Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DancingShade posted:

lol every time. Haven't they heard of pen names?

lol someone ITT is married to someone who used to work at Wilson, but I won't say who so you don't make fun of them.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

news that sounds cool but probably wont amount to much

https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1618226981430243330?s=20

That currency? Bitcoin.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1617374364927774721

the secret of the cancer tanks must not be given to the orks

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1617339804785512451

wew lad that last tweet. this war is breaking people.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

supersnowman posted:

Why not just no train new cavalry? Did they still expect the trench warfare to stop at that point in the war? Our dudes on foot keep getting mowed down by artillery and machinegun fire but if only we had dudes on top of large horse to make them move faster, surely they would somehow dodge the bullets and barb-wires.

Well first, because the Palestine campaign required large numbers of them, second, they were useful for dismounted auxiliary duties in the static phase, and third because they were invaluable in the breakout during the Hundred Days. They were needed as an exploitation arm - despite their vulnerabilities - just like we need the armoured branch today. They were also needed to act as screens and reconnaissance should manoeuvre warfare return, and of course this is why we retain armoured cavalry - also vulnerable in their LAVs and equivalents - today as well.

Ultimately, you do need both Heavy and Light Cavalry, for breakthrough, exploitation, screening and scouting. What form that takes, chariot, lancers, hussars etc. changes with time and technology but the concept remains essential.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Best Friends posted:

I’ve been mulling on how Ukraine is white enough that invading them is a unique historical evil to other white countries (zero westerners supported arming the Iraqi insurgency or the NVA). but, they’re on the periphery enough that we in the west are still allowed to coup them, and if they ban a bunch of political parties core white countries can go “it’s different there.”

it’s in this in-between space. they’re European on the television when it’s time for heartstrings and South Vietnam behind closed doors at the state department when it’s time to assess who we want running the place.

Aryan in the streets, Slav in the sheets

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1617374364927774721

the secret of the cancer tanks must not be given to the orks

how does the incredibly dense metal stop shells? Dark anglo-sciencemagiks

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Are we making DU specifically to put in tank armor or is it entirely a byproduct of nuclear fuel production?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

how does the incredibly dense metal stop shells? Dark anglo-sciencemagiks

Uranium is magical, like mithril.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If you look at the Union army during the ACW, they had tremendous difficulty both finding cavalry mounts and training riders, and that's despite inheriting much of the infrastructure of the peacetime Federal military. It's much more costly and time consuming to train riders, this is part of why in Feudal society knights had to train from childhood and a large-ish segment of the population was engaged only in that instead of productive labour. In Feudal Japan, the samurai started out as mounted archers and similarly were unproductive otherwise around the period of the Genpei War. It's a bit different in pastoral societies where herding is both productive labour and cavalry training of a sort, produces cavalry mounts, but for the most part in pre-industrial society providing riders and mounts was a large scale state project.

For example, when the Union finally did get better, and by 1864 most historians agree they were superior to the "natural horsemen" of the South who had been riding since childhood, it was the result of a massive training project, organizational reform, search for skilled officers etc. It's also why Unionist Cavalry in Missouri and Tennessee were invaluable, providing riders for rear-echelon and light cavalry duties the Union could not yet carry out. The biggest Union horse depot, at Giesboro near Washington, D.C., covered 600 acres and had stockyards, stables, and forage warehouses to keep 30,000 horses.Throughout the war the Confederate army relied on its soldiers, especially its cavalrymen, to provide their own mounts. There was no official organization to keep its army supplied with mounts. There you have why the Union won in a nutshell.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
imagine, if you will, if we put the magic metal in between layers of other materials, to form some kind of eldritch combination. A forbidden composite of metal and ceramic. God is dead.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

imagine, if you will, if we put the magic metal in between layers of other materials, to form some kind of eldritch combination. A forbidden composite of metal and ceramic. God is dead.

There's probably just export controls on nuclear materials.

I remember this came up in the context of safety, though I'm struggling to remember what the radioactive thing in question was, it might have even been radium or whatever they use for illuminated sights these days.

e: Tritium. Thanks.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:23 on Jan 25, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

If you look at the Union army during the ACW, they had tremendous difficulty both finding cavalry mounts and training riders, and that's despite inheriting much of the infrastructure of the peacetime Federal military. It's much more costly and time consuming to train riders, this is part of why in Feudal society knights had to train from childhood and a large-ish segment of the population was engaged only in that instead of productive labour. In Feudal Japan, the samurai started out as mounted archers and similarly were unproductive otherwise around the period of the Genpei War. It's a bit different in pastoral societies where herding is both productive labour and cavalry training of a sort, produces cavalry mounts, but for the most part in pre-industrial society providing riders and mounts was a large scale state project.

