Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Video Nasty posted:

If you can sprint past him, there's a site of grace indoors right behind where he spawns :ssh:

Oh that one was as pain in the rear end, but I'm talking about the one up high. From that site of grace you go outside, turn right and go up the ladder. Go around bend and that fucker is waiting down below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=348LA2BCyfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Suburban Dad posted:

Oh that one was as pain in the rear end, but I'm talking about the one up high. From that site of grace you go outside, turn right and go up the ladder. Go around bend and that fucker is waiting down below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=348LA2BCyfc

Someone posted a video of them sniping him with the cannon from the ridge above the castle. He teleported all the way to them and began kicking their rear end. He's a god drat beast.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

War Wizard posted:

Someone posted a video of them sniping him with the cannon from the ridge above the castle. He teleported all the way to them and began kicking their rear end. He's a god drat beast.

BrOleg dont gently caress around

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

War Wizard posted:

That guy's a monster tasked with protecting that rampart and he does not let anything take it.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I beat that fucker moon carian knight before Renalla by making him aggro under the rolling boulder repeatedly

gently caress that dude forever

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mikojan posted:

I beat that fucker moon carian knight before Renalla by making him aggro under the rolling boulder repeatedly

Alternatively, hop on the elevator and lol.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mikojan posted:

Good ol' Parry Potter, harder for some builds than the boss he guards

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

That guy's a monster tasked with protecting that rampart and he does not let anything take it.

Big shield + guard counter trivializes him if you have the stats to equip.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Smiling Knight posted:

Big shield + guard counter trivializes him if you have the stats to equip.

I've mostly been playing like an idiot repeatedly bashing my head against a wall and never changing my dual katanas for the entire playthrough.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The problem with fiddly little weapons like Katanas is that the boss gets to dictate the pace and spacing of the fight. Much better to take control with big heavy hammer blows and meaty devastating guard counters (which will rock somebody's poo poo even with smaller weapons, which is a nice concession From gave us). Realizing that 61+ poise and a greatshield let you play a lot of this game like DS1 was a revelation.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

The problem with fiddly little weapons like Katanas is that the boss gets to dictate the pace and spacing of the fight. Much better to take control with big heavy hammer blows and meaty devastating guard counters (which will rock somebody's poo poo even with smaller weapons, which is a nice concession From gave us). Realizing that 61+ poise and a greatshield let you play a lot of this game like DS1 was a revelation.

Not entirely true if you know how to use the stance ash.

At least on the straight swords for sure. I like to think I surprised some unga bunga types with my lordsworn straight sword by repeatedly chain stunning bosses.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

War Wizard posted:

Not entirely true if you know how to use the stance ash.

At least on the straight swords for sure. I like to think I surprised some unga bunga types with my lordsworn straight sword by repeatedly chain stunning bosses.

Yeah ashes are a whole different ballpark, but they're essentially just magic and I'm trying to keep things to the fundamentals here, and those fundamentals are "all you need is vig/str/end"

Straight Swords have loads of really good weapons in the class AND probably the overall best workhorse ash in the game. Probably the best weapon class for a lot of builds but they just aren't very sexy. That Lordsworn sword carried my faith guy until I had the points for the winged scythe and honestly was probably better than it anyway.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I was smacking my face against Maliketh for at least two days. I charted off in search of getting Pest Threads and Swarm of Flies and found that Pest Threads were mostly worthless. I was going with summons or my maxed-out mimic tear and nothing was clicking. I found that I was too slow with the bleed greatsword and the doot cannon took entirely too long to deploy to be worthwhile. I swapped to the reduvia and the black knife and went to TOWN.
The difference in mobility was immediate and I could easily dodge or position and swap attacks with my clone and got him on the first try! :allears:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Thinking about getting this today

I've only played Bloodborne (hundreds of hours) and I pretty much live for that game everything is perfect. I know it's not fair to compare these games too much but as someone who has never played any dark souls how much of a deviation is it?

I know there is like some item in game that kinda acts like a rally mechanic and I'm pretty sure you don't move as fast as John Bloodborne. Also you don't get a cool shooty to parry and have to use a shield like a dork.

