for laughs with a barely-sentient ghost professor?

The older you get, the more you realise Rowling was always pure loving poison. :(

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

pumpinglemma posted:

Wizards throughout history regularly shat themselves, because with an instant cleanup spell why wouldn’t they? Doesn’t everyone secretly want to poo poo themselves?

please save this response for the next wizardmaster post.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

It is baffling why people do things like that when they could just not.

pumpinglemma posted:

Doesn’t everyone secretly want to poo poo themselves?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Watching the news is a lot like making GBS threads yourself really.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

By quirk of fate (someone drove into my car) I drove my first new and modern car today.

Are they all so... floaty? Feels like I'm driving a cloud, from another room. Very disconcerting, cannot feel the violent struggle for dominance between the road, the engine, the brakes, and the steering. I hope it's just an unreasonably new car thing and not a thing every car in the future will have.

Also it has a self driving mode which is absolutely loving terrifying and tried to kill me.

I don't know if it's a "modern car" thing or just a "some models of car are like that" thing.

IDK enough about cars but IME some models of car I've driven have been very floaty and others more tactile. I think at some point I had some small vauxhall or something as a hire car and it was super floaty but other hire cars I've had that've been relatively new (I'm pretty sure I had a Volvo V40 or similar a couple of years ago) they really weren't.

Oh also my wife had a brand new VW Polo company car for like 6 months before we left for Canada in 2019 (so it would've been a 2018 model) and that was very responsive, not at all floaty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

Oh also my wife had a brand new VW Polo company car for like 6 months before we left for Canada in 2019 (so it would've been a 2018 model) and that was very responsive, not at all floaty.

That is actually what the one I am driving is so either the newer models are worse or I just drive an extremely crunchy car normally lol.

I can drive it OK but it's very disconcerting feeling so insulated from everything happening outside and also the mechanical feeling of the car itself, feels like a videogame.

Also not a fan of the weird set-back position for the driver, the windows are all smalller and/or further away, feels like you're driving through a letterbox. Which I assume is for safety but I dunno, I feel like I'm driving a tank which combined with the remoteness of the controls just fosters a very unpleasant sense of detachment from everything around you, which is not something I want when driving a car.

I am sure it must do bad things to your brain after a while.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 25, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mebh posted:

this vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVdnMODDU3o

I admit I just skipped to what seemed like the relevant chapter but it seems like he was more calling out what the police should ostensibly do vs. what they actually do? apologies if I've gotten it wrong but every time I skipped to a section where he wasn't back and forth with Dahlia it seemed like he was saying the cops are full of poo poo? if you have a timestamp I'd appreciate

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Part of the problem with this is the splitter effect - there's one petition to have all LGBT+ content removed and it did the rounds first, but the counter petitions are disorganised and overlapping - one i've seen is pulling LGB alliance poo poo and asking for LGB to be kept but not T etc, others are duplicates that mean the overall response will seem lower.

It's loving horrible to see, and the comments are full of 'well meaning' 60 year olds asking why kids need to know about "this stuff."

I saw this counter petition but it sort of seems like it's only about primary schools?

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/631529

Oh cool, Clause 28 2: gently caress you and you and especially you.
Wish these fuckers would just accept that they are too late. The rainbow is out of the box and it's not going back in.
Might get AARGH Vol. 2 and a new edition of Love's Mirror out of Alan Moore I guess.

Call centre work
I got :siren:Dismissed for Gross Misconduct:siren: from my call centre job.
At least that's what senior management called it. My fellow workers said I was sacked for telling the Truth (and they were right dear reader).

The crowning glory was the Job Centre interview after it though.
I was more than a little freaked out that they would classify me "Intentionally unemployed" = No money for you.
Not ideal with a wife with stupidly expensive tastes and two very young kids to feed, clothe and house. making GBS threads. Bricks.

Sure enough, I go in for my appointment and it's with one of the tough-guy men at the back of the building. Sit down and he's obviously all geared up to give me a bollocking, but hasn't actually read my paperwork. He's scanning down the file, slows down, double checks something then looks up at me.
"Uh, you worked at *poo poo place* for four years?"
"Yes, is that not what it says?"
Drops papers on desk and leans in.
"All I can say is I admire your perseverance. Confidentially, we stopped putting people forward to work there a while ago, average burn out is after only 3 months."
*raising voice so the other interviewers trying to earwig my destruction can hear*.
" I see no problems here, I'll put your claim through immediately. You can go home now."
loving glorious.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Become a photoshopped Norwegian police person:

A single tear slowly trickles down the face of Tom of Finland.

