Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

John Yossarian posted:

Is there an in-comic reason that Gambit has red eyes? I mean, did any of the writers explain why he would have red eyes? If not, I guess you could link it to kinetic energy or something silly like that. Red eyes are pretty rad, too. Sorry if this a silly question, I've been reading a lot of old X-men comics recently.

If my memory hasn't failed me: In his very first appearance, before they'd really settled on how Gambit's powers work because as usual Claremont was working on the fly (which to be fair he did better than anyone), Gambit is charging up a throwing spike (he didn't get the cards until his third issue, when Jim Lee drew him and presumably thought it made a better visual), and it's shown in slow motion over several panels; the energy actually emerges from his eyes and travels down his arm to charge the spike up. Also the energy was colored green, for some reason.

So presumably the original intent was that his eyes were somehow linked to his powers, but when that got dropped, he just... had red eyes for no good reason. It let fans speculate about whether he was the infamous third Summers brother for like a decade, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
His eyes are portals to the charge dimension

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I remember hearing/reading somewhere that his red eyes were originally going to be related to his mutant ability of "psychic charm" but that ability was dropped before it ever actually came up in the comics so he was just left with weirdo eyes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He has robot eyes like Psylocke and never mentioned it

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
i thought it was just a cajun thing like they can all do that if they want to

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

His eyes are portals to the charge dimension

Which is why one day his powers could DESTROY THE EARTH.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Take Nightcrawler's three dicks for example
This is out of date: he's had some secondary mutations since and now has six hundred and sixty-six.

Gologle posted:

i thought it was just a cajun thing like they can all do that if they want to
It's in the gumbo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
shocking i know but sins is off to a great start

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
apparently jubilee is omega level so that's a cool development

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Sins was great. Looking forward to more of it. Enjoyed Sabretooth and X-Terminators too.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I spooked my Cy-cat when it got to:

No more Wanda.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Caros posted:

I spooked my Cy-cat when it got to:

No more Wanda.

Just in case!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I probably should have expected this Sinister system had been in place since the start

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

site posted:

shocking i know but sins is off to a great start

it's impressive how they've been building up to everything that happens in this issue. the collaborative nature of the writing room really shines through when they pull off something like this

this issue was fantastic but i hate Gillen for writing 40 pages of kicking puppies

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
yeah yeah, sins of sinister was great.

please tell me this wasn't the last x-termintors

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
X-Terminators will return!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
New thread title

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm looking forward to Sinister being on the other side when everyone inevitably turns against him. Then he'll actually have to do something good to not only save himself, but everyone else.

Destiny is really playing him.

I need more X-Terminators as soon as possible. What a great dumb fun book.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Laura not being into a group chat and repeatedly leaving felt very in-character

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cloks posted:

it's impressive how they've been building up to everything that happens in this issue. the collaborative nature of the writing room really shines through when they pull off something like this

this issue was fantastic but i hate Gillen for writing 40 pages of kicking puppies

I very much doubt this was specifically part of the original pitch or even a thing conceived during Hickman's time (he and Gillen never overlapped). I think Hickman making Sinister's contribution critical to Krokoa was an open invitation to whomever had the best story for how that would blow up in their face. (Modern) Sinister's creator seems the obvious candidate to do that.

I think this will be a fun and satisfying What If? story.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

danbanana posted:

I very much doubt this was specifically part of the original pitch or even a thing conceived during Hickman's time (he and Gillen never overlapped). I think Hickman making Sinister's contribution critical to Krokoa was an open invitation to whomever had the best story for how that would blow up in their face. (Modern) Sinister's creator seems the obvious candidate to do that.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

danbanana posted:

i agree with most of what you've said here and i want to add that i was talking in the context of the post-Hickman work, I was impressed with the collaboration coming from Gillen, Spurrier and Ewing (the dream team?)

it's very cool that Hickman was involved and I think you're right about sinister being a great story hook

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cloks posted:

i agree with most of what you've said here and i want to add that i was talking in the context of the post-Hickman work, I was impressed with the collaboration coming from Gillen, Spurrier and Ewing (the dream team?)

it's very cool that Hickman was involved and I think you're right about sinister being a great story hook

Ewing, Spurrier, and Williams made a helluva team on Judge Dredd Trifecta, highly recommend.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17453831-judge-dredd

Sinister always rules.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm looking forward to Sinister being on the other side when everyone inevitably turns against him. Then he'll actually have to do something good to not only save himself, but everyone else.

Destiny is really playing him.

I need more X-Terminators as soon as possible. What a great dumb fun book.

I don't think Destiny stole his lab.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It doesn't matter who stole it. Destiny has been manipulating Sinister to get to this point. Remember how she's stopped him a couple times from resetting the timeline by just saying a few words that have prevented him from resetting the timeline.

So now Sinister is trapped, and is probably going to have his own creations come after him as well as the other three Sinisters. And to prevent it, Destiny had to sort of subtly guide Sinister to this point, where when the timeline does reset, he's on the same side as the X-Men.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I love the throughline of redemption in the whole Krakoa era.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
poo poo, I didn't Google what "Murderworld" was, bought Murderworld: Wolverine because it had Gabby on the cover.
Motherfuckers: do not put Gabby on the cover of a book she (and all the lesser Wolverines on the cover) does not actually appear in! These things aren't 10 cents anymore!