For example, when the Union finally did get better, and by 1864 most historians agree they were superior to the "natural horsemen" of the South who had been riding since childhood, it was the result of a massive training project, organizational reform, search for skilled officers etc. It's also why Unionist Cavalry in Missouri and Tennessee were invaluable, providing riders for rear-echelon and light cavalry duties the Union could not yet carry out. The biggest Union horse depot, at Giesboro near Washington, D.C., covered 600 acres and had stockyards, stables, and forage warehouses to keep 30,000 horses.Throughout the war the Confederate army relied on its soldiers, especially its cavalrymen, to provide their own mounts. There was no official organization to keep its army supplied with mounts. There you have why the Union won in a nutshell.

Wait are you telling me that material conditions and state leveraging of industry and resources are what win wars?? Absurd

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

Wait are you telling me that material conditions and state leveraging of industry and resources are what win wars?? Absurd

You joke, but part of the Lost Cause mythos is "how could Ohio farmhands beat the cream of West Point Cavalry graduates, the Southern gentry and the descendants of Cavaliers?"

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Depleted Uranium and other heavy metals are also quite chemically toxic, even if they aren’t very radioactive (hence “depleted”).

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

cancelled uranium

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Starsfan posted:

Man it's hard to place losses from modern warfare in the same reality as what was going on 80 years ago.. You read so much cope about how Russia is nearing their breaking point with 30,000 to 40,000 casualties in a year and then wikipedia tells you that like 600,000 Russian soldiers got surrounded and surrendered around Kiev one week back in WW2.

yeah and loving reddit keeps comparing it to US losses in vietnam or iraq

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Slavvy posted:

It's kind of interesting to think about, like could f16's being vectored on target by an AWACS get the drop on mig31's with their absurd radar and long range missiles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdFGP1vE80I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwPMQM2DmwQ

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Majorian posted:

Uranium is magical, like mithril.

wow hope russia never gets their hands on any...

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CODChimera posted:

yeah and loving reddit keeps comparing it to US losses in vietnam or iraq

It's funny because in a lot of ways it resembles the battles the US wasn't part of, in 1972 and 1975.

It's just that most Americans aren't really aware of it and swear the Ukrainian Army is nothing like the ARVN and the Ukrainian government nothing like the RVN.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'll let the team sports aficionados handle the comments on this one

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1618352743831474177

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Slavvy posted:

It's kind of interesting to think about, like could f16's being vectored on target by an AWACS get the drop on mig31's with their absurd radar and long range missiles?

I don't think the Ukrainians have any bvr missiles? Or if they did, how many do they have left? Because the Ukrainians have to fly low to stay under the horizon of Russian long range SAMs they would be trying to engage mig 31s flying faster and higher, with mig 29s or f16s at a lower altitude.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

many happy returns to z-man 🎂
https://twitter.com/senateforeign/status/1618364320731262976

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

In Feudal Japan, the samurai started out as mounted archers and similarly were unproductive otherwise around the period of the Genpei War.

That's one of the arguments that Bushido is made up bullshit. That it was their primary way of war and that they were always mounted archers. Bushido and the way of the sword crap all started up after they became a bureaucratic upper class because I guess you're not going to carry around a bow and arrows to show off how cool and special you are.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y8KXMq9tqg

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Zeroisanumber posted:

Drawing NATO in would take more political talent and juice than Zelensky has. Ukraine isn't valuable enough to risk NYC eating a nuke.

you say this and i agreed until quite recently, but the vibe i'm getting from european elites is that they're increasingly seeing this as an actual existential conflict for europe. if i'm seeing this in norway, it's almost certainly even more prevalent in poland and the baltics. it's very possible to imagine someone doing something stupid (like, say, blocading kaliningrad) and invoking article 5 when the russians respond with force, at which point it would be politically very difficult for NATO to not back them

i'm not saying that it will definitely happen, but i am no longer confident that it won't. the rhetoric has shifted over the past couple of months from framing arms shipments as an act of solidarity into something like "we cannot countenance the possibility of defeat in ukraine" as the equipment being sent gets heavier and we start digging into the materiel of our (pathetically small and few) active military units

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I wouldn’t be surprised if Australian M1A1s had DU in them and they just lied to the government about it. Technically it’s illegal to import any form of nuclear waste into the country unless there’s a specific treaty with another country (like the UK for example). But the military lies about poo poo all the loving time without consequences.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't think the Ukrainians have any bvr missiles? Or if they did, how many do they have left? Because the Ukrainians have to fly low to stay under the horizon of Russian long range SAMs they would be trying to engage mig 31s flying faster and higher, with mig 29s or f16s at a lower altitude.