Current mood :smug:
Someone's blagged the guest list for The Residents in Newcastle. And getting put up for the night in the Travel Lodge. This year is starting great.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
oh, like pickle rick! i get it now (annoyed d'oh)

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Mebh posted:

A lot of the Novara videos I see in my recommendations have a clickbait title, he dimly mangles an intro and then someone who seems under duress or like they'd rather be elsewhere slowly explains it to him.

I'm all for it, we must destroy the cult of smart.

However backing the blue is an... Interesting choice, I'm sure he defended them eloquently.

Do you have a link?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

novarra is how i get my “mainstream“ news now, don’t agree with them 100% but if there’s a better u.k. based current events news program i’d like to know it

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Lechsinka isn't a name.

Lech that sink in.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Biggus Dickus posted:

Lech that sink in.

:golfclap:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

If you need a morning lol there’s some tremendous replies to this bollocks

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1617823713608536064?s=46&t=VWMTD9mSxCb8vDmSebYwpA

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Money-Coutts seems a little on the nose to be a real name

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

She needs to be upfront about being a shopkeeper's mannequin brought to life, we can all see the seams on the arms.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kecske posted:

Money-Coutts seems a little on the nose to be a real name

She is literally a member of the coutts banking dynasty, the one the monarchy uses.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

smellmycheese posted:

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1617823713608536064?s=46&t=VWMTD9mSxCb8vDmSebYwpA

Slutshaming is bad, but you have to laugh at the person who pointed out that the Times put Sophia's love life behind a paywall.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I were trying to sell my relationship advice I would not do it by saying I go through lots of partners.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

"Absolutely loving nothing" apparently.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Next week's feature is about how Freddie Horse-Bentley can never find a parking space for his long wheelbase Range Rover, despite engaging parking assist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

this vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVdnMODDU3o

I admit I just skipped to what seemed like the relevant chapter but it seems like he was more calling out what the police should ostensibly do vs. what they actually do? apologies if I've gotten it wrong but every time I skipped to a section where he wasn't back and forth with Dahlia it seemed like he was saying the cops are full of poo poo? if you have a timestamp I'd appreciate

Sorry this took a while as I had to get the relevant segments and write it out. I was too busy stomping angrily around Aldi last night listening to it.

So Dalia says the police have always been bad and need to be held to account for the harms they do and how collective action helped shine a light on it. She then goes on to say that the idea that policing as a broad institution works and how the incidents recently being taken as an example of “mistakes” or policing “not working as it should have” is … the analysis the police give us, and not what we should think. Policing doesn’t have the tools to do what we are told they are meant to do, policing as a concept and an institution doesn’t prevent harm and doesn’t really do much to help people heal from harm once it’s taken place.

Dalia’s segment: https://youtu.be/YVdnMODDU3o?t=1223

Michael goes on to say
“We disagree on this, you can say there’s a contradiction so therefore lets get rid of the police, I’d say it’s probably an internal tension, you know we as a society need someone to enforce the rules but the people who enforce the rules have a tendency to become a little bit unaccountable because of the power we give them. I mean, power corrupts but you still need some people to have some power. I… I see it as a tension we need to constantly be aware of as opposed to a reason to get rid of the whole thing.”
Michael’s segment: https://youtu.be/YVdnMODDU3o?t=1618

Then at the final segment talking about the death of the BBC he then returns to the cop thing comparing the BBC having an ‘internal tension’ but the response isn’t to get rid of the whole thing.

https://youtu.be/YVdnMODDU3o?t=3393
Dalia then rightly points out you can set up alternative structures and opt out of the BBC, but you can’t opt out of being policed. Also the BBC isn’t putting people in cages and stopping and searching black people, arresting and incarcerating those with mental illness or sexually assaulting people, the urge to get rid of the police is a bit more clear…
The response, “ah but if you want a TV you can’t really opt out of the BBC, and the police have to stop crime” yes Michael. Same loving thing. Do gently caress off now.