The takeaway of this is not to put her on less covers, by the way, it's to put her in more books.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Codependent Poster posted:

It doesn't matter who stole it. Destiny has been manipulating Sinister to get to this point. Remember how she's stopped him a couple times from resetting the timeline by just saying a few words that have prevented him from resetting the timeline.

So now Sinister is trapped, and is probably going to have his own creations come after him as well as the other three Sinisters. And to prevent it, Destiny had to sort of subtly guide Sinister to this point, where when the timeline does reset, he's on the same side as the X-Men.

Mister Sinister's It's a Wonderful Life: The Event

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If it's doing that, I love it. He's trapped in a hell of his own making, literally.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think Destiny stole his lab.

I would have pinned it on Destiny, but who's the other suspect - another Sinister?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

with the planet populated almost entirely by them the odds are good,

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Given that Orchis wasn't completely off the board yet, and includes both Moira and the Club Sinister, my money is on them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Emplate, committing an act of heroism?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
This is possibly nitpicking but probably important to discussing current X-Men books: only Diamond Sinisters are Sinisters. Or more accurately, Diamond Essexes are Sinisters.

We knew Nathaniel Essex was doing Mad Science stuff back in the Victorian era pre-Krakoa-comics, and that those experiments (and Apocalypse involvement) turned him into Mister Sinister.

What Immortal X-Men #8 laid out was that Essex had seen (I guess through science and Apocalypse whammies) the inevitability of the Phalanx/Technarch/AI takeover and was driven mad trying to come up with how to stop it. He saw four possible ways of stopping the AI:

1. Humanity continuing to master science
2. Going into space and finding other species who had found a way to defeat the Machines
3. Magic/mysticism, something machines could not understand
4. The "Essex-Men" (i.e. mutants)

Essex died but had set up four clones of himself, each believing that they were the one true Essex, and guided to pursue one of these four options for the next century.

Club/Science Essex went on to become Doctor Stasis.
Spade/Space Essex went on to become Orbis Stellaris.
Heart/Magic Essex presumably but not yet confirmed went on to become Mother Righteous

and Diamond/Mutant Essex became Mister Sinister. Then went on to become many Misters Sinister.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Whatever even happened to Miss Sinister or whatever that goth lady Sinister-clone was called, who showed up ten years ago or so?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I would have pinned it on Destiny, but who's the other suspect - another Sinister?

Destiny does not know where his lab is, her future vision is not really reliable enough to find it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's beast obviously

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

site posted:

it's beast obviously

They never showed Beast up close in Sins #1 and my head canon is that he doesn't have a diamond on his forehead. He's just Darkest Beast and along for the ride.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Saoshyant posted:

Whatever even happened to Miss Sinister or whatever that goth lady Sinister-clone was called, who showed up ten years ago or so?
She was part of Cullen Bunn's X-Men Blue storyline where a cabal of folks (including Miss Sinister, Havok, and Emma Frost) were using "Mothervine" technology from the Ultimate Universe (the government experiment that 'created' Ultimate mutants) to try to create even more mutants in the mainline universe, with the caveat that it would kill a ton of people and/or have people under Miss Sinister's control. At the end of that story Ultimate Wolverine's son killed Miss Sinister.

Then she showed up fine in the Dead Man Logan mini-series about Old Man Logan trying to get back to his home universe before he died. I think she may have been apparently killed in that too, but either way she hasn't been seen or mentioned since, so nothing in the Krakoa era.

She was explicitly an invasive clone/virus version of Mister Sinister created in the modern era though, not any sort of offshoot of the original Essex experiments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

This is possibly nitpicking but probably important to discussing current X-Men books: only Diamond Sinisters are Sinisters. Or more accurately, Diamond Essexes are Sinisters.

We knew Nathaniel Essex was doing Mad Science stuff back in the Victorian era pre-Krakoa-comics, and that those experiments (and Apocalypse involvement) turned him into Mister Sinister.

What Immortal X-Men #8 laid out was that Essex had seen (I guess through science and Apocalypse whammies) the inevitability of the Phalanx/Technarch/AI takeover and was driven mad trying to come up with how to stop it. He saw four possible ways of stopping the AI:

1. Humanity continuing to master science
2. Going into space and finding other species who had found a way to defeat the Machines
3. Magic/mysticism, something machines could not understand
4. The "Essex-Men" (i.e. mutants)

Essex died but had set up four clones of himself, each believing that they were the one true Essex, and guided to pursue one of these four options for the next century.

Club/Science Essex went on to become Doctor Stasis.
Spade/Space Essex went on to become Orbis Stellaris.
Heart/Magic Essex presumably but not yet confirmed went on to become Mother Righteous

and Diamond/Mutant Essex became Mister Sinister. Then went on to become many Misters Sinister.

I suppose it is more accurate to call them Essex when not referring to Mr. Sinister or one of his clones/psychic projections. Though it's slightly confusing given that we see OG Essex mutate into the Diamond form in IX#8.