I played six hours of this several months ago at a friend's house and I found some gladiator looking boss who swung a buncha punches at me and I killed him by parry as whoever is the dude who starts with the curved so but I was v drunk and stoned so I was just more having fun running everywhere like an rear end

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I guess my main concern is the flask system I'm so used to carting around 20 blood vials not whatever the gently caress flasks are

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'm getting sick of the Greatsword, it's cool and all but now that I've got my endurance way up, I want to sword and board. Upgraded the claymore and I like it but I'd really like to be able to try out other stuff. I'm really light on upgrade materials. I found the cave that lets me buy the +1 to +3 upgrade mats at the roundtable, could anyone spoil for me where the +4 to +6 and +7 to +9 equivalents are?

e: i know i can sword-and-board the greatsword but my STR isn't that high and the greatsword is heavy as gently caress so I can't wear heavy armor with it yet

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

verbal enema posted:

I guess my main concern is the flask system I'm so used to carting around 20 blood vials not whatever the gently caress flasks are

Blood vials are terrible by comparison.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

verbal enema posted:

Thinking about getting this today

I've only played Bloodborne (hundreds of hours) and I pretty much live for that game everything is perfect. I know it's not fair to compare these games too much but as someone who has never played any dark souls how much of a deviation is it?

I know there is like some item in game that kinda acts like a rally mechanic and I'm pretty sure you don't move as fast as John Bloodborne. Also you don't get a cool shooty to parry and have to use a shield like a dork.

I played six hours of this several months ago at a friend's house and I found some gladiator looking boss who swung a buncha punches at me and I killed him by parry as whoever is the dude who starts with the curved so but I was v drunk and stoned so I was just more having fun running everywhere like an rear end

The rally rune kind of sucks (compared to other great runes which include some of the best buffs in the game) but you don’t need it. There’s a bunch of other ways to get hyper powerful. Shields are good but probably the most absurdly strong thing is to just slap the biggest weapon you can find in each hand and jump-attack everything. They can’t force you to block if they are staggered from being pounded by two kirkhammer sized monstrosities at once.

You move at pretty much the same speed in all these games unless you weigh yourself down with gear (which you can’t do in BB), but Lowly Tarnished (you) does not feel slow. Quickstep is in the game and there’s also hyper quickstep.

Just get it. Elden Ring rules

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
So last night I hit Radahn, who traditionally has been fairly tough for me; my last two playthroughs were dex/faith (throw Black Fire Fireball, repeat until dead) and dex/int (Moonveil katana is loving rad and also so eventually was Comet Azur although that was a post-Radahn addition), and Radahn is mobile enough that it was tough to hit him with my overpowered ranged nonsense and neither of those characters was tough enough to hang in melee.

I did not waltz in and one-shot him with my "only strength, colossal swords, guard counter when I feel like letting the enemy attack" build. Instead, I slowly, methodically improved at the fight over maybe four attempts? Possibly five. I threw on a shield with the sword and by the last attempt I got up to him, chopped off 70% of his health to trigger the next phase, dodged his dumb bullshit, hit him with three jump attacks, dodged out to recover stamina, walked up guarding and finished him off with another jump attack. No muss, no fuss.

Now, I have the advantage of already having done the fight on two other characters, but the colossal weapon play style is not one I'm used to; as my first two builds may imply I tend to go with fast, ranged, sneaky, dodgy characters, mostly because it lets me ignore mechanics and continue to be bad at games by alpha-striking things before they notice me. Elden Ring forced me to get good, and it feels great.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm getting sick of the Greatsword, it's cool and all but now that I've got my endurance way up, I want to sword and board. Upgraded the claymore and I like it but I'd really like to be able to try out other stuff. I'm really light on upgrade materials. I found the cave that lets me buy the +1 to +3 upgrade mats at the roundtable, could anyone spoil for me where the +4 to +6 and +7 to +9 equivalents are?

e: i know i can sword-and-board the greatsword but my STR isn't that high and the greatsword is heavy as gently caress so I can't wear heavy armor with it yet

For regular stones:
1st: Crystal Cave in Lurnia on map as cave
2nd: Lyndell moat on map as cave
3rd: Mountaintop of the giants, ruins near the beginning
4th: Defeat the boss duo in CFA

For somberstone:
1st: Sellia Crystal Tunnel marked as a cave
2nd: Altus Tunnel, marked as a cave on map near the broken bridge
3rd: Mountaintop of the Giants, pass the frozen lake near a church
4th & 5th: In CFA

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 25, 2023

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Four random qs for the Elden Ring sexperts:

-can Ashes of War make your weapon worse? I was tinkering with putting them on the claymore I found in Castle Morne and changing what they scaled with seemed to make the damage go down, unless I was reading it wrong?