Ukrainians have BVR missiles, but they're both SAR and shorter range than the Russian AR missiles. So a pretty damned bad matchup for Ukrainian fighters!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

you say this and i agreed until quite recently, but the vibe i'm getting from european elites is that they're increasingly seeing this as an actual existential conflict for europe. if i'm seeing this in norway, it's almost certainly even more prevalent in poland and the baltics. it's very possible to imagine someone doing something stupid (like, say, blocading kaliningrad) and invoking article 5 when the russians respond with force, at which point it would be politically very difficult for NATO to not back them

i'm not saying that it will definitely happen, but i am no longer confident that it won't. the rhetoric has shifted over the past couple of months from framing arms shipments as an act of solidarity into something like "we cannot countenance the possibility of defeat in ukraine" as the equipment being sent gets heavier and we start digging into the materiel of our (pathetically small and few) active military units

if russia wins in ukraine than the domino effect will cause more europeans to fall sway to putinism

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

V. Illych L. posted:

they do see it as existential and it's hilarious that they don't understand that the US is going to carve them up just as bad. The EU had decades to develop its own identity and failed and as a result, there's no passion for it. No one cares. No one wants to die for the EU. So it's just going to be eaten by the US cultural hegemon. Mediocrity is not a good ideology.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I forget, who is this nutjob? I think I saw their account get posted once or twice before.

https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/1618381943024017408

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Lostconfused posted:

That's one of the arguments that Bushido is made up bullshit. That it was their primary way of war and that they were always mounted archers. Bushido and the way of the sword crap all started up after they became a bureaucratic upper class because I guess you're not going to carry around a bow and arrows to show off how cool and special you are.

during the sengoku period their primary weapon became polearms, on foot

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

I forget, who is this nutjob? I think I saw their account get posted once or twice before.

She was a British Tory MP who married an American record executive and gradually lost her mind.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Frosted Flake posted:

There's probably just export controls on nuclear materials.

I remember this came up in the context of safety, though I'm struggling to remember what the radioactive thing in question was, it might have even been radium or whatever they use for illuminated sights these days.

e: Tritium. Thanks.

putting radioactive materials in sights doesnt seem very safe

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

NATO did a pretty excellent job of kneecapping the idea of any sort of collective European identity (and thus some kind of proper EU collective security arrangement) that didn't include America.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

British Tory MP

Oh, that explains a lot. Thank you.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Do people actually believe that this is true? Like, a full-scale nuclear exchange would be thousands of missiles, many with multiple independent warheads. There's no way the US doesn't get absolutely obliterated too, even if they manage to intercept a couple of hundred.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Lostconfused posted:

Once referred to by people obsessed with Russiagate as "Sherlock Holmes with rocket boots" because she was in the same crowd as the game theory guy and her insane ramblings were taken as gospel by the MSNBC crowd for a year or two.

Endman posted:

Do people actually believe that this is true? Like, a full-scale nuclear exchange would be thousands of missiles, many with multiple independent warheads. There's no way the US doesn't get absolutely obliterated too, even if they manage to intercept a couple of hundred.

Louise here is a Wasbappin level antirussia lunatic, but i suppose even she counts as a people.

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 00:08 on Jan 26, 2023

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Danann posted:

if russia wins in ukraine than the domino effect will cause more europeans to fall sway to putinism

the mechanism is obscure and they don't really say explicitly what they think will happen because no such answers are demanded of them - there is basically total consensus in our press on the issue, which paradoxically means that it goes almost completely unexamined. the point is that, increasingly, i'm getting the vibe that this is more than just a proxy war to our elites - it's a genuine ideological end-struggle which must be won. if you press them a little, they will say something about making sure that aggression doesn't pay or about the primacy of democratic values or whatever, but all of that feels very secondary.

Regarde Aduck posted:

they do see it as existential and it's hilarious that they don't understand that the US is going to carve them up just as bad. The EU had decades to develop its own identity and failed and as a result, there's no passion for it. No one cares. No one wants to die for the EU. So it's just going to be eaten by the US cultural hegemon. Mediocrity is not a good ideology.

the US has such enormous cultural influence over its european allies that it is honestly shocking to behold. i knew that it was deep, but i didn't realise that they could engineer a situation like what we saw with the leopard tanks recently, where one of germany's key demands was that the US also contribute, which was completely unacceptable and borderline treasonous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Once referred to by people obsessed with Russiagate as "Sherlock Holmes with rocket boots" because she was in the same crowd as the game theory guy and her insane ramblings were taken as gospel by the MSNBC crowd for a year or two.

Louise here is a Wasbappin level antirussia lunatic, but i suppose even she counts as a people.

And that explains why anyone would pay attention to her insane ramblings, thank you.

https://twitter.com/ThePollLady/status/1618100863649841161