-where do I find the ability to summon things if I apparently missed a moonlit encounter at the first church in the game?

-the smithing menu seems to only increase attack power, does that mean I can just ignore upgrading shields (barring some offensive shield gimmick build or whatever)

-why is the guy driving the spinning blade chariot thing in that underground tomb so mean

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

verbal enema posted:

you can collect seeds to increase the amount of flasks you carry. i already have 9 and i feel like i only need 5 to progress, maybe even less.
I think elden ring great. The world building is stellar even if story is bit vague. Your there to save the day when demigods gently caress up is the gist of the story, regardless of interpretation .
also there is lot of content in the game and lot of secrets as well. You can reveal some secrets by accidentally rolling on em. And there are couple places where even the floor holds a secret.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
well i didnt make it to the elden ring store today so perhaps tomorrow i will snag it

i just want to fight bosses!!! thats the whole point of these games!!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

War Wizard posted:

Blood vials are terrible by comparison.

i only see this cuz you can refill your flask thing by sitting down at the nice campfire whereas in BB i have to back to the dream then go back to where i was

but minus Forbidden Woods the areas in BB in so much smaller so they want you to battle and bloody your way through things hence 20 blood vials also EVERYTHING in this game so so hyper aggressive normally

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wolfsheim posted:

-can Ashes of War make your weapon worse? I was tinkering with putting them on the claymore I found in Castle Morne and changing what they scaled with seemed to make the damage go down, unless I was reading it wrong?

-where do I find the ability to summon things if I apparently missed a moonlit encounter at the first church in the game?

-the smithing menu seems to only increase attack power, does that mean I can just ignore upgrading shields (barring some offensive shield gimmick build or whatever)

-why is the guy driving the spinning blade chariot thing in that underground tomb so mean

Sometimes ashes change the scaling or add another another damage type.

If you've been back to rest at the church of elleh at night and renna doesn't show, try the two hags at roundtable hold, I think they have the bell.

Yes, you don't normally need to upgrade shields.

He's actually a sweetheart when you get to know him.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wolfsheim posted:

Ashes: you put a modifier on along with the ash. Like a heavy modifier makes it scale with only str but booste the str modifier. Sacred adds a faith modifier plus holy damage. Bloody adds arcane but more importantly bleed buildup. Generally, you'll want your main stat modifier or a particular attribute like holy damage or bleed. Don't worry too much about sheet damage.

Smithing: shields get guard boost too and that decreases the stamina drain of a given block. However, that's no where near as important as your weapon level.

Go back to that church at night, keep hitting the grace, etc. She'll show up. Try the shop in roundtable too.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Wolfsheim posted:

-Yes, if the scaling doesn't match your stat spread you'll most likely lose damage. However eventually you will have the ability to make scaling changes independent of the ash's builtin scaling option, so don't worry about it too much.

-If you've truly missed it you can buy the item from the twin finger readers in the roundtable hold

-Upgrading shields reduces the amount of stamina drained when you block, but it's a very small benefit so don't worry about it unless you're minmaxing a specific build

-because gently caress you

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

- You can change what stat or element they scale with. If you're big into STR and make it Keen, it'll get worse. The ash itself is neutral, though some will hit harder depending on its stats or element. There's no rule as to which ash requires this. For elements, Fire is STR, Flame Art is Faith, Lightning is Dex, Cold/Magic is INT, and the status ones are their own thing but get boosted by Arcane provided the weapon has arcane scaling

- I believe the twin husks at roundtable will sell it if you missed that

- upgrading shields boosts their guard boost, which reduces how much stam you lose when you block. It's not necessary unless you're doing a greatshield build, in which case it's non-negotiable

- Hey now, YOU'RE the one there to pillage a tomb!

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

War Wizard posted:

For regular stones:
1st: Crystal Cave in Lurnia on map as cave
2nd: Lyndell moat on map as cave
3rd: Mountaintop of the giants, ruins near the beginning
4th: Defeat the boss duo in CFA

For somberstone:
1st: Sellia Crystal Tunnel marked as a cave
2nd: Altus Tunnel, marked as a cave on map near the broken bridge
3rd: Mountaintop of the Giants, pass the frozen lake near a church
4th & 5th: In CFA

Thanks! Was hoping they'd be earlier but I guess it makes sense for game balance.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
There's also the classic From scaling problem where changing the damage spread to be split between physical and an elemental damage might cause the total damage to be higher, but each amount is resisted separately. That means you often end up doing less, sometimes significantly less damage than you did previously.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Fun little thing I’ve noticed playing Elden Ring: Item Hunter, is that the devs left little trails of flora to follow to treasures. More than once has a trail of mushrooms or sunflowers lead me to the next valuable.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I just entered the snow zone with the brick hammer and I am struggling with some of the bosses there. Any equipment suggestions, that might make things easier?

I am using skeletal mask and raptor's black feathers, leather gloves and leather boots. Also mottled necklace, dragoncrest shield, claw, and green turtle talismans. Ash of War is determination.

err fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 26, 2023

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Tarnished here getting burned out and losing sight of the guidance of grace, so looking to get some advice from fellows:

In general, I'd say I like Elden Ring and think there's a lot of cool stuff to it. But recently I've been thinking about my playtime and my feelings after play sessions. When I played FromSoft games like Dark Souls 1-3, Bloodborne and Sekiro, my final playtime would clock in around 40-60 hours, and it was always a blast with tons of memorable moments that would energize me and make me want to play more. I'd look back and be like "wow, my playtime was that short? it felt way longer since so much happened!"

In contrast, I'm currently at 70 hours in Elden Ring and feel like I'm nowhere near the end (only just recently reached Atlus Plateau but going back to finish Caelid) and every play session I feel sapped of energy, a dried out husk: I look back and go "man, I spent all that time and I feel like I've barely made progress, had nothing notable happen, and am still missing so much." I've thought a lot about quitting: the bad feeling from playing I get is very similar to the feeling I got from playing Destiny 2 or Lost Ark or other grindy games that I've quit: it feels like the game is more addictive than it is fun (a weird distinction since I know the two can rub shoulders together).

Part of me, however, does admit that maybe it's my own broke brain causing this self-destruction. I ask other people their playtimes and I get responses back like 40-60 hours which sounds more reasonable than my expected runtime of 100-200+ hours. With that in mind, maybe it's me that shouldn't be surprised I'm feeling exhausted going through hundreds of copy-paste dungeons fighting easy copy-paste bosses and getting weapons or upgrades I don't want or need: after all, don't I usually try to focus on main quests when it comes to these open-world games to keep the pace up, and I should just do the same here? Why do I feel compelled to do dumb stuff like figure out the Grand Lift when I've already gotten up to the Atlus Plateau through other means? Why do I keep myself from using summons and other mechanics when the game puts them in?

But then again, these same people with the minimal playtimes are the ones that tell me to "explore, explore, and explore more" despite it being impossible for them to have done such comprehensive exploring in such a short time, so I feel like I've been fed some bull. Moreover, I typically love exploring all of the nooks and crannies of FromSoft worlds since they're usually so rich: is it really my fault that they've stretched themselves so thin to be such an unbalanced and samey experience? Is it my fault that, despite being a game of proposed experimentation, that all the many weapons and spells they give out only make me annoyed on what I could or should be using, feel scared on whether some solutions are too cheesy, and paranoid to upgrade anything because of the limited resources to do so and sunk-cost stats?

Anyway, I could go on but I'm not trying to rant or hate on the game or anything like that: I do think it has plenty of merit and I am having a bit more fun lately now that more interesting events are finally happening, such as meeting the Witch, joining her service and uncovering this knifeprint plot and so on. But still, the fatigue is there and right now, I'd have to list Elden Ring as my least favorite FromSoft game (still a good game overall, though). So, I'm curious how to proceed. The way I see it, I have two options:

1) Continue to proceed with my current mindset of being very comprehensive in my exploration: I won't find everything but I would probably feel more stressed if I started to skip things since it goes against my typical approach to FromSoft games. Maybe I'll just slow it down, take a big break for awhile and play other games.

2) Play the game with a new mindset based on advice here. Maybe the idea is to explore, but only if you aren't doing well at somewhere the guidance of grace led you to: only then, otherwise sticking to main story. Maybe I should only go to places that really look fancy and interesting from the outside instead of checking out everywhere. Maybe there are certain places I shouldn't bother with: for example I'm not using summons so maybe skip all catacombs since that seems to be all that they give out. I dunno, open for advice.

Basically, curious on what other people's mindsets or mantras were for approaching the game in the best way, what their playtimes looked like in the end, and their feelings as they played the game and if they shifted around. Also very curious to go back and play Dark Souls 3: wonder if it was just always like this and I've become jaded, or if there really is something off in this design for bosses and such that's rubbing me the wrong way.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 26, 2023

err
Apr 11, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

- You can change what stat or element they scale with. If you're big into STR and make it Keen, it'll get worse. The ash itself is neutral, though some will hit harder depending on its stats or element. There's no rule as to which ash requires this. For elements, Fire is STR, Flame Art is Faith, Lightning is Dex, Cold/Magic is INT, and the status ones are their own thing but get boosted by Arcane provided the weapon has arcane scaling

I don't see Keen on there, Standard seems to retain the most damage unless I am missing something?

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

it sounds like maybe you're getting bogged down in a completionist mindset rather than just doing what you want. DS/BB/Sekiro are linear and searchign every nook and cranny is kind of necessary but it's really not in ER. you're right about the lift! you already got up there, you don't need to do it! what do you want to do next? do you have a weapon to upgrade? have you explored leyndell? you don't have to go back to caelid if you don't want to. i put 150 hrs into my first character and left large swaths of caelid untouched because i didn't like it there!!

if you run into something that's not fun just

hit
da
bricks

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I found methodically clearing Elden Ring to be satisfying, I kept a little .txt and when I beat a boss or dungeon I'd write it down. You will eventually clear it all out and reach the end, it's a satisfying game from start to finish and you should anticipate it being 90+ hours if you try to explore as much as possible.

But admittedly it took me a month to do and if I played too much I'd feel irritated or even sick of it, especially if I felt a boss or challenge wasn't well made(or well received for myself.) I'd suggest you keep going and don't try to assign any obligation to it. When you beat it, you beat it. And once you beat it...

You realize how much content you can skip. I could probably beat the game start to finish in sub 10 hours, and that's being generous in build experimentation and loving around awhile en route to the mandatory 8 or so bosses.

Also it can be HUGELY revitalizing to push on into a new zone because Elden Ring has so many god drat cool zones to experience for the first time.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 26, 2023

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

My rule in games with sidequests is to only do them when I feel like it. As soon as I start to feel burnt out by a zone, I go finish the story and move the gently caress on. You can always go back later if you beat the game and decide you want to play more.

E: you can pernamiss questlines I guess but they are not going to necessarily enhance your enjoyment of the game commensurate with the burden of exploration required to keep up with them. Again, save it for another playthrough. Who knows if you'll even care you missed it.

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 26, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you haven't been to Leyndell go directly there, it's incredible and has the same feel as the older games where there's lots to explore and reasons to do so but not TOO much.

err posted:

I don't see Keen on there, Standard seems to retain the most damage unless I am missing something?

What options you have will depend on what whetstones you have, but I think all the non-elemental ones are available from the start. What are your stats? Most weapons will get better scaling with one or another but it's not usually what you'd expect (curved great club is apparently a really good magic/cold enchant for any Haima Conspectus curious among us). I have a Heavy Misiricorde in slot 2 or 3 on my strength builds for example.

My first playthrough was 150ish hours and I was super thorough. Now though, I could probably get from start to finish in 4-5, funny old game. The strength of Souls games are the boss fights though, if you're getting bored just rush to the next one. The next plot area has some real great ones.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 26, 2023

err
Apr 11, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

What options you have will depend on what whetstones you have, but I think all the non-elemental ones are available from the start. What are your stats? Most weapons will get better scaling with one or another but it's not usually what you'd expect (curved great club is apparently a really good magic/cold enchant for any Haima Conspectus curious among us). I have a Heavy Misiricorde in slot 2 or 3 on my strength builds for example.

Oops I didn't haven the iron whetblade, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

err posted:

Oops I didn't haven the iron whetblade, thanks

Oh excellent, scaling won't actually be a big contributor until you're in the 40+ damage stat range, it's all weapon upgrades until then, but there's so many good and fun ashes it's basically just free damage. Avoid quality, it's garbo in this game outside of NG++++. I always encourage a lot of changing it up with ashes if you can. They're a huge pain in the rear end to upgrade compared to sombers so may as well enjoy the benefits! If you're going big chonky boy I recommend Waves of Darkness from Astel's remembrance, the AOE makes your life a lot easier (or just use the Starscourge swords)

Flaming Strike is available super early and I hear it's really good as well, especially if you're STR or FAI to get the most out of the fire scaling. Don't sweat split damage being less than perfect, big flaming swords are cool as gently caress and that's worth it alone.

edit - it's certainly a very stylish AoW and looking at it makes me think it'd be a fantastic fit for some perfumer